PDA

View Full Version : First trade of the offseason

Jjav829
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
The Nats actually managed to find a taker for Vinny Castilla. They traded him to the Padres for Brian Lawrence. Not bad for the Nats. Castilla was brutal and they want to start Zimmerman. Lawrence didn't have a good 2005, but if he can get back to his 2003/2004 form he is a decent back of the rotation guy. I don't know why the Padres want Castilla...

Now if Bowden can manage to get rid of Christian Guzman (not likely) then he will have made up for his two awful 2004 offseason signings.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2213182)

buehrle4cy05
11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Horrible trade for Vinny. He goes from a great year in Colorado (thanks to the thin air), then goes to a terrible hitter's park in RFK in 2005, and he now goes to an even worse one in 2006.

Meanwhile, I think the Nats got a pretty good deal out of it.

ChiSoxRowand
11-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Is Joe Randa a free agent?

Jjav829
11-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Is Joe Randa a free agent?

Yes. The Padres could have re-signed him for less than Castilla is making and probably gotten more production. Or they could have pursued someone like Bill Mueller. But Vinny Castilla? :?:

HotelWhiteSox
11-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Padres setting their goals up to winning the divison with a win total in the 70s? Sounds like a real dumb deal

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes. The Padres could have re-signed him for less than Castilla is making and probably gotten more production. Or they could have pursued someone like Bill Mueller. But Vinny Castilla? :?:This guy is a poster child for the Coors Field effect. He hit 35-40 HR just about every year with Colorado, and never more than 25 for any other team.

Mr. White Sox
11-03-2005, 11:44 PM
The Nats actually managed to find a taker for Vinny Castilla. They traded him to the Padres for Brian Lawrence. Not bad for the Nats. Castilla was brutal and they want to start Zimmerman. Lawrence didn't have a good 2005, but if he can get back to his 2003/2004 form he is a decent back of the rotation guy. I don't know why the Padres want Castilla...

Now if Bowden can manage to get rid of Christian Guzman (not likely) then he will have made up for his two awful 2004 offseason signings.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2213182)

Wow, what a terrible, terrible trade for San Diego. They got a stopgap 38 year old 3B and traded away a 29 year old pitcher with much more value than that. That trade makes no sense to me. On the other hand, normally incompetent Jim Bowden traded away $3 million in waste money and got a pitcher with upside and an opening for their stud rookie Ryan Zimmerman. Wow.

Kevin Towers is just trying to make the Padres worse to soften up the competition for the World Series once he gets hired by Boston. Red Sox in 5 over San Diego; Vinny Castilla 0/12 7K.

Hawk Harrelson
11-03-2005, 11:58 PM
I don't quite understand what the Padres were thinking here. Good trade for the Nats. Castilla was bad last year and will only get worse as he gets older and goes to that park. Not that Lawrence is good, but he could at least be used as a middle reliever.

doublem23
11-04-2005, 03:05 AM
:?:

I'm not going to lie, I am stunned.

Banix12
11-04-2005, 03:22 AM
I knew the Padres were desperate for power out of 3b, but not this desperate. On the bright side, he will get to play in Coors more than he normally would.

Good deal for the nats, he should do well pitching in RFK

soxfanatlanta
11-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I know they need help at 3rd base, but Vinny? Then again, you are only giving up a pitcher with a 4.83 ERA, who worked in one of the most pitcher-friendly ballparks out there.

IMHO - SD is not going to be hurt defensively, and the Nats can roll out the red carpet for Zimmerman, and get some innings from Lawrence.

Advantage: Washington.

cbrownson13
11-04-2005, 09:06 AM
The Padres sent Brian Lawrence and cash to the Nationals for Vinny Castilla, per ESPN.

Tragg
11-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Don't the padres have a ton of third-basemen? Burroughs, Randa, Nevin and now Castilla?

Oh, well, makes it that much easier for us to get Joe Randa

daveeym
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Wow, what a terrible, terrible trade for San Diego. They got a stopgap 38 year old I was gonna ask, Isn't Castilla like 50? But 38 is almost there unless your name is Julio Franco.

