PDA

View Full Version : Kris Honel

minastirith67
11-02-2005, 08:43 PM
How did he do this past season? Will he be pitching for AAA next season? How were his mechanics and pitching performance? How would scouts rate him now after that injury? Thanks in advance to those who know.

maurice
11-02-2005, 10:37 PM
AA Stats: 5-7, 5.88 ERA, 93.3 IP, 101 H, 64 BB, 70 K, 10 HR, 8 HBP.

SoxFan76
11-03-2005, 12:55 AM
AA Stats: 5-7, 5.88 ERA, 93.3 IP, 101 H, 64 BB, 70 K, 10 HR, 8 HBP.

Ouch...

KRS1
11-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Those stats don't tell the whole whole story when ure talking about someone coming off a pretty serious injury. His first few starts were something gruesome but he did put on a good showing in his last few. In his first five decisions he basically was pitching a few innings and letting the bullpen try to eek one out. Then on his fifth loss of the season he came back and pitched a dandy, 6.2 with only 4 hits which equaled 3 runs. After that I remember his coaches talking about how he had gotten his fastball back and his knuckle-curve biting. This was the first documented time that I could find in which he had breached 90mph with his heater. His next start was a another 6 with 3 ER. His ERA prior to these two games was 6.64, and it kept declining steadily. He really only had a couple of bad starts after this point. However, his last start came with just 3 weeks left in the season where he pitched only 2 innings giving up 6 runs off 6 hits and a bomb. Well, take it how u may, but after all he went through, I think it's safe to say we haven't seen the last of Mr. Honel.

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Randar, What surgery did Honel have and is he still considered a propsect?

Randar68
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Randar, What surgery did Honel have and is he still considered a propsect?

He did not have surgery. His health is still an issue, but he flashed his old form a few times in the second half of the season. Wasn't as bad as his stats.

Not sure he'll ever be 100%. Tendonitis, other discomfort, nobody really knows.

soxfanreggie
11-03-2005, 10:44 AM
I thought he did have a surgery...oh well, hopefully he is returning to normal...he's from close to my hometown, and I have been following him since high school.

Randar68
11-03-2005, 10:58 AM
From August last year:

"It was described as something like a shin splint in his arm, and he never felt comfortable," said White Sox minor league pitching coordinator Kirk Champion of Honel's injury. "It was an odd situation. About mid-season he got himself healthy enough to get in games, but he never felt right mechanically.

"One of Kris' strengths is self-confidence on the mound. He doesn't overpower you with his fastball, but he has great poise and presence. He's trying to get that confidence back."

Honel's problem, according to Champion, seemed to come more from a mechanical change he made in his delivery than the injury itself. One theory is that as Honel moved closer to reaching the White Sox, working in the highly competitive Southern League, he came into Spring Training prepared to muscle up a little bit on his fastball in the low 90s. But extensive work with Birmingham pitching coach Juan Nieves during numerous side sessions has Honel back to old form and ready to resume pitching. Champion isn't worried about a brilliant performance from Honel. He just wants one of the team's top pitching prospects to get through the inning and then evaluate where he stands.

FutureSox guys did an interview with him this summer.

http://www.futuresox.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=172

kwolf68
11-25-2005, 01:44 PM
First time poster here and this is my first post, amazingly about errr...Kris Honel. I post at MLB.com, but so many flamers and idiots have kinda chased me away a bit.

I like Honel. Local kid who is trying to overcome huge odds. Call me crazy, but I still have hope for the young man and am rooting for him every step of the way. I do worry about him in AAA next year, because Charlotte (where I've seen a few games since I was born in NC) is a bandbox and its hard on pitchers.

Daver
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
He did not have surgery. His health is still an issue, but he flashed his old form a few times in the second half of the season. Wasn't as bad as his stats.

Not sure he'll ever be 100%. Tendonitis, other discomfort, nobody really knows.

Yes he did have elbow surgery, I just learned this, though I do not know what procedure, Kirk Champion verified it to Phil Rogers.

maurice
12-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Yes he did have elbow surgery, I just learned this, though I do not know what procedure, Kirk Champion verified it to Phil Rogers.

Wow, when did this happen? I wish we knew what kind of surgery.

Daver
12-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Wow, when did this happen? I wish we knew what kind of surgery.

I'll see if I can find out.

Randar68
12-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I'll see if I can find out.

This must have been some well-guarded secret, then. When was the surgery, this past month or 2 or was this prior to this past season?