PDA

View Full Version : Has your opinion of JR changed?

miker
11-03-2005, 07:32 PM
This has been touched on in recent threads, but I'm in the mood for a poll, so here goes.

The triumphs and tragedies of the Jerry Reinsdorf era are familiar to every White Sox fan alive the past 25 years and anyone needing a refresher can scan this website for some of the great and not-so-great moments.

Has this World Series victory changed your feelings toward the Chairman? If so, how?

And unlike a Chicago election, only one vote. Thank you and go White Sox!

(Dear mods, could you fix the first word in the poll to "With"...and give me an error if you're scoring at home? Thanks!)

The Critic
11-03-2005, 07:35 PM
He is the face of the ownership group that brought a World Series Championship to the White Sox fans, so I think he's the greatest face of an ownership group of ALL TIME!!!!!

Ken Williams is my favorite GM of all time, and Ozzie Guillen is the finest managerial mind I can recall.
Each and every player on the roster ( and the DL ) is the best at what he does, and I'm only half-kidding about any of this.

I have NO criticism for anyone in the organization at this point.
I reserve the right to criticize beginning on April 3, 2006. :D:

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
I haven't been nearly as much of a critic of JR as the general managers and team managers. Kenny Williams and Ozzie both knew what they needed and went balls-up in getting exactly that in EVERY facet of the game they were lacking! Schuey with Manuel and Bevington were never able to do that. I give JR the credit for hiring such a great general manager, as well as expanding his pockets a bit more.

RallyBowl
11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Definitely. He is now The Man and is absolved of all wrongdoing prior to October 26th 2005.

IlliniSox4Life
11-03-2005, 08:27 PM
I think prior to this season, he kind of got the same media treatment as Frank. A guy who isn't all that bad that's been misrepresented in the media.

I never really liked the guy before this season, but didn't really dislike him either. However, after seeing how Ozzie and Kenny talked about him and how they wanted to win this one for Jerry, I think that is what really changed my mind. I don't care so much about the fact that he brought us a championship (all though it does help), but that the guys on this team like him. Ozzie, Kenny, Paulie and the rest are a much better judge of character from my viewpoint than the Cubune and co. Paulie doesn't need to sell papers.

Also, the reaction Jerry had when presented with the trophy, and then again when Paulie gave him the final out ball, that sealed the deal on being fond of Jerry.

kevin57
11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
I never really had a problem with JR. I certainly was not happy with his role in the '94 strike and how it dashed a budding pennant drive, but I think that whole mess was as much the Union's fault as the Owners'. Anyway, I don't see an option in this poll that reflects my sentiments.

Palehose13
11-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I never really had a problem with JR. I certainly was not happy with his role in the '94 strike and how it dashed a budding pennant drive, but I think that whole mess was as much the Union's fault as the Owners'. Anyway, I don't see an option in this poll that reflects my sentiments.

I'm with you.

My opinion hasn't changed, but I wasn't a "JR hater" to begin with.

1951Campbell
11-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Now, all is forgiven.

If he cheaps out, game on.

richb2
11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
I have to be honest I am too happy to care right now but a good hunk of sox fans did not really care for Jerry before this season-for everyone to say they now like him and had no problems in the past is a little questionable at the least lol. I just hope he does the right thing from this point forward and I like I said before too happy right now

Hitmen77
11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
This wipes the slate clean of past reasons to be angry with him.

He's on a roll. In addition to the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, he hired an excellent marketing guy (Brooks Boyer) and worked out a deal that accomplished great renovations to the ballpark.

MRKARNO
11-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I would chose something along the lines of "I didn't have a problem with him before and I don't have a problem with him now." All of the poll choices indicate some sort of prior dislike for JR and that's not the case for everyone

FarWestChicago
11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I would chose something along the lines of "I didn't have a problem with him before and I don't have a problem with him now." All of the poll choices indicate some sort of prior dislike for JR and that's not the case for everyoneYou are correct, sir. The poll is inadequate.

Daver
11-03-2005, 09:43 PM
You are correct, sir. The poll is inadequate.

