PDA

View Full Version : A message to the anti-Dye to first movement!

antitwins13
11-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Ok guys, I finally am willing to jump on the anti-Dye to first bandwagon. After much thought I realize that it wouldn't be in the best interest of the team to move a gold-glove right fielder to first, but if Konerko does leave I was thinking of possible first baseman to replace him and I came up with one. Why is nobody talking about going after Mike Sweeney if Konerko leaves? The Royals are always willing to drop payroll for prospects and Sweeney would give us a .300 hitter who has 25-30 HR potential and drives in a lot of runs. He also has a good reputation of being a solid clubhouse leader.

Soxzilla
11-04-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm pretty sure Sweeney doesn't want to come to Chicago, I believe if he moves, it would only be to a west coast team.

Soxfanspcu11
11-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure Sweeney doesn't want to come to Chicago, I believe if he moves, it would only be to a west coast team.

Why not? Is it because of the way White Sox fans have treated him? Because it's a division rival? Or are you saying that the Royals wouldn't want to trade him to the Sox? I probably don't know something here but I have no idea why he wouldn't want to come! Please let me know.

Banix12
11-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Why not? Is it because of the way White Sox fans have treated him? Because it's a division rival? Or are you saying that the Royals wouldn't want to trade him to the Sox? I probably don't know something here but I have no idea why he wouldn't want to come! Please let me know.

I'm pretty sure Sweeney has a limited no-trade clause and the White Sox are one of the teams he can't be traded to. I'm not positive but I think that is the case. Certainly he could give up the clause if a trade was enacted but he has never seemed like the kind of guy to compromise such a thing

Banix12
11-04-2005, 02:31 AM
deOk guys, I finally am willing to jump on the anti-Dye to first bandwagon. After much thought I realize that it wouldn't be in the best interest of the team to move a gold-glove right fielder to first, but if Konerko does leave I was thinking of possible first baseman to replace him and I came up with one. Why is nobody talking about going after Mike Sweeney if Konerko leaves? The Royals are always willing to drop payroll for prospects and Sweeney would give us a .300 hitter who has 25-30 HR potential and drives in a lot of runs. He also has a good reputation of being a solid clubhouse leader.

I didn't know you guys had organized into a movement.

I don't really care either way if he gets moved to 1st, the coaches know better what Dye can and cannot do, anything I can say on his 1b ability would be guess work.

However I don't see any harm in considering it, especially if the sox are stuck looking at various retreads like Travis Lee and JT Snow, defensive liabilities like Kevin Millar and Matt LeCroy, and Mark Grace clones like Overbay and Gload.

I still think Konerko will be back and I also think that if he doesn't come back and the sox are stuck looking around for a new 1b, there are solutions that none of us here are thinking about that the sox have on the table. I sure as hell wasn't thinking about Paul Konerko much when the white sox first traded for him.

Still, even if Dye won't be the first baseman next year, a little time at 1st in spring training might not be the worst idea. Just as an emergency backup kind of thing.

34 Inch Stick
11-04-2005, 09:01 AM

I don't think the Royals would be willing to trade him within the division until late in the season.

I seem to remeber Sweeney only wanting to go west.

It would be a superior move, but it is not going to happen.

daveeym
11-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Sweeney doesn't want to come to Chicago, I believe if he moves, it would only be to a west coast team. You know what, I'm sick of hearing this. Maybe if you're being shopped to the royals this makes sense (even though he's already there) but it's all a negotiating ploy and a bunch of BS. I'm sure Sweeney would jump at the chance to come to the world series champs. If he wants out to the west coast so bad he'll just play out his contract and not ask for an extension from the Sox and hit the free agent market.

Palehose13
11-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Has anyone in the Sox organization actually said that Dye is being considered to play first base or is this a "rumor gone wild"?

daveeym
11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Has anyone in the Sox organization actually said that Dye is being considered to play first base or is this a "rumor gone wild"?Hangar gone wild. He's currently campaigning for it in the clubhouse.

Deuce
11-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Cap't Sweeney is not coming to Chicago. He'd have to take that stupid "C" off his uniform first, which won't happen.

Deuce

Deuce
11-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Has anyone in the Sox organization actually said that Dye is being considered to play first base or is this a "rumor gone wild"?

