PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a bandwagoneer

Coolpapa
11-03-2005, 05:28 AM
They say they are "a fan of all chicago sports teams"

SOecks
11-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Ha, I just don't want to hear that the bandwagoneers are the ones with all the "fresh, just purchased Sox gear". Just because I went out and bought a ton MORE Sox stuff doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon jumper. I still wear my stinky red, white, and yellow (used to be white) sox cap. It just offends my wife a little too much so I had to go out and get a new one. :smile:

Foulke You
11-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Ha, I just don't want to hear that the bandwagoneers are the ones with all the "fresh, just purchased Sox gear". Just because I went out and bought a ton MORE Sox stuff doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon jumper. I still wear my stinky red, white, and yellow (used to be white) sox cap. It just offends my wife a little too much so I had to go out and get a new one. :smile:
Agreed. All Sox fan's World Series merchandise is brand new and what self respectin' true blue White Sox fan didn't rush out to buy that stuff? However, I would say that new Sox merchandise is a "secondary" characteristic of the bandwagoner only in concert with other symptoms. You have to look for warning signs like the aforementioned "I'm a Chicago Fan" admission COMBINED with new merchandise could mean someone hopped on the bandwagon with both feet.

Also, if it seems like the person you are talking to knows nothing about the Sox pre October games, i.e. they stare at you with a blank expression when you mention a memorable A.J. game against the Dodgers or the 1-0 masterpiece by Buehrle on Opening Day OR they simply are baffled by simple baseball discussion, you could very well be talking to a Cub fan in disguise. A real Sox fan would know these things.:cool:

skottyj242
11-03-2005, 10:53 AM
I hopped on the el a couple of weeks ago wearing a Sox jacket with the World Series logo on it and some dude bumped his buddy and said something along the lines of "I hate all these brand new fly by night Sox fans who are wearing brand new stuff." I looked at him and said "Of course it's brande new ******bag, it says World Seires on it, when else would I have gotten it?" Then I took off my smelly Einhorn E hat and held it to his nose and told him that's three summers worth of sweat at Comiskey...then I walked away.

SOXPHILE
11-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Just wearing new Sox World Championship merchandise isn't a telltale sign. Most of us here already have that stuff, and plan on getting more. However, if they do things like leave the tag on their hat, and the brim is perfectly straight & not bent at all, it may arouse suspicion. Talking to them will help weed them out. If they say "I'm a Chicago fan, so I'm happy", watch out. Also, like Cub fans, if during your conversaton(s) with them, they really couldn't tell you about any details of the games this season; If they don't know what the following mean, what they were, or what happened:

-"1 hour & 39 minutes"
-"Vote For Scott"
-"A.J. vs Dodgers, 6/18/05"
-"Big Frank, 12 in 34"
-"1 inning, 10 runs, 6/15/05"

(Feel free to add on) if they don't know what these, and other things mean, it's pretty safe to assume your dealing with a "Bandwagon Jumper"

Fenway
11-03-2005, 11:04 AM
rumor has it a certain formely homeless Cubs fan is wearing SOX World Champion stuff

WOO

http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/images/trip3.jpg

Joosh
11-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Just wearing new Sox World Championship merchandise isn't a telltale sign. Most of us here already have that stuff, and plan on getting more. However, if they do things like leave the tag on their hat, and the brim is perfectly straight & not bent at all, it may arouse suspicion. Talking to them will help weed them out. If they say "I'm a Chicago fan, so I'm happy", watch out. Also, like Cub fans, if during your conversaton(s) with them, they really couldn't tell you about any details of the games this season; If they don't know what the following mean, what they were, or what happened:

-"1 hour & 39 minutes"
-"Vote For Scott"
-"A.J. vs Dodgers, 6/18/05"
-"Big Frank, 12 in 34"
-"1 inning, 10 runs, 6/15/05"

(Feel free to add on) if they don't know what these, and other things mean, it's pretty safe to assume your dealing with a "Bandwagon Jumper"

Heh, thats gonna be my new bandwagon test. I have some suspicions about a few people I've talked to, I'm just gonna have to quiz them.

tlebar318
11-03-2005, 11:26 AM

I was sitting at Game#1 of the World Series next to a guy who was saying this very thing....He went on to say how great it was to be a Sox fan. He then proceeded to tell me that if a World Series ever happened at Wrigley it would be an even bigger party than the Sox winning....He sat on his cell phone the whole game or chatted with his friends about work....what an ass. And to think some real Sox fan could have been sitting there instead of him and his 3 "bandwagon" friends from the North Side! :angry:

SOXintheBURGH
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I've been wearing the same Sox hat for years now. A day after we won some clown at the bear wearing a Cub hat says "Now that they won a title everyone's coming out with their Sox stuff."

