PDA

View Full Version : Some 2005 Pre-Season Predictions...

Sarah
11-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Ah...with a week of World Series glory behind the White Sox, is it an appropriate time to look at those pre-2005 predictions that so happily did not come true? I think so...

Let's start with Peter Gammons, he who so happily jumped on the White Sox bandwagon during the post-season...where did he pick the Sox to finish in the AL Central prior to the season beginning?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2028294
(Scroll to the bottom)

That's right, boys and girls, 4th place.

Any other fine pre-2005 predictions to share?

By the way, this thread was inspired by two of my friends here at law school, who, as Cleveland natives, were oh-so-happy to point out that the Indians were ranked number one in ESPN's 2006 baseball power rankings today. And I was oh-so-happy to point out that pre-season predictions mean squat (and this was my example for them).

-Sarah-

Hawk Harrelson
11-03-2005, 01:14 AM
THe fact that he predicts Nomar as the NL MVP makes this article lose all of it's credibility. Not that Gammons really had any in the first place.

DSpivack
11-03-2005, 02:31 AM
By the way, this thread was inspired by two of my friends here at law school, who, as Cleveland natives, were oh-so-happy to point out that the Indians were ranked number one in ESPN's 2006 baseball power rankings today. And I was oh-so-happy to point out that pre-season predictions mean squat (and this was my example for them).

-Sarah-

Just remind 'em who won the series and who choked away the playoffs the final fortnight of this fantastic of years.

asindc
11-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Ah...with a week of World Series glory behind the White Sox, is it an appropriate time to look at those pre-2005 predictions that so happily did not come true? I think so...

Let's start with Peter Gammons, he who so happily jumped on the White Sox bandwagon during the post-season...where did he pick the Sox to finish in the AL Central prior to the season beginning?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2028294
(Scroll to the bottom)

That's right, boys and girls, 4th place.

Any other fine pre-2005 predictions to share?

-Sarah-

While I think most of the criticisms of Gammons are justified, let's give credit where credit is due: Once he saw how good the Sox are, he was the lone guy on ESPN to trust his own eyes and tell it as he saw it. He was the only guy, after all, to choose us as the favorite in each playoff series, and he said the Sox proved that they are one of the best teams of the last 25 years.

I'll keep saying this as long as it's relevant: Winning cures all. If the Sox go on a run like the Yanks did in the late 90s, or something close to it, then we won't have to concern ourselves with what Brantley or Reynolds or anyone else speculates... the results will speak for themselves.

samram
11-03-2005, 09:11 AM

-Sarah-

They're not even preseason predictions. They're pre-off season predictions, based purely on speculation and conjecture. Well, now that I think of it, that's really no different from any prediction made by ESPN "experts." Remember, this was supposed to be the year of Twins v. Cubs.