I fixed it.

richb2
11-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I am very happy with the sox just think it is funny that everyone likes him now and in the past hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-seems a little weird to me lol. i just hope he does the right thing fromhere- I do not want to be a black cloud just being honest.

zach23
11-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I fixed it.

Can I change my vote. I had voted no opinion because I never really hated him. Did he frustrate me at times by hiring incompetent baseball people and horrible marketing people, yes. But I didn't hate the man.

Dillinger25
11-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Yah I was never a big Jerry-hater, but now that he is getting older he is like the grandpa of the White Sox, not the Big Boss. It's hard to hate the man. Breaking down when he was presented the A.L. Pennant in the clubhouse and the last-out-ball from the World Series by PK. Oh and did I mention that he brought a World Champion to the Southside.:yup:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/baseball/mlb/specials/postseason/2005/10/28/reinsdorf.ball.ap/t1_reinsdorf.jpg

Daver
11-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Can I change my vote. I had voted no opinion because I never really hated him. Did he frustrate me at times by hiring incompetent baseball people and horrible marketing people, yes. But I didn't hate the man.

Yes you can, I took care of it.

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 10:03 PM
He brought a World's Championship to the southside. If that jackass Tito Landrum didn't spoil the show, it would have come a lot quicker. Can't blame JR for that. 6 Worlds Championships to Chicago. A job well done.

ChiSoxRowand
11-03-2005, 10:08 PM
My opinion of JR changed when he basically told John Cusac screw you when he wanted tickets to the game.

soxfanreggie
11-04-2005, 12:39 AM
I have always liked JR as a person...haven't always agreed with all of his business moves...but seeing him this postseason...and hopefully seeing what he does this off-season...I'm really liking his as an owner. He gave us 6 NBA championships in Chicago and now a WS...maybe he should buy the Hawks...

tebman
11-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I never disliked JR, I just thought that he was a real-estate guy to the core who would sell or move if he got the right deal. I still carry a small smoldering concern ever since he played that game of chicken with all of us in 1988, ready to move the Sox to Tampa if he didn't get a free ballpark.

But time wounds all heels, as Groucho said, and after all these years and now the WS experience, I'm not worried about JR's intentions anymore.

Cigars for everybody! :smokin:

voodoochile
11-04-2005, 08:59 AM
I have always felt the Sox were cheap and overly cautious in the front office. I have always felt the Sox first managed the bottom line and not the baseball talent. I have always felt the Sox went with inexpensive inexperienced people to run the day to day opperations of the team.

They finally hit a winning combination in KW and OG. The finally upped the payroll to above league average. They finally went out and signed veteran starters to long term contracts. They finally went out and made move after move after move to continue improving the team and try to get over the top.

JR has made his fair share of mistakes. I still classify the White Flag Trade as one of the worst PR moves in professional sports history. My opininon on it hasn't changed. However, my opinion of JR has changed. For the last several years he has continued to plow money back into the franchise and given KW free rein to run the team as he sees fit. JR has loosened the purse strings and put fresh blood in the marketing department. He has stepped back and allowed his people to do their jobs.

Yes, I forgive JR and in addition, I ask his forgiveness for being so hard on him through the years. Maybe he deserved some of my abuse, but he seems to have learned from his mistakes and he has definitely changed the way he has run the club. Sorry, JR and thanks. Now don't go back to the old model. This one is working great. I know the cash is pouring in, use it and you can own this town. In 5 years, Wrigley can be a decrepit dump again if you just keep doing what you are doing...

WestSox
11-04-2005, 09:15 AM
My problem with JR in the past was that he didn't seem to understand that one can't run a MLB franchise the same way that one can run a regular business. JR and company made a ton of moves that may have helped the bottom line, but alienated fans (moving the games to cable [thus forcing out Harry Caray], threatening to move the team to FL, building a cheap bare-bones stadium, his role in the '94 strike and, of course, the White Flag Trade).