I proceeded to take off my hat and show him all the dirt, sweat, and grime caked around the inside of my hat from years of service in Sox Army.

1951Campbell
11-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Then I took off my smelly Einhorn E hat and held it to his nose and told him that's three summers worth of sweat at Comiskey...

Another Einhorn E hat wearer! Woo hoo! That makes about 4 of us among hundreds of thousands of fans.

I thought I was being cheap and sentimental by never buying a new Sox hat, but the Einhorn E does wonders to ferret out bandwagoners. Or Sox fans under 20 years old.

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 12:25 PM
If the only route they know to The Cell is the Dan Ryan....

LuvSox
11-03-2005, 12:38 PM

They don't want to get lost in a bad neighborhood. :D:

Iwritecode
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Uh oh... :redface:

Stroker Ace
11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
The other day some doucebag yelled at me, "Hey, is that a new hat!" I then proceded to do the usual show the sweat stains and make him smell it. It smells like sweat, killians, and champagne. It smells like victory.

credefan24
11-03-2005, 01:30 PM
The other day some doucebag yelled at me, "Hey, is that a new hat!" I then proceded to do the usual show the sweat stains and make him smell it. It smells like sweat, killians, and champagne. It smells like victory.

"I love the smell of sweaty Sox hats in the morning."

Seriously, asking these potential "fans" about MB's game, 1-0, AJ's HR are great questions.
I have one more. Ask about "the Boone Walk"

zach23
11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
If anyone tries to say that I am a bandwagon hopper, I will have a copy of the picture in this post with me: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=904622#post904622

And they can ask me anything about past Sox teams and I will tear them to shreds answering.

whitesoxwin
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Here is the scenario:
Game 2 ALCS--Angel Home run ball to left....
Two youngsters (young adults) in front of me w/ "new" White Sox jerseys.
They both stood up (along with others) yelling: "Throw it back!!"
I politely reminded them of our tradition: Sox Fans keep balls.
They went: "Huh??"
Bandwagoners, oh yea!!
Just like my stepson: "I am a CHICAGO FAN"----Give me a break.
2006 will be interesting.
Wonder if some moron will buy "Woo-Woo" a season package?
Hang in there SoxFans!!

DumpJerry
11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
This is easy, really.

When I wear my early 70's hat, BWJs (Bandwagon jumpers) say "cool a Red Sox hat!" I reply "No. It's a red Sox hat." I get a puzzled look. TBs (True Believers) upon spying the hat say "Wow. Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen and Ed Hermann! Those were the days!"

When in the mens' room, observe how they use the sink.

Mention the name "Cubs" to them. A BWJ's eyes will light up like Pavlov's dogs. A TB will roll his/her eyes, sigh and reply that they are meaningless now.

Tell someone your season seats are in Section 165. That is the real test.

Ask the person which beer they get from Beers Around the World. The response should tell you all you need to know.

When they get a hot dog or Polish off the grill, do they look at it like it is poison because it was not sitting in warm water for three weeks?

Ask them where they were when Ozuna stole home this season. Better yet, ask them what position Pablo Ozuna plays (he did not appear in the World Series, so they will be stumped).

Ask if they think The Great American Hero will be a good replacement for Frank Thomas when Frank can't play. Ask them why they give the answer they gave.

Ask them who they choose to win the pizza race. If they reply "the mushroom/ black olive with pesto" pizza, it's a BWJ!

Ask them how they feel when they see Rowand square away to bunt. A TB will turn sheet white and say "why??? he can't bunt!" A BWJ will say "square? what are you talking about?"

Finally, next season if the Sox lose 4 in row, see if they still wear their Sox stuff.

I think this will help...............

