PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE READ!! - Information about the Expand/Contract Post Feature.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 01:30 AM
I just installed a massive new hack. It collapses messages you have already read. So when you go into a thread only the new ones show the full message. It is in option an your user CP. It says "Contract Old Posts". Unfortunately, it works it's magic by taking advantage of a built in feature of IE. It uses the <div> HTML tag which older versions of Nutscrape do not recognize. This makes threads much easier to read and it cuts way down on bandwidth usage. There is an option at the top of each thread to expand or collapse the entire thread. Plus, each message has a little plus or minus sign in the upper left hand corner that lets you collapse or expand that message. This is a seriously cool feature. I have turned this feature on for everybody. If you don't want to use it and don't want to conserve on bandwidth usage, go to your user CP and turn it off. Thank you.

Update: This seems to pretty much work in Netscape 6.2.

Update 2: The first post always defaults to expanded now.

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 01:39 AM
Always trying to find a way to screw us Netscape users, huh West?

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Always trying to find a way to screw us Netscape users, huh West? There is nothing I can do. The hack brilliantly uses the <div> tag to switch the appearance of the message from contracted to expanded. The author of the hack is amazing. She also did the one that shows the post count in a thread and all the cool stuff I added to the PM system. She totally rocks. It's not her or my fault Nutscrape is primitive. :smile:

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 01:47 AM
I downloaded the new Netscape (6.2.1) and still nothing. Alas, I shall download the new MSN soon.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 01:48 AM
I downloaded the new Netscape (6.2.1) and still nothing. Alas, I shall download the new MSN soon. Nutscrape does not recognize the <div> tag. You must use IE.

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Nutscrape does not recognize the <div> tag. You must use IE.

Wouldn't I get that from MSN?

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 01:52 AM

Wouldn't I get that from MSN? I have no idea.

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 01:57 AM
Well I'll find out when I download it sometime in the next couple of days.

CLR01
12-15-2001, 02:12 AM
Well I'll find out when I download it sometime in the next couple of days.

Why dont you just download IE?

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 02:14 AM
I feel like going for the whole thing this time.

Daver
12-15-2001, 02:15 AM
I just installed a massive new hack. For IE users it collapses messages you have already read. So when you go into a thread only the new ones show the full message. It is in option in your user CP. It says "Contract Old Posts". Unfortunately, it only works for IE users. It uses the <div> HTML tag which Nutscrape does not recognize. This makes threads much easier to read and it cuts way down on bandwidth usage. There is an option at the top of each thread to expand or collapse the entire thread. Plus, each message has a little plus or minus sign in the upper left hand corner that lets you collapse or expand that message. This is a seriously cool feature. Please go to your user CP's and turn it on. Thank youl.

I like it FWC,why haven't we been using this since day one?

CLR01
12-15-2001, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by daver

I like it FWC,why haven't we been using this since day one?

Agrreed, i have been waiting for something like this for a while. Makes it much easier. Especially in the big threads. Excellent work West.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:17 AM

I like it FWC,why haven't we been using this since day one? She just wrote the thing a few days ago. And it is a major installation. I had to upgrade my test board to make it the same as this one. That took a lot of time last night. Then I had to install it there tonight and get it working right. There are massive changes involved. Once I got it tuned up, it only took a few minutes to install here. :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Agrreed, i have been waiting for something like this for a while. Makes it much easier. Especially in the big threads. Excellent work West. Well, I did a lot of work. But Bira wrote the thing. She's a genius.

WinningUgly!
12-15-2001, 02:19 AM
Always trying to find a way to screw us Netscape users, huh West?

The only one screwing Netscape users is Netscape! :D:
The new hack is suh-weet West.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:20 AM

I like it FWC,why haven't we been using this since day one? BTW, Daver. She runs the number one F1 site on the net. She only writes hacks during their offseason. :smile:

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 02:22 AM
:D: FWC, I went on IE here at home and turned it on, and flipped to NS and the hack worked. I deserve a beverage. :gulp:

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:24 AM
:D: FWC, I went on IE here at home and turned it on, and flipped to NS and the hack worked. I deserve a beverage. :gulp: It works in Nutscrape?

Daver
12-15-2001, 02:24 AM
BTW, Daver. She runs the number one F1 site on the net. She only writes hacks during their offseason. :smile:

I'm glad that she has her priorities in order.
:)

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 02:25 AM
Following the steps listed, it worked for me. Maybe I am an aspiring hacker.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:26 AM

I'm glad that she has her priorities in order.
:) I think her father is a team owner or something. On her board in the profiles there is a who is your favoite driver or team and her answer is "my dad's". :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:27 AM
Following the steps listed, it worked for me. Maybe I am an aspiring hacker. Maybe 'Scrape added the <div> tag. I know she worked hard to make sure it wouldn't blow things up for 'Scrape users. And then there's the Opera crowd...

