PDA

View Full Version : where do the champs have to improve at?

richb2
11-02-2005, 11:29 PM
baseball does not stop for any team-even the 2005 white sox lol. where does this team have to improve at for next year for every team will be hyped up to play them and make a run at them. To be honest I am not sure yet, been thinking about it but have reached no conclusions. I just worry about health and chemistry. . I would not mind seeing the bench even get stronger and maybe middle relief? I might chance my mind after seeing some feedback. I love 2005 white sox ,they made my life complete but next year will be a test among test go white sox

SoxFan76
11-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Stronger bench.....another shutdown lefty would be nice. Otherwise you need to find a damn good player to replace one of the 8 position players (assuming Frank and Konerko come back) or one of the starters.

antitwins13
11-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Another relief pitcher would be nice. Dustin Hermanson and "The Viz Kid" are very suspect. Don't be surprised if K-Dub tries to sure the pen up in the off-season.

nodiggity59
11-03-2005, 12:15 AM
It's a weird situation b/c KW seems to be a real loyalty first guy like JR. He speaks about how good of men each of our players are, etc. I wonder if he'll have the stones to move a cornerstone player to help the team this year like he did with CLee last year. We'll see.

getonbckthr
11-03-2005, 12:31 AM
DH, left handed bullpen. marte isn't reliable and cotts can't do it himself.

doublem23
11-03-2005, 12:53 AM
I personally wouldn't mind one more arm for the potential starting rotation. I know everyone here is ga-ga goo-goo over Brandon McCarthy, but please forgive me for not having complete faith in a guy who's only had 1-2 months of solid MLB experience (his time with the team before September/October were awful), and I don't trust El Duque to hold up for an entire season anymore. If Brandon stinks and El Duque is on the shelf, say hello to our #5 starter, Kevin Walker!

antitwins13
11-03-2005, 12:55 AM
I personally wouldn't mind one more arm for the potential starting rotation. I know everyone here is ga-ga goo-goo over Brandon McCarthy, but please forgive me for not having complete faith in a guy who's only had 1-2 months of solid MLB experience (his time with the team before September/October were awful), and I don't trust El Duque to hold up for an entire season anymore. If Brandon stinks and El Duque is on the shelf, say hello to our #5 starter, Kevin Walker!

You make a very good point, but I wouldn't be willing to pick up a bona-fide fifth starter at the expense of not re-signing Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko. Fact of the matter is B-Mac only has to be mediocre because we all know that Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, and Contreras are going to be good.

doublem23
11-03-2005, 01:00 AM
You make a very good point, but I wouldn't be willing to pick up a bona-fide fifth starter at the expense of not re-signing Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko. Fact of the matter is B-Mac only has to be mediocre because we all know that Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, and Contreras are going to be good.

I agree not a bona fide 5th starter, but since the Todd Ritchie fiasco, Kenny's been able to pick out pitchers that have turned to gold; namely Esteban Loaiza and Jose Contreras. Loaiza was signed for nothing and then Contreras was acquired for basically nothing. I personally have no reason to question his judgment at this point. I'm sure he can find another potentially solid starter at the bottom of the barrel. I'm not even asking form someone who's going to win 15-20 games or whatnot, just a guy who will keep the team in the game and give the "O" the chance to win.

I'd love nothing more than for Brandon to have a Rookie of the Year caliber season or Orlando to pitch lights out wire to wire, but at worst, having a failed back-up plan is better than not having one at all.

DSpivack
11-03-2005, 02:28 AM
I agree not a bona fide 5th starter, but since the Todd Ritchie fiasco, Kenny's been able to pick out pitchers that have turned to gold; namely Esteban Loaiza and Jose Contreras. Loaiza was signed for nothing and then Contreras was acquired for basically nothing. I personally have no reason to question his judgment at this point. I'm sure he can find another potentially solid starter at the bottom of the barrel. I'm not even asking form someone who's going to win 15-20 games or whatnot, just a guy who will keep the team in the game and give the "O" the chance to win.

I'd love nothing more than for Brandon to have a Rookie of the Year caliber season or Orlando to pitch lights out wire to wire, but at worst, having a failed back-up plan is better than not having one at all.

