PDA

View Full Version : Old Sox vs. Cub SS arguments

Hitmen77
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
In recent weeks, I have read a few old timers (sorry guys!) on this site and maybe in newspaper articles refer to Cub and Sox fans arguing over who was the better shortstop - Aparicio or Banks.

Well, that got me thinking of a similar argument I had with Cub fans a generation later: Who was the better shortstop - Ozzie Guillen or Shawon Dunston? IIRC, they were both rookies the same year. They held the starting SS job on their respective sides of town for years. My Cub fan friends had no respect for Guillen and thought there was no question that Dunston was better. Dunston got alot more attention of course - can anyone forget the dreaded "Shawon-O-Meter"?

Now that Ozzie has gone down in history as managing the Sox to a World Championship, I was just thinking of that old SS rivalry. Is anyone on the North Side still fondly remembering that "Shawon Dunston" style of baseball? Are they saying that they need more grinders like Dunston on their team? Maybe they can hire good old Shawon to be their next manager? LOL.

Oh well, I'm not sure what my point is, but I just wanted to mention it on What's the Score because who would have thought 20 years ago that we'd be sitting here now with Ozzie still the heart of the Sox - and the Sox being WORLD CHAMPS. :gulp:

antitwins13
11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I can end the debate right now. The best shortstop was Mike Caruso.

maurice
11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
The correct answer is Guillen and Aparicio. SS primarily is a defensive position, and the Sox players were > the Cubs players. Dunston was a butcher in the field, and Banks was converted to 1B at the ripe old age of 30.

Banks and Dunston were more talented players overall, though Dunston never made much use of his great talent and finished his career with an Ozzie-esque sub-.300 OBP. He was the Corey Patterson of his day.

Soxfanspcu11
11-02-2005, 10:50 PM
who would have thought 20 years ago that we'd be sitting here now with Ozzie still the heart of the Sox - and the Sox being WORLD CHAMPS. :gulp:

I'm only 22 years old, but I TOTALLY called this when I was 2!:D:

SoxSpeed22
11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm only 22 years old, but I TOTALLY called this when I was 2!:D: I called it as an infant!:redneck

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Harry Chappas.

End of discussion.

veeter
11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Harry Chappas.

End of discussion. magnifique'

SoxFan76
11-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Banks and Aparicio were 2 completely different players. Banks was the better power hitter, obviously. But Aparicio was faster and played great defense (so I'm told, I'm only 19). Aparicio bats in the top of the order, and Banks bats in the middle. It's like comparing Podsednik to Carlos Lee.

fquaye149
11-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Banks and Aparicio were 2 completely different players. Banks was the better power hitter, obviously. But Aparicio was faster and played great defense (so I'm told, I'm only 19). Aparicio bats in the top of the order, and Banks bats in the middle. It's like comparing Podsednik to Carlos Lee.

Of COURSE You can Compare Carlos
LEE and Podsednik. Obviously
ONE is much Better BECAUSE
he Costs more Money and Uncle Jerry was JUST
too cheap To Keep HIM

LongLiveFisk
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Wow...Guillen vs Dunston...you just took me back to 1985 when I used to argue with my brother's Cub fan friend. This guy LOVED Dunston and ranted about what a great arm he had. And I'd say little good it does when he fires the ball into the stands behind the first base dugout.

Of course, this same dope also thought Jody Davis was better than Carlton Fisk so that should give you some idea of what caliber idiot we're talking about.

Jerko
11-03-2005, 11:18 AM
How can any team that had Ivan DeJesus not win the shortstop competition?

TDog
11-03-2005, 11:49 AM
...Guillen vs Dunston...you just took me back to 1985 ...

The debate was going on in the Chicago papers before they got to the majors because both highly anticipated and projected as the future of the teams. The concensus was that Guillen would be better at the outset but Dunston would become a star. Dunston had more tools. I don't know if he had more tools than Buddy Bradford, though.

Guillen did more (and continues to do more) for the Sox than Dunston did for the Cubs. There is no comparison, really. And while Banks did so much for the Cubs, he doesn't compare to Aparicio as a shortstop.

