PDA

View Full Version : number one rival next year american league?

richb2
11-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I waiver back and forth on this one the american league is so loaded compared to the national league it is not even funny. did cleveland play over their heads last year? they are not exactly a super young team. Is boston on the down slide with old pitchers and team turmoil? Yankees are not exactly spring chickens, but they have the money to fix problems and I have a hunch th angels are going to get some big bats in that lineup by hook or crook. I think it will be the angels number one and cleveland tied with the yankees number two as being the sox biggest threat. I just think boston will be competive but will have a down year- what does every one else think???

hawkjt
11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Indians- Millwood, 2nd baseman , and several other FA's but thier core is young and with Lee, Sabbathia,Westbrook and Elarton and a bullpen that is back they will be very tough. Twins also.

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Indians.

RallyBowl
11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
IMO it's still the Twinks. At the end Cleveland played like they were scared of us. They are a good team, but I don't think they are rival material yet. Now, if the twins suck this year, and the tribe makes another run, that is a different story. I think the AJ- Torii appearance together last night will only fuel the fire. Even if they are "buddies", AJ said some **** that Hunter didn't like. It will carry over to next year.

MarySwiss
11-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Indians, hands down.

IMHO, they were tougher than any of the teams we faced in the playoffs--just not against us. And that's what did them in. Still, a lot depends on what happens with Millwood and Wickman.

Dickie Kerr
11-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Don't forget about the Royals

WestSox
11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Indians, hands down.

IMHO, they were tougher than any of the teams we faced in the playoffs--just not against us. And that's what did them in. Still, a lot depends on what happens with Millwood and Wickman.

Agreed. Hopefully it'll be like the mid-late '90s again. Of course, we'll have bragging rights this time. :wink:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
It's got to be the Indians

The_Floridian
11-03-2005, 08:21 PM
The Indians for many reasons, the largest of them being that we play them 19 teams and have to finish ahead of them to be gauranteed a playoff spot (although I think the Wild Card will also come from the Central).

After that, the Angels. After them, the Yanks and Oakland. The Blue Jays should also make a run, but their offseason will determine that.

Within our division, the Twins have pitching but no hitting, and probably won't have the money to add much more. The Tigers have hitting but their pitching is spotty. I think they'll have a winning season in '06, but just barely.

These questions will be easier to determine when the offseason moves are done, but the Sox and the Indians are really the only contenders who don't have to cut either payroll or ancient ballplayers, so that puts them ahead of the game.

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
I think the AJ- Torii appearance together last night will only fuel the fire. Even if they are "buddies", AJ said some **** that Hunter didn't like. It will carry over to next year.

What are you talking about here?

The Wall
11-03-2005, 08:35 PM
EastSPiN offseason power rankings ranks Clevelant number one ahead of the Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=powerrank2006_early

IlliniSox4Life
11-03-2005, 08:47 PM
EastSPiN offseason power rankings ranks Clevelant number one ahead of the Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=powerrank2006_early

Remember when the Cubs won the WS because Sports Illustrated said so?

CHISOXFAN13
11-03-2005, 08:56 PM
IMO it's still the Twinks. At the end Cleveland played like they were scared of us. They are a good team, but I don't think they are rival material yet. Now, if the twins suck this year, and the tribe makes another run, that is a different story. I think the AJ- Torii appearance together last night will only fuel the fire. Even if they are "buddies", AJ said some **** that Hunter didn't like. It will carry over to next year.

I think the odds are favorable that Hunter won't even be with the Twins next year.

Dickie Kerr
11-03-2005, 08:57 PM
The AL Central may be the best division in baseball next year. Very possible 4 of the 5 teams will have winning records.

hose
11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Indians

1951Campbell
11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
The Indians are threat #1.

Sure, they may have wobbled a little in the last series, but you don't go on that September tear and then come up too terribly short the next year.

Twins?

The wheels are falling off. A lot of in-fighting and back-biting. I think that window is closed.

Yanks & Red Sox?

Yanks are old and overpriced, Red Sox have no pitching and are in disarray.

Angels?

They're #2 to worry about.

A's? We may not be able to weather those road trips, but they won't make it to the playoffs, so no worries.

That's my gut, off-the-cuff assessment. Now, if I had a multi-varibale equation to back that up, I'd be a salaried writer for BP, and I'd be widely quoted in the media despite having no real clue.

