PDA

View Full Version : Now that you got one, would you be happy if that was it?

It's Time
11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Not me. If someone told me that a White Sox championship would be guaranteed to me this year but it would be the only one they would win in the next 80 years, I'd say get bent.

In fact, if they proceed to go in the tank in coming years (unlikely) I might be more ticked off than I was before winning one.

Winning=greed and wanting more.

Thoughts.

RedPinStripes
11-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Not me. If someone told me that a White Sox championship would be guaranteed to me this year but it would be the only one they would win in the next 80 years, I'd say get bent.

In fact, if they proceed to go in the tank in coming years (unlikely) I might be more ticked off than I was before winning one.

Thoughts.

Can't you just enjoy the winter? This is one ****ing season since 1917 that Sox fans have nothing to bitch about.

Deuce
11-03-2005, 09:47 PM
We got one. I will always want more. But three generations have passed since 1917, so we should be thankful we got this one.

Deuce

RedPinStripes
11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
We got one. I will always want more. But three generations have passed since 1917, so we should be thankful we got this one.

Deuce

Thank you.

havelj
11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
I am at peace.

zach23
11-03-2005, 09:55 PM
There are a lot of Sox fans who passed away recently and didn't get to see this. I am sure they would gladly have taken this one knowing there wouldn't be another for a long time.
I hope they win a bunch more soon, but if they don't it will never diminish this for me. I will take this one and be happy for the rest of my life.

Dickie Kerr
11-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Exactly, enjoy the off season. I intend to be at peace all winter watching Da Bears win the Super Bowl, and then turning into my usual, cranky cantankerous(sp?) Sox fan ways in the first week of April, demanding a second straight perfect season.

1951Campbell
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
If they go to the playoffs, fine.

If they go all 1984 on us in 2006, I'll be pissed. But the important thing is that they try. If they try, in the end, how pissed can we be?

Lip Man 1
11-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I've seen a World Series title in my lifetime. I'm content.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
You always hope...but shedding tears of joy actually seeing, feeling and enjoying what I did...will always placate me from October 2005, forever.

nebraskasox
11-03-2005, 10:13 PM
If they go to the playoffs, fine.

If they go all 1984 on us in 2006, I'll be pissed. But the important thing is that they try. If they try, in the end, how pissed can we be?

I feel the same way. I just want them to compete and play up to their capabilities. If they do that, they should contend and, hopefully, make the playoffs. I'd like to see this team in the playoffs with some regularity instead of once every 5-10 years. That would give me plenty to cheer about.

Daver
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Lip

I have waited thirty years for one.

If I have to wait thirty more, so be it.

Something tells me I won't have to wait that long.

rdivaldi
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Lip

I started having fears that I wouldn't live to see a White Sox World Series championship back in 2001. Now that they've won, I'll be content for a couple of years. But if they go 88 years again, I'll be dead and P.O.'ed.

I'd like my son to be able to enjoy multiple championships in his lifetime.

soxfanatlanta
11-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I always say at the begining of the season, "As long as they are above .500, I'll be happy" Sure, I'd love to see them win it all again, but living in Bravos territory for 10+ years, I appreciate how hard it is to put it all together a winning season, and take home the ring.

AFAIK, this year was Camelot; my dad, my friends, and I saw it happen. (My son was sleeping when they won, but I'll show him the framed headlines in case he doesn't get the chance) Nothing will take it away.

DassallI'msayin'

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 11:08 PM

Lip

Ditto. A pennant or two, another World Series would be great but totally unnecessary. It's an inner peace that's hard to explain. Even when the cubune pulls BS like they did with Furcal, I just don't care anymore. I do, however, seem to where my World Championship hat everywhere, including court - I'm a lawyer. Even the bailiffs have noticed. To watch the Sox win the World Series with my wife and kids hugging and crying, I can honestly say it doesn't matter if it happens again. I am a happy man.

voodoochile
11-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Ask me again in 20 years...

cheeses_h_rice
11-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Only in the last 5 years have I really started hankering for another Bears title, so I'd probably be OK with the Sox not winning another WS for the next 10 years or so.

But, who knows, if they make the playoffs again, I just know I'd be bummed they didn't go all the way.

It's Time
11-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Ditto. A pennant or two, another World Series would be great but totally unnecessary. It's an inner peace that's hard to explain. Even when the cubune pulls BS like they did with Furcal, I just don't care anymore. I do, however, seem to where my World Championship hat everywhere, including court - I'm a lawyer. Even the bailiffs have noticed. To watch the Sox win the World Series with my wife and kids hugging and crying, I can honestly say it doesn't matter if it happens again. I am a happy man.

What's this Furcal BS you mentioned?

gobears1987
11-03-2005, 11:36 PM

DeuceAmen, I now understand why the BoSox fans took getting swept so easily.

FarWestChicago
11-04-2005, 12:04 AM

LipRight on, Lip! :thumbsup:

SaltyPretzel
11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I don't want to understate how important this championship means to us. But if we become complacent with 1 World Series win in our lifetimes, we're no better than the lemmings up North who couldnít care less about winning.

