PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro on the Block?

Vestigio
11-02-2005, 03:50 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_3168307

"Believe it: The Mariners are accepting offers right now for the standout leadoff hitter, and the price is only going to go up if/when Ichiro's true feelings about wanting out become public, prompting more teams to get Bill Bavasi on the phone."

Maybe Tadahito wants a new friend?

JorgeFabregas
11-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Where would we put him?

Tekijawa
11-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Where would we put him?
Firstbase?

Gavin
11-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Fat.

Chance.

getonbckthr
11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
rowand, duque, marte and a few prospects could get us ichiro, he can then play center and bat 3rd.

chaerulez
11-02-2005, 04:33 PM
rowand, duque, marte and a few prospects could get us ichiro, he can then play center and bat 3rd.

No.

Jjav829
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
"Believe it"

I don't.

Jjav829
11-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Rowand, El Duque and Marte probably wouldn't even us Jeremy Reed. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the point....hopefully.

Vernam
11-02-2005, 04:36 PM
"Believe it: The Mariners are accepting offers right now for the standout leadoff hitter, and the price is only going to go up if/when Ichiro's true feelings about wanting out become public, prompting more teams to get Bill Bavasi on the phone." The fact that he's supposedly insisting on a trade would cause the price to go UP? Not likely.

Vernam

Banix12
11-02-2005, 04:49 PM

God I hope that was supposed to be pink. We need a pink police tag. Call it the Dream Police, they live inside of your head.

If I see another "Rowand, Duque, Marte for (insert all-star here)" trade suggestion I am going to scream.

As for ichiro, I'd love to see him here, not sure it's possible. If you have been scuffling as much as the Mariners have the last few years, everybody should potentially be on the trading block because what you have clearly isn't working.

Certainly they'll want a #1 starter.

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Rowand, El Duque and Marte probably wouldn't even us Jeremy Reed. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the point....hopefully.They'd at least have to throw in Willie Harris.:tongue:

antitwins13
11-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Bat 3rd? He's probably the best lead off hitter of the modern era!

Tragg
11-02-2005, 09:21 PM

No thank you. 2 of his past 3 years, including last year, have produced a.350 OBP, which is nowhere near worthy of the hypberbole.
I'd trade him, too, if I were them; that's a bad team that could use a lot of help and he isn't getting any younger and his production totally depends on hitting, as he doesn't walk much.

Norberto7
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
No thank you. 2 of his past 3 years, including last year, have produced a.350 OBP, which is nowhere near worthy of the hypberbole.
I'd trade him, too, if I were them; that's a bad team that could use a lot of help and he isn't getting any younger and his production totally depends on hitting, as he doesn't walk much.

.303 average, 15 home runs, 68 rbi, 111 runs, 33 steals, Gold Glove defense? I'd certainly have to see the cost before I say no to that.

rainbow6
11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Remember Rocky Biddle for Colon?
Rowand and Co. for Ichiro doesn't sound any crazier than that...

Luke.

Soxzilla
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I believe Seattle did want Joe Borchard at some point.

Get it done Kenny!

RF for RF swap!:bandance:

:wink:

GeauxSox
11-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Yeah and throw in Charlotte too.

Tragg
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
.303 average, 15 home runs, 68 rbi, 111 runs, 33 steals, Gold Glove defense? I'd certainly have to see the cost before I say no to that.

12.5M in salary; the only difference between him and Pods last year was he won the HR crown 15-0 (but lost the steals crown and the salary crown).

Solid numbers but hardly overwhelming.
We need Konerko's 40 HRs more than we need Ichiro.

kittle42
11-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Is this what we have to look forward to all offseason? :(:

samram
11-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Is this what we have to look forward to all offseason? :(:

Do you mean trade talk or stupid trade talk? The answer is yes to both.

Soxzilla
11-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Do you mean trade talk or stupid trade talk? The answer is yes to both.

There is a difference, on this board?

Norberto7
11-02-2005, 10:50 PM
12.5M in salary; the only difference between him and Pods last year was he won the HR crown 15-0 (but lost the steals crown and the salary crown).

Solid numbers but hardly overwhelming.
We need Konerko's 40 HRs more than we need Ichiro.

I'd also call 68 rbi and 25 rbi a difference, but that also depends on the dynamic of the Mariners lineup, which I don't know.

Regardless of that, I'll agree wholeheartedly with that last statement. Ichiro provides more of what the Sox have in abundance, Paulie provides what they lack.