Until I get that equation, I guess I'll keep my day job. :D:

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Indians.

Isn't Howry a free agent? He'd be a terrible loss. I'm not sold on Wickman.

ChiSoxRowand
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I'll say Indians, but you can't count out the Twins with their rotation.

MiamiSpartan
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Gotta go with Cleveland. I think they have an excellent chance at breaking their long streak without a title if we don't repeat. It'll be down years for Boston and NY (relatively speaking..)

SoxFanSince67
11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Indians will be a real force to deal with in 06. Leyland will have ther Tigers playing much much better. I thing the Twins will be slipping...

gobears1987
11-03-2005, 10:42 PM
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/photo/2002_news/y/young_dmitri/young_dmitri90.jpg
I stand by my words that it will be ONLY Detroit and Cleveland contending this year. No Sox or Twins.

Foulke You
11-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I think the odds are favorable that Hunter won't even be with the Twins next year.
I think this is only an outside chance. Torii did go on the record saying that if they let Jacque Jones go and don't do anything to improve the team, then he would seriously want the Twins to explore trading him. I think it highly unlikely that the Twins aren't going to improve that offense next year. They already have the core of their pitching staff under contract and they now have the $5 million they were paying Joe Mays off the books. If you let Jones go, you probably have another 5-7 million to play with. I had read that they wanted to make a play for Konerko but if they fail at that venture, I can see the Twins signing a power threat like Lyle Overbay or Kevin Millar and possibly another free agent outfielder to replace Jones. In any case, with that pitching staff of theirs, they will be pretty tough next year and so will the Tribe. Throw Leyland into the mix in Detroit and you could have the best division in baseball as the AL Central.

OEO Magglio
11-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Indians.

Isn't Howry a free agent? He'd be a terrible loss. I'm not sold on Wickman.
Millwood, Howry, and Fatty are all free agents. Those three were an absolutely huge part of their success last year. We'll see what happens but I don't think Cleveland gets that much better next year, I'm not sure if they get better at all.

OEO Magglio
11-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Twins?

The wheels are falling off. A lot of in-fighting and back-biting. I think that window is closed.

Disagree here, they have an interesting offseason ahead of them but they're going to be a force next year. Liriano is one of the best young pitchers coming into this league and with him, Johan, Radke and Silva their rotation is still damn good and we all know how dominate their bullpen is. If Morneau ever rights himself(big if) they're going to be a very solid team for years to come.

Fuller_Schettman
11-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Every year seems to have a surprise team. This year of coors it was us (to outsiders and dark clods).

So I am going to go out on a limb and say Detroit. They have the offense and just enough pitching to turn things around. Their pitching was in the top 10 in MLB until about August and then it really fell off. If they can find a closer, I think they can surprise a lot of folks and pull off a run for the WC (and if we slip, the division)

antitwins13
11-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Rivals don't change. It will be Minnesota, but Cleveland will be a tougher competitor.

mcp5185
11-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Rivals don't change. It will be Minnesota, but Cleveland will be a tougher competitor.

RIvals don't change but Minnesota is not our only rivalry. In the 90's the Indians were our biggest rival while Minnesota was down. However I think the question is asking who our toughest competitor will be. I say Cleveland with all of their young talent on offense and on the pitching staff.

SOXfnNlansing
11-04-2005, 04:30 AM
I think next season will be more of the same like this one..... we will have no threats and repeat. 2007 I think someone will emerge as a force to be dealt with.

The Racehorse
11-04-2005, 04:51 AM
I think next season will be more of the same like this one..... we will have no threats and repeat. 2007 I think someone will emerge as a force to be dealt with.

I hope you're right that the Sox will dominate the 06 season with a huge lead and repeat... however, the Sox now have the champions bullseye on their backs, and every team we'll play next year will be gunning for us... which is how I prefer it it, BTW. :cool:

Deuce
11-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Next year's rival is every year's rival: The Jndjans.

Deuce

Deuce
11-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Rivals don't change. It will be Minnesota, but Cleveland will be a tougher competitor.If rivals don't change, than the Jndjans are our rivals. The Twinks are upstarts. They beat us down the stretch for the last few years, but most fans blamed the players and the organization more than the Twinks. We never respected them as rivals, and maybe that was part of the problem, but it never rose to that level.