Foulke You
11-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I think if we didn't make it next year, we would feel as Red Sox fans did this year. Sure, you're upset and disappointed, but the burn and despair you felt before the World Series win just won't quite be there. That is how important that World Series was to White Sox fans. It is like a giant burden has been lifted off our shoulders and the future looks very bright. That being said, I had so much fun this October, let's do it again!:cool:

FarWestChicago
11-04-2005, 01:21 AM
I don't want to understate how important this championship means to us. But if we become complacent with 1 World Series win in our lifetimes, we're no better than the lemmings up North who couldnít care less about winning.Oh shut up. That's so over the top it's pure trolling. :dtroll:

RadioheadRocks
11-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Like everyone else here I've waited a lifetime and I'm enjoying it for all it's worth... everything else from here on out is gravy!!! (but I certainly won't complain if we win another one!!!)

fquaye149
11-04-2005, 01:50 AM

Thoughts.

This is a pretty stupid question, no offense. If you had asked before the WS it might be worth disussing - would you trade 10 years of bad baseball for a WS. Now that we have it though, what are we supposed to settle for not winning? Every baseball fan should want to win as much as possible. Winning the world series won't change that. We're not cub fans.

edit: I'm not disagreeing with West and Lip - if we never win one again, I'm not going to kill myself or something. Just - every Sox fan, I assume, hopes at the beginning of the season that his team will win the world series. Just because we won it this year won't change me hoping at the beginning of next year,

woodenleg
11-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Not me.

I thought that the good thing about it was that now we can get on with the business of being a legitimate team.

This is a silly question - we're not living in bible stories or Greek myths.
Is this that "would you give your right arm for a championship" thing again?

No, I would not give my right arm. And I would not give up this and that. I would slay the person who demanded my right arm! And then get on with the business I was meant to do. I'm not living in some literary or hypothetical reality.

doublem23
11-04-2005, 03:10 AM
All I ever said was I want 1 and they gave that to me, so I am happy. However, my passion for the Sox won't extinguish, so of course, I'd like another. Hey, it's been a week and a half! So much suffering!

:)

Complacency would be not caring about the Sox anymore. I don't think winning a World Series is going to make the wins any less sweet and the losses any less tough.

SaltyPretzel
11-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Oh shut up. That's so over the top it's pure trolling. :dtroll:

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I've seen the Minnesota Twins and Florida Marlins win it twice in my lifetime. If these teams can do that, I'd have to say that I'd be really disappointed if this is it for the rest of my life.

Iím extremely proud of what this team did this year. Savor it, but letís not rest on the laurels of one season.

MadetoOrta
11-04-2005, 08:12 AM
What's this Furcal BS you mentioned?

Right out of the "You write tomorrow's Cubune Headline" thread, the Cubune had a headline FURCAL INTERESTED IN CUBS! Any agent with half a brain is going to say "my client is intrigued by the Cubs." It guarantees a ridiculous headline that puts pressure on the home team - Atlanta - to up the ante. By the end of the year, all free agents have "always dreamed of playing for the Cubs." Same old bias. Doesn't bother me anymore.

oeo
11-04-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm happy with just this one right now, but if they want to get more, I'm all for it! :D:

WSoxFanForever
11-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I loved the Sox when they were terrible, and I love them this year. They gave me so many memories. I hope they win again in my lifetime, but they gave me enough memories to last forever. I'm at peace. I do hope they stay competitive and see no reason why they won't.

soxwon
11-04-2005, 08:32 AM
yes id be happy, but we will win another one in 06.

then selig will disband the sox.

soxinthecity
11-04-2005, 08:35 AM
I just want to see what we all saw this year during the season.

Good baseball from a great Team, as long as there fighting and scratching, get to the playoffs and see what happens.

For most of us I don't see it as a once in a lifetime moment, I see another World Series in less than five years.

I saw this one coming from day one and there style of play only backed up what i knew would happen.

Getting to the top is a rough road, but once your there and you figure what was needed in doing so, the next time around does'nt seem so hard it comes a little more naturally.

Steelrod
11-04-2005, 08:51 AM

Lip

One per lifetime seems to be Chicago's fate. I'm all up for many more, but at least I got my one. (which I was beginning to doubt!) This puts me in pretty elite company, to the exclusion of 70% of the baseball fans in this city.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't be "happy" to watch losing teams the remainder of my life. However I am content to have witnessed this one. In fact I know none of the subsequent Sox championships could ever match this one. That's why I'm content.

It's Time
11-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Having seen the Bulls win 6 titles in the 90's and now having sat through an 8 year drought, I'm ready for another. Look at the apathy regarding Bulls basketball up until last year. They got back to the playoffs again last year and I'm ready for another run.

The Red Sox were still on their honeymoon all of last year but now that they have been dethroned, I'd imagine that the fans will be hungry next year.

What stinks is not being the champ after being the champ. Of course, no team will win it every year but a sustained run of dominance sure sounds sweet and it gives fans a dynasty tag to puff their chests out even further.:)

voodoochile
11-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Not me.

I thought that the good thing about it was that now we can get on with the business of being a legitimate team.

This is a silly question - we're not living in bible stories or Greek myths.
Is this that "would you give your right arm for a championship" thing again?

No, I would not give my right arm. And I would not give up this and that. I would slay the person who demanded my right arm! And then get on with the business I was meant to do. I'm not living in some literary or hypothetical reality.

What about your pinky toe? :tongue:

voodoochile
11-04-2005, 09:46 AM
I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I've seen the Minnesota Twins and Florida Marlins win it twice in my lifetime. If these teams can do that, I'd have to say that I'd be really disappointed if this is it for the rest of my life.

Iím extremely proud of what this team did this year. Savor it, but letís not rest on the laurels of one season.