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 02:36 AM
Like I said, I downloaded the newest version of Netscape earlier tonight. Maybe that helped.

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 02:44 AM
I am going to retire to bed now, as I have done my good deed for the day. FWC check out the STS post.

Peace

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 03:27 AM
Due to underwhelming response, I ran a query and turned this feature on for everybody. If you have any problems, ask me for help.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-15-2001, 10:35 AM
All Hail King Hack!

:gulp:

Spiff
12-15-2001, 10:45 AM
It confused the hell out of me this morning.

But now I just start with all of them expanded then contract them as I read them.

czalgosz
12-15-2001, 12:16 PM
Let this be where I commend all those who work so hard to keep this site up and going. I don't post as often as I used to, but living 2000 miles away from most other Sox fans makes this site almost essential to get through the day.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
It confused the hell out of me this morning.

But now I just start with all of them expanded then contract them as I read them. They don't contract unless you have already read them.

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 01:32 PM
Nice job West, but I'm going to stick with the old way.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Nice job West, but I'm going to stick with the old way. Why?

Daver
12-15-2001, 01:38 PM
Why?

Stubborn.

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 02:01 PM
Why?

I like what you did but I'm just more comfortable using the other way.

voodoochile
12-15-2001, 02:36 PM
I haven't read any of this thread except the last few replys and have no idea what you guys are talking about, because all the previous messages are contracted. Can you repost what I am supposed to turn on?

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 02:37 PM
Here Voodoo:

I just installed a massive new hack. For IE users it collapses messages you have already read. So when you go into a thread only the new ones show the full message. It is in option in your user CP. It says "Contract Old Posts". Unfortunately, it only works for IE users. It uses the <div> HTML tag which Nutscrape does not recognize. This makes threads much easier to read and it cuts way down on bandwidth usage. There is an option at the top of each thread to expand or collapse the entire thread. Plus, each message has a little plus or minus sign in the upper left hand corner that lets you collapse or expand that message. This is a seriously cool feature. Please go to your user CP's and turn it on. Thank youl.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I haven't read any of this thread except the last few replys and have no idea what you guys are talking about, because all the previous messages are contracted. Can you repost what I am supposed to turn on? Click on expand all at the top of the tread. I turned the feature on for everybody. Now you have to turn it off if you don't want to use it.

voodoochile
12-15-2001, 02:51 PM
Click on expand all at the top of the tread. I turned the feature on for everybody. Now you have to turn it off if you don't want to use it.

Mine are still contracted unless I expand them, including the unread posts at the beginning of this thread. Is that because I had them open when they were already contracted?

Also, in case someone else has problems, may I suggest you post a sticky with the title, "Click on Expand All if you cannot read the posts".

Just a suggestion...

Daver
12-15-2001, 02:55 PM

Mine are still contracted unless I expand them, including the unread posts at the beginning of this thread. Is that because I had them open when they were already contracted?

Also, in case someone else has problems, may I suggest you post a sticky with the title, "Click on Expand All if you cannot read the posts".

Just a suggestion...

You can go to user CP and turn the option off if you want.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 02:56 PM

Just a suggestion... When you log on to the board you start a session. That session ends 15 minutes after your last activity. All messages are marked read at that point. That's the way it's always been. If they are contracted, they have been marked as read because you either marked all forums read or were on the board earlier, didn't get caught up and left. If you want to read old messages, just expand them. I think it may be a good idea to change the name of the thread. :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 05:25 PM
I made a modification. The first post in a thread will come up expanded when you enter the thread whether you have read it or not. Nustscape users should see the expand and contract stuff at the top of the thread. Of course, I blew up the board a liittle along the way. Sorry about that. :smile:

Tragg
12-15-2001, 08:19 PM
Seems like they are all collapsed and I must hit the + button to uncollapse and read them. Should I hit the minus button after i've read the string to recollapse them?

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Seems like they are all collapsed and I must hit the + button to uncollapse and read them. Should I hit the minus button after i've read the string to recollapse them? If they are collapsed they are already marked as read. That means you either marked all forums read or you visited the board, didn't catch up and left. All posts are marked as read 15 minutes after your last activity. If you want to read old messages, just expand them. New messages and the first in a thread will always be expanded by default.

doublem23
12-16-2001, 01:22 AM
Whoa! This new hack is shweet, Uncle Donny.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-17-2001, 11:15 AM
I think the confusion lies with people who read some posts, but not all of them before leaving. When they revisit, some of the posts they never read are collapsed behind the little (-) sign in the upper left corner.

I'm more concerned about new users who may not understand the relevance of the (-) sign in the upper corner of collapsed threads. Besides being too small to be much noticed, it's not very descriptive of what it does.

