PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times' Elliott Harris tackles media bias

maurice
11-03-2005, 01:59 PM
A couple of snippets from today's "Quick Hits" column (http://www.suntimes.com/output/quickhits/cst-spt-1hit03.html):
It's merely conjecture, to be sure, but if the Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees had won the World Series, they likely would have occupied a greater space on the cover of the new issue of Sports Illustrated than the upper right-hand corner -- as the White Sox do. . . .
The highly respected Boston Globe has come in for some criticism because of the perception the paper's ownership role [] might have affected its coverage of Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein's ill-fated contract negotiations. Not that anyone around here would draw a parallel to a major Midwest market with a team that plays in Wrigley Field or anything like that.

Deuce
11-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Zing!!!

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 02:25 PM
A couple of snippets from today's "Quick Hits" column (http://www.suntimes.com/output/quickhits/cst-spt-1hit03.html):Shocking.

32nd&Wallace
11-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Am confused. Didn't the Sox make the cover of SI last week?

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I thought SI was published in Chicago. We should wage an all-out campaign for the entire team being Sportsmen of the Year.

FedEx227
11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah we were on last week, but 1 week for the World Champs then its back to the top left corner? I could understand a monthly paper, but I think we could use 2 weeks on the cover it can't kill them.

Whats even more ridiculous is that Peyton vs. Brady is the cover story a game that still had 5-6 days to go, I find it hard to believe something that WILL happen is much more interesting then something that DID happen.

...but what a surprise.

Dick Allen
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Elliot Harris is another Cub-loving Sun-Times mediot, but he has an even bigger (obnoxious) obsession with Anna Kournikova..

IowaSox1971
11-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Am confused. Didn't the Sox make the cover of SI last week?

Other than blatant East Coast bias, I can't think of any reason that the end of an 88-year championship drought would be deemed less noteworthy than a preview of an NFL regular-season matchup.

Foulke You
11-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Elliot Harris is another Cub-loving Sun-Times mediot, but he has an even bigger (obnoxious) obsession with Anna Kournikova..
Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. Harris also has an obsession about any other woman slightly involved with sports that has a nice figure. I'm all about "being a guy" and spotting the lovely ladies but his columns are downright creepy especially when you glance at his photo at the top of the column. Also, he never misses an opportunity to slam the Sox and I hope he is choking on our World Series Championship.

woodenleg
11-04-2005, 02:01 AM
hrm...did I fall down some rabbit hole here?

These items are a problem...how, exactly? The second one was quite nasty to you-know-who.