PDA

View Full Version : Potential Konerko offer 50-60 mil?

ChicagoHoosier
11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm hearing on ESPN now that Angels will be offering Konerko a very sizeable contract as soon as they are allowd (11/5 or 11/10 I think). Anyone else heard this? Is this just his agent just blowing smoke, or do you think 5 years, $60-65 million is legit? Harry and Mac think 5 yrs $75 mil is possible.

EDIT: May be able to merge with the ongoing "next year" thread. Just hearing this on ESPN now and getting fired up.

Randar68
11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm hearing on ESPN now that Angels will be offering Konerko a very sizeable contract as soon as they are allowd (11/5 or 11/10 I think). Anyone else heard this? Is this just his agent just blowing smoke, or do you think 5 years, $60-65 million is legit? Harry and Mac think 5 yrs $75 mil is possible.

5/60 is an average of 12/year. I think that would be the starting point, although the # of years may vary.

65 million is about the most I'd commit to PK. Looking at others in baseball who make that kind of coin, few are as one-dimensional as PK and there are many MUCH BETTER all-around players making considerably less than 12-14 million a year.

Palehose13
11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
5/60 is an average of 12/year. I think that would be the starting point, although the # of years may vary.

65 million is about the most I'd commit to PK. Looking at others in baseball who make that kind of coin, few are as one-dimensional as PK and there are many MUCH BETTER all-around players making considerably less than 12-14 million a year.

I don't think that 5/65 is unreasonable. It may go up to 5/75 and while I think that is steep, the problem is that Paulie is the big fish out there. If one or more of the premier first basemen (Helton, Delgado, DLee) were FA's this year, IMO, Paul wouldn't get 12-15/year. So whoever gets Konerko may end up over paying, but there really isn't anyone better on the market.

Tekijawa
11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
This would be very interesting considering that Konerkos agent was quoted earlier as saying that Konerko wants a 7 year contract with a no trade clause because he wants to know where he will spend the last half of his career and have his family settle down there too. If this is for 7 years instead of 5 then we might have overestemated other teams interest in him... I really don't see him making anywhere near Beltran' contract last year at 7X17.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Teki:

For what it is worth I've recently spoken with Jim Landis the former Sox outfielder, Craig is his son....I have never heard anyone mention seven years on a deal regarding Paulie.

Lip

Flight #24
11-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Teki:

For what it is worth I've recently spoken with Jim Landis the former Sox outfielder, Craig is his son....I have never heard anyone mention seven years on a deal regarding Paulie.

Lip

I'd guess that's standard agent-speak. "He wants $1billion dollars a year for 75 years......but he'll settle for $5/65."

Norberto7
11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I'd guess that's standard agent-speak. "He wants $1billion dollars a year for 75 years......but he'll settle for $5/65."

I get a bad feeling that the 105 year old Konerko would be a liability on the basepaths.

Hawk Harrelson
11-03-2005, 05:28 PM

EDIT: May be able to merge with the ongoing "next year" thread. Just hearing this on ESPN now and getting fired up.

So in other words, bye bye Paulie.

I highly doubt Jerry or Kenny will give Paule 5 years and they shouldn't. These huge long term contracts always turn into problems. I trust that Kenny will make the right move and not throw an unreasonable amount of money at Paul just to please the fans.

DumpJerry
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I won't cry if Paulie leaves. I think he is overrated. His home run to RBI ratio (40:100) is horrible for someone who played in nearly every game this season. Paulie brought in 60 runs in 150 or so games. His glove is not bad, but not spectacular. He is a nice guy and a good ambassador for the team and the sport, but that will go only so far.

I also think he would take an offer from the Sox which is less than another team's like Dye did last year because he knows us and knows the clubhouse atmosphere. Finally, would he rather face White Sox pitching or be supported by it?

veeter
11-03-2005, 05:53 PM
How could the Angels have "officially" contacted Craig Landis? The Sox have exclusive rights to Paulie for 15 days after the series. That time period is not up yet. The thing that sucks with free-agency, is that the fans suffer. Free agency was to prevent teams from holding players hostage. With the money these guys make today, noone is a being mistreated. I know all about fair market value and player's rights, but free agency in many instances is just bad for baseball.

hawkjt
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
they can contact them but not talk money. I am hoping that 5 yr/65 m. gets it done.

