PDA

View Full Version : Plans for Sox Metra stop

MarkPloch
11-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Plans for Sox Metra stop

Construction of a Metra station on 35th Street near U.S. Cellular Field should start by early 2007, Metra board member Alonzo Hill said.

"The 35th Street station is no longer a discussion, it's a reality," Hill told the Cook County board on Tuesday.

Metra plans to solicit bids for design of the Rock Island Line station by the end of this year, Hill said. An engineering contract should be signed by early 2006.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/south/022syt1.htm

Rocky Soprano
11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Yes!

clogoodie
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
That's great news!

Frater Perdurabo
11-02-2005, 02:48 PM
:threadrules::putitontheboard:winner

Seriously, next to the World Series win, this is some of the best news to come from 35th and Shields from the last month!

Foulke You
11-02-2005, 02:49 PM
That will definitely be more convenient for fans in the South Suburbs who now should have a public transportation option. The only question I have is, what the heck took so long to make this happen?:?:

DumpJerry
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
The only question I have is, what the heck took so long to make this happen?:?:
The stop is 8.2 miles too far south.

Law11
11-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Now All we need is one from the NW burbs.. Yeh, that'll happen.

DenverSock
11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
What they need is a special train from Midway.

RealMenWearBlack
11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Now All we need is one from the NW burbs.. Yeh, that'll happen.

There's a Metra in Arlington Heights.

woodenleg
11-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, people from the NW burbs can always transfer. Bit of a hassle, but at least you don't have to park.

This is fantastic news. Our prayers have been answered!!

eriqjaffe
11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
There's a Metra in Arlington Heights.What he said. You can get off at Irving Park and walk to the Irving Park Blue Line stop from there.

I could get all the way to The Cell completely without driving, if I were of a mind to...I still usually drive to Cumberland, though.

tlebar318
11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I just did this run from Mokena for Game #1 of the World Series...seemed so silly to ride right past the ballpark and not stop and then have to take the CTA Redline back South to the park--this is great news! :smile:

South Side Irish
11-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I LOVE the idea, but it just comes a few years late! I've lived in the South Burbs my whole life, and I move to DuPage this spring... looks like I'll miss it!

A better idea would be that "transpo hub" they've been talking about. Having the metra trains/cta trains/busses meet in one place would create a nearly seamless transportation to downtown. Anyone could get to Sox games, not just Southsiders on Metra or City people on the Red Line. It will be expensive, but well worth the revenue it would generate around the city and suburbs.

Regardless, this is a great way to build on '05's success. Making it easier for Southsiders is a brilliant, brilliant move.

SoxFan928
11-02-2005, 03:41 PM
This is great news. I love riding Metra and this just gave me one more reason.

Don't worry, all, if you live near a Metra route you can use this to your advantage. Every route originates in Chicago at one of a handful of downtown stations; you can easily transfer by walking or taking a cab.

LongLiveFisk
11-02-2005, 03:41 PM
That is AWESOME. Many times I have ridden the Metra in from Oak Lawn to downtown and wondered why it would pass RIGHT BY the Cell without there being a stop. Now there will be more options for people to get to the ballpark. :bandance:

CHIsoxNation
11-02-2005, 03:43 PM
It's about time! This is great. I won't have to worry about taking the redline back to the city and run through the loop to catch the last train out of LaSalle to Tinley Park. I guess I can put up with it for one more year though.

Hitmen77
11-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Excellent! It probably won't be of much use to me personally since I live in DuPage, but I think it'll help the team draw more fans from the SW suburbs to the games.

ChiWavDave
11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Excellent! It probably won't be of much use to me personally since I live in DuPage, but I think it'll help the team draw more fans from the SW suburbs to the games.

It might help us Dupage-ians by taking a little traffic off the expressways though...

Can't hurt thats for sure

JohnBasedowYoda
11-02-2005, 03:59 PM
thank god!! i just hope they keep the damn train on the tracks when i ride it

doublem23
11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
What he said. You can get off at Irving Park and walk to the Irving Park Blue Line stop from there.