MarySwiss
11-03-2005, 02:31 PM
This is easy, really.

When I wear my early 70's hat, BWJs (Bandwagon jumpers) say "cool a Red Sox hat!" I reply "No. It's a red Sox hat." I get a puzzled look. TBs (True Believers) upon spying the hat say "Wow. Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen and Ed Hermann! Those were the days!"

When in the mens' room, observe how they use the sink.

Mention the name "Cubs" to them. A BWJ's eyes will light up like Pavlov's dogs. A TB will roll his/her eyes, sigh and reply that they are meaningless now.

Tell someone your season seats are in Section 165. That is the real test.

Ask the person which beer they get from Beers Around the World. The response should tell you all you need to know.

When they get a hot dog or Polish off the grill, do they look at it like it is poison because it was not sitting in warm water for three weeks?

Ask them where they were when Ozuna stole home this season. Better yet, ask them what position Pablo Ozuna plays (he did not appear in the World Series, so they will be stumped).

Ask if they think The Great American Hero will be a good replacement for Farnk Thomas when Frank can't play. Ask them why they give the answer they gave.

Ask them who they choose to win the pizza race. If they reply "the mushroom/ black olive with pesto" pizza, it's a BWJ!

Ask them how they feel when they see Rowand square away to bunt. A TB will turn sheet white and say "why??? he can't bunt!" A BWJ will say "square? what are you talking about?"

Finally, next season if the Sox lose 4 in row, see if they still wear their Sox stuff.

Ask them to name the park where the Sox play their spring training home games. (This one will probably also take out the casual Sox fan.)

getonbckthr
11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
for the most part this could be true, but definately not in all cases. I know a few people who are pure chicago fans, and just can't bring themselves to cheering against their own city. They have been "chicago" fans all their lives. Personally I do not have a problem at all with the cubs team or management. My problem is purely with the 90% of their fans who feel they are better than everyone else, while not having a clue that they finished 4th in a horrible division. I will watch Cub games if the Sox aren't playing, I will keep track of what they do during the year, and I will get into knowledgeable and intellectual discussions with cub fans regarding their team (yes there are some out there).

Gavin
11-03-2005, 02:38 PM
According to some of the posts in this thread you have to live in Chicago to be a diehard Sox fan.

DumpJerry
11-03-2005, 02:47 PM
According to some of the posts in this thread you have to live in Chicago to be a diehard Sox fan.
Not at all. You just have to be a follower of the team during the Lean Period (November, 1917-October 26, 2005 is the Lean Period).

It just so happens that most of us live here and would be able to attend games regularly, hence the comments about how to get to Comiskey.

MarySwiss
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Gee, I didn't get that impression at all. And you don't have to live in Chicago to be a bandwagon jumper either; there are plenty of them in Arizona and probably a lot of other places.

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 02:52 PM
(November, 1917-October 26, 2005 is the Lean Period).

:kneeslap:

CaptainBallz
11-03-2005, 02:57 PM
You's are all a bunch of snobs!

Definitely claiming one is a "Chicago Fan" is, in my opinion, THE telltale sign. Any real Flubs fan (lord help them) wouldn't even say that.

I can't really go by the fresh merchandise factor. I know that I have had MANY a Sox hat over the years and they can't all smell like sweat and dog turd instantaneously.

One question: "Thunderstruck: What does it mean to you?"---sure way to take many a BWJ down for the count.

tlebar318
11-03-2005, 02:58 PM

I assure you I am diehard and I live in Orlando--geograpical location has nothing to do with it....

The_Floridian
11-03-2005, 03:11 PM
"Do you win 96 games cause you're lucky?"

BWJ: "No, probably not."
TB: (with Hawk accent) "You win 96 games cause dammit, you are GOOD!"

DumpJerry
11-03-2005, 03:18 PM
"Do you win 96 games cause you're lucky?"

BWJ: "No, probably not."
TB: (with Hawk accent) "You win 96 games cause dammit, you are GOOD!"
TB: I dunno. We won 99.

Paxson93
11-03-2005, 04:44 PM

Rollin!

BTW I had a dude behind me for WS Game 1 who yelled "Candy Corn!" for every pop up. :?: A BWJ but he was trying so hard!

