PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Ozzie!!!!

chisoxfan83
11-03-2005, 02:42 AM
On officially beginning your 3rd year on the job! I remember the date (11/3/03) he was hired since it falls on my bday will never forget that :smile: Keep up the stellar work you have made us all happy :bandance:

sox1970
11-03-2005, 06:30 AM
On officially beginning your 3rd year on the job! I remember the date (11/3/03) he was hired since it falls on my bday will never forget that :smile: Keep up the stellar work you have made us all happy :bandance:
Clever way to get birthday greetings. Ok fine--Happy Birthday.

ChiSoxGirl
11-03-2005, 08:15 AM

I remember the date, too, and I also remember streaming the press conference online at my job at the time. I was beyond furious with Williams' decision to go with the inexperienced Guillen. All I kept saying to people was, "he might as well hire me. Guillen has as much managerial experience as I do!"

Ok, so almost two years later to the date, Guillen & Williams proved me wrong by winning the WORLD SERIES! I've never been happier to have been wrong and it just shows you that anything can happen in baseball when a manager is given the right team.:moonwalk:

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I remember saying to my co-workers that this reminds me of the Bears hiring Ditka. It may be a bonanza or it may be a disaster, but it will nonetheless be very entertaining. It turned out to be an entertaining bonanza.

veeter
11-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Here's to two excellent years!!

Hitmen77
11-03-2005, 09:02 AM
I remember the date, too, and I also remember streaming the press conference online at my job at the time. I was beyond furious with Williams' decision to go with the inexperienced Guillen. All I kept saying to people was, "he might as well hire me. Guillen has as much managerial experience as I do!"

Ok, so almost two years later to the date, Guillen & Williams proved me wrong by winning the WORLD SERIES! I've never been happier to have been wrong and it just shows you that anything can happen in baseball when a manager is given the right team.:moonwalk:

Yes, I also at the time thought it was a terrible move and that the Sox were hiring Ozzie because he was a fan favorite who would generate some more ticket sales. I couldn't be happier that I was wrong:D:

SOXPHILE
11-03-2005, 09:39 AM
I remember it as if it was yesterday. At the time, I thought it was a pretty low point as far as being a Sox fan went. Everything was Cubs Cubs Cubs, they had just came within 5 outs of the World Series, and, even though they choked, they were still being touted as a sure thing to get back to the post-season, and the World Series. The Sox seemed to be in disaray, with little or no hope. Then, they announce Guillen as the manager, and I'm thinking "WHAT ??!! Are you kidding me ? This is going to be a disaster." 2 years later, I'm happily eating my crow. No seasoning or hot sauce needed to make it go down easier. I'm eating my crow raw, with the feathers still attached, and loving every minute of it. I couldn't have been more wrong. A White Sox World Championship makes everything better !!

asindc
11-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm somewhat surprised that so many thought Ozzie was wrong for the job. I was thrilled when I heard the announcement. I knew he was being groomed in Fla. for a managerial position, and he came highly recommended by all the managers he has played for. His enthusiasm for Sox baseball alone made him a huge upgrade over the previous 3 managers. I didn't expect such great results so soon, but I felt he would have the Sox in the playoffs within 2 years. Count me as one of the early believers.

IotaNet
11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that so many thought Ozzie was wrong for the job. I was thrilled when I heard the announcement. I knew he was being groomed in Fla. for a managerial position, and he came highly recommended by all the managers he has played for. His enthusiasm for Sox baseball alone made him a huge upgrade over the previous 3 managers. I didn't expect such great results so soon, but I felt he would have the Sox in the playoffs within 2 years. Count me as one of the early believers.

Me too.

I remember when Ozzie was a brand new member of the team. Scrappy -- feisty -- yapped a mile a minute -- played his fanny off every single day. But he was always a professional and he always left it all on the field.

When he was named manager, I had a feeling that he would instill that same scrappiness into the team. Like others who have posted, I was pretty sure it would be "entertaining" but did you notice that KW expected some of this had his back from moment one?

FWIW - I also think that Ozzie is a better baseball manager than Ditka was a football coach.

Bottom line: Iliked the move then and I love it now!

Chisox003
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
-I disliked when KW hired Guillen -- I couldn't have been more wrong.

-I hated when KW traded Kip Wells and Josh Fogg -- Completely meaningless, wrong again.

-I hated when KW traded Caballo for Pods/Viz -- He turned it into AJ, Gooch, and Duque (Plus Pods and Viz). Wrong again!

-I was skeptical when KW traded Olivo and Reed for Freddy. VERY Wrong again!

Needless to say, I'm never questioning another move this guy makes. Congrats Ozzie, let's do it again!

GoSox2K3
11-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I remember it as if it was yesterday. At the time, I thought it was a pretty low point as far as being a Sox fan went. Everything was Cubs Cubs Cubs, they had just came within 5 outs of the World Series, and, even though they choked, they were still being touted as a sure thing to get back to the post-season, and the World Series. The Sox seemed to be in disaray, with little or no hope. Then, they announce Guillen as the manager, and I'm thinking "WHAT ??!! Are you kidding me ? This is going to be a disaster." 2 years later, I'm happily eating my crow. No seasoning or hot sauce needed to make it go down easier. I'm eating my crow raw, with the feathers still attached, and loving every minute of it. I couldn't have been more wrong. A White Sox World Championship makes everything better !!

Yes, that really was a pretty low point for being a Sox fan. The absolute lowest point was when the Cubs were up 3 games to 1 against Fla., but even at the time of Ozzie's hiring the Sox were really being buried by Cubs-love in this town. Wow, amazing how things have turned around in 2 short years.

RallyBowl
11-03-2005, 06:58 PM
-I disliked when KW hired Guillen -- I couldn't have been more wrong.

-I hated when KW traded Kip Wells and Josh Fogg -- Completely meaningless, wrong again.

-I hated when KW traded Caballo for Pods/Viz -- He turned it into AJ, Gooch, and Duque (Plus Pods and Viz). Wrong again!

-I was skeptical when KW traded Olivo and Reed for Freddy. VERY Wrong again!

Needless to say, I'm never questioning another move this guy makes. Congrats Ozzie, let's do it again!

Or- maybe it's your questioning of the moves that turns them into gold!:unsure:

Anyways, yeah, I remember the day Ozzie was hired too.
I still long for Cito Gaston.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-03-2005, 07:02 PM

i saved the article from the trib announcing his hirement. i never doubted that ozzie was the man for the job

VeeckAsInWreck
11-04-2005, 02:31 AM
I still long for Cito Gaston.

Ha! That's funny, I was one of the many Cito Gaston supporters, but that is why Kenny Williams is the GM and not me.

Congrats Ozzie! Soon enough you will get your manager of the year award.