However, I think that he finally realized what he was doing wrong in the late '90s. He secured funding to turn his bland, maligned stadium into the classy piece of work now known as The Cell. With the exception of the club level seats, he kept ticket prices very reasonable. Despite the (still) low gate numbers, he kept the payroll semi-competitive and finally pushed it up over the average earlier this year. He allowed Kenny Williams the freedom to make some big moves. Even after the Wells and Ritchie disasters, he allowed him to make the trade for Garcia and gave him the freedom to radically change the team earlier this year.

So, yeah, I'd say that JR has turned a corner professionally. And what better way to make up for 25 years of idiocy than to win it all? :D:

daveeym
11-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm with you.

My opinion hasn't changed, but I wasn't a "JR hater" to begin with.Put me in that group as well. I did vote never had a problem with JR though, because out of the options up there it was closest.

Stoky44
11-04-2005, 09:26 AM
If JR resigns PK, I will feel a lot better about him. I just hope JR is not happy with 1 WS, and now thinks he can do whatever with the team.

nevr say dye sox
11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
To tell you the truth this year will be the defining year in JR career. He finally has the train rolling again, and if he pulls back all the new season ticket holders that have joined on will be gone the following year. They cannot fail to make the playoffs next year. With another successful season we could be in the top 1/3 in payroll. To anyone who has been upset with JR over the years remember he has other investors to listen to. He is not the sole owner of this team, their is a group of 10 and he happens to have a majority ownership of I think like 18-20%. So all the wrong doings are not necessarily his fault.

Railsplitter
11-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I've never had a Problem with Jerry Rheinsdorf. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame" episode about the "White Flag Trade"

voodoochile
11-04-2005, 10:20 AM
To tell you the truth this year will be the defining year in JR career. He finally has the train rolling again, and if he pulls back all the new season ticket holders that have joined on will be gone the following year. They cannot fail to make the playoffs next year. With another successful season we could be in the top 1/3 in payroll. To anyone who has been upset with JR over the years remember he has other investors to listen to. He is not the sole owner of this team, their is a group of 10 and he happens to have a majority ownership of I think like 18-20%. So all the wrong doings are not necessarily his fault.

I completely agree. JR has the chance to take back the city if he plays his cards right. Now is not the time for timid measures. Grab the crosstown rivals by the throat and squeeze. While they are hyping their ballpark and the bar district, the Sox can quietly go about putting together back2back championship runs and let the critics, pundits, media bores and yuppie-wannabe/Trixies say what they want and hang out where they will. We STILL don't care, because in the end "Winning is fun and fun is winning..."

Wordwoman
11-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I have to admit that I strongly disliked Jerry. My dislike was intense enough that I would refer to him only as "Reinsdork" whenever mentioning him. The baseball strike certainly influenced my feelings. Trying to move the team to Florida definitely contributed as well. The breakup of the Bulls before that dynasty needed to die added fuel to my feelings.

What I've discovered---------surprisingly so----------is that Jerry Reindorf really REALLY does love baseball and his Chicago White Sox. Everybody knows when their boss is a jerk. If asked, one would remain silent instead of speaking in glowing terms about an offensive boss. You listen to the White Sox players------to Kenny Williams-------to Ozzie Guillen-------and they all speak so highly about Jerry Reinsdorf. During this season you could see how emotional Jerry was about this team and this city. Add to that he's a boss who paid for all his employees and their spouses to go to the World Series.

I think I misjudged him. Business sometimes requires tough decisions. I am probably older and wiser now, and capable of seeing that a little better. Sorry we were so hard on you, Jerry. It will be refreshing not to hear boos anymore when your name is mentioned.

asindc
11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I still blame him for '94, but I'm willing to cease criticism in light of the past 5 years, where he has demonstrated his commitment to bringing a championship to the South Side. I was doubting his commitment before 2000, based primarily on '94. Virtually all is forgiven, but not forgotten.

jdm2662
11-04-2005, 11:00 AM
I never really disliked him to begin with. I accepted the fact that he is a shrewd business man, but you aren't successful in business by being nice. If you had a poll even before this season who was the worst owner in Chicago sports, I'm willing to bet he'd get less than 5% of the vote. When dealing with the Cubune, The Old Drunken Bastard, and Mikey Boy McCaskey, you realize Reinsdorf isn't nearly as bad the others Also, Reinsdorf, while may not publically admit it, but it's clear he's accepted he's made mistakes in the past and corrected them. He has allowed his baseball people to run the show, and it has worked out.