A Cubs fan told me in the 1980s that Banks was a good defensively as Aparicio, although he was too young to have ever seen Banks play shortstop. Banks won a Golden Glove in the 1950s, he pointed out. Aparcio won Gold Gloves in three decades. I think of Banks as a first baseman, the only position I ever saw him play. When the Cubs moved Banks from short in the 1960s, he didn't have the skills to play third, where most shortstops who are moved end up playing.

Banks played shortstop. Aparicio was a shortstop.

daveeym
11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Of COURSE You can Compare Carlos
LEE and Podsednik. Obviously
ONE is much Better BECAUSE
he Costs more Money and Uncle Jerry was JUST
too cheap To Keep HIM Hangar's post would have been longer. And without the Hangar jersey it loses a lil bit of sumpin.

fquaye149
11-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Hangar's post would have been longer. And without the Hangar jersey it loses a lil bit of sumpin.

I just don't have the attention span to talk like Hangar for that much time. I barely have the attention span to READ it:cool:

Tekijawa
11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Hangar's post would have been longer. And without the Hangar jersey it loses a lil bit of sumpin.

Where has he been lately? I'm guessing his family put him into a drug induced coma until things settle down a bit.

LuvSox
11-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Wow...Guillen vs Dunston...you just took me back to 1985 when I used to argue with my brother's Cub fan friend. This guy LOVED Dunston and ranted about what a great arm he had. And I'd say little good it does when he fires the ball into the stands behind the first base dugout.

Remember this one? Shawon Dunston is still maturing.

Those Wrigley fans used to say that every spring. Too funny.

TornLabrum
11-03-2005, 06:43 PM
In the Banks-Aparicio debate, Looie had the edge on defense, but Banks was a damn good defensive shortstop. Aparicio was a GREAT defensive shortstop. Banks was, by far, the better hitter.

This is coming from someone who saw them both play on a daily basis (at least on TV).

Hitmen77
11-03-2005, 10:45 PM

Of course, this same dope also thought Jody Davis was better than Carlton Fisk so that should give you some idea of what caliber idiot we're talking about.

Ha ha! I haven't heard the name Jody Davis in years! Yeah, I remember Cub fans going on about him as if he was better than Fisk. I'm waiting for the Jody Davis statue to be unveiled at the Urinal any year now!

Dickie Kerr
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Ha ha! I haven't heard the name Jody Davis in years! Yeah, I remember Cub fans going on about him as if he was better than Fisk. I'm waiting for the Jody Davis statue to be unveiled at the Urinal any year now You don't get a statue at the Urinal unless you're a broadcaster.

LuvSox
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
You don't get a statue at the Urinal unless you're a broadcaster.

ZING

Nellie_Fox
11-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Put Bee Bee Richard up against Don Kessinger, and now you've got yourself a matchup!:redneck

TomBradley72
11-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Put Bee Bee Richard up against Don Kessinger, and now you've got yourself a matchup!:redneck

Bee Bee Richard vs. Eddie Leon in the qualifying round to see who faces Kessinger. We should set up brackets.

slavko
11-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Louie:Great shortstop in all ways.

Ernie:Smooth, limited range, great hands, average or worse arm, unsuited to 3rd base because he couldn't make the quick reaction plays needed. Won 2 MVP's with a last place team. I'd forgotten that he won a Gold Glove.

Corlose 15
11-04-2005, 04:07 AM
Two words: Chris Snopek

VenturaSoxFan23
11-04-2005, 11:35 AM

Amazing how these cult favorites mature when they're booted out of town. Compare Dunston with Jose Valentin and it's no contest. Jose just booted the ball, but he'd hit a HR to make up for it.

Brian26
11-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I can end the debate right now. The best shortstop was Mike Caruso.

I have a feeling Esteban Beltre might have something to say about that. :D:

LongLiveFisk
11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Remember this one? Shawon Dunston is still maturing.

Those Wrigley fans used to say that every spring. Too funny.

Oh yeah. He should be ready any year now. :redneck