I could get all the way to The Cell completely without driving, if I were of a mind to...I still usually drive to Cumberland, though.

I do believe the Metra Line that runs through Arlington Heights also runs to Jefferson Park on the city's Northwest Side. From there, you can get off the Metra, walk down the stairs, turn right and walk right to the CTA Blue Line without ever leaving the building.

eriqjaffe
11-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I do believe the Metra Line that runs through Arlington Heights also runs to Jefferson Park on the city's Northwest Side. From there, you can get off the Metra, walk down the stairs, turn right and walk right to the CTA Blue Line without ever leaving the building.Yes, the Arlington Heights line has a Jefferson Park stop - I never knew you could go to the Blue Line there. I knew about Irving Park because you can see the Irving Park Blue Line stop from the Metra station - but Jefferson Park may be even better.

downstairs
11-02-2005, 04:14 PM
The only problem is that Metra isn't so good when going from line to line.

I live in the west suburbs, I think the Burlington Northern line. To get to another line, I'd have to go to Union Station. Well, at that point I could get on the El.

I really wish they had some sort of cross-line stops... but I guess that's impossible over hundreds and hundreds of square miles...

downstairs
11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
They really ought to have a long Metra line that goes diagonal from the far NW, to the SE part of Chicago, that crosses every single Metra line, and allows a place for easy transfer- staying on Metra.

Another problem... Metra trains don't run that often at night, unlike the El.

So you're looking at like 2-3 hours of waiting around and travelling after the game... I'd rather just drive.

:(

itsnotrequired
11-02-2005, 04:19 PM
The only problem is that Metra isn't so good when going from line to line.

I live in the west suburbs, I think the Burlington Northern line. To get to another line, I'd have to go to Union Station. Well, at that point I could get on the El.

I really wish they had some sort of cross-line stops... but I guess that's impossible over hundreds and hundreds of square miles...

STAR Line is in the works...

http://www.soodan.com/images/1386-starblue.gif

http://www.soodan.com/pages/star.html

doublem23
11-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Yes, the Arlington Heights line has a Jefferson Park stop - I never knew you could go to the Blue Line there. I knew about Irving Park because you can see the Irving Park Blue Line stop from the Metra station - but Jefferson Park may be even better.

Yup; the Blue Line runs right in the middle of the Kennedy; the Metra station and Blue Line are connected by the tunnel that goes overhead the inbound (IIRC) lanes of the Kennedy Expressway.

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/jefferson_pk.html

downstairs
11-02-2005, 04:31 PM
STAR Line is in the works...

http://www.soodan.com/images/1386-starblue.gif

http://www.soodan.com/pages/star.html (http://www.soodan.com/pages/star.html)

Wow! Awesome.

However when I see "METRA" and "in the works" in the same sentence, I assume its really for my kids or grandkids in 50 years....

eriqjaffe
11-02-2005, 04:39 PM
All this talk reminds me that, back a couple years ago, there was talk about extending the Blue Line all the way out to Schaumburg. One proposed route led along the Northwest Tollway portion of 90, and the other route ran farther south. Both were supposed to end up at the Schaumburg Transportation Center, right by Woodfield Mall.

Everything I can dig up on it seems to be circa 2001...take this snippet from the 6/30/01 Sun Times:

To appease the suburbs around O'Hare, Daley threw in a laundry list of proposals: extension of the CTA's Blue Line to Schaumburg, CTA express train service from the Loop to O'Hare and O'Hare to Midway, and an extension of the South Shore Line to the Gary-Chicago Airport.

I wonder what ever became of those plans...

Hitmen77
11-02-2005, 04:47 PM
All this talk reminds me that, back a couple years ago, there was talk about extending the Blue Line all the way out to Schaumburg. One proposed route led along the Northwest Tollway portion of 90, .....