TornLabrum
11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Another Einhorn E hat wearer! Woo hoo! That makes about 4 of us among hundreds of thousands of fans.

I thought I was being cheap and sentimental by never buying a new Sox hat, but the Einhorn E does wonders to ferret out bandwagoners. Or Sox fans under 20 years old.

And identifying it as an Einhorn E can be a litmus test for a bandwagoner.

DSpivack
11-04-2005, 02:36 AM
You's are all a bunch of snobs!

Definitely claiming one is a "Chicago Fan" is, in my opinion, THE telltale sign. Any real Flubs fan (lord help them) wouldn't even say that.

I can't really go by the fresh merchandise factor. I know that I have had MANY a Sox hat over the years and they can't all smell like sweat and dog turd instantaneously.

One question: "Thunderstruck: What does it mean to you?"---sure way to take many a BWJ down for the count.

Eh, there are "Chicago" fans who are just bandwagon jumpers, and there are really "Chicago" fans. Both of my parents grew up in Rogers Park, but both would attend plenty of games every summer at both parks, and my mom's two brothers would grill her on the starting lineups for both Chicago teams.

My dad was more of a Cubs fan, but would take me to games in both parks when I was little, and Sox games when I was older [and he was in town, my parents were divorced]. After years, he got sick of the futility, and fell in love with the Cardinals, just 90 miles from his home in Springfield.

He passed away this July---he would have loved just see either team in Chicago bring home the trophy. He knew the history of both teams very well.

For some reason I became a Sox fan--and my mom has become one because of my obsession. My dad could never quite figure why I liked the Sox, but never really thought anything of it.

I think they do and can exist--but are a rare breed.

Some of the most fun I've had discussing baseball/ getting taunted by Cubs fans/ taunting back was working in the deli dept. at Treasure Island on Clybourn near North Ave. Proudly wore a Sox hat every day to work, which always sparked fun conversations.

Corlose 15
11-04-2005, 02:56 AM
This is easy, really.

When I wear my early 70's hat, BWJs (Bandwagon jumpers) say "cool a Red Sox hat!" I reply "No. It's a red Sox hat." I get a puzzled look. TBs (True Believers) upon spying the hat say "Wow. Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen and Ed Hermann! Those were the days!

I got accused of being a frontrunner last year for wearing my blue SOX hat with the 1983 batter logo on it. :rolleyes:

SAUSAGE ALL THE WAY!!!!!!:cool:

An even tougher question would be asking them how the feel about Pods sac bunting.

Hell, even I'm done when the Sox lose 4 in a row.

Soxfanspcu11
11-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Here is the scenario:
Game 2 ALCS--Angel Home run ball to left....
Two youngsters (young adults) in front of me w/ "new" White Sox jerseys.
They both stood up (along with others) yelling: "Throw it back!!"
I politely reminded them of our tradition: Sox Fans keep balls.
They went: "Huh??"
Bandwagoners, oh yea!!

I don't know if this necessarily means they are BW's, I know a lot of Sox fans that don't know about this tradition. Granted they are not "die-hards" but they are Sox fans. I think they just assume that throwing the ball back is the thing to do because the Cubune company saturates the airwaves saying things like, "true fans throw the ball back", it could be totally innocent. Also keep in mind that when a homerun ball is hit by the opposing team, there are TONS of fans in the seats telling whomever caught it to "throw it back", and most people are probably intimidated to do so.

I do like some of the possible questions to ask people to see if they are BW's though, here are a few of mine, keep them coming though, some good ideas so far!

Ask them the address of the stadium.

Ask what was in place before the Fandeck and Fundamentals.

If they complain that people aren't "partying" in the stand because they are watching the game.

If they complain that there is not enough OLD STYLE beer vendors.

Ask how many rows they cut off the upper deck.

Oh, and one of my favorites, the BW's will still buy 500 level tickets and try to get down to the 100 level, not knowing that was done away with 2 years ago.

They will complain how Comiskey has no "soul" and is a corporate playground. (Apparently a decaying building that smells of human waste is the HEART of baseball:rolleyes: ).