I think it is just a rumor, though he did play the spot in July when Konerko had some time off. In all, Dye can play first. And given his age, we may want to make the change. Nothing is official though, and probably won't be until the fate of Paulie is known.

Deuce

Palehose13
11-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Hangar gone wild. He's currently campaigning for it in the clubhouse.

But I thought he saw enough in the first 5 days of the season and wanted the "Dye experiment" to end.

Banix12
11-04-2005, 03:44 PM
You know what, I'm sick of hearing this. Maybe if you're being shopped to the royals this makes sense (even though he's already there) but it's all a negotiating ploy and a bunch of BS. I'm sure Sweeney would jump at the chance to come to the world series champs. If he wants out to the west coast so bad he'll just play out his contract and not ask for an extension from the Sox and hit the free agent market.

He has had every opprotunity to leave KC and he is still there. All he has had to do is demand a trade. I think at one time he even had the right to void his contract, though I am not certain.

- He has a limited no-trade clause which only allows him to be traded to 8 teams without his consent. (Oakland, Chicago Cubs, Arizona, Seattle, San Diego, LA Dodgers, LA Angels, and San Francisco)
- His salary bumps to 12.5 million dollars a season if he is traded and he is signed through 2007.

He also hasn't played in more than 126 games a season or gotten 500 ABs a season since 2001. He also hasn't played 1b regularly since 2002. All this mostly because of injury. Few more red flags. His walk totals have gone down the last two years, his strikeout totals are up. He doesn't seem to be anywhere near the player he was just 4 years ago.

12.5 million dollar injury prone DH/1b, not really interested.

daveeym
11-04-2005, 04:04 PM
He has had every opprotunity to leave KC and he is still there. All he has had to do is demand a trade. I think at one time he even had the right to void his contract, though I am not certain.

- He has a limited no-trade clause which only allows him to be traded to 8 teams without his consent. (Oakland, Chicago Cubs, Arizona, Seattle, San Diego, LA Dodgers, LA Angels, and San Francisco)
- His salary bumps to 12.5 million dollars a season if he is traded and he is signed through 2007.

He also hasn't played in more than 126 games a season or gotten 500 ABs a season since 2001. He also hasn't played 1b regularly since 2002. All this mostly because of injury. Few more red flags. His walk totals have gone down the last two years, his strikeout totals are up. He doesn't seem to be anywhere near the player he was just 4 years ago.

12.5 million dollar injury prone DH/1b, not really interested. Didn't say I was interested now did I?:cool: Just saying this "West Coast" no trade crap is overstated and just a negotiating ploy. Most use that so if they get traded to a ****ty or mediocre team it'll be on the west coast. Most will waive the no trade or sing a different tune if they're going to a contender.

Hmm want to be traded to the reds? "Uhm no, west coast only."
Pirates? "uhm no west coast only."
World champion white sox? "uhm, no, uhm let me think about it, what perks are you offering?"

Deuce
11-04-2005, 04:09 PM
But I thought he saw enough in the first 5 days of the season and wanted the "Dye experiment" to end.

Actually, that shouldn't be in teal. :wink:

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Mike Sweeney is too "ouchy" for my tastes.His bad back
problems make him a risk at best.Anyhow,he doesn't want to
play for the Pale Hose.I still think Konerko can be resigned.
If he can't, KW will use the money wisely to put the Sox
into position to contend for the WS again in 2006.

Banix12
11-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Didn't say I was interested now did I?:cool: Just saying this "West Coast" no trade crap is overstated and just a negotiating ploy. Most use that so if they get traded to a ****ty or mediocre team it'll be on the west coast. Most will waive the no trade or sing a different tune if they're going to a contender.

Hmm want to be traded to the reds? "Uhm no, west coast only."
Pirates? "uhm no west coast only."
World champion white sox? "uhm, no, uhm let me think about it, what perks are you offering?"

I wasn't really commenting on your interest. It's mostly Sweeney's interest in going somewhere else. The second half of the post was unrelated to your comment. Every year around the trade deadline his name gets thrown around. He has had opprotunities to go to teams in playoff hunts before and he is still in KC.

He might consider a trade to the white sox but I sincerely doubt he would go through with it. He has been incredibly loyal to KC, he seems comfortable there even though they aren't winning and he put that no-trade in there for a reason. Not every player is willing to waive that no-trade and Sweeney strikes me as one of those guys.