I wonder what ever became of those plans...

See the Metra STAR line map posted above. The portion of the route from Hoffman Estates to Des Plaines will run along I-90.

Funding for this was just included in that huge transportation bill that Bush signed this summer. It'll probably start service in about 10 years.

hose
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I live in Mount Prospect and didn't drive my car once to the Cell this year.

I signed up for the Grinder Plan which started July 4th and also went to every playoff and WS game.

Take the Metra to Ogilive, walk 2 blocks south down Clinton to the Green line , get off at 35th Bronzeville stop.

I did have to take the Blue line and use the park and ride at Rosemont a couple of times because of Metra's Chicago to Harvard weekend schedule didn't match up good for the Sox 2:00 Sunday start.

hose
11-02-2005, 04:56 PM
btw Metra totally blew it for the Sox Parade. They should have added extra cars and trains for the event.

downstairs
11-02-2005, 04:59 PM
btw Metra totally blew it for the Sox Parade. They should have added extra cars and trains for the event.

You could have always woke up earlier.

I mean... there were a million people going, ya know...

:cool:

SoxFan64
11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
It's about time! This is great. ...I guess I can put up with it for one more year though.

If I am reading the news announcement correctly you will most likely have a two year wait. The bids go out in 2006 and construction begins in 2007. If they wait for the springtime construction season and depending on how long it takes to put this up -- I think it is more realistic to see this ready sometime in 2008.

But then again I do live in Chicago anymore. So what do I know?

hose
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
You could have always woke up earlier.

I mean... there were a million people going, ya know...

:cool:

Make that 1.75 million.

I got a free ride because the conductor was pinned in on the first step by the door and gave up trying to collect. The rest of the cars were packed like sardines and after Norwood Park nobody could get on or off the train. A lot of people were left standing at the remaining stations with panicked looks on their faces realizing they have to find another way down to the parade.

slavko
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Metra did send an extra train up to Glenview from downtown to pick up people stranded on the platform as full trains sped by.

lostletters
11-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Great news.
This is a huge step for increased white sox attendence numbers because fans wanting to attend games on thier own can justify a train ticket more then the parking costs.

I guess a world championship does work wonders.

Fenway
11-02-2005, 05:37 PM
will help with people downtown who are skitterish about the Red Line

wonderful news

It worked wonders when the Red Sox opened Yawkey Station on our commuter rail

hose
11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
will help with people downtown who are skitterish about the Red Line

wonderful news

It worked wonders when the Red Sox opened Yawkey Station on our commuter rail

Metra > CTA

ewokpelts
11-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Dont be Suprised if they have express busses for Northwestern Station soon. It's not smart to make fans coming off that station to walk/ride 5 blocks to the red line.

Gene

Fenway
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Metra > CTA

there are people who won't ride the CTA period but WILL ride Metra

BTW what does PACE stand for? I know METRA is Metro Rail Authority

itsnotrequired
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Metra > CTA

Not if the CTA goes where the Metra doesn't...

MadetoOrta
11-02-2005, 06:22 PM
There's another benefit - further re-development of Bridgport/Armour Square. I'd like to see the Sports Facilities Authority look into developing on top of the parking lots. Leave the first level a parking lot. You could have a Metra stop linked to a 10-story mixed use/condo complex with some restaurant/ retail, it would sell pre-construction. Door to door Metra is the key. [I know it's not a bad neighborhood but people working downtown aren't thrilled with the prospect of getting off at 35th Street and walking home.] In any case, then, you'd have a surrounding neighborhood that blows East Lakeview away. It sounds crazy, but it's being done in other towns. This is great news for the further re-development around the park.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-02-2005, 06:31 PM

PACE stands for one bus every five hours

jortafan
11-02-2005, 06:39 PM

This comment is probably going to stir up a ton of trouble, but it is true.

The kind of people who will ride Metra, but not the CTA, also tend to be the kind of people who won't set foot in Chicago anywhere south of Roosevelt Road because "that" part of Chicago is "dangerous."