Also, previous posters have mentioned this, ask them about specific games, a BW will have NO idea about any games prior to October. And mix it up too, it's hard for even die-hards to remember every game and play. But at the same time, don't ask them about regular season games that BW's might have watched, like high profile games against Boston or New York or the Flubs.

Ask them questions about games vs. Tampa Bay and Arizona. Example, "The Sox trailed 6-1 to Arizona in June, who was the winning pitcher?" It's a bit of a trick question because the question itself makes it sound like the Sox lost.

But I think one of the BIGGEST signs of a BW, is how they react before the game starts.
If your suspicious of someone, watch them after Thunderstruck starts playing(assuming they keep this next year) and Gene starts announcing the Sox and their positions, they (BW's) WILL NOT expect the fireworks!!!!

I saw this happen a few times during this past season, it was hilarious! lol! They would be standing watching and all of a sudden the fireworks would explode and they would jump back or shake, completely startled! The best was the first game against the Flubs at Comiskey this year. Since it was a day game, they set off the REALLY loud fireworks that don't have much color but are just there for the noise. Watching the Flub fans recoil in horror at the noise and then trying to play it off like they weren't scared was priceless! Seriously, watch for this and you guys will get a kick out of it! lol

DumpJerry
11-04-2005, 07:05 AM
If your suspicious of someone, watch them after Thunderstruck starts playing(assuming they keep this next year) and Gene starts announcing the Sox and their positions, they (BW's) WILL NOT expect the fireworks!!!!

I saw this happen a few times during this past season, it was hilarious! lol! They would be standing watching and all of a sudden the fireworks would explode and they would jump back or shake, completely startled! The best was the first game against the Flubs at Comiskey this year. Since it was a day game, they set off the REALLY loud fireworks that don't have much color but are just there for the noise. Watching the Flub fans recoil in horror at the noise and then trying to play it off like they weren't scared was priceless! Seriously, watch for this and you guys will get a kick out of it! lol
Those were the gunshots that regularly occur at the park.

harwar
11-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Ask if they threw in the towel when we were losing one game after another,when the whole world was talking "choke".
I was taking some heat for wearing my White Sox stuff then,but i defiantly wore it everywhere i went.
I heard a lot of fans giving up then,both here and other places.
There were a select few,of whom i am one,who never gave up and tried to remain positive through the bad as well as the good.
When you are totally outnumbered and the situtation is bleak,that is when you find out who the real diehards are.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Just ask about Claudell Washington. A Sox fan will grimace in embarrassment.

antitwins13
11-04-2005, 10:41 AM
rumor has it a certain formely homeless Cubs fan is wearing SOX World Champion stuff

WOO

http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/images/trip3.jpg

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag.>

zach23
11-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Just ask about Claudell Washington. A Sox fan will grimace in embarrassment.

Ask them why the fans in LF at the old park had a sign that said, "Washington slept here."

VenturaSoxFan23
11-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Exactly my point. :D:

DumpJerry
11-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Ask them where should the batter send if flyin'.

Black Sox
11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Simple Knowledge of basic history is the true test. If they can tell you about what a "Fosh" ball is and who the "Deacon" was then chances are they are Sox fans. More importantly, it shows they've put in some time as a fan.

I have seen several bandwagon people. It doesn't really bother me though cause I know what this World Series meant to me and its a lot more than what it meant to them.

I do happen to follow the Cubs though. I don't necessarily root for them but I don't root against them either, except when playing the Sox. I enjoy having two teams to follow since I love baseball so much. But I also understand the animosity between both fanbases. But what I wanted to mention was how I know when a Cub fan has claimed himself/herself as a "chicago fan." Its when I as a Sox fan know more about their team(the Cubs) than they do. I'm not sure how many Sox fans like me follow the Cubs but I've run into a lot of so called "Cubs fans" that don't know all that much about the game or their team. So it sort of makes sense that we had such a big turn out for the parade. Its because many of the Cubs fans weren't closely aligned with their team which made it easy to turncoats. Its all about the baseball knowledge. If they know the '89 Cubs team like the back of their hand than they are more than likely a die-hard Cub fan and would never change allegiances. Its just these people in the middle that either have recently become baseball fans or haven't pledged their life to following one team that are jumping on board.

credefan24
11-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Just thought of this one:

Ask them who the "Little Hurt" is.