I sincerely doubt fans resting on their laurels will have much effect on the outcome of games. I mean it's not going to turn into Wrigley at the Cell where people go to be seen and simply talk on their Cell phones during the game while chatting up the women in the row behind them.

Now if you meant will the team rest on its laurels, I doubt that will happen. For the most part the Sox have (within their given budget constraints) tried to field a winner every year. They had the wrong formula for a while, but seem to have rectified that problem. I sincerely doubt KW is sitting in his office basking in glory with his feet on the desk fantasizing about life after baseball. This is what these people do and they obviously love it immensely - you simply don't reach the pinnacle of any sport without huge desire and effort - something that doesn't go away simply becuase you win a championship.

The Sox will be back at it fighting hard next season and all of the seasons after that until they disband MLB.

Will I be "happy" if they never win another championship? No, but I also expect to live 40-50 more years minimum. Am I less frantic now that I've seen one? Definitely. I am at peace with my sports fandom. I got one in every sport that really matters to me. The rest is gravy... or is it icing? :)

It's Time
11-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I sincerely doubt fans resting on their laurels will have much effect on the outcome of games. I mean it's not going to turn into Wrigley at the Cell where people go to be seen and simply talk on their Cell phones during the game while chatting up the women in the row behind them.

Now if you meant will the team rest on its laurels, I doubt that will happen. For the most part the Sox have (within their given budget constraints) tried to field a winner every year. They had the wrong formula for a while, but seem to have rectified that problem. I sincerely doubt KW is sitting in his office basking in glory with his feet on the desk fantasizing about life after baseball. This is what these people do and they obviously love it immensely - you simply don't reach the pinnacle of any sport without huge desire and effort - something that doesn't go away simply becuase you win a championship.

The Sox will be back at it fighting hard next season and all of the seasons after that until they disband MLB.

Will I be "happy" if they never win another championship? No, but I also expect to live 40-50 more years minimum. Am I less frantic now that I've seen one? Definitely. I am at peace with my sports fandom. I got one in every sport that really matters to me. The rest is gravy... or is it icing? :)

Being that I live in Chicago, I do NOT want to EVER be in a position of falling behind the north siders. It's the one thing that stinks about having 2 teams in 1 town. I appreciate and understand everyone who says they are content and it doesn't matter that much anymore.

That said, should the White Sox ever fall behind them, I would bet many of you will get the passion back.

However, that is nothing to even being concerned at right now. April is still 5 months away:bandance:

Lip Man 1
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
This has been touched on in the thread but I thought it should be made clearer. The Sox 'goal' for 2006 should be doing something that they have never done in the 105 year history of the franchise, making the post season in consecutive years.

If you want to start 'taking back' (for want of a better word.) the city of Chicago, a good way to start is by consistently making the playoffs. (I don't mean every season, that's impossible, but how about a run where you make it say six times in the next ten years...)

Just something to consider.

Lip

dividedsk717
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
As of today, I'd be happy with this championship only. If you ask me in 20 years, well, that's probably a different story.

The peace that this championship has brought is amazing ... it's like I don't even care about negative sports news or outcomes anymore. I've experienced the best possible moment, and savored every bit of it. I hope this buzz never wears off!

DenverSock
11-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Can't you just enjoy the winter? This is one ****ing season since 1917 that Sox fans have nothing to bitch about.

Why? Bitching can be fun. As for me I sure expect them to be a contender at least.:D:

Baby Fisk
11-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Last night I cracked open the box from MLB.com, pulled on that World Series Champions T-shirt, sat down and quietly relived the greatest baseball season of my life. Nothing can ever take this away from any of us. Thank you White Sox. I am content. :)

I mean, jeez I'm even being nice to fenway these days... :cool:

DenverSock
11-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I mean, jeez I'm even being nice to fenway these days... :cool:

Why?

Baby Fisk
11-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Why?
It's better to follow this person's path:
http://www.arie.org/japan/images/big-buddha.jpg

...and not this person's...

http://www.yoursdaily.com/var/yoursdaily/storage/images/media/images/cinema/star_wars/anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen/13877-1-eng-GB/anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen.jpg

Jerko
11-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I will love this team and season for the rest of my life. That said, however, I'm a greedy bastard and would like to do this again.

DenverSock
11-04-2005, 01:00 PM
:D::D::D::D::D:
It's better to follow this person's path:
http://www.arie.org/japan/images/big-buddha.jpg

...and not this person's...

http://www.yoursdaily.com/var/yoursdaily/storage/images/media/images/cinema/star_wars/anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen/13877-1-eng-GB/anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen.jpg

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 01:04 PM
NO. I want more. I do not want Uncle Jerry to look at this as his excuse to continue the dumping of the highest salaried players (hmmmm can you now say Freddy Garcia?). I want the SOX to continue to get the best players and to want to win year in and year out. As I predicted, 2005 was the last season of Paul Konerko, and when we enter 2006, Mark Buehrle will be the highest paid. Guess who will be playing his final season next year as a SOX? No, Im happy as a clam that we won, but will not be satisfied with that. I want the goal to be winning a Championship year in and year out. Not looking for creative ways to unload salary. There is no excuse. 2 Million people came to the games. Season Ticket Sales are at an all time franchise HIGH. There is money now. Spend it wisely

24thStFan
11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
I want the Sox to re-sign Paulie and make every other effort to go deep into the playoffs in 2006. We have a team that could possibly repeat, so I say let's get it done.