(And I'd bet if you asked Ichiro, he'd say he won the salary crown. :smile: )

samram
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM
There is a difference, on this board?

Ah, you know me, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until I see the Sox can supposedly can Mark Texeira for Aaron Rowand and El Duque. I find the trade talk to be far more realistic and thoughtful when it doesn't involve the Sox.

Chips
11-02-2005, 11:40 PM
I believe Seattle did want Joe Borchard at some point.

Get it done Kenny!

RF for RF swap!:bandance:

:wink:

I wouldn't like that trade if it was real.

:LTP Borchard Kicks Ass.

There is no room for Ichiro on this team.

Mr. White Sox
11-03-2005, 12:01 AM
The day Ichiro is traded is the day I pledge my undying loyalty to the Minnesota Twins.

Hawk Harrelson
11-03-2005, 12:04 AM

I'd do it in a second.

Chisox003
11-03-2005, 12:29 AM
I'd do it in a second.
Yes, I'm sure the Mariners would too. :rolleyes:

The recent Teixeria and Ichiro rumors are almost as ridiculous as the infamous Shingo for Derek Lee trade earlier this year.

So this is the offseason at WSI, eh? Cmon April 06!!!

Sarah
11-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Despite the Japanese media circus that constantly surrounds Ichiro (which has, post-Matsui, seemed to decline), I would assume he would fit in well with the 'check your ego' attitude of the Sox. The whole 'team first' Japanese attitude thing.

Of course, this is me ignoring the fact that he is the only player in the Major Leagues who only has his first name on his jersey...

-Sarah-

Tragg
11-03-2005, 12:44 AM
I'd also call 68 rbi and 25 rbi a difference, but that also depends on the dynamic of the Mariners lineup, which I don't know.

Regardless of that, I'll agree wholeheartedly with that last statement. Ichiro provides more of what the Sox have in abundance, Paulie provides what they lack.

(And I'd bet if you asked Ichiro, he'd say he won the salary crown. :smile: )
Well, yea, he's definited a better hitter than Pods. But last year he wasn't overwhelmingly better. Anyway, we have a lot of swing-at-everything players with fair power, although he's better at it than ours. Need a Konerko, then a 3 hitter before we need an Ichiro.

getonbckthr
11-03-2005, 12:51 AM

The reason I think they would do this is because Seattle has to get younger plus their payroll is high for a last place team. Teams will not be willing to take Sexson or Beltre, the only logical solution would be Ichiro. Now true El Duque is old but his contract is much smaller than ichiro and its for only 1 season I believe. Rowand is a potential gold glover who got robbed this year. The acquisition of Marte would allow them to deal Guardado for more young prospects. Now in Chicago we don't view Marte as anything, however around baseball marte is still seen as a possible closer of the future. Especially with teams like the Mets (looper), Red sox (foulke) Philly (wagner) San Diego (hoffman) and possibly Cleveland (wickman) potentially looking for a closer because they are either unhappy with or losing their current closer, making Guardado's value high. When deals are made it isn't always perfectly even on both sides, sometimes it comes down to money and who they will get the most value out of.
As far as Ichiro batting third its simple. Podz leads off single. steals second, gooch with a bunt, ichiro single, steals second, maybe third, paulie sac fly, sox up 2-0. I could get used to that.

getonbckthr
11-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Of course, this is me ignoring the fact that he is the only player in the Major Leagues who only has his first name on his jersey...

-Sarah-
this goes back to when he was in japan he was known simple as Ichiro, equilivent to Madonna or Geraldo.

samram
11-03-2005, 12:57 AM
The whole 'team first' Japanese attitude thing.

:nandrolone
"We'll see about that."

kittle42
11-03-2005, 07:19 AM
I don't know what is worse...the initial ridiculous trade proposals/rumors, or the subsequent posters who actually agree with them.

kittle42, waiting for the "what else are we supposed to talk about?" / "of course the Brewers would trade Sheets for Marte" / "if you don't like the thread, don't read it" responses.

Soxzilla
11-03-2005, 09:02 AM
I don't know what is worse...the initial ridiculous trade proposals/rumors, or the subsequent posters who actually agree with them.

kittle42, waiting for the "what else are we supposed to talk about?" / "of course the Brewers would trade Sheets for Marte" / "if you don't like the thread, don't read it" responses.

Wait a minute...

WE CAN TRADE MARTE FOR SHEETS AND OVERBAY!