SOXPHILE
11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Simple Knowledge of basic history is the true test. If they can tell you about what a "Fosh" ball is and who the "Deacon" was then chances are they are Sox fans. More importantly, it shows they've put in some time as a fan.

I have seen several bandwagon people. It doesn't really bother me though cause I know what this World Series meant to me and its a lot more than what it meant to them.

I do happen to follow the Cubs though. I don't necessarily root for them but I don't root against them either, except when playing the Sox. I enjoy having two teams to follow since I love baseball so much. But I also understand the animosity between both fanbases. But what I wanted to mention was how I know when a Cub fan has claimed himself/herself as a "chicago fan." Its when I as a Sox fan know more about their team(the Cubs) than they do. I'm not sure how many Sox fans like me follow the Cubs but I've run into a lot of so called "Cubs fans" that don't know all that much about the game or their team. So it sort of makes sense that we had such a big turn out for the parade. Its because many of the Cubs fans weren't closely aligned with their team which made it easy to turncoats. Its all about the baseball knowledge. If they know the '89 Cubs team like the back of their hand than they are more than likely a die-hard Cub fan and would never change allegiances. Its just these people in the middle that either have recently become baseball fans or haven't pledged their life to following one team that are jumping on board.

Most Sox fans do know more about the Cubs than all those supposed "Cub Fans" do. That makes sense though, because we know more about baseball anyway. In my experience, even those who actually do follow the Cubs, and even know a thing or two about baseball, still don't know too much about their favorite team. They can name a bunch of guys from the '84, & '89 Cubs, and even might know of or remember a few players from those great teams of the '70's. But other than Ernie Banks, ask one of them if they can name any pre-1969 Cubs. (You know, that 1969 team that won it all for Chicago ). They'll know the required Santo, Williams, and maybe, MAYBE, a Kessinger or a Hundley. That's about it. Further proof that we are dealing with the DUMBEST fanbase, of the losingest franchise, in all of professional sports.

ClaudelSleptHere
11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Ask them why the fans in LF at the old park had a sign that said, "Washington slept here."

Actually, that banner was in right field.

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Ask them about the illustrious careers of Shawn Abner,Bob Zupzic,
Lyle Mouton and,of course,Ramon Garcia and Carlos Martinez.

Ask the BWJ's who "Harry" worked for before he went to
"the dark (north) side".

Ask them if they knew where they could catch a Sox game
on television before cable.

Ask them if they remember "The Hawk Wants You".

I could go on and on and on,but time and space don't permit it.

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Just thought of this one:

Ask them who the "Little Hurt" is.

Also: who was "Mickey"?? He earned the nickname
because he looked like Mickey O' Rorke??
(Answer:the immortal Shawn Abner.He only lasted the '92 season,
but I loved to hear Hawk call him "Mickey").:D: :D:

C-Dawg
11-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Gotta love the "E" hat. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when and if mine deteriorates into threads; I sure don't want to be seen wearing a "new" one LOL!

I oughta post a pic of it since its really sweat stained and faded to a pale pinkish-blue. Its awesome!

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Rollin!

BTW I had a dude behind me for WS Game 1 who yelled "Candy Corn!" for every pop up. :?: A BWJ but he was trying so hard!

Hi-larious

zach23
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Ooops. :redface: Guess I am a bandwagon jumper.
Could I make up for it by mentioning the popcorn boxes that used to double as megaphones back in the 70's.

MarySwiss
11-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Ooops. :redface: Guess I am a bandwagon jumper.
Could I make up for it by mentioning the popcorn boxes that used to double as megaphones back in the 70's.

OMIGOD! I forgot about those! They were great! :D:

slavko
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks, that had me worried.

rmusacch
11-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I hopped on the el a couple of weeks ago wearing a Sox jacket with the World Series logo on it and some dude bumped his buddy and said something along the lines of "I hate all these brand new fly by night Sox fans who are wearing brand new stuff." I looked at him and said "Of course it's brande new ******bag, it says World Seires on it, when else would I have gotten it?" Then I took off my smelly Einhorn E hat and held it to his nose and told him that's three summers worth of sweat at Comiskey...then I walked away.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an Einhorn E hat? :dunno:

Chips
11-04-2005, 09:27 PM

BANDWAGONER

dcb33
11-04-2005, 11:01 PM

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/87Script.jpg

Make that 5 of us! I've always loved that style for nostalgic reasons as it was the hat the team was wearing when I first became a fan. My first Sox cap was an Einhorn E cap which I bought when I was 9 during the 7th inning stretch of a game at the Cove. Sadly, it was lost a couple years ago and although I have since bought a new one to replace it, it still eats away at me that I misplaced the first Sox hat I ever owned.