I will be happy with a good effort next year, but...I'll never forget my first time!:D:

MeteorsSox4367
11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
In a perfect world, the Sox win the World Series every year, the Hawks win the Stanley Cup every year (when there's hockey) and the Cubs go 0-162. I'm just happy that I got to see the Sox win it once and that I was able to share it with my Dad and other people who mean something to me and are Sox fans.

tacosalbarojas
11-04-2005, 01:36 PM
This has been touched on in the thread but I thought it should be made clearer. The Sox 'goal' for 2006 should be doing something that they have never done in the 105 year history of the franchise, making the post season in consecutive years.

If you want to start 'taking back' (for want of a better word.) the city of Chicago, a good way to start is by consistently making the playoffs. (I don't mean every season, that's impossible, but how about a run where you make it say six times in the next ten years...)

LipMy sentiments exactly, lip. We broke a lot of new ground this October. Let's break one more next season by working in October in consecutive seasons. We need this!

TomBradley72
11-04-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm content.

Looking for the WSox to consistently make the post season...maybe 3 of 5 years as either the Division winner or Wild Card....every once in a while pop into the ALCS and/or the WS...when the stars align (like this year) it would be great to have another championship...but I won't be grinding my teeth over it.

So much has been accomplished during the KW/Ozzie/Brooks era (ie. we now have a GREAT ballpark, we have greatly expanded our season ticket/fan base, we've found the right way to connect the present to the past (w/out wallowing in it like the Cubs/Red Sox), we now have an "identity" thanks to Ozzie, we have a solid base of talent at the major league level..with some pretty good talent coming through the minors, we're past the "hate Jerry R. phase", the neighborhood is coming along).

Even without a World Series..this is the best shape the franchise has been....since early in the 20th century. I am very content.

Fuller_Schettman
11-04-2005, 01:53 PM
No title will ever be sweeter than the one we just won. But...

I was thinking, if the New York Yankees can win 26 championships in one century in their Holy Pinstripes, then whats to say we cannot win 26 championships with our pinstripes in this century.

I'm not asking for too much am I?

soxfan26
11-04-2005, 01:54 PM
NO. I want more. I do not want Uncle Jerry to look at this as his excuse to continue the dumping of the highest salaried players (hmmmm can you now say Freddy Garcia?).

As I predicted, 2005 was the last season of Paul Konerko

There really is no response to a post as moronic as this one other than WOW.

Caduceus
11-04-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm content. I'm not a Sox fan for their world series wins. If they win another one in years to come great, if they don't then I will always have the memory of this season.

Either way I will still watch, listen, and read about every game.

IronFisk
11-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Even now, sitting here, I get MAJOR chills thinking of what just happened. Unlike the Bulls, which we expected to win titles with MJ on board, this is far different, since baseball in general is reaching a high degree of parody. Add to that our drought, and I think I'll be happy for quite some time.

The memories are so thick that I am still brushing them from my face - and will be doing so for many moons to come! :smile:

Fenway
11-04-2005, 02:09 PM
One year removed from my Sox winning I can't say I never want to see them win it again, but at least I DID see them win.

When the White Sox knocked us out 4 weeks ago, I was a little upset but didn't go into a deep depression. There was none of the "will I ever see them win" hysteria.

SoxSpeed22
11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm sure the older members of this forum can appreciate this one. I'm also real happy to see it. But as much as we want it to, one year won't undo the other 87 and I'm sure we all understand that. Another fact is that it's been a week since winning it all and seeing it downplayed all over, especially where I'm at now with a lot of Cub fans, I can't let myself forget this. I also want to see more consistency from this franchise. (At least there's no Nardi to ruin it via injured pitchers.) The Braves dynasty is all but finished with Mazzone leaving. Unfortunately, I do not fully understand Braves fans' view, but it would be frustrating to see us exit before the World Series for the next 10 years. For a while we would be okay with it, then it would get annoying.
What I'm saying is that, I would like a dynasty that wins the title more than once every 15 years and would not get upstaged by other franchises. In the Braves case, the Marlins and Diamondbacks.

DenverSock
11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
No title will ever be sweeter than the one we just won. But...

I was thinking, if the New York Yankees can win 26 championships in one century in their Holy Pinstripes, then whats to say we cannot win 26 championships with our pinstripes in this century.

I'm not asking for too much am I?

Well yes and no. What made the Yankees run possible was the HUGE New York market to play in, being in the media capitol of the world, etc. .... We play in the nations third largest city, are still second fiddle to the flubbies, etc. Before 1919 Charles Comiskey was viewed as George Steinbrenner is today, a guy who would spend anything to win, etc. (Not that he always kept his word!) The scandal ruined that. But back then the situation was different. What would help us is continuing to be in contention, competing for market share with the flubs, wooing a national fan base which would include getting more favorable national media attention, etc. Then it would be possible.

P.S. Where did you get your signature? Is it mistranslated from some asian laguage and what does it mean?

zach23
11-04-2005, 02:13 PM
NO. I want more. I do not want Uncle Jerry to look at this as his excuse to continue the dumping of the highest salaried players (hmmmm can you now say Freddy Garcia?). I want the SOX to continue to get the best players and to want to win year in and year out. As I predicted, 2005 was the last season of Paul Konerko, and when we enter 2006, Mark Buehrle will be the highest paid. Guess who will be playing his final season next year as a SOX? No, Im happy as a clam that we won, but will not be satisfied with that. I want the goal to be winning a Championship year in and year out. Not looking for creative ways to unload salary. There is no excuse. 2 Million people came to the games. Season Ticket Sales are at an all time franchise HIGH. There is money now. Spend it wisely

Hangar, it is people like you that perpetuate the stereotype that Sox fans are always bitter and never happy. The confetti from the World Series parade isn't even cleaned off the streets yet and you are already crying about what may or may not happen next year and even going so far as to gripe about what may or may not happen in two years. Did you really even enjoy the World Series at all? Or deep down did you sit there and worry about next year and beyond the whole time?
Unreal.