In short, they're idiot Cubs fans. They wouldn't come to Sox games no matter what.

And for the record, I routinely use both Metra and CTA. When and if this new station comes to pass, I will now be able to walk four blocks from my home to a Metra station, and be dropped off a mere block from the stadium. It sounds great for me.

maurice
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Dont be Suprised if they have express busses for Northwestern Station soon. It's not smart to make fans coming off that station to walk/ride 5 blocks to the red line.

See hose's 1st post in this thread. The former NW Station is short walking distance from the Clinton Green Line stop.

Viva Medias B's
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I think the Metra Sox station should be from the Southwest Line, which runs atop the viaduct west of the ballpark. That line services Orland Park, Palos Park, Palos Heights, Worth, Chicago Ridge, Oak Lawn, Ashburn, and Wrightwood.

bevrat
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
The Rosk Island line would serve more Sox fans.

Hitmen77
11-02-2005, 08:57 PM

But refusal to ride the CTA isn't the only issue. For people who live in places like Orland Park and Tinley Park (big Sox fan areas), it would be much, much more convenient for them to be able to hop on a train at 35th and take it directly home instead of having to commute north to downtown via CTA and then catch the Metra and take it back south.

hose
11-02-2005, 09:32 PM

The kind of people who will ride Metra, but not the CTA, also tend to be the kind of people who won't set foot in Chicago anywhere south of Roosevelt Road because "that" part of Chicago is "dangerous."

In short, they're idiot Cubs fans. They wouldn't come to Sox games no matter what.

And for the record, I routinely use both Metra and CTA. When and if this new station comes to pass, I will now be able to walk four blocks from my home to a Metra station, and be dropped off a mere block from the stadium. It sounds great for me.

I would think more Cub fans take public transportation than Sox fans, because of the limited parking around Wrigley.

If you take the Metra to a Sox game you are going to end up on either the L or a bus to get to the park.

One thing I wish the CTA would bring back was the A and B trains.

Frater Perdurabo
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
I think the Metra Sox station should be from the Southwest Line, which runs atop the viaduct west of the ballpark. That line services Orland Park, Palos Park, Palos Heights, Worth, Chicago Ridge, Oak Lawn, Ashburn, and Wrightwood.

IIRC, I read somewhere that Metra eventually planned to have the Southwest Service line move over to the Rock Island tracks in the area around 35th Street and then go north to terminate at the LaSalle Street station. If and when that happens, the SWS trains very easily could stop at the new 35th Street Station.

bahn1225
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM

I know that all three C&NW lines ran extra cars before and after the rally.:cool:

hose
11-03-2005, 06:18 AM
I know that all three C&NW lines ran extra cars before and after the rally.:cool:

The Northwest Line (Harvard-Chicago) didn't have extra cars before the parade/ rally and got called out for it in the newspaper, receiving some well deserved bad pub.

eriqjaffe
11-03-2005, 08:59 AM
See the Metra STAR line map posted above. The portion of the route from Hoffman Estates to Des Plaines will run along I-90.

Funding for this was just included in that huge transportation bill that Bush signed this summer. It'll probably start service in about 10 years.But that's Metra, isn't it? That means I have to pay $3ish for the ride to O'Hare, and then transfer and pay another $1.75 for the Blue/Red/Green line ride...

Oh, and PACE stands for:

Plant yourself
A bus is
Coming...
Eventually

Hitmen77
11-03-2005, 09:07 AM
But that's Metra, isn't it? That means I have to pay $3ish for the ride to O'Hare, and then transfer and pay another $1.75 for the Blue/Red/Green line ride...

Oh, and PACE stands for:

Plant yourself
A bus is
Coming...
Eventually

Yes, I think I read there was some internal competition between Metra and the CTA for such a project. Metra's proposal won out. As you already figured out, now that Metra has the go ahead to build this, the CTA is NOT going to build their own line from O'Hare to Schaumburg.

