PDA

View Full Version : Something besides Todd Ritchie...

czalgosz
12-15-2001, 12:14 PM
The Baseball Prospecus gives their take on the most recent Sox transactions (aside from Ritchie, of course)

Claimed RHP Ryan Kohlmeier off of waivers from the Orioles. [11/19]

Claimed OF-B Brian Simmons off of waivers from the Blue Jays; designated 3B/1B-R Herbert Perry and OF-R Julio Ramirez for assignment. [11/20]

Signed OF-R Julio Ramirez to a one-year contract and outrighted him to Charlotte; traded 3B/1B-R Herbert Perry to the Rangers for a PTBNL. [11/27]

Sending Herbert Perry away can mean something good or it can mean something bad. The good thing would be Joe Crede getting a long look in camp for a shot at being the Opening Day third baseman, allowing Jose Valentin to return to shortstop where he belongs. The bad thing would be continuing to jerk Valentin around in a utility role, just so that the great Royce Clayton could do something besides cash his checks.

I suppose it's possible that you could convince Clayton to live with life as a spot starter and regular against left-handers. Considering that even with last year's agonies he was a more effective player than either Alex Gonzalez, you can understand if he'd less than enthusiastic about agreeing to what's best for the team's lineup.

It's pretty likely that Ryan Kohlmeier will be outrighted off of the 40-man roster this winter, so unless the Orioles get all crazy for an honorary Tim Pugh waiver-wire war with the White Sox, he's probably looking at a great opportunity to get his career straightened out in Triple-A. There's something sort of sneaky about nabbing Brian Simmons back from the Jays, considering he was one of the better components of the Jumbo Wells/Mike Sirotka deal for the Jays. He's also easily replaceable talent, and will get a look as the fifth outfielder should the Sox have the roster space.

Pretty much echoes my views on the subject. Hits the nail on the head in the Royce Clayton / Jose Valentin / Joe Crede imbroglio.

Spiff
12-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Yeh finally someone in the media comes out says what we're all thinking.

Daver
12-15-2001, 12:22 PM
Ryan Kohlmeier throws salad I have no idea why the Sox picked him up.

dougs78
12-15-2001, 02:09 PM
Pretty much echoes my views on the subject. Hits the nail on the head in the Royce Clayton / Jose Valentin / Joe Crede imbroglio .

Great Vocab! you get the Merriam-Webster award for the day! Using 'imbroglio' correctly in a sentence is a fine accomplishment.

:)

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

Great Vocab! you get the Merriam-Webster award for the day! Using 'imbroglio' correctly in a sentence is a fine accomplishment.
Czal get the MW award for the day!!! :gulp:

czalgosz
12-15-2001, 02:29 PM
I'd like to thank the academy...

im·bro·glio (m-brly)
n. pl. im·bro·glios

1. a. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.
b. A confused or complicated disagreement.

2. A confused heap; a tangle.

I love 50-cent words.