PaulDrake
11-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not an overly optimistic person by nature and I'm certainly not psychic. That being said I expect the White Sox to be in the hunt for a long time to come. I don't think KW wants to rest on his laurels. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're in for a period of sustained prosperity. If I'm wrong, I'll be upset. If I'm right I still don't think I could live long enough to enjoy a Championship as much as I'm enjoying this one. What a combination of joy and relief for this "old" Sox fan.

Fuller_Schettman
11-04-2005, 02:53 PM
There really is no response to a post as moronic as this one other than WOW.

Yeah, it got stale after the first 8,110 times...

Fuller_Schettman
11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
P.S. Where did you get your signature? Is it mistranslated from some asian laguage and what does it mean?

Here is some background on AYBABTU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

SoxSpeed22
11-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Here is some background on AYBABTU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_usLol. I'm watching that video now as I type.

skobabe8
11-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I think the answer to the original question depends on how long each one of us have been around to suffer. I'm 25, so obviously I want to see another championship before I die. If I were an old geezer born in 1920, I'd be happy with just 1. :D:

bobowhite
11-04-2005, 03:10 PM
If they play well and Ozzie manages well and they are in the running and maybe even make the playoffs, then I'll be happy.

On the other hand, pull a few bone-headed mistakes and even if they make the playoffs but bow out early, I'd be upset.

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Hangar, it is people like you that perpetuate the stereotype that Sox fans are always bitter and never happy. The confetti from the World Series parade isn't even cleaned off the streets yet and you are already crying about what may or may not happen next year and even going so far as to gripe about what may or may not happen in two years. Did you really even enjoy the World Series at all? Or deep down did you sit there and worry about next year and beyond the whole time?
Unreal.

Did I worry? heck now, i was on Cloud 9. My cellphones been working overtime, getting calls from all corners of the planet, people saying wow
your team finally won it all.
I cant begin to describe how Ive felt the last few days. Watching the parade again on TV ........brings chills. Watching those last few games with other SOX fans was about the most fun ive ever had in my life. I guess I can always look back at this one, and say wow, what a ride this was. I got my car smashed up and totalled ...... and as down as I shouldve been about all of that ...... I wasnt. Because my favorite team in my favorite sport won the World Series. No matter what they cannot take that away. The Cubune cannot rain on our parade, we still won. FOX cant complain about it being the lowest watched. We still won. I want more though. I love this feeling. Imagine if we win it all again next year? The momentum (that word again) we will have built up from now til next October, will have this City in sheer pandemonium. And if we dont win another one for another 88 years ... am I right to complain? maybe not?

MarySwiss
11-04-2005, 04:00 PM
After the D'Backs won in 2001, I was kind of like "oh, well" when we didn't win again. However, considering how much bigger of a deal this was, I'm pretty sure I'll feel differently.

Plus, it would be really great to be this happy all the time! Walking around alll over the place with a great big grin on my face, I know I am annoying the hell out of people, but

I. DON'T. CARE!!! :D:

eastchicagosoxfan
11-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I'll be happy for a long, long, time. It's been 20 years for the Bears, and the achievment has not diminished in my eyes. There are thirty teams in MLB, and only one can win it all. The Sox are a quality organization, and have fielded a good team for several years now. I expect this to continue, and that puts them miles ahead of several organizations. Every dog has his day, and I'm going to enjoy mine as long as I can. White Sox=World Series Champions.

TornLabrum
11-04-2005, 08:10 PM
For those of you who will be content for awhile, just remember this: 88 years isn't as short a time as it might seem to be.

MarySwiss
11-04-2005, 08:28 PM
I'll be happy for a long, long, time. It's been 20 years for the Bears, and the achievment has not diminished in my eyes. There are thirty teams in MLB, and only one can win it all. The Sox are a quality organization, and have fielded a good team for several years now. I expect this to continue, and that puts them miles ahead of several organizations. Every dog has his day, and I'm going to enjoy mine as long as I can. White Sox=World Series Champions.

Good point! I still take great pleasure in making my (mostly Steelers fans) friends watch the Super Bowl Shuffle video. Of course, that is largely in retaliation for them making me listen to some Steelers' polka!

Iron Dragon
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I said before that all I wanted for the Sox, given their lack of post-season success, was to win just 1 World Series before I died. I'm only 28. And now, they/we have one. If this is the only one, then so be it. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. If they do go in the tank, will I be upset/annoyed/disappointed? Damn right I will be. But when I go to the grave, I can still say that I saw my White Sox win a World Series, something that anyone who was born and died between 1918 and 2004 cannot.

voodoochile
11-05-2005, 12:01 AM
For those of you who will be content for awhile, just remember this: 88 years isn't as short a time as it might seem to be.