Anyway $3 + $1.75 < $17 for parking.

eriqjaffe
11-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Anyway $3 + $1.75 < $17 for parking.True enough.

I suppose it would have wound up costing $4 to park at the A.H. Blue Line stop anyways...

na_na_na_na
11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
IIRC, I read somewhere that Metra eventually planned to have the Southwest Service line move over to the Rock Island tracks in the area around 35th Street and then go north to terminate at the LaSalle Street station. If and when that happens, the SWS trains very easily could stop at the new 35th Street Station.

You are correct. I read the entire transportation plan for the area. The tracks West of the Cell will no longer be used for Metra traffic. Both the RI and the SWS will have access to the Stop at 35th and State.

rdwj
11-03-2005, 12:03 PM
You are correct. I read the entire transportation plan for the area. The tracks West of the Cell will no longer be used for Metra traffic. Both the RI and the SWS will have access to the Stop at 35th and State.

Do you know WHEN that's supposed to happen? That would make going to game easy for me.

RoundingThird
11-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Plans for Sox Metra stop

Construction of a Metra station on 35th Street near U.S. Cellular Field should start by early 2007, Metra board member Alonzo Hill said.

"The 35th Street station is no longer a discussion, it's a reality," Hill told the Cook County board on Tuesday.

Metra plans to solicit bids for design of the Rock Island Line station by the end of this year, Hill said. An engineering contract should be signed by early 2006.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/south/022syt1.htm

This is great news, however since construction will not start until 2007, we probably won't be able to use it until 2008. That's a bummer.

SoxFan64
11-03-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by eriqjaffe
Oh, and PACE stands for:

Plant yourself
A bus is
Coming...
Eventually

It does not stand for anything.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/general/frequently_asked_questions.asp#faq15

na_na_na_na
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Do you know WHEN that's supposed to happen? That would make going to game easy for me.

08 or 09. Not anytime soon

MadetoOrta
11-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Once the bids go out for the engineering, the real estate speculators and developers will converge. A brand spanking new METRA stop at the Cell will further enhance and expedite the gentrification of Bridgeport/Armour Square. I'm serious about the parking lots. They can be re-developed. I believe they are owned by the cash-strapped State of Illinois. All good for Sox fans.

Hangar18
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
That is EXCELLENT news, both for Fans from the SW suburbs, and for the SOX Marketing Department. The tracks that are directly WEST of the ballpark ......Isnt that a Metra line of some sort also? That should most certainly be a stop too ........ if it is.

ChicagoHoosier
11-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't believe this helps me get to the park one bit after I move to Libertyville.

So, it's either metra/EL for me or drive and deal with traffic. I still think driving is better.

ramblermgr9599
11-04-2005, 01:50 PM
where did you read all the transportation stuff at? I am curious about the plans for the SW line.

skobabe8
11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Does this help me in Indiana?????

na_na_na_na
11-04-2005, 02:54 PM
where did you read all the transportation stuff at? I am curious about the plans for the SW line.

The regions long-term planning for transportation is address on the Chicago 2030 website http://www.sp2030.com/. It covers all areas of proposed transportation for the area for the long term future including new freeways and public transport. It doesn't include dates for any of the initives. That information is more of a guess you can get to by reading lots of different stuff.

Plans specific to the SWS line are discussed on page 152 of this very long pdf http://www.sp2030.com/2030rtp/rtp/policydoc/2030_RTP_as_of_February_18_2004.pdf

Hitmen77
04-04-2006, 09:29 AM
The latest progress (or lack of) on the planned Metra 35th St. stop according to the Daily Southtown:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsedit/x20-ed1.htm

PaleHosed
04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Does this help me in Indiana?????

Nope, because both the South Shore and the Metra Electic Line wizz on past 35th St. right along the Lake Shore. The South Shore's website recommends taking their line into the randolph station and then walking over to state st. and hopping on a red line train going south. -hasn't been worth it to me in the past, but with the Dan Ryan crap it just maybe now.