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

SOXintheBURGH
11-03-2005, 09:10 AM
this goes back to when he was in japan he was known simple as Ichiro, equilivent to Madonna or Geraldo.

His last name is Suzuki.. which is equivilvent to Johnson or Smith. So he started going by his first name.

soxfanreggie
11-03-2005, 09:31 AM
As for Ichiro...others are right, we have a much bigger need to re-sign Konerko. Ichiro is only 32, which means he does have some good playing years left. If he was a few years older, I would definitely be against a trade for him because of the speed he would lose. Speedy players are unlike power players and have a potential for a higher dropoff. However, the likelihood in getting Ichiro would depend on 1) If Ozzie wants him for the team 2) What we have to give up for him, and 3) Will JR increase the payroll enough to resign PK and then take on Ichiro's contract.

MadetoOrta
11-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Again, the success of our beloved Sox has sent shockwaves through major league baseball front offices. You don't have to spend $150 million to win the World Series. In my opinion, there will be plenty of big contracts being offered up just to get them off the payroll and give teams breathing room. That said, top propects will have to be sent in return. Ichiro, Griffey, Manny, A-Rod, Sheffield and many more can be had for less than equal value. Do we want to bite? Remember '59: Norm Cash, Johnny Callison and Earl Batty would have helped the '64 and '67 Sox. Should be a fascinating hot stove league.

soxfanreggie
11-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't give up a prospect like BMac. Unless you're saying we can get Pujos, BMac...along with MB and Garland gives us a formidable rotation for years to come.

D. TODD
11-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Ichiro is probably my favorite player in baseball right now. I highly doubt that the Sox would have a legit chance at obtaining him, butf he is on the move I just pray it is not to the Scrubs on the northside. That would not allow me to root for him all 162 games instead of just the times he faces the Sox.

A Friend of mine was a huge Lance Johnson supporter. It killed him to see one-dog on the northside, so other then Sox player transactions I always keep an eye on some of my favorite players and hope they stay away from the Scrubs.

Madvora
11-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Ichiro is probably my favorite player in baseball right now I highly doubt that the Sox would have a legit chance at obtaining him. If he is on the move I just pray it is not to the Scrubs on the northside. That would not allow me to root for him all 162 games instead of just the times he faces the Sox.
He plays the kind of baseball I love and it would be great to have him on my team. He's probably my favorite out there too. I can't see it happening though. He'll probably just stay in Seattle.

It kind of makes you think about what a weird lineup we'd have with Podsednik and Suzuki in there.

Jjav829
11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Wait a minute...

WE CAN TRADE MARTE FOR SHEETS AND OVERBAY!

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

If we add in Borchard do you think they'll add Rickie Weeks?

JohnBasedowYoda
11-03-2005, 12:54 PM
dear lord how long before pitchers and catchers?!? this is already driving me nuts

Deuce
11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Joe Borchard has a better chance of being an everyday starter than Ichiro has of coming to the Sox.

Deuce

WestSox
11-03-2005, 01:20 PM
His last name is Suzuki.. which is equivilvent to Johnson or Smith. So he started going by his first name.

IIRC, last (family) names are usually pronounced before individual names in most Asian countries. I figured that was why his first name is on his jersey.

asindc
11-03-2005, 01:21 PM
IIRC, last (family) names are usually pronounced before individual names in most Asian countries. I figured that was why his first name is on his jersey.

I think Japan is one of the few Asian countries where the first name goes before the surname.

goofymsfan
11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Hate to tell you this, but Ichiro is not going any where. This "Ichiro wants to be traded" rumor came about when someone in the media twisted his words. (the media would never do something like that) The fact that the majority owner for the M's is Japanese and his favorite player is Ichiro and he makes a bunch of money for the M's would make it suicide to the M's to get rid of him.

Soxzilla
11-03-2005, 02:49 PM
If we add in Borchard do you think they'll add Rickie Weeks?

Now you're just being ridiculous.

A. Cavatica
11-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Let me preface my answer by saying he's not coming here and the speculation is silly, but it's easy to find a spot for him.

Ichiro would lead off and play right. Dye would move to left. Pods would be the odd man out. This would improve the outfield offensively & defensively, but Pods is a lot more cost-effective than Ichiro.

Or trade Rowand, move Dye to left, play Pods/Anderson in center. I much prefer Rowand to Pods in center.

Or if Konerko leaves and Dye's willing to move to first, leave Pods and Rowand alone.