PDA

View Full Version : Meal Money

RoundingThird
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Why do MLB players still receive meal money? When the lowest paid MLB player gets ~325k a year, I don't think he needs a supplemental food stipend.

LuvSox
11-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Hey, why not. If it's something they can negotiate through their union, more power to them.

voodoochile
11-03-2005, 10:34 PM
It's in the CBA and honestly it's a pretty common thing. I mean if you require people to go on the road to work, most companies will reimburse you for your meals and room.

I have driven to a couple of classroom outings for my job with Chili's. They feed us and then give us a per-mile stipend for car expenses. It is more than enough to cover gas and is based on current estimates for wear and tear. Since you tend to spend in lump sums, you effectively get bonuses on your paychecks for driving to a class.

Daver
11-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Why do MLB players still receive meal money? When the lowest paid MLB player gets ~325k a year, I don't think he needs a supplemental food stipend.

For the same reason they stay in four star hotels when on the road, it is part of the CBA, and has been for a long time. The per diem and the accomadations came into to play in the days before FA, when players worked in the offseason to supplement their income, I would guess that eventually it will be revisited.

RoundingThird
11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
It's in the CBA and honestly it's a pretty common thing. I mean if you require people to go on the road to work, most companies will reimburse you for your meals and room.

I have driven to a couple of classroom outings for my job with Chili's. They feed us and then give us a per-mile stipend for car expenses. It is more than enough to cover gas and is based on current estimates for wear and tear. Since you tend to spend in lump sums, you effectively get bonuses on your paychecks for driving to a class.

But everyone is going to eat anyway, might as well make the players pay for their own meals themselves.

And MLB players get free food anyway in the daily pre- and post-game spreads.

I didn't know it was bargained for by their union, so that makes sense. Do you know how much per day it is? I wonder how much a year's worth of meal money adds up to.

Daver
11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I didn't know it was bargained for by their union, so that makes sense. Do you know how much per day it is? I wonder how much a year's worth of meal money adds up to.

Read the CBA, it is in there, I don't remember the amount per day.

whitesoxwilkes
11-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Read the CBA, it is in there, I don't remember the amount per day.

$76 per day.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-03-2005, 11:31 PM
But everyone is going to eat anyway, might as well make the players pay for their own meals themselves.

And MLB players get free food anyway in the daily pre- and post-game spreads.

Actually this is NOT true. In fact the ballclub does not provide pre and post game meals.

An article about World Series shares in the Wall Street Journal - subscription based but you can read at your library - The Windfall Classic October 21 by Jon Weinbach - which is an article about World Series win shares given to non team members such as the clubhouse manager.

Vince Fresso, clubhouse manager for the White Sox, is in charge of the pre and post game meals. He pays for all of the meals out of pocket (as do all clubhouse managers). From the article:

"The more you make, the more you tend to give away," says Mr. Mussina, who made $19 million this season. Players and coaches also are expected to add gratuities to the daily "dues" they pay to clubhouse managers at home and on the road. (The dues cover food and drinks, which clubhouse managers pay for out of their own pockets).
While there's no set fee for dues, players on several teams said the accepted minimum is about $45 a day for rookies, though many high-salaried veterans give $400 or $500 for a three-game series. At home, players typically pay their own clubhouse manager and attendants every few weeks, or in a lump sum at the season's end.

When teams travel, the tipping routine usually resembles the scene inside the visiting clubhouse in Anaheim after a game last month. A steady procession of Tampa Bay Devil Rays players -- some of them half-naked and holding plates piled with pasta and salmon -- handed over checks or fistfuls of cash to Brian "Bubba" Harkins, the Angels' visiting clubhouse manager. In another corner of the room, designated-hitter Aubrey Huff asked if anyone had change for a $100 bill, while outfielder Carl Crawford slyly slipped greenbacks to a couple of clubbies. "I'm a concierge, a caterer and a confidant to these guys," says Mr. Harkins, who arrives at the stadium at 9 a.m. for evening games and often doesn't leave until midnight.

SOXintheBURGH
11-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Well.. its officially November 4th now...

Tell me again when Batteries report?

The Racehorse
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
$76 per day.

If I ate $76 of food per day, I'd weight 700lbs.
:thud:

... but bar tabs are a different matter. :redneck

:gulp:

cleanwsox
11-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Just imagine how many frozen pizzas you could get. Especially if you found a deal like 4 for $10. Mmmmm

The Racehorse
11-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Just imagine how many frozen pizzas you could get. Especially if you found a deal like 4 for $10. Mmmmm

heh, heh... frozen pizzas and natural light, awe yeah. :D:

voodoochile
11-04-2005, 01:15 PM

These guys aren't nuking frozen pizza in the room. They eat at steak houses and reputable places - more so since they are on the road. You don't risk eating in a place where some dumbass might tamper with your food to try and give his team an edge.

I remember back in 1990 or 1991 a good chunk of the then Oakland A's came into the Houlihan's I was managing after the DR closed. It was about 15 people including Dave Henderson and a few other names who escape me at the moment and of course their posse of hanger-onners. That was about 12:30 after a late game. We set up a table in the DR for them anyway so they didn't have to sit in the crowded bar and be hassled. They had to order off the limited bar menu though I wasn't reopening the entire kitchen for them. They tipped the waiter like $50 - he stayed just to wait on them so it was good for him too.

Still, it isn't hard to run up a food bill when eating on the road.

bobowhite
11-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Because the players are accustomed to the per diem from when they are minor leaguers, and I brook no despising the minor leaguers per diem, that is all that keeps many minors from eating only catfood, I think the future CBAs will continue to have a per diem.

Not to mention that the taxes work out better for the ownership in giving a per diem than just raising the salary that amount.