If they put in this new stop, they should figure out how to make it available for south shore and metra electric riders as well...thats a lot of Sox fans in those directions, especially after the south shore expansion lines to Valpo and Lowell.

Max Power
04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
The latest progress (or lack of) on the planned Metra 35th St. stop according to the Daily Southtown:

I don't know much about the politics of building a train station, but isn't it up to the city/state/federal government and Metra to build the station? The author seems to imply that the Sox have a major say in the building of the 35th street station. I wouldn't think that is the case?

roylestillman
04-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Don't get too excited about this, even if it is ever built. I take the Rock to work every day, and the schedule after rush hour is pretty sparse. If I add five minutes to the downtown departure time there would be a train going south at 9:50 (let's call it the Buehrle express) and another at 11:00 (which would be fine if Fisk was still catching). Station or not, this is not the once every ten minutes El like service that people think it is.

Chip Z'nuff
04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Nope, because both the South Shore and the Metra Electic Line wizz on past 35th St. right along the Lake Shore. The South Shore's website recommends taking their line into the randolph station and then walking over to state st. and hopping on a red line train going south. -hasn't been worth it to me in the past, but with the Dan Ryan crap it just maybe now.

If they put in this new stop, they should figure out how to make it available for south shore and metra electric riders as well...thats a lot of Sox fans in those directions, especially after the south shore expansion lines to Valpo and Lowell.
The Sox could do a lot with the McCormick Place shuttle they already have running. If McCormick Place was open past 10 pm this would be a no brainer. Get off at McCormick Place, hop on a parking lot shuttle bus and you are at the park.

Chip Z'nuff
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM

Metra also promised to restore all the train stations in Beverly/MP. A promise made over 10 years ago. Progress So far... Not so good.

So Metra collects 4.1 million in funding, sits on it for 5 years, then puts in a platform at 35th st. This is the most (alleged) shadiest organization I have ever seen.

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM

A 35th stop on the Electric line--with a bus taking you east on 35th--would be perfect. Taking the train to the heart of downtown, then taking another train back south to 35th is just plain silly. Given the circumstances, we deserve better than that.

PaleHosed
04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
--with a bus taking you east on 35th--
I think i would rather have the bus take me west. It's a little wet to the east :cool:

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
I think i would rather have the bus take me west. It's a little wet to the east :cool:

I always mess up east and west on the boards. :?:

Mohoney
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM

The thing about CTA and Pace bus lines is that they are way too unreliable. In the experience of this humble horsemaster, Metra is way better.

To get to work, I used to take Pace route #381 from Moraine Valley College to the 95th St. Red Line station, take the Red Line from 95th to Cermak/Chinatown, and then take the #21 Cermak bus from the Chinatown Red Line station to McCormick Place.

Now, I get off the #381 earlier, at the Oak Lawn Metra station, and take the Southwest Service Metra to Union Station. Then I walk about 3 blocks to the Quincy CTA station and take an Orange Line train to Randolph/Wabash, and then get on the Metra Electric Line at Millennium Station, which has a stop at McCormick Place.

Believe it or not, option #2 saves me about 30 minutes of travel time because:
A) The #381 usually starts to hit much heavier traffic once it passes Cicero Ave.
B) The #21 Cermak bus has to be the most unreliable line of Mass Transit in the known universe.

Mohoney
04-04-2006, 08:31 PM
The Sox could do a lot with the McCormick Place shuttle they already have running. If McCormick Place was open past 10 pm this would be a no brainer. Get off at McCormick Place, hop on a parking lot shuttle bus and you are at the park.

The Blue Island and South Chicago branch Electric Line riders heading north, as well as riders that start at Millennium, Van Buren, or Roosevelt Rd. Stations heading south, would indeed benefit greatly from your proposal.

This idea makes too much sense. Therefore, you know for a fact that it won't happen.