WestSox
11-04-2005, 11:41 AM
What I've discovered---------surprisingly so----------is that Jerry Reindorf really REALLY does love baseball and his Chicago White Sox. Everybody knows when their boss is a jerk. If asked, one would remain silent instead of speaking in glowing terms about an offensive boss. You listen to the White Sox players------to Kenny Williams-------to Ozzie Guillen-------and they all speak so highly about Jerry Reinsdorf.

I know someone who works in the front office (an ex-girlfriend of a friend) and she's said that he's a great boss. And a very family-oriented man on top of it.

DenverSock
11-04-2005, 12:18 PM

I don't know how much JR actually owns but I' d guess you're about right. If so he's not a mojority owner, he's just the chairman of the board. Yes he needs to consult with the other owners but I think he calls the majority of the shots. He's been cheap over the years, but the Sox were never a cash cow like some teams, e.g. the Yankees. I think he needed to be cheap to keep the team viable. It's one reason it took so long to win. This can be a turning point in terms of his public image depending on the nex 4-5 years. His running the team as a responsible buisinessman could presage putting us in contention for that long. He won't have to break up the team as the Marlins did.

nevr say dye sox
11-04-2005, 12:32 PM
With 10 investors I think 18-20% would be majority ownership. However thats not the point I was trying to make. We as fans have one goal and thats to root for a winner. However, JR has been very successful over the years operating the way he does. How can you second guess a kid that came from the slums of Brooklyn to become a very wealthy man stupid! I mean I would have liked to see a lot more championships over the last 10-20 years but I was not one of the 10 investors to risk $20 million dollars and buy this team. I find it funny when people call him cheap, when I would venture to guess anybody in his situation would run the team like he does. Let be honest he bought this team to make money. All investors want a ROI return on investment. Not to spend furiously just to make the fans happy.

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
This DOESNT wipe the slate clean for me. But Im willing to look past
and go forward. Everything fell into place this season and were the Champs now. However, if he were to then continue with his previous behaviors such as hiring incompetent people, going for cheaper (and mostly unproductive) players, then we wont have learned anything will we?

Nearly 2 Million people showed up for the parade and rally. Thats not a fluke. It Proved to Uncle Jerry something that was here all along, and blows a hole in his Its-always-been-a-Cubs-town-we-cant-compete-why-bother mentality. Kenny Williams commented on it at the rally "we didnt know there were this many of you". Of course Kenny, if you pretend theyre not there, you eventually start to believe it. There are a ton of us, people just dont talk about it. Im extremely excited about the number of season ticket packages that have been sold for 2006. That is such a huge plus for this Organization. DONT BLOW IT. As fast as everyone signed on, they'll quickly jump off if this team doesnt start behaving like a Championship Organization. No more cutting Corners. Nor more letting good players Leave. No more Alienating the Fanbase. We are Winners Now. If we take that next step ........ down the path that the NY Yankees have walked for many many many years ...... than you can bet EVERYONE will forget the past, and look forward

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 12:43 PM
With 10 investors I think 18-20% would be majority ownership. However thats not the point I was trying to make. We as fans have one goal and thats to root for a winner. However, JR has been very successful over the years operating the way he does. How can you second guess a kid that came from the slums of Brooklyn to become a very wealthy man stupid! I mean I would have liked to see a lot more championships over the last 10-20 years but I was not one of the 10 investors to risk $20 million dollars and buy this team. I find it funny when people call him cheap, when I would venture to guess anybody in his situation would run the team like he does. Let be honest he bought this team to make money. All investors want a ROI return on investment. Not to spend furiously just to make the fans happy.

YES, but a lot of bad bad and terrible decisions have been made by this same person. Most of them were all fiscally based (design of stadium for one). This fanbase is different from the one that resides 8 miles north, and another brutal mistake was to NOT acknowledge that fact, and the fact that the other team is ALSO a business, and in direct competition with his.
We shouldve been in the World Series at least 4 times previous to this .....