MarySwiss
11-03-2005, 07:11 PM

C'mon, gang! This is ESPN we're talking about here! And since when are they the accurate barometer of ANYTHING?

As I pointed out in another thread a few days ago (and my opinion hasn't changed), you cannot ignore the intangibles. Among them: Konerko is a hero in Chicago, he's been with the team for seven years, he's a clubhouse leader. Anywhere else, he'd be starting from scratch, with a new clubhouse and new teammates. He also seems like a fairly private person; you guys heard him talk at the rally about how "he had to hear about" this, "he had to hear about" that. Can you imagine him living in the fishbowls that are New York and Boston? Factor in his statement about wanting to do it again next year and his presenting the ball to Jerry, and, at risk of being called a pollyanna, I have to believe that Konerko will be back, unless the Angels offer him an insane sum. I don't think NY and Boston are even possibilities.

That said, I also believe that the Angels pose the only serious threat to Paulie coming back to the Sox.

Mohoney
11-03-2005, 09:30 PM
they can contact them but not talk money. I am hoping that 5 yr/65 m. gets it done.

I would go 6 years, $80 million, and hope he takes it. A complete no-trade clause would also pretty much have to be included, I would think.

Include a player option/club buyout situation for a 7th year if he really wants that 7th year so badly. Something like a $15 million player option with a $5 million buyout.

I would structure it something like this: The first year starts at $10 million, and there is a $1 million dollar raise each year, culminating with $15 million for the 6th year. 6 years, $75 million dollars, and the player option/club buyout 7th year.

If he won't take this offer, then offer it to Buehrle as an extension that locks him up through the 2013 season, and 2014 if he so desires. Scratch the club option in 2007, guarantee that year, and have this extension start in 2008.

jabrch
11-03-2005, 09:45 PM
6 or 7 years? That's crazy for a guy who is already almost 30 years old.

Really, if PK wants a deal that will handcuff the club he is on in the not so far off future, that's fine - let him eat cake.

I want him back, but not for more than 5 years. I'd be less concerned about the money per season, and more concerned about the length. 12mm, 13mm, 14mm whatever...but when you start talking about being stuck paying him at age 36 and 37, that's when I lose interest in him VERY fast. I wouldn't mind seeing him sign somewhere else if he gets 7 years and 15mm per.

I do want PK back, but not if the deal is going to strap the Sox in future years. I want him back as part of a team that is built to win for years to come.

Vernam
11-03-2005, 09:53 PM
I would go 6 years, $80 million, and hope he takes it. A complete no-trade clause would also pretty much have to be included, I would think.At that price, I don't think trading him would be much of an option, clause or not. See: Ramirez, Manny. :cool:

It's a tough call. By paying him, do they ensure the '05 team will return mostly intact for another title run? Or do they ensure that we won't have enough money left to pay everyone else for the next five years? We really dodged a bullet when Maggs left, and my gut feeling is that Paulie's not a franchise player. But 40-HR guys are becoming way rare, and he's got leadership qualities we'd miss badly.

Another factor is that AL teams can help themselves by hurting the Sox. I don't think that was much of a consideration until now, but some GMs have to look at our roster and consider they might knock us out of contention by taking him away.

Vernam

richb2
11-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I have seen on other baseball sites that paulies agent said he is looking for 50-60 million over 5 years-he said that they angels would pay that-for me if it does not go over 60 then the sox should do it

richb2
11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
the oterh site are saying he said this on espn radio

1951Campbell
11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
That seems kinda cheap.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
If it's true...sounds like Paulie's still in the ballpark for the WS to get him.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
The newspapers reported last week the Sox were preparing a four year, 48 million dollar offer. The potential sticking point is that reportedly Konerko wants five years.

Lip

DickAllen72
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Alright, if this is true the Sox should just offer him $55M over 5 years. The offer stands until November 10, then it's off the table. Take it or leave it.

I think it's overpaying for his talent, but it may be worth it from a PR standpoint.

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 10:23 PM
The newspapers reported last week the Sox were preparing a four year, 48 million dollar offer. The potential sticking point is that reportedly Konerko wants five years.

LipThey offered 5 years to Magglio last year. He was also 30 years old at the time. If another team offered 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox matched it.