Yes, but how many of us will be alive then?

woodenleg
11-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Did I worry? heck now, i was on Cloud 9. My cellphones been working overtime, getting calls from all corners of the planet, people saying wow
your team finally won it all.
I cant begin to describe how Ive felt the last few days. Watching the parade again on TV ........brings chills. Watching those last few games with other SOX fans was about the most fun ive ever had in my life. I guess I can always look back at this one, and say wow, what a ride this was. I got my car smashed up and totalled ...... and as down as I shouldve been about all of that ...... I wasnt. Because my favorite team in my favorite sport won the World Series. No matter what they cannot take that away. The Cubune cannot rain on our parade, we still won. FOX cant complain about it being the lowest watched. We still won. I want more though. I love this feeling. Imagine if we win it all again next year? The momentum (that word again) we will have built up from now til next October, will have this City in sheer pandemonium. And if we dont win another one for another 88 years ... am I right to complain? maybe not?

From the tone of this thread, you'd think someone was offering us
a deal - "you got your championship, now shut up."

Sorry - the World Series was necessary to bury the past.
Like I said, I would prefer a more 'normal' situation in
the future.

Anyone who thinks otherwise really isn't a Sox fan.

Sorry, no 'deal'. We want to be a legitimate ballclub and
a legitimate business. Not a ****ing doormat.

Y'know, legitimate - like we were in the fifties.

pudge
11-05-2005, 04:33 AM
Yes, but how many of us will be alive then?

Damn it, you beat me to it. :smile:

nccwsfan
11-05-2005, 05:25 AM
I'll always want to try and win another one, but the emotions and memories from this season will stay with me forever. There will always be ups and downs, but they'll win it again.....and a lot sooner than 88 years from now.

Watching the final 3 outs of the World Series with my son is enough to keep me happy for a loooong time.

TornLabrum
11-05-2005, 08:15 AM
I'll always want to try and win another one, but the emotions and memories from this season will stay with me forever. There will always be ups and downs, but they'll win it again.....and a lot sooner than 88 years from now.

Watching the final 3 outs of the World Series with my son is enough to keep me happy for a loooong time.

Watching those final three outs of the World Series was enough to keep me happy until April 2.

For those who are now content, I have this question: Exactly how happy were you to see us go year after decade without winning a damn thing. Think those Sox fans yet unborn will be any happier than you were? Can you really be happy if the Sox go thirteen years longer than my father's entire lifespan without winning anything?

So you're content because you've seen one stinking World Series Championship in 88 years. Well, the Yankees have had 26(?) of them in the same amount of time and their fans get POed if they fail once!

No wonder they call Chicago the Second City. Everything here is second rate because expectations are so ****ing low.

woodenleg
11-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Watching those final three outs of the World Series was enough to keep me happy until April 2.

For those who are now content, I have this question: Exactly how happy were you to see us go year after decade without winning a damn thing. Think those Sox fans yet unborn will be any happier than you were? Can you really be happy if the Sox go thirteen years longer than my father's entire lifespan without winning anything?

So you're content because you've seen one stinking World Series Championship in 88 years. Well, the Yankees have had 26(?) of them in the same amount of time and their fans get POed if they fail once!

I love your attitude. Preach on!

I mean I was happy and all...but you know, I was hoping it would only be the beginning. I'm not going to spend every day getting all weepy and sentimental about Game 4. You'd think it was the second coming or something. Since when have Sox fans been so sentimental?

As Gary Barnett once said, "Expect victory!" Forward march!!

downstairs
11-05-2005, 09:37 AM
There will never be anything like the first one. Having never been a fan of any other baseball team, and knowing that fans of the Sox for 88 years had never seen it... it meant something well beyond anything that will ever happen again.

But, short of stopping watching baseball at all... the next ones mean something different as well.

A repeat... or 3 titles in 5 years... or, heck... 6 titles in 8 years... those sorts of accomplishments mean legacy and dynasty. As a fan, I'd like to experience that with baseball like we did with basketball.

I'd like to see the White Sox in this decade be known along with the '30s and '50s and '90s Yankees, '70s A's, and the like...

I'd like to say I was there for something more than a one-off exciting year.

It's Dynasty Time!

PaleHoseGeorge
11-05-2005, 09:45 AM
It's Dynasty Time!

I never even dared think about the possibility... until now.

A White Sox championship dynasty? Sign me up.

:cool:

Realist
11-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm wandering around the "Parking Lot" and "What's the Score?" dying of thirst and I find out you guys are hogging all the Kool-aid in here on this thread. I'd like a double with a splash of Dynasty, please.

:gulp:

Man, that sounds yummy! Sign me up too.

[with this starting pitching... stranger things have happened]

downstairs
11-05-2005, 10:09 AM
I never even dared think about the possibility... until now.

A White Sox championship dynasty? Sign me up.

:cool:

Even taking it one year at a time... I see no reason we're not the favorites to win it all next year.

All of our pitchers are back. And in 2005, our hitting was generally sub-par (close to par, but rarely above-par) on a player-by-player level.

palehozenychicty
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I want us to become a winning organization. reinsdorf/kw/guillen know that they are close to taking the city of chicago back. if we can somehow keep konerko and/or get a FA bat/healthy Thomas, we're good enough to win the next two-three years. All this team needs is a little offense and a lefty in relief to spell cotts. The media is in love with the Indians, but they're losing their best starter and closer, who wasn't that good to begin with. Yanks and Red Sox have no baseball direction and are aging, and the Angels offense is worse than ours. They don't have the same quality starting rotation, either. Sure, we got one. But great organizations get many. The sox can become the baseball version of the patriots, spurs, and pistons, if they meticulously choose players. Can't wait for April.