I agree, the Einhorn E cap is a WONDERFUL way to detect BWJ. I've actually had people walk up to me at the Cell and elsewhere in full-blown Sox gear and ask "Why are you wearing a Cubs hat?" or scream "Cubs suck!" D'OH!

Speaking of Coveleski, here's good question to ask fellow fans that will seperate the die-hards from BWJ (especially for those in Michiana and NW Indiana):

Which season was the Silverhawks last as a minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox?

chisoxfanatic
11-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Ask them what Noberto Martin's nickname was.

Ask them what position Larry Thomas played.

Ask them who is the only Sox player to hit a home run in his first at bat (this is actually a trick question, as there actually are two...haha...but only a TRUE Sox fan would know that).

Ask them who Poppy Hidalgo was.

Ask them who is the only Sox player to hit grand slams in back-to-back innings, in what year was this accomplished, and against what opponent.

Coolpapa
11-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Does anyone remember the Black Crowes video with the guy wearing the 'E' hat? "Hard to Handle" maybe.

C-Dawg
11-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Just ask a simple question like "Who was the starting Second-Baseman - last year?". (Before Iguchi)

MrRoboto83
11-05-2005, 08:45 AM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/87Script.jpg

Make that 5 of us! I've always loved that style of hat for nostalgic reasons as it was the style of hat the team was wearing when I first became a fan. My first Sox cap was an Einhorn E cap which I bought when I was 9 during the 7th inning stretch of a game at the Cove. Sadly, it was lost a couple years ago and although I have since bought a new one to replace it, it still eats away at me that I misplaced the first Sox hat I ever owned.

I agree, the Einhorn E cap is a WONDERFUL way to detect BWJ. I've actually had people walk up to me at the Cell and elsewhere in full-blown Sox gear and ask "Why are you wearing a Cubs hat?" or scream "Cubs suck!" D'OH!

Speaking of Coveleski, here's good question to ask fellow fans that will seperate the die-hards from BWJ (especially for those in Michiana and NW Indiana):

Which season was the Silverhawks last as a minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox?

Just think the 20 year anniversery of the Einhorn Hat Uniform is coming up, pehaps a 2007 promotion.

I just bought a new einhorn hat this year from Grandstand, never had one before, I had someone ask me if it was a minor league hat!:o:

VenturaSoxFan23
11-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks, that had me worried.

I knew something didn't look right when he said LF.

Why is Carlos Lee in the White Sox record books?

C-Dawg
11-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Just think the 20 year anniversery of the Einhorn Hat Uniform is coming up, pehaps a 2007 promotion.

Mmmm, I believe I hear a Turn Back The Clock Day in the making!

:cool:

Dolly
11-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Ask them if they want to start the wave. Any enthusiasm in their response.... a dead giveaway.

SOXSINCE'70
11-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Ask them what Noberto Martin's nickname was.

Ask them what position Larry Thomas played.

Ask them who is the only Sox player to hit a home run in his first at bat (this is actually a trick question, as there actually are two...haha...but only a TRUE Sox fan would know that).

Ask them who Poppy Hidalgo was.

Ask them who is the only Sox player to hit grand slams in back-to-back innings, in what year was this accomplished, and against what opponent.

1.Norberto "Paco" Martin.Don't forget the immortal
Esteban "Steve" Beltre (Esteban is Steve in spanish,IIRC).
2.I truly don't remember,sorry.
3.Carlos Lee and Minnie Minoso.
4.Poppy Hidalgo was the bat boy in 2000.Some actually blamed the
Sox' downturn in 2001 on the fact that the club dismissed him after
the 2000 season.
5.Robin Ventura,1995,Rangers,Arlington Stadium.

