PDA

View Full Version : Tribune 128 page comerative book

krohnjw
11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Don't know if anyone has posted this....but, I am in Illinois for 4 days and saw this at walmart for $12. It's a 128 page commerative book (softcover) that is with the magazines. It has some nice pictures (haven't actually read it yet). Just thought I would share.

Railsplitter
11-04-2005, 09:53 AM
The Waldenbooks at Straford Square Mall in Bloomingdale has it in the Magazine rack as well. BTW, I'm picking up every commorative magazine I can lay my hands on!

gosox83
11-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I bought it and it is Awesome.

Don't get me wrong, obviously, I hate the Tribune, but I couldn't resist.

The back of it has the score of every single game this year and the Winning or Losing pitcher and a real quick summary.

It was neat when I read about a game my brother and I went to on June 1st against the Angels.

After to walk - off wins the Sox were going for the sweep with Contreras vs. Byrd (sound familiar)

Anyway Ozzie decided to rest Paulie, and put Timo in at first base. He made a HUGE error, but we grabbed the lead thanks to Crazy Carl in the 6th.

Enter Kevin Walker and bye bye lead.

The ending was incredible as Frankie Rodriguez (just coming off the DL)

tried to preserve a 4 run lead, and after already walking in a run, Juan Uribe hit a ball a mile, but about 10 feet foul that would have been a walk - off grand slam had it stayed fair. Next pitch of course he struck out on a curve in the dirt, but it brought back memories of before I knew the destiny of 05.

GO SOX!!!!!

krohnjw
11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I am hoping to pick up a few more while I am here. I figure at worst I will get a few, laminate the covers, and make a nice montage to frame.

And yea, the tribune one is pretty nice with all of the recaps/stats/scores. Worth $12 IMO.

DaleJRFan
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I bought mine at Dominick's. I really like it and to be honest, I thought they did the best job of all of the magazines/newpapers putting out commemorative editions for the Sox (I bought like 3 or 4 different ones). Great Photography as well.

Hitmen77
11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes, I saw the Trib books at the local Osco - so they should be easy to find anywhere in the Chicago area.

I thought the Sun-Times was coming out with a publication too - but I haven't seen it anywhere yet (though I hear they have a special World Series section in today's paper).

mdep524
11-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I've been critical of the Trib's coverage all season, but there's no question this book- it's excellent! Great photography, good articles, and cool recaps. I liked the year-by-year rundown of every team in Sox history, from 1901 to 2005. I would definitely say it's worth it- it's the best of the bunch along with SI's.

BeefyD
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
The back of it has the score of every single game this year and the Winning or Losing pitcher and a real quick summary.

That is what sold me into buying a copy. Having those quick stats available, and being able analyze what place we came in every year is just golden.

Mots09
11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
for an out of state fan is there any link online to purchase this fine piece of literature?

:smile:

Iwritecode
11-04-2005, 11:49 AM
for an out of state fan is there any link online to purchase this fine piece of literature?

:smile:

It's on their website.

DenverSock
11-04-2005, 12:21 PM
It's on their website.

You gave me a similar answer earlier and I ordered it. Had to pay shipping and handling and couldn't get it at a discount, but as should be obvious don't live in the Chicago area.

SouthSideHitman
11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
This was the only Sox commemorative availible out here in Beloit, Wisconsin and I naturally picked it up as soon as I saw it and the bookstore and was favorably impressed. The emphasis is clearly on the photos rather than the writing, but I think that's ok, given the oversaturation we've had of people trying to find new things to say about the Sox ever since the playoffs started. The team history, roster and season recap in the back are great features.

Iwritecode
11-04-2005, 01:15 PM
You gave me a similar answer earlier and I ordered it. Had to pay shipping and handling and couldn't get it at a discount, but as should be obvious don't live in the Chicago area.

It's on Ebay too. :wink:

Madvora
11-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I just grabbed one at Walden Books too. I also picked up two Sports Illustrated isssues. One with Scotty on the front hitting the game 2 home run and the commemorative issuse they have out.

I can't get enough of this stuff. I'm dying a big DVD set.

richb2
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I live in san jose california now and I just ordered the book-if you live out of state you can cal 1800-222-4657 and you can order it that way-takes 4-8 days to get delievered by ups-is there away to order the commerative issuse of sports illustatred world series one if you live out of state?

antitwins13
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Does this mean the Trib boycott is off?

Dick Allen
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes, I saw the Trib books at the local Osco - so they should be easy to find anywhere in the Chicago area.

I thought the Sun-Times was coming out with a publication too - but I haven't seen it anywhere yet (though I hear they have a special World Series section in today's paper).Sun-Times has been advertising their book for pre-orders, they're not out yet. They will have both a hard-cover and soft-cover version.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-04-2005, 07:42 PM

No - at least not for me. I liked their book refused to give my money to the White Sox bashing organization who owns the Cubs.

I bought a Street & Smiths version and I am waiting for the Sun Times version to come out. I'm buying the World Series DVD on Amazon upon release - 30% off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXWX6Q/102-1789142-6853743?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

Caduceus
11-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I saw it. I bought it. It was well worth the money, and to top it all off the pictures are great.