LongLiveFisk
11-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Others have already stated basically the same thing, but I will say that while I am satisfied that they have won it in my lifetime (which is all I've ever asked, to be truthful), I would still like to see them win more. If they don't, at least I'll have no major regrets about it. They have given me what I've wanted all my life and was wondering if I'd ever see at all.

Red Barchetta
11-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Of course I want another one, however the 2005 White Sox were so similar in my mind to the 1985 Bears in terms of mutliple and diverse personalities and heroes, that this team will always represent the true meaning of "team" and "grinders" and I don't think any future team will replace them as my favorite. I hope they do because that would be one hell of a team! :smile:

voodoochile
11-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Others have already stated basically the same thing, but I will say that while I am satisfied that they have won it in my lifetime (which is all I've ever asked, to be truthful), I would still like to see them win more. If they don't, at least I'll have no major regrets about it. They have given me what I've wanted all my life and was wondering if I'd ever see at all.

Exactly. I'm not satisfied, I am merely less edgy. I got one. Now I want more, but at the moment it seems less pressing - that's all.

Sure I want more. All of us do here at WSI. It's sort of like ranting about attendance - preaching to the choir. Is anyone here going to stop posting because the Sox won? Stop watching games? Stop going to games? No. You don't quit being a fan because you won a championship. If anything it makes you a bigger fan. It cements the bond you feel with the team because you were a part of something that can never be taken away. More permanent than the Sear's tower. More lasting than our lives. It not only lifts us and inspires us it connects generations and brings family and friends closer together. That's why we are happy and for the moment "full".

Next year the table will have to be set again and the meal served up again and all of us will be living and dying with every pitch. The Dark Clouds will be ranting. Hangar will be moaning about newspaper coverage. The Sunny Sky folks will be merrily gliding along hoping for the best and seeing the positive and barring a fluke string of injuries and/or a complete collapse, the Sox should be right back in the thick of things and all of us will be right there with them.

I actually preferred championship #2 with the Bulls the best, because that was one dominant season. I'm not going anywhere and I am hoping for a whole lot more, but like I said, I'm complete now. It doesn't mean I don't want to win, merely that I don't have that hole in my fandom I had before 2005.

WestSox
11-05-2005, 12:07 PM

No wonder they call Chicago the Second City. Everything here is second rate because expectations are so ****ing low.

Agreed, although the expectations of Yankee fans (especially Steinbrenner) are ridiculous. That pressure-cooker environment is often counter-productive... and several good players (Knoblauch, Contreras, Weaver, Giambi) have either had poor seasons or failed outright in NY because of it.

Sox fans should be demanding (I'm going to be pissed if they don't win a couple more WS in my lifetime), but shouldn't create a hostile NY-type environment.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Hal:

As I saw the question for the thread it was along the lines of 'are you happy now...' To be honest, what you or I think doesn't matter, it's what ownership thinks that does. If they are content with one, then at least I was around when the Sox did it.

I'm content. They can't take the trophy away.

Would I like to see more? Of course.....but again back to my point at least I was around for one. That's more then a lot of Sox fans and I'm grateful and content for it.

The question really needs to be sent along to ownership to see what they think.

Lip

Hitmen77
11-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I have been thinking about this question and here are my thoughts:

I don't think there is a clean yes/no answer to this question. Of course, I will be disappointed every season that the Sox don't win it all - even next year. But, as far as being "happy" overall with the team, I think this World Series win gives them a "glow" for the next several years where, even if they don't win the WS again, I'm still happy with the '05 victory. That will then begin to fade over time.

Look at Bears fans for example, the '85 team is still a fond memory that fans are all grateful to have experienced. But now, 20 years later, you can't tell me that Bears fans are saying that they have nothing to complain about regarding their team fortunes over the past decade "because they won the Super Bowl in '85".

I'm in my 30s - so I hope to be around for another 5 decades or so. There's no way that I'll say, when I'm 75, that I'm happy with the Sox if they don't win another WS or pennant over the next 40 years.

Also, someone mentioned here that, since there are 30 teams in the league, we should on average expect the Sox to win only 1 WS every 30 years. Actually, I expect more than that for a team playing in a city as large and great as Chicago. We're not Kansas City or Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh.

caulfield12
11-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm in my 30s - so I hope to be around for another 5 decades or so. There's no way that I'll say, when I'm 75, that I'm happy with the Sox if they don't win another WS or pennant over the next 40 years.

Also, someone mentioned here that, since there are 30 teams in the league, we should on average expect the Sox to win only 1 WS every 30 years. Actually, I expect more than that for a team playing in a city as large and great as Chicago. We're not Kansas City or Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh.

I just turned 36 this week. I pretty much have the same take on the situation as you. In fact, I think the White Sox have a better chance of winning the World Series again before my favorite football team and alma mater, the Iowa Hawkeyes, win the National Championship in my lifetime. That is the only thing I have left on my list of sports must haves, lol.

As long as they put together a solid offensive line-up the next two seasons, they should be competitive with the pitching they have. Their pitching is in much better shape than coming into the 2001 season after that playoff...and there are not very many position players coming off career seasons like that campaign.

With OG at the helm, they have a very good chance of making the playoffs every season. Minnesota might not even exist after 2006, the Royals are a AAA team and the Indians are the only competitive team in the division unless Leyland works one final miracle. With all the money being spent in the East and West and the relative competitive balance in those divisions, Cleveland and Chicago could both compete for the WC and Division the next three years, with them beating the heck out of their other three division opponents.