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 10:24 PM
I say, does anyone know what the score is?

richb2
11-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I live out in san jose california and I am just relaying what is being reported out here tonight on some of the local califonia websites-you have to guess it would be 60 million -5 years-almost 12 a year not chump money and it would be a nice raise-----out her ein the west the big thing is the 5 years it is a must. so do not shoot the messenger lol-thinks sometime break earlier here then chicago because of the time differnce

A.T. Money
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Damn Rich. Slow down, form some real sentences. It's a task just trying to read your posts.

soxfanreggie
11-03-2005, 10:31 PM
For what Paulie gives us compared to some superstars paid a lot more, the 5 years $55 mil would be a great deal, imo. If he would sign for $50 mil, that would give us a lot, but I think JR would definitely we willing to pay $10-$11 mil. We just won the World Series heavily thanks to the bat of PK. I'm def. willing to tender him a 5 year offer under $60 mil. Although I hope that he isn't given a 5 year $70 mil or so offer from either team in NY. I also wonder what the D-Backs or Angels would offer. However, if that's what he wants and will resign with us for the $10-$11 mil, I'm all for it.

Unregistered
11-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I'll be more than happy if PK re-signs with the Sox for $10 million/year. The way this weak-ass FA class is shaping up this offseason, it seems like a bargain.

batmanZoSo
11-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Sounds right to me. Get it done and let's get a solid reliever and play ball.

richb2
11-03-2005, 10:42 PM
jjust reporting from california that some other baseball sites are saying that paulies agent just said recently tonigth that paulie want 50-60 million over 5 years.you would have to sayit is the 60 million dollar mark-which seems in the range if these reports out here are accurate

OEO Magglio
11-03-2005, 10:46 PM
You aren't very bright, are you?

richb2
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
yeah-right -hearing the same thing on sports radio out here in california-a lot of angels fans on the radio talking- is it the truth I am not sure but what he is looking for has to come out sooner or later in the press.-will he get even more, maybe he is floating something out there that the sox can give him

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
jjust reporting from california that some other baseball sites are saying that paulies agent just said recently tonigth that paulie want 50-60 million over 5 years.you would have to sayit is the 60 million dollar mark-which seems in the range if these reports out here are accurateWhat's the over/under on how many times he starts this same thread before he figures it out?

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 11:14 PM
What's the over/under on how many times he starts this same thread before he figures it out?

Let's see .... we have until November 15th? 7

Nellie_Fox
11-03-2005, 11:54 PM
What's the over/under on how many times he starts this same thread before he figures it out?I don't know, but he's on his way to my ignore list. Reading his posts is giving me fibrilations.

richb2
11-04-2005, 12:42 AM
I live out her ein san jose california and soem talk on the radio today that konerko is looking for 5 years-55-60 million- alot of excited angels fans on the radio. I fthis is what he is looking for then i think the sox can do this-and sign him and not break the bank

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Oooook. Anyone know how much Paulie wants according to a radio station in California?

DSpivack
11-04-2005, 03:25 AM
What about a front-loaded contract?

Also, a Manny trade seems far-fetched, but so did the A-Rod deal before it happened.

I'm hoping the Angels get Manny--I don't know how many other suitors Paulie has, but that would obviously take them out.

It would make the Angels a scarier team, but then they wouldn't resign Washburn, etc.

Domeshot17
11-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Keep in mind, the way money inflates, even if we gave him 13 a year, in 2 years of that deal, it will even out to about 10 a year today. and 13 a year is only a 4.5 mil raise, the man was getting paid nicely before, 8.75, This post season lifted him into near super-star status, so give him what carl made last year and be happy with him at first. You get Dyes money off the books next year for major league minimuim Brian Anderson and after he comes up, Pods moves to DH as Major League Minimuim Chris Young takes over(all superior defenders to pods) and you have Indians like success (90+ wins, 60 mil payroll).

Here is what I don't understand. Almost everyone on here wanted Griffey, and his 12.5 a year. Now i know 6 is deffered, but thats STILL 6.5 on the books.

6.5+ 8.75+4.5 (Paulie+ Griffey+Carl)= 19.75 mil

Now figure you were lookin at 3 guys 2 spots there

so 19.75-13= 6.75 left to go out and get a good hitting DH, such as Aubrey Huff and break even for the Griffey Scenario.