He will never admit he messed up, but instead will tell you that "it was always like this before I got here". Fine. But todays a new day. We have a World Championship, and things are a lot more different now ...........

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 12:46 PM
................. Also, Reinsdorf, while may not publically admit it, but it's clear he's accepted he's made mistakes in the past and corrected them. He has allowed his baseball people to run the show, and it has worked out.

This may seem to be the case the last couple of years .........
I hope this is the case and continues. We are a Championship Organization now, and we dont have to take anything from anyone now

JUribe1989
11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
I always liked JR and I still do. 7 World Championships is some amazing feat as an owner. He finally got the one I really cared about though. He's the best owner in sports IMO.

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 01:36 PM
He finally got the one I really cared about though. He's the best owner in sports IMO.

I was actually very moved, when he got choked up getting that ball from Konerko, and later saying it was "the most emotional moment of my life".
It was nice to physically see that he cares as much as we do .....

Dolly
11-04-2005, 03:12 PM
My problem with JR in the past was that he didn't seem to understand that one can't run a MLB franchise the same way that one can run a regular business. JR and company made a ton of moves that may have helped the bottom line, but alienated fans (moving the games to cable [thus forcing out Harry Caray], threatening to move the team to FL, building a cheap bare-bones stadium, his role in the '94 strike and, of course, the White Flag Trade).

Exactly. While I can't quite forget all of that, I have forgiven him. I don't know if the media was too hard on him in the past, or if I was too hard on him in the past, or if he's just softened up in his old age. I think he's learned from many of his mistakes. Better late than never! :smile:

richb2
11-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I have to agree with some others that wrote post here-I am willing to forgive Jerry but I can't completly erase the past-it is the past. This is a big year for him and his legacy as a baseball owner. I am realistic, baseball is a hard sport to repeat unless you are the yankees but as long as he tries this year to keep this thing going then he will be remembered very well. I am still very happy about this year-still can't believe it at times the WHITE SOX are defending world champions -who would have thought that in the dark days of 88-89 and 94-95 wow

Chips
11-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I have always felt the Sox were cheap and overly cautious in the front office. I have always felt the Sox first managed the bottom line and not the baseball talent. I have always felt the Sox went with inexpensive inexperienced people to run the day to day opperations of the team.

They finally hit a winning combination in KW and OG. The finally upped the payroll to above league average. They finally went out and signed veteran starters to long term contracts. They finally went out and made move after move after move to continue improving the team and try to get over the top.

JR has made his fair share of mistakes. I still classify the White Flag Trade as one of the worst PR moves in professional sports history. My opininon on it hasn't changed. However, my opinion of JR has changed. For the last several years he has continued to plow money back into the franchise and given KW free rein to run the team as he sees fit. JR has loosened the purse strings and put fresh blood in the marketing department. He has stepped back and allowed his people to do their jobs.

Yes, I forgive JR and in addition, I ask his forgiveness for being so hard on him through the years. Maybe he deserved some of my abuse, but he seems to have learned from his mistakes and he has definitely changed the way he has run the club. Sorry, JR and thanks. Now don't go back to the old model. This one is working great. I know the cash is pouring in, use it and you can own this town. In 5 years, Wrigley can be a decrepit dump again if you just keep doing what you are doing...

That about sums it up for me. At SoxFest last Januarry, he was sitting down listening to LaRussa, Farmer, Goose Goosage and somebody else talk about LaRussa's animal charity and telling baseball stories etc. The Dude and Quagmire both shook hands with Jerry and told him good luck or something along those lines. I didn't shake his hand or say anything. I didn't like a lot of earlier dealings. I have no complaints now.

The Dude
11-05-2005, 02:00 PM
That about sums it up for me. At SoxFest last Januarry, he was sitting down listening to LaRussa, Farmer, Goose Goosage and somebody else talk about LaRussa's animal charity and telling baseball stories etc. The Dude and Quagmire both shook hands with Jerry and told him good luck or something along those lines. I didn't shake his hand or say anything. I didn't like a lot of earlier dealings. I have no complaints now.