Jjav829
11-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Don't the padres have a ton of third-basemen? Burroughs, Randa, Nevin and now Castilla?

Oh, well, makes it that much easier for us to get Joe Randa

Uhh, not quite. They traded Nevin in July (and he hasn't played 3B in a few years). Randa is a free agent and Burroughs has been a bust.

mdep524
11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Terrible trade for San Diego. What the heck are they thinking?

Mr. White Sox
11-04-2005, 05:41 PM
I know they need help at 3rd base, but Vinny? Then again, you are only giving up a pitcher with a 4.83 ERA, who worked in one of the most pitcher-friendly ballparks out there.

IMHO - SD is not going to be hurt defensively, and the Nats can roll out the red carpet for Zimmerman, and get some innings from Lawrence.

Advantage: Washington.

His career ERA is 4.10, and he had ERA's of 3.45, 3.69, 4.15, 4.12 his last four years. He's better than people give him credit for, and he's going to an even more pitcher-friendly ballpark in Washington. I think his ERA will be under 4.00 next year, though he'll hover around .500 or less thanks to Washington's offense.

JUribe1989
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I basically have no basis for this, but I think Castilla will hit decent in San Diego. He is one of the best defensive third basemen in the league also. Not that bad of a deal for San Diego.

Mr. White Sox
11-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I basically have no basis for this, but I think Castilla will hit decent in San Diego. He is one of the best defensive third basemen in the league also. Not that bad of a deal for San Diego.

Well, at least we have a dissenting opinion here :smile:...

Vinny Castilla : Defensive prowess at 3B :: Royce Clayton : Defensive prowess at SS

Vinny Castilla will be hitting in San Diego and he's now a year older. If he puts up bigger numbers than last year, it's either roids or a miracle. We'll see I guess.

The_Floridian
11-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a theory that the NL West is cursed. If you win the division, it destroys your team.

2002: D-Backs win division, but Gonzo gets hurt right before the end of the season. They get bounced in the playoffs and have been dealing with money issues/stadium paybacks/bad signings/back-loaded contracts ever since.

2003: Giants win division and blow huge advantage in Game 6 of the World Series. The following year, they choke away the Wild Card (along with some other team) and lose Bonds for the season this year.

2004: Dodgers win division. Paul DePodesta trades away LoDuca and Mota for Brad Penny in mid-season, then signs Jose Valentin, JD Drew and Jeff Kent in the offseason. Dodgers crash and DePodesta takes it on the heel and toe as of last week.

2005: Padres win division despite their best efforts. After going three and out in the first round of the playoffs, they prepare for an off season that will see them lose Trevor Hoffman, Brian Giles and Ramon Hernandez. They decide to balance this loss by trading a 29-year old starter for aging Vinny Castilla and his albatross contract.

Rockies in '06? Wouldn't surprise me. Anyone can win this division. After this trade, I'm becoming convinced that no one wants to.

Chips
11-04-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a theory that the NL West is cursed. If you win the division, it destroys your team.

2002: D-Backs win division, but Gonzo gets hurt right before the end of the season. They get bounced in the playoffs and have been dealing with money issues/stadium paybacks/bad signings/back-loaded contracts ever since.

2003: Giants win division and blow huge advantage in Game 6 of the World Series. The following year, they choke away the Wild Card (along with some other team) and lose Bonds for the season this year.

2004: Dodgers win division. Paul DePodesta trades away LoDuca and Mota for Brad Penny in mid-season, then signs Jose Valentin, JD Drew and Jeff Kent in the offseason. Dodgers crash and DePodesta takes it on the heel and toe as of last week.

2005: Padres win division despite their best efforts. After going three and out in the first round of the playoffs, they prepare for an off season that will see them lose Trevor Hoffman, Brian Giles and Ramon Hernandez. They decide to balance this loss by trading a 29-year old starter for aging Vinny Castilla and his albatross contract.

Rockies in '06? Wouldn't surprise me. Anyone can win this division. After this trade, I'm becoming convinced that no one wants to.

I like the Dodgers to win it in 2006.