A suggestion... change the (-) icon to "Read Post Again". Also change the (+) icon to "Collapse Post". Ideally, this would go in the body-section of the thread, not next to the poster's name. For newbies or those who don't understand all the technogeek features, this will provide a clue of what they need to read, and how to read it.

The discussion here moves very fast. Making this board as user-friendly as possible is always the top concern.

As always with technogeek features, I submit to the wishes of King Hack!

:cool:

Spiff
12-17-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
A suggestion... change the (-) icon to "Read Post Again". Also change the (+) icon to "Collapse Post".

Wouldn't it be the opposite? :)

FarWestChicago
12-17-2001, 01:28 PM
I think the confusion lies with people who read some posts, but not all of them before leaving. When they revisit, some of the posts they never read are collapsed behind the little (-) sign in the upper left corner.

I'm more concerned about new users who may not understand the relevance of the (-) sign in the upper corner of collapsed threads. Besides being too small to be much noticed, it's not very descriptive of what it does.

A suggestion... change the (-) icon to "Read Post Again". Also change the (+) icon to "Collapse Post". Ideally, this would go in the body-section of the thread, not next to the poster's name. For newbies or those who don't understand all the technogeek features, this will provide a clue of what they need to read, and how to read it.
Actually, everybody seems to be doing pretty well. In fact, only about 5 people have turned the feature off. And they are 18 and younger. So much for young folks being computer savvy. :smile: The expand and contract images are not readily changeable. They are buried in the code of the hack, not sitting in a template. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can add some alt tags in the code. I'm not sure if I can. They are embedded in javascript that does the cool one message expand/collapse. Also, the bandwidth savings have been excellent. I would estimate at least 30%. This will really help when the regular season starts. We may be able to leave images in signatures without exceeding our monthly bandwidth limits.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-17-2001, 01:35 PM
Actually, everybody seems to be doing pretty well. In fact, only about 5 people have turned the feature off. And they are 18 and younger. So much for young folks being computer savvy. :smile: The expand and contract images are not readily changeable. They are buried in the code of the hack, not sitting in a template. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can add some alt tags in the code. I'm not sure if I can. They are embedded in javascript that does the cool one message expand/collapse. Also, the bandwidth savings have been excellent. I would estimate at least 30%. This will really help when the regular season starts. We may be able to leave images in signatures without exceeding our monthly bandwidth limits.

Well, get the woman who wrote the damned thing to fix it, already! The Teenagers of America demand it!!!!!

:D:

Spiff
12-17-2001, 01:40 PM

This is prolly too simplistic a solution but there has to be a reference somewhere that says img src=minussign.gif or something you put it all in notepad or wordpad you might be able to search for it and change it.

But I don't know too much about the java you put in the board.

FarWestChicago
12-17-2001, 01:43 PM

Well, get the woman who wrote the damned thing to fix it, already! The Teenagers of America demand it!!!!!

:D: I was chatting with her last night. The trick I used to keep the first post expanded was simpler than hers. She switched to my method :smile: She explained why I can get the expand/contract all at the top of the thread to work for 'Scrape users but not the +/- icons on the individual messages. 'Scrape can't handle the javascript. What else is new. :(:

FarWestChicago
12-17-2001, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

This is prolly too simplistic a solution but there has to be a reference somewhere that says img src=minussign.gif or something you put it all in notepad or wordpad you might be able to search for it and change it.

But I don't know too much about the java you put in the board. LOL!! If I didn't know that much there wouldn't even be a board. The problem is the HTML code is buried inside javascript inside PHP code. I'm sure I can probably change it, but I have to hack a board file. I don't have time right now. :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-17-2001, 02:15 PM

:D: LMAO!!! I went and looked at the code and discovered she installed two custom templates to handle the images. They have alt messages now. :smile:

ma-gaga
12-19-2001, 01:38 PM
I like the new hack. Place the cursor over the thread and it pops up a condensed version of the first message...

very cool.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-19-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I like the new hack. Place the cursor over the thread and it pops up a condensed version of the first message...

very cool.

Nobody hacks, like King Hack!!!!

ode to veeck
12-19-2001, 03:32 PM
new capability seems to be collapsing a lot of posts I ain't even seen yet ... and I log in only once /week or so these days ... a balance between depression over the KW Sox and afraid to not see what he gave up and traded down for next

FarWestChicago
12-19-2001, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
new capability seems to be collapsing a lot of posts I ain't even seen yet ... and I log in only once /week or so these days ... a balance between depression over the KW Sox and afraid to not see what he gave up and traded down for next If you log in and don't catch up, everything you didn't catch up on is marked as read when your session times out. It has always worked that way. If you want to read old posts, hit expand all at the top of the thread.