You were so pissed at JR and couldnt stand him.

You said "There's no way I'll shake that *******s hand!"

flo-B-flo
11-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Yes, I forgive JR and in addition, I ask his forgiveness for being so hard on him through the years. Maybe he deserved some of my abuse, but he seems to have learned from his mistakes and he has definitely changed the way he has run the club. Sorry, JR and thanks. Now don't go back to the old model. This one is working great. I know the cash is pouring in, use it and you can own this town. In 5 years, Wrigley can be a decrepit dump again if you just keep doing what you are doing... All this and then some. Those reactions he had - when he got the trophy from bud and the ball from PK - cinched it for me. Now go back and be an asshead and it will be on again. Even so, HE HIRED KW WHO HIRED OZ, AND THEY LED US TO THE WORLD SERIES TITLE................WHEEWW!!

doogiec
11-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Nearly 2 Million people showed up for the parade and rally. Thats not a fluke.

Its not a fluke, but its a pretty good indiction that Mayor Daley controls city crowd size estimates. Do you really believe 2 million people (70% of the population of Chicago, 30% of the metro area) attended that rally? They crammed that many people into that small of an area? A couple hundred thousand - maybe. A couple million? Not a chance.

Cities (not just Chicago) have a long standing tradition of lying about crowd sizes They generally take the victory celebration from the last winner, add a few hundred thousand to make ours look bigger, and announce that number. Its fun to talk about, but using that number to claim that millions of disenfranchised Sox fans exist just isn't realistic.

miker
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I fixed it.
Thanks for picking me up Daver. It definitely is a legitimate position to take and one that escaped me when I was starting this thread.

Andy T Clown
11-07-2005, 07:57 PM
He took the Sox off free TV and put them on "ON TV", tried to move the team to Fla. and tore down the best old park in baseball. These stupid decisions helped create the cubbie mania of the last 20 years.

He has now won the World Series with a coaching staff of former players and seems to be creating a Sox family atmosphere. It tool him a long time to get it right, but for me all is now forgiven.

DenverSock
11-07-2005, 07:59 PM
With 10 investors I think 18-20% would be majority ownership.

With 10 investors, or 345 investors, or two investors, or however many majority would be anything over 50%, period. Your point would be that he calls the shots I said as much.

ilsox7
11-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Its not a fluke, but its a pretty good indiction that Mayor Daley controls city crowd size estimates. Do you really believe 2 million people (70% of the population of Chicago, 30% of the metro area) attended that rally? They crammed that many people into that small of an area? A couple hundred thousand - maybe. A couple million? Not a chance.

Cities (not just Chicago) have a long standing tradition of lying about crowd sizes They generally take the victory celebration from the last winner, add a few hundred thousand to make ours look bigger, and announce that number. Its fun to talk about, but using that number to claim that millions of disenfranchised Sox fans exist just isn't realistic.

True, there is no way to officially track crowd size. But small area? Uh, they did a motorcade that covered several miles. It is definitely feasible that a couple million people lined that route. I was at Randolph and Lasalle and with the exception of the area blocked off for the parade, it was wall-to-wall people.

sox84
11-08-2005, 06:07 PM
My opinion of JR has definitely changed. I was down on him as the chairman for many of the reasons others have already listed, threatening to move to Tampa, the labor problems in 94, the white Flag trade, and my own gripe @10 years of moving the radio broadcasts to a station I couldnt pick up in central illinois (at that time I wrote a letter to Gallas asking why they did not try to promote the Sox in this area and got a snotty self righteous answer in return).

As others have stated very clearly, I think Reinsdorf learned from his mistakes, and I would think he's enjoying this far too much to do anything that would be a step sideways or back.

Dan H
11-08-2005, 06:12 PM
I have been a big critic of Reinsdorf in the past and that probably won't change. But even I gave him credit for some things and you can't argue with a World Series championship. I have been worrying about the state of the franchise for some time. I hope an historic corner has been turned. Let's hope they sign Konerko.