The Money is there, Jerry made a HUGE chunk of Change this year. Now, I have to think Paulie ( especially after giving him the ball) has turned into his Jordan. Now Paulie is not worth the 30 mil a year Jordan got, but he is worth easily worth a 4.5 mil a year raise for what he did this year. Im esitimating the White Sox, between tickets and merchandice and ALL the world series hoopla sold made a good 10-12 mil extra this year. Season Ticket Sales are through the roof, we can run out a payroll like the cubs if we need too.

Those at the parade or saw it on tv might get a kick out of this, my surround sound for my tv has an option to measure decibal out put. On the same volume, I think I set it at a 12 db measure(still not really sure how to use this thing) the 3 loudest player applauses were Buehlre, 8.30, Crede 9.25, and Paulie 9.65.

Reinsdorf for the first time since 1998 feels loved by chicago, and I dont think he can take or wants to take the PR hit from losing Konerko. So if Paulie pulls an AROD, and runs for the money, it won't be because the Sox did not pony up a hefty offer, and my pick for sleeper at first base for a trade, if we lose PK, is Adam Dunn.

oeo
11-04-2005, 07:49 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I won't cry if Paulie leaves. I think he is overrated. His home run to RBI ratio (40:100) is horrible for someone who played in nearly every game this season. Paulie brought in 60 runs in 150 or so games. His glove is not bad, but not spectacular. He is a nice guy and a good ambassador for the team and the sport, but that will go only so far.

I also think he would take an offer from the Sox which is less than another team's like Dye did last year because he knows us and knows the clubhouse atmosphere. Finally, would he rather face White Sox pitching or be supported by it?

We weren't exactly a huge run-scoring team...he can't drive you in if you're not on the basepaths. He had a pretty bad start to the season as well. Anyway you look at it, he was huge in the ALCS for us, getting us out to early leads in Games 3 and 4.

Steelrod
11-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Paulie is the team leader. But I remember his early squabbles with Frank and others. It takes time to get into that position of respect. Paulie is a god in Chicago, but if he goes elsewhere, it will take him a year or two to feel his way along, not to mention that he is marketable in Chicago, which means $$$$$.

If he's looking for comfort and respect, he'll stay. If it's only about money, he gone! And with him goes all his post season awards and honors. ( but he will have a ring)

If 50-60 millions isn't enough, 250-260 isn't much better.. His greatgranchildren are already set. There is only one Bill Gates, and he has a much higher batting average.

Either way, best to you Paulie!

XplodingScorbord
11-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I live out her ein san jose california and soem talk on the radio today that konerko is looking for 5 years-55-60 million- alot of excited angels fans on the radio. I fthis is what he is looking for then i think the sox can do this-and sign him and not break the bank

Did you hear that on "Ein Kleine Nachtsportsradio?" Seriously, man, raedign your posts givse me a hadeake.

Flight #24
11-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Just my .02, but assuming that offers for Paulie will top out in the $13M/yr range, which is in line with various reports that he'll get a "Sexson-like deal", here's what I would do if I were KW (along with running naked through the streets at my newfound World Champion GM status).

Paulie gets his choice of the following:

#1 - $52/4, a straight $13M/yr offer and a raise of about $4M

#2 - $72/6, the long-term deal he's looking for. But structured thusly: $6M signing bonus, and salaries of $14 (4 deferred), $14(4 deferred), 11, 11, 10, 6. For the Sox, it's effectively $10M/yr over 5 years plus a $6M signing bonus, which comes right out of playoff revenues and a $6M salary when he's 36, plus $8M in deferrals. For Paulie, he gets big upfront $$ and averages $12M/yr over the first 4 years. The "hometown discount" comes in later years as the salary declines and is offet by the deferral payment in yr 8.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Something in the newspaper caught my eye this morning. It may or may not be posturing, I don't know. The paper quoted Craig Landis as saying Konerko wants a 'no trade' clause in his deal.

As DJ would say...'uh-oh...'

Lip

gf2020
11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Something in the newspaper caught my eye this morning. It may or may not be posturing, I don't know. The paper quoted Craig Landis as saying Konerko wants a 'no trade' clause in his deal.

Actually, I would think that would be a deterrent to other teams, more so than the White Sox. Doesn't Konerko become a 5-10 guy in like 2 years if he signs with us? So he'd essentially have a no-trade clause here anyway. I mean, If we are at all worried about being in a position where we have to trade him within the next two years, we shouldn't be signing him in the first place.