The Jndjans on the other hand is an all out hatred. I hate there racist mascot, I hate the stupid drums, I hate their chants, I hate the way C.C. Sa-fat-ia dresses, I hate the stupid way they write their team name, I hate the fact that they thought they could steal our Cinderella season away, I hate that they basically staggered into the World Series after the White Flag trade, and I hate the fact that in Major League 2 they beat the Sox for the AL pennant.

I hate the Jndjans.

Deuce

davenicholson
11-04-2005, 07:24 AM
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/photo/2002_news/y/young_dmitri/young_dmitri90.jpg
I stand by my words that it will be ONLY Detroit and Cleveland contending this year. No Sox or Twins.
:o:Wow! I gotta bookmark this one! :o:

WSoxFanForever
11-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Hands down, the Indians.

bobowhite
11-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Indians, hands down. To me this is great for the White Sox. If you know that one bad slide and you can be fighting for the wild card spot, it keeps you honest and working hard and doing all the team things.

gobears1987
11-04-2005, 08:24 AM
:o:Wow! I gotta bookmark this one! :o:Just a disclaimer, I of course don't believe that. Dmitri Young said that it would be just the Tigers and Indians competing for the Central early last year. He truly made an ass of himself.

fquaye149
11-04-2005, 09:25 AM
This year of coors it was us

Is this a subliminal hint? Should I give my friends from Colorado the good news? ROCKIES IN '06!!!

(to outsiders and dark clods).

Now this one had to be freudian AT LEAST. :cool:

SouthSoxFan
11-06-2005, 10:32 PM
The Indians would also have to view us as their #1 rival. Now, check out the tentative 2006 schedule: we host the Indians for the opening series, and on two other Summer weekends; meanwhile all of our trips to Cleveland are for weekday series, two in May and one in late September. I double checked this, and I'm very surprised - clearly this works in our favor financially. But it also means I can forget about another road trip to the Jake. How did the Indians not get the benefit of at least one weekend series against their main rivals? These new schedule makers seem to have abandoned many of the historical customs.

bighurt2719
11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
the tribe may view us as their main rival after last year (and i wouldnt blame them) but its still the twinks. the twinkies were way more competetive against us this year. we owned the tribe like it was going out of style this past season.
:supernana:

DumpJerry
11-06-2005, 11:40 PM
You guys are all wrong. Crede and, I think, Uribe are represented by Borasssss.

He's our biggest rival. We can take on any clown team on the field.

Chips
11-06-2005, 11:43 PM

I'm pretty sure it was Injuns who finished in first place in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2001. I am pretty sure the White Sox finished in second place in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999. The Indians were the rival for all those years, the Twinks only replaced them from 2002 to 2004, when the finished in first and we came up short in second place. In 2005, it was the Indians. Rivals do change. And this year I think it will be the Indians again.

Chips
11-06-2005, 11:49 PM
You guys are all wrong. Crede and, I think, Uribe are represented by Borasssss.

He's our biggest rival. We can take on any clown team on the field.

According to one website (I don't how to include the link) Martin Arburua is Uribe's agent, he also represents Marte.

And according to another site, it has Boras listed as Uribe's agent.

And according to another site, both men are listed with question marks after their names.

Madvora
11-07-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't think you can have a real rival that isn't in your division. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Indians.
Hopefully we can beat up on them like we did last year, but I also expect them to be right at the top with us in October. I'm predicting that they will win the wild card.

itsnotrequired
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
The Jndjans on the other hand is an all out hatred. I hate there racist mascot, I hate the stupid drums, I hate their chants, I hate the way C.C. Sa-fat-ia dresses, I hate the stupid way they write their team name, I hate the fact that they thought they could steal our Cinderella season away, I hate that they basically staggered into the World Series after the White Flag trade, and I hate the fact that in Major League 2 they beat the Sox for the AL pennant.

I hate the Jndjans.

Deuce

Well, why don't you tell us how you really feel?:D:

As far as next year is concerned, number one rival has to be the Indians.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-07-2005, 11:05 AM
As far as battling for the division title, it's Cleveland.

But I have a feeling Detroit's not going to go away without a fight.

nccwsfan
11-07-2005, 11:21 AM
The primary rival in 2006 should be simple...

:notoons

They're very good, but we've got the hardware...

Sad
11-07-2005, 11:21 AM
another vote here for the JinJin's...
sure was nice snuffing them to end the regular season :D: