PDA

View Full Version : Angels looking at Manny (LA TIMES)

Fenway
11-02-2005, 06:51 PM
wow just wow

According to baseball sources, trade talks probably will expand to include the Arizona Diamondbacks, who could send third baseman Troy Glaus to the Red Sox in a three-way deal. In exchange for Ramirez, the Angels could send first baseman Darin Erstad and a prospect or two to Boston and additional players and prospects to Arizona

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-spw-newswire02nov02,1,6777029.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels&ctrack=1&cset=true

OEO Magglio
11-02-2005, 06:54 PM
wow just wow

According to baseball sources, trade talks probably will expand to include the Arizona Diamondbacks, who could send third baseman Troy Glaus to the Red Sox in a three-way deal. In exchange for Ramirez, the Angels could send first baseman Darin Erstad and a prospect or two to Boston and additional players and prospects to Arizona

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-spw-newswire02nov02,1,6777029.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels&ctrack=1&cset=true
I'm hoping like crazy this happens. That will really help us in our pursuit to keep Pauly.

knocko94
11-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Erstad sucks BAD. Glaus could probably hit 45 homers in Boston if he was healthy, and Boston's 3b core is average at best.

edit: maybe Glaus would move to first, to help keep him healthy. Erstad hit leadoff to replace Damon if he's gone?

Paulwny
11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
..... and with the trade being finalized Manny says, " I'll only ok this trade if I get a contract extension ."

Manny being Manny

The_Floridian
11-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arizona would be getting the best end of this deal?

buehrle4cy05
11-02-2005, 07:33 PM
That actually would be perfect for us. Both Boston and Los Angeles would fill their wants for a big bat, and they are the 2 prime contenders outside of us for Konerko.

Let's see this one get done. Arizona isn't getting a bad deal, but neither is Boston or LA.

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arizona would be getting the best end of this deal?It doesn't really say who they'd be getting. It just says additional players and prospects. I guess it depends on who those are.

The_Floridian
11-02-2005, 09:07 PM
It doesn't really say who they'd be getting. It just says additional players and prospects. I guess it depends on who those are.

I was thinking more in terms of unloading Glaus's contract, which helps in many ways.

LA gets: Manny being Manny for big money (being money).

Boston gets: A declining Erstad and a solid Glaus with a huge contract.

Arizona gets: To dump Glaus's albatross contract, which gives them more money to make continued improvements (they got a lot better last year). They also get some players who may turn out to be very good. Bottom line, they get more financial freedom to build toward being a strong team for the next few years in the weakest division in baseball.

Of the three, I think this helps Arizona the most in the long term.

Paulwny
11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Fenway, you're slowing down :D:

From the Boston Globe:

No truth to rumor

Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes, who last week was the assistant GM of the Sox, quashed speculation raised in yesterday's Los Angeles Times of a possible three-way deal between the Red Sox, Diamondbacks, and Angels that would send Manny Ramirez to Los Angeles and bring Arizona third baseman Troy Glaus and Angels first baseman Darin Erstad to Boston. Prospects would also change hands, according to the Times, which cited baseball sources in its report.

''Nothing to the trade rumor," Byrnes said.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/11/03/timlin_signs_on_for_next_season/

Palehose13
11-03-2005, 01:19 PM
That actually would be perfect for us. Both Boston and Los Angeles would fill their wants for a big bat, and they are the 2 prime contenders outside of us for Konerko.

Let's see this one get done. Arizona isn't getting a bad deal, but neither is Boston or LA.

:?: Boston has a need for a big bat?

Even if it may not be true, it doesn't necessarily settle me cause who would play first for LAAA? I think the Angels are going to be our biggest competition for Konerko.

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Even if it may not be true, it doesn't necessarily settle me cause who would play first for LAAA? I think the Angels are going to be our biggest competition for Konerko.I think the logic is that if Anaheim takes on all of even most of Manny's contract, they would have the big bat they want and wouldn't have the money to make a serious run at PK. But what the payroll fairies giveth, they also taketh away. That would mean that Boston would have more payroll room to try to sign him. Fortunately, their front office is in such a shambles, it's doubtful they could manage a lunch order right now.

Flight #24
11-03-2005, 02:01 PM
I think the logic is that if Anaheim takes on all of even most of Manny's contract, they would have the big bat they want and wouldn't have the money to make a serious run at PK. But what the payroll fairies giveth, they also taketh away. That would mean that Boston would have more payroll room to try to sign him. Fortunately, their front office is in such a shambles, it's doubtful they could manage a lunch order right now.

Glaus is due 9M in '06, growing to 12.5 by 08. That's about a $8-10M difference/year over what Manny's owed. They still need pitching help, a CF, a replacement LF if they trade Manny, and then either a 1B or 3B depending on where they play Glaus. Oh yeah, and bullpen help.

I'd be surprised if Konerko was at the top of their list to spend that money. I'd guess pitching would be #1 - starting and relief, then looking to their offense. Plus there's rumors that they're looking to drop down from their current $125-odd payroll, although that may have changed as they try to upgrade their image after the Theo fallout.

Angels are another story, but IIRC they have Kotchman & Kendry Morales who they're very high on at 1B. It would seem odd for them to throw ridiculous $$ & years at Paulie given that. More likely they'd try to sign him but not at ludicrous amounts. The wildcard in all of this IMO is the Orioles, who are not that smart of an organization and who have $$$ to throw around and a serious void at power hitter.

In general, I think Paulie's going to get an offer in the $12-14M range, and that's it. I would be surprised if the Sox don't come close enough that he stays.

Deuce
11-03-2005, 02:08 PM

Even if it may not be true, it doesn't necessarily settle me cause who would play first for LAAA? I think the Angels are going to be our biggest competition for Konerko.

I agree, but if Boston loses Manny, they are going to need a big hitter to 1) replace Manny and 2) try and cover up their shortfalls in pitching. However, given that Epstein is gone, I doubt Boston will do much before before the end of the year.

Deuce

longshot7
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
A great deal (if true) for the Angels!

Erstad and prospects (maybe Jeff Mathis, Dallas McPherson, or Kendry Morales) for Manny Ramirez???

Where do I sign?

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Glaus is due 9M in '06, growing to 12.5 by 08. That's about a $8-10M difference/year over what Manny's owed. They still need pitching help, a CF, a replacement LF if they trade Manny, and then either a 1B or 3B depending on where they play Glaus. Oh yeah, and bullpen help.

I'd be surprised if Konerko was at the top of their list to spend that money. I'd guess pitching would be #1 - starting and relief, then looking to their offense. Plus there's rumors that they're looking to drop down from their current $125-odd payroll, although that may have changed as they try to upgrade their image after the Theo fallout.

Angels are another story, but IIRC they have Kotchman & Kendry Morales who they're very high on at 1B. It would seem odd for them to throw ridiculous $$ & years at Paulie given that. More likely they'd try to sign him but not at ludicrous amounts. The wildcard in all of this IMO is the Orioles, who are not that smart of an organization and who have $$$ to throw around and a serious void at power hitter.

In general, I think Paulie's going to get an offer in the $12-14M range, and that's it. I would be surprised if the Sox don't come close enough that he stays.It looks to me like the potential show-stopper for PK is years. The Sox will likely be competitive if someone offers him $12-14M/yr, but if someone offers him 6-7 years, I don't see the Sox going that high. And I wouldn't blame them a bit. 5 years max for a guy who's going to be 30 on opening day. Maybe they could get creative and add some option years that would vest if he meets certain targets.

The Mets are another potential suitor along with the Orioles. They have much the same history of having more money than brains.

asindc
11-03-2005, 02:25 PM
The Mets are another potential suitor along with the Orioles. They have much the same history of having more money than brains.

It's called tabloid general managing, a/k/a keeping up with the Joneses (Yanks and Red Sox).