As long as they spend at least $80 million next season, I will be happy. That will put a competitive and representative WS-defending team out on the field for the Sox.

They also look to have a lot of depth in AA and AAA position prospects, particularly the outfield, to go with some really good young pitching in A ball.

We lost Parque, Baldwin, Wells (David), Rauch, Myette, Biddle, Danny Wright (later), Simas, Wunsch, Howry, Stumm, Eldred, Sirotka and a ton of other pitchers to injuries between the 2000 and 2001 seasons. Ginter never came into form, either, or Kip Wells. Josh Fogg and Matt Guerrier were also discarded. That was a freakish thing, and I do not for a similar calamity with this particular staff.

TornLabrum
11-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Agreed, although the expectations of Yankee fans (especially Steinbrenner) are ridiculous. That pressure-cooker environment is often counter-productive... and several good players (Knoblauch, Contreras, Weaver, Giambi) have either had poor seasons or failed outright in NY because of it.

Sox fans should be demanding (I'm going to be pissed if they don't win a couple more WS in my lifetime), but shouldn't create a hostile NY-type environment.

Agreed. The point is why the hell should we be satisfied with ONE?

TornLabrum
11-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I just turned 36 this week. I pretty much have the same take on the situation as you. In fact, I think the White Sox have a better chance of winning the World Series again before my favorite football team and alma mater, the Iowa Hawkeyes, win the National Championship in my lifetime. That is the only thing I have left on my list of sports must haves, lol.

As long as they put together a solid offensive line-up the next two seasons, they should be competitive with the pitching they have. Their pitching is in much better shape than coming into the 2001 season after that playoff...and there are not very many position players coming off career seasons like that campaign.

With OG at the helm, they have a very good chance of making the playoffs every season. Minnesota might not even exist after 2006, the Royals are a AAA team and the Indians are the only competitive team in the division unless Leyland works one final miracle. With all the money being spent in the East and West and the relative competitive balance in those divisions, Cleveland and Chicago could both compete for the WC and Division the next three years, with them beating the heck out of their other three division opponents.

As long as they spend at least $80 million next season, I will be happy. That will put a competitive and representative WS-defending team out on the field for the Sox.

They also look to have a lot of depth in AA and AAA position prospects, particularly the outfield, to go with some really good young pitching in A ball.

We lost Parque, Baldwin, Wells (David), Rauch, Myette, Biddle, Danny Wright (later), Simas, Wunsch, Howry, Stumm, Eldred, Sirotka and a ton of other pitchers to injuries between the 2000 and 2001 seasons. Ginter never came into form, either, or Kip Wells. Josh Fogg and Matt Guerrier were also discarded. That was a freakish thing, and I do not for a similar calamity with this particular staff.

Don't bet on anything as a Sox fan, especially when you're betting on something bad not happening. I was 9 when we went to our last World Series. We had great pitching and a strong farm system.

I was 36 the year "Hawk wants you," just two years after Tito Landrum. A lot can happen to a team.

caulfield12
11-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Don't bet on anything as a Sox fan, especially when you're betting on something bad not happening. I was 9 when we won our last World Series. We had great pitching and a strong farm system.

I was 36 the year "Hawk wants you," just two years after Tito Landrum. A lot can happen to a team.

I hope you mean the last time we were in the World Series...unless you are 97 years old now. That would be impressive computer wizardry for an almost centenarian, lol.

TornLabrum
11-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I hope you mean the last time we were in the World Series...unless you are 97 years old now. That would be impressive computer wizardry for an almost centenarian, lol.

Yeah, should have said, "went to." I made the change.

rainbow6
11-05-2005, 03:38 PM
I think it's unrealistic to expect another championship anytime soon - it's just not that common to repeat - so I guess I am content...my hope is that future trips to the playoffs become commonplace rather than once or twice a decade occurances...

Before the the first ALDS game I was petrified - where should I watch the game?...a bar or at home?...would either bring more luck?...what should I wear?...a jersery?...would that be a jinx?...should I eat before, during or after the game?...should I put Rooney and Farmer on?....don't I want to hear the national announcers?...isn't that part of the charm of post-season baseball?

By game twelve of the playoffs I had figured it all out and I started to feel like a frickin' Yankees fan...

I'd like that feeling to continue...

Luke

flo-B-flo
11-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Lip Yes all fine sentiments. This is why I admire Atlanta. I'm EXTREMELY content with this one but, I'd like the Sox to make a long playoff run AND win a couple more rings. BE there year after year.:smile:

FanofBill
11-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I think the only thing that will be better than this world series win is if next year the Sox beat the Cubs in next year world series.
I think next year is the 100 years anniversary of that. The Sox beat the Cubs in the 1906 world series. I read that somewhere.

DenverSock
11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
I think the only thing that will be better than this world series win is if next year the Sox beat the Cubs in next year world series.
I think next year is the 100 years anniversary of that. The Sox beat the Cubs in the 1906 world series. I read that somewhere.

The only problem with that is it presupposes a winning Cub Team. I'd have ambivalent feelings about that at best.
:o:

Baby Fisk
11-07-2005, 03:53 PM
The only problem with that is it presupposes a winning Cub Team. I'd have ambivalent feelings about that at best.
:o:
I used to think such a match-up would be great because the Sox could repeat history and destroy the Cubs in the greatest forum of them all. But in hindsight the hysteria and negativity would be tenfold that which we witness during interleague play every year. Let the Cubs rot in mediocrity forever.