Yeah, and if Brandon works out, which I don't doubt he does, just having a long reliever/extra starter wouldn't be bad. Then we wouldn't have to worry about El Duque being stretched out, or if he can go 4 or 5 innings, or whatever.

Then again, I can't really think of any guys that would fit that category. I'm imagining a role like Sean Lowe played in 2000.

Banix12
11-03-2005, 02:46 AM
stronger bench and they need a bonafide #3 hitter, that's pretty much it.

GoSoxGo
11-03-2005, 07:50 AM
If we need a stronger bench, can we get Tony Graffanino back or does he no longer fit into the mix? Here's hoping!:smile:

SoxFan76
11-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Another relief pitcher would be nice. Dustin Hermanson and "The Viz Kid" are very suspect. Don't be surprised if K-Dub tries to sure the pen up in the off-season.

What's wrong with Vizcaino? I believe he had a sub-3 ERA in the 2nd half. What does everyone have against this guy?

Jjav829
11-03-2005, 08:56 AM
If we need a stronger bench, can we get Tony Graffanino back or does he no longer fit into the mix? Here's hoping!:smile:

Maybe we can trade for Graffanino to help us out...and then trade him to the Indians/Twins. :wink:

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2005, 08:57 AM

He'll get a two year deal with the assurance of starting next year for the Red Sox.

Deuce
11-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Unless the Sox resign Frank, they need to build on the #3 spot. And even if they keep Frank, it would be good to have a fall back plan in case Frank's foot gives out again.

Deuce

Norberto7
11-03-2005, 09:33 AM

So you want a back-up for a back-up for a fifth starter? I agree that it would be nice, but would that be the best way to spend money? Most teams don't have four or five viable starters, let alone seven. Assuming McCarthy or Hernandez are in the bullpen for long relief, wouldn't this just be another long reliever?

If you can find a guy who can play a useful role while still being able to fill the backup to the backup to the fifth starter role if necessary, then sure. Otherwise, a solid, shorter innings left hander in the pen might be better.

Stoky44
11-03-2005, 09:45 AM
1. left handed power hitter
2. Keep the same type of bench players: (contact hitters, fast, play many positions)
3. STAY HEALTHY (Dye, pitching staff)
4. DH (maybe The Big hurt, but who is to say he will be healthy all year, or healthy enough to return before June. I love the big man but we can't assume he is going to have great year. Even if we sign him, I think we shoulde assume he will be hurt or not start the year in the lineup. Remember all the concern with CC or Big Frank. we saw how that worked out. I would hate to be caught with our pants down next year because we assumed Thomas was going to be healthy enough to be our #3 hitter. Lets not turn our DH/#3 hitter into the Bears QB situation).

santo=dorf
11-03-2005, 09:50 AM
What's wrong with Vizcaino? I believe he had a sub-3 ERA in the 2nd half. What does everyone have against this guy?
They just can't get over that outing where he was the sacrificial lambdue to Shingo giving up 3 homers, and Ozzie doing his best impression of LaRussa or the outing where Ozzie pulled McCarthy too early and Viz gave up a 3-run homer to Jason Dubois.

fox2
11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I'd like to see a left-handed bat, especially if Carl doesn't come back for less money.

WikdChiSoxFan
11-03-2005, 01:04 PM
If it ain't broke,....get another lefty in the pen and maybe add another consistant bat...

SOXit2EM
11-03-2005, 01:40 PM
A LH power hitting DH not named Everett would be top priority for me........ After signing Konerko of course. Besides that i think were pretty set, but i also wouldn't mind seeing a more productive hitting CF, and hopefully Rowand makes the necessary adjustments next year to get back to his 2004 form. :cool:

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Our "defending 15 game leads" strategy needs a little work.

soxfanreggie
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I think the reason Viz had a better 2nd half is that he pitched in mop up situations. Opponents did bat .275 against him. He pitched one inning in all of the playoffs (thanks to our great starters) when he absolutely had to. He only pitched an average of about 10 innings per month after the all start break.