RadioheadRocks
11-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Out of state here... called in my order this afternoon and looking forward to receiving my copy! I've also ordered the book from the Sun-Times and did the Sports Illustrated subscription. Between all that and the pennants, caps, t-shirts, etc. I'm slowly going broke but it's all good!

Vernam
11-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Does this mean the Trib boycott is off?Just steal it!

I wonder if the Sun-Times book will include a timeline of Moronotti's transition from Sox hater to bandwagoneer. He was glaringly -- thankfully -- absent from today's special section. They had a full page devoted to columns by Couch, Telander, Padilla, and De Luca, but the Moronic One was MIA. :thumbsup:

Vernam

bahn1225
11-04-2005, 09:21 PM
This book is also available nationwide at all Barnes and Noble bookstores.

sox84
11-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Stumbled across one at a Sams club in Springfield IL, may be a possibility at other Sams within Illinois. Another WS advantage is that people and media around Cardinal/cub country here are now paying attention to the Sox.

Brian26
11-08-2005, 09:34 PM
I finished reading the Trib book this weekend. It's pretty light reading because of all the photos, but it's a great keepsake and well-worth the money. I'm working on the Sun-Times book next. So far, the Sun-Times book has far more substantial articles (although they are essentially reprints of post-game stories from throughout the season) and a lot of great photos. The Sun-Times book is probably a shade better than the Trib book, IMHO.

ChiSoxGirl
11-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I finished reading the Trib book this weekend. It's pretty light reading because of all the photos, but it's a great keepsake and well-worth the money. I'm working on the Sun-Times book next. So far, the Sun-Times book has far more substantial articles (although they are essentially reprints of post-game stories from throughout the season) and a lot of great photos. The Sun-Times book is probably a shade better than the Trib book, IMHO.

I completely agree with you on the Trib's book- GREAT, easy read. :smile: Now, where'd you find the Sun-Times book? I'd heard it was released the other day and went to Osco this afternoon after work and didn't find it....

Dick Allen
11-09-2005, 12:45 PM
I completely agree with you on the Trib's book- GREAT, easy read. :smile: Now, where'd you find the Sun-Times book? I'd heard it was released the other day and went to Osco this afternoon after work and didn't find it....I found mine at Barnes & Noble (Arlington Hts.). Softcover version.

Blob
11-09-2005, 12:48 PM
No - at least not for me. I liked their book refused to give my money to the White Sox bashing organization who owns the Cubs.

I bought a Street & Smiths version and I am waiting for the Sun Times version to come out. I'm buying the World Series DVD on Amazon upon release - 30% off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXWX6Q/102-1789142-6853743?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

It's cheaper at deepdiscountdvd.com. $11.96 free shipping!

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SON034069

bahn1225
11-09-2005, 01:57 PM
The Sun-Times book is probably a shade better than the Trib book, IMHO.

Can that book be purchased with anything written by this it torn out?
:moron

jortafan
11-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Can that book be purchased with anything written by this it torn out?
:moron

Relax. There's only one Mariotti column re-printed in the entire 128-page book. And it's a piece he wrote the day after the World Series, so none of his constant sniping at the Sox throughout the season was deemed worthy of preservation by the Sun-Times.

In fact, most of the content is game stories from games the Sun-Times deemed most significant, along with a few features that the paper ran throughout the summer. There's quite a bit of Carol Slezak's writing included in the book. On the whole, a nice job by the Sun-Times in preparing something to remember the season by.

Insofar as comparing the two papers' attempts at souvenir books, the Tribune book is primarily a photograph thing, with some copy from the paper throughout the season.

The Sun-Times book, by comparison, was an attempt to show off the paper's writing, with a few photographs added to enhance the project. Which is what makes it particularly pathetic that the Sun-Times could only come up with one piece from their lead columnist (Mariotti) to include in their big project.

Brian26
11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I completely agree with you on the Trib's book- GREAT, easy read. :smile: Now, where'd you find the Sun-Times book? I'd heard it was released the other day and went to Osco this afternoon after work and didn't find it....

It's out there, CSG. Just check around. I picked mine up at the Borders on Michigan Avenue on Sunday afternoon. Wilkes mentioned he got his in Schaumburg. I was considering holding out for the hardcover, but I decided to get the softcover while it was there.

Jortafan- you summed up the books terrificly. The Trib book is visually more appealing and has some great photos, but the Sun-Times book actually is packed with better content, including a lot of great stories. I wish they would have included some other game pieces (they skipped over Buehrle's 1hr 39min game, Timo's Memorial Day win, AJ's walkoff against the Dodgers), but it's a good read.

WhiteSox05Champs
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
The Sun-Times hardcover is available on Amazon.com. I just picked it and the softcover Trib up :)

miker
11-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by antitwins13

Just steal it!

I can see it now in tomorrow's Tribune...

Classless Sox Fans Steal Commemorative Book
We can't even do something nice for these people

johnny_mostil
11-10-2005, 07:43 PM
This book is also available nationwide at all Barnes and Noble bookstores.

I can confirm that. I bought mine in Plano, Texas, at the B&N.

Hitmen77
11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
I still haven't seen the Sun Times book in stores.