TornLabrum
11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
1.Norberto "Paco" Martin.Don't forget the immortal
Esteban "Steve" Beltre (Esteban is Steve in spanish,IIRC).
2.I truly don't remember,sorry.
3.Carlos Lee and Minnie Minoso.
the 2000 season.
5.Robin Ventura,1995,Rangers,Arlington Stadium.

You're forgiven. He was the pitcher who beat the Cubs in the Crosstown Classic sometime in the early '90s. So maybe the bandwagoners would remember him...if they weren't too drunk at the time.

Hendu
11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
While I always think it's fun to ask people who "One Dog" and "the Deacon" were, I don't think you even have to go that far back to expose bandwagon jumpers. If they can't answer these questions, then they have NO business even pretending they're Sox fans:

Ask them who did the best job filling in for Hawk when he had his operation. Which loss in September was the toughest to stomach? Name one of our #5 starters from last year.

These are softball questions that even a casual Sox fan should be able to answer without thinking.

chisoxfanatic
11-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Why is Carlos Lee in the White Sox record books?

He's the only Sox player to hit a home run in his first major league plate apperance.

Realist
11-05-2005, 08:22 PM
the 2000 season.

Ah yes. "The Curse of the Poppy". It didn't really have the staying power of that goat now, did it? :smile:

pmck003
11-06-2005, 03:22 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I ask a potential BW'er to name their first Sox game. I would bet there is a handful (handful = small) lof die-hard cub fans that could tell me the White Sox history better than I could tell them, but I was and am a Sox fan because of the memories I had first going there (and being in the right place for an Ivan Calduron foul ball) and most importantly my family. I'm glad there is a web site like this for those who may not have the family I was lucky to have, cause sharing a championship like this is about connecting with friends and loved-ones, not having to come up with excuses or combacks to the jealous idiots.

DSpivack
11-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Ask them if they want to start the wave. Any enthusiasm in their response.... a dead giveaway.

I'd have a very enthusiastic response... full of various 4-letter words on how we don't do that in Chicago.

The wave looked cool once... I remember seeing highlights of it going a different direction in the upper deck than in the lower [can't remember the stadium, but it obviously had a wrap-around deck].

ajtokarz
11-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Want to make them feel really stupid? And at the same time amuse yourself?

Simple question that they won't be able to answer.

Give me the White Sox starting lineup for Game 4 of the 2005 World Series.

Wsoxmike59
11-06-2005, 09:45 AM
And identifying it as an Einhorn E can be a litmus test for a bandwagoner.

All these years I referred to that cap as the Campbell's Soup "C".

P.S. Which I dutifully wore all throughout the 1987-90 seasons at old Comiskey, and upon the final out of the final game EVER at old Comiskey, I threw my hat out on to the field a la the old tyme tradtion at sporting events....

http://info.detnews.com/dn/history/cobb/images/7.jpg

It was traditional on Labor Day for gentlemen in the stands to toss their straw hats onto the field to mark the end of the summer and the baseball season.

Wsoxmike59
11-06-2005, 09:56 AM

Funny story about that hat. A woman I know went to Spring Training back in 1997 when the Sox signed Albert Belle to a contract.

Belle was notorious for NOT signing anything with a Cleveland Indians logo on it. She and her daughter approached Belle for an autograph before the game, and the woman's daughter was wearing the Campbell's Soup "C" or Einhorn "E" cap.

Albert shot her a dirty look as if she were wearing an Indians hat, and said I won't sign that hat, and she had to explain to him THAT IT WAS A WHITE SOX HAT FROM THE LATE 80's!!!!!

VenturaSoxFan23
11-06-2005, 10:19 AM
He's the only Sox player to hit a home run in his first major league plate apperance.

Carlos Lee holds the Sox consecutive games hitting mark, set last year. That's what I was referring to.

BTW, Arnie Munoz was a #5 starter who got shelled against the Expos last year. Hawk & DJ had a throwdown in the booth over whether Ozzie was leaving him in too long. I had to turn the channel, it started getting out of hand. I was waiting for Hawk to throw a punch. I know the delay button was hit a few times.

santo=dorf
11-09-2005, 12:17 AM
You forgot about Johnny Bench Jr.

:olivo