I think we will see a lot more of Cotts. He had a sub 2 ERA...4-0 record...pitched a great postseason...and surprisingly pitched less than Viz...although he really picked up his pitching duties in the 2nd half. I think he will become a very dominant reliever, eventhough he doesn't have the best pitch variety, he is good at what he does. I cannot wait to see ISU retire his jersey, I hope I'm still here for that.

IotaNet
11-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Unless the Sox resign Frank, they need to build on the #3 spot. And even if they keep Frank, it would be good to have a fall back plan in case Frank's foot gives out again.

I agree. As much as I love our WORLD SERIES WINNING lineup (Doesn't it feel good to say that? :smile: ), I don't know if we have anyone in in the order that literally "Scares the living BeJeezus" out of opposing pitching.

Don't get me wrong - I fully embrace "grinder-ball" and I don't mean to sell anyone short but a BIG BAT (preferably left-handed) is never a bad thing to have in the lineup.

santo=dorf
11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Our "defending 15 game leads" strategy needs a little work.
Could we please have a 9+ game winning streak too? I'm was so sick of all those 8 game win streaks during the 2005 season.

Stoky44
11-03-2005, 03:58 PM
A Long Term Contract For PK!!!

Sign Him, Please!!!!!!!!!!

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
And this b.s. of actually losing a post season game....need to clean that up in 2006.

RallyBowl
11-03-2005, 06:37 PM
I think the biggest improvement needed centers around the chick-scoping bench. I say raise it higher- No, take it out completely and install chairs with high backs that rotate 360 degrees. We wouldn't want to try to defend our Championship with sore necks, would we? Also, we need more churros stands. we must raise our CPCA (Churros per capita average).

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-03-2005, 07:55 PM
A reliable lefty for the pen and a lefty power hitter

BainesHOF
11-04-2005, 12:45 AM
I think it's obvious the biggest improvement we can make is center fielder. Perhaps Rowand can still be the solution, but he absolutely must improve his offense, which failed in the power and average department this year. He can track down balls, at least most of the time, but his arm isn't very good. I think he's going to have to compete with Anderson in spring training to win the job.

IlliniSox4Life
11-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I would like to see another base stealing threat. I don't really have any suggestions as to where it would come from, but when Pods got injured we started falling apart. Luckily we pulled it back together, but it would be nice to have another guy in the lineup everyday thats a threat too. Not necesarily a 70 base stealer, but maybe 30-40. I know we got guys like Rowand, Willie, and Ozuna who can steal too, but Rowand doesn't disrupt the pitchers like Pods did, and Ozuna and Willie don't either and aren't every day.

That could come in the form of taking a guy like Rowand and working with him to see if he can become a better base stealer, but either way, we had almost none the second half of the season, and thats when we stumbled a bit.

Also, I know how well Iguchi worked for us in the 2 spot, but if you can get another fundamentally sound guy who can move Pods over, you could move Iguchi to the 3 or 5 hole where he can use a little more power.

Banix12
11-04-2005, 02:02 AM
I would like to see another base stealing threat. I don't really have any suggestions as to where it would come from, but when Pods got injured we started falling apart. Luckily we pulled it back together, but it would be nice to have another guy in the lineup everyday thats a threat too. Not necesarily a 70 base stealer, but maybe 30-40. I know we got guys like Rowand, Willie, and Ozuna who can steal too, but Rowand doesn't disrupt the pitchers like Pods did, and Ozuna and Willie don't either and aren't every day.

That could come in the form of taking a guy like Rowand and working with him to see if he can become a better base stealer, but either way, we had almost none the second half of the season, and thats when we stumbled a bit.

Also, I know how well Iguchi worked for us in the 2 spot, but if you can get another fundamentally sound guy who can move Pods over, you could move Iguchi to the 3 or 5 hole where he can use a little more power.

I don't know where he is going to be in development by the end of the season but Jerry Owens is in the minors and has the speed you are talking about. He's probably still a year away at best but maybe late in the season if they need a base stealer and he had a good season he could come up. One of the minor league experts could probably say more, but that's my take.

Speed guys who can actually steal bases seem to be the rarest commodity in baseball right now.