If it's really going to be a deal breaker, give it to him. No-trade clauses are waived so often nowadays that they aren't that big of a factor anyway.

TDog
11-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Other teams could well outbid the Sox for Konerko, just as teams bid insanely for Beltran after last year's postseason. Mets fans aren't happy with Beltran, in part because he came in with expectations he couldn't fulfill. I would think teams have learned about the folly of committing big long-term money for the flavor of the month of October.

Sox fans know what they have in Konerko. They don't expect him to hit 50 home runs. They darn well know he isn't going to hit .320, .310 or even .300. There have been times when he's frustrated fans, but he's part of the family. He can get off to slow starts, which might frustrate Sox fans but would fail to win over fans in a city where he comes in as the new big-bucks wonderboy.

I like Konerko. The Sox got a lot more out of him than people expected. It wasn't that long ago that people thought he would have a short career because of hip problems. I would love to see Konerko stay with the Sox into the next decade. Konerko changing uniforms wouldn't be good for anyone.

Hitmen77
11-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Lip

Maybe a no trade clause would be a problem for another team pursuing Paul, but not for the Sox. Konerko came up to the majors sometime in '97, so he would become a 5/10 player here by the end of 2007 and would have an automatic no-trade clause at that point.

Hitmen77
11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
If Konerko is strictly looking at the bottom line, could it be argued that he'll be kissing goodbye endorsement deals if he leaves the Sox? I don't think he'd have as much star quality in another market as the guy how lead some other team to a World Series title. But here in Chicago, you'd think he could cash in endorsements-wise.

I have no idea what sort of dollar figures would be involve in any endorsements he could earn by staying in Chicago. Anyone care to speculate?

TDog
11-04-2005, 12:13 PM
If Konerko is strictly looking at the bottom line, could it be argued that he'll be kissing goodbye endorsement deals if he leaves the Sox? I don't think he'd have as much star quality in another market as the guy how lead some other team to a World Series title. But here in Chicago, you'd think he could cash in endorsements-wise.

I have no idea what sort of dollar figures would be involve in any endorsements he could earn by staying in Chicago. Anyone care to speculate?

An AP story after the Series discussed endorsement possibilities for White Sox players. Konerko was thought to have the best future in endorsements, but only if he resigns with the Sox and not until he resigns with the Sox.

I don't know what sort of money would be involved, though.

CHIsoxNation
11-04-2005, 12:17 PM

That right there is a big advantage the Sox have right now. Paulie knows that the city loves him and he has a chance to be even more of an icon here. Even though he is not one to be full of himself or bring attention to himself, I think the amount of money he will make on endorsements here in Chicago on top of his big contract will be worth far more than any team could offer him in the long run.

At least I hope so...

Flight #24
11-04-2005, 12:21 PM
That right there is a big advantage the Sox have right now. Paulie knows that the city loves him and he has a chance to be even more of an icon here. Even though he is not one to be full of himself or bring attention to himself, I think the amount of money he will make on endorsements here in Chicago on top of his big contract will be far more than any team could offer him in the long run.

At least I hope so...

Also, don't undervalue the "never pay for a meal" factor. If Paulie resigns and spends either a significant chunk or the rest of his career here, he'll be like any of the '85 Bears: walk into a place and get comped. If he leaves, that will be significantly reduced.

Of course, if he doesn't want to live in Chicago after playing, that won't be a factor. I know he's said "it's too cold for me here", but if he spent the next 5-8 years here, he could get used to it.

Palehose13
11-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Also, don't undervalue the "never pay for a meal" factor. If Paulie resigns and spends either a significant chunk or the rest of his career here, he'll be like any of the '85 Bears: walk into a place and get comped. If he leaves, that will be significantly reduced.

Of course, if he doesn't want to live in Chicago after playing, that won't be a factor. I know he's said "it's too cold for me here", but if he spent the next 5-8 years here, he could get used to it.

He could always live here in the summer and have another place in the winter. Ditka had (I believe he sold) a house in FLA where he sent the cold months. But then again, Paulie will probably have kids to think about.

maurice
11-04-2005, 03:53 PM
They offered 5 years to Magglio last year. He was also 30 years old at the time. If another team offered 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox matched it.

Unless they realize that the key to the 2005 season was the fact that Ordonez turned down the 5-year deal. If Ordonez took the deal, I seriously doubt that we'd be champs right now.