PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Offseason Power Rankings - AL Central Rules!

spiffie
11-02-2005, 01:36 PM
ESPN has put up their offseason power rankings leading into 2006. I bring it up only because I hope it can put to rest the myth of the weak AL Central, even from the East Coast's in-house tv network. They rank Cleveland #1, and the White Sox #2 in MLB going into 2006. Also, for those interested, the Cubs are #22.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/cle.gif 1. Cleveland Indians (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cle): Can they sign Kevin Millwood? That'll be the key. Other than closer Bob Wickman, the rest of the team is locked up. The Indians may be baseball's best team from top to bottom. They are young, loaded and hungry from their final-week collapse in '05. Cleveland could earn its first Series title since 1948.
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/chw.gif 2. Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chw): Here's believing the White Sox will sign free agent Paul Konerko. They'll also add young Brandon McCarthy to an already solid staff. And with Bobby Jenks in the closer role for an entire year? Watch out: The Sox could be better in '06. At the same time, it's tough to continue one year's glory into the next.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=powerrank2006_early

dcb33
11-02-2005, 01:45 PM
You'd think they'd at least wait until most of the offseason free agent movement was finished before disrespecting the reigning Champions in their worthless rankings, but this is ESPN we're talking about here, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

santo=dorf
11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
:rolleyes: along with such other crap as the a's being 4th and the Mets being 6th.

fquaye149
11-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Lol - ok ESPN. So they lose their best pitcher and are better than us despite us GAINING a sixth starting pitcher in BMAC for the whole of next season.

But but they slugged better than us. Their team OPS is higher! They had more runs scored.

Apparently offense is still the way to go.

Someone should have told Houston and LAA and us that before the playoffs started. Think of how awesome we could have been!

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Wait a minute. Last year the excuse for not ranking the Sox higher was that they hadn't won anything yet. This year they won the whole enchilada...and get ranked behind a team that didn't even make the playoffs. ***???

veeter
11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Will espn ever learn?

ilsox7
11-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Odd, in my world the Power Rankings don't start until next April and then are updated each day thereafter through the month of October.

soxfan26
11-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Will espn ever learn?

Better question is - Will Sox fans ever learn? Find another place to find baseball analysis folks.

MadetoOrta
11-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Is Bobby Howry signed? I thought he's on the FA market.

Madvora
11-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Better question is - Will Sox fans ever learn? Find another place to find baseball analysis folks.
That's the most intelligent post I have ever seen, especially after what we saw this year.

Hawk Harrelson
11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
What a stupid time to post power rankings. No way Indians are #1 if they don't sign Millwood and our Sox won't be #2 if we can't resign or replace Konerko. It's just a stupid time for power rankings, we have no idea where anyone is going yet.

Baby Fisk
11-02-2005, 03:26 PM
What a joke. Who choked bigger than Cleveland right at the end? I guess that hot streak beforehand overrides the final result. :rolleyes:

gf2020
11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
The Indians may be baseball's best team from top to bottom. They are young, loaded and hungry from their final-week collapse in '05. Cleveland could earn its first Series title since 1948.
The hungry thing is what really bothered me. How has that been demonstrated at at all? Couldn't it have the exact opposite effect? Were the 2004 Cubs hungry after their collapse? Don't you think the entire NL East is starving by now because of the Braves? If they were at all hungry, maybe they would have at the very least won the final day of the season when we weren't playing for anythig and they were playing for their lives.

Power rankings are silly enough, but basing projections on factors such as hunger is ridiculous. The Indians haven't played in a month and when we last saw them, they werent playing very well. We went 11-1 in the playoffs. How can you possibly get hotter or more powerful than that?

vafan
11-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Some guys never learn.
Tribe picked above Sox. What was our record against them last year?

CHIsoxNation
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61701

buehrle4cy05
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Power rankings are bogus, bull**** excuses for stories. I guess winning the World Series really doesn't matter...

mccoydp
11-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I learned one important lesson this past season: Power Rankings don't mean ****. Not one bit.

CHIsoxNation
11-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Power rankings are bogus, bull**** excuses for stories. I guess winning the World Series really doesn't matter...

I agree! In the words of Paul Konerko. "Maybe we'll just have to do it again next year.."

:gulp:

itsnotrequired
11-02-2005, 03:47 PM
You'd think they'd at least wait until most of the offseason free agent movement was finished before disrespecting the reigning Champions in their worthless rankings, but this is ESPN we're talking about here, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

No, now is the perfect time! You have to strike while the iron is hot!:redneck

sox1970
11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Some guys never learn.
Tribe picked above Sox. What was our record against them last year?

It doesn't mean anything. I think the Sox have a good team. The Indians have a good team. The Sox were fortunate to have healthy/good pitching. Time will tell if they can go to the well with this same team. Does it matter? We'll still have the 05 championship.

soxfanreggie
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Well, after whuppin' up on the Indians last year, breezin' through the playoffs, and hoisting up the trophy, I'm surprised ESPN has us this high. No doubt the Indians will be a good team, but above the Sox...come on...at least ESPN has the Flubs out of the top 20...I do like that especially with their super high payroll.

SoxSpeed22
11-02-2005, 04:04 PM
This quickly? Interesting.

Unregistered
11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
This quickly? Interesting.Of course. It should be no surprise that ESPN is so anxious to pull that Championship trophy right out of the Sox' hands and say "Who else we got?"

:boston
"The White Sox need to stop living in 2005."

Tragg
11-02-2005, 08:24 PM
2005 Indians = career years from Milwood and Howry. I don't see enough pitching on that team. I like our chances.

Fred Manrique
11-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Wait a minute. Last year the excuse for not ranking the Sox higher was that they hadn't won anything yet. This year they won the whole enchilada...and get ranked behind a team that didn't even make the playoffs. ***???

Who cares guys? We havent even been the World Champs for a week. Let's take it as a compliment that ESPN put us ahead of their darlings like the Yanks, Red Sox, and Cards. I wouldnt mind if we are ranked number two in the power rankings next year when the playoffs begin...

zach074
11-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Wait, this isn't a joke?

batmanZoSo
11-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Good, I'm glad. Let everyone think we'll finish second. I ask when was the last time we were picked first and actually ended up finishing first? It seems whenever we've had high expectations going into a year, we fell on our faces. 2001 is a great example. Also 1984. It should be a hell of a race and a hell of a year, at least on paper. I can't wait. Until they beat us, we're the champions and they're the upstarts. They have yet to prove they can beat us at all. We pretty much manhandled them all year.

Steelrod
11-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Not only do we have to deal with the Cubune, now the parent of the radio station we left disrespects us.
It's a good thing these games are played on the field!

asindc
11-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Who cares guys? We havent even been the World Champs for a week. Let's take it as a compliment that ESPN put us ahead of their darlings like the Yanks, Red Sox, and Cards. I wouldnt mind if we are ranked number two in the power rankings next year when the playoffs begin...

What he said.

A. Cavatica
11-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Clearly, losing Carl drops us down a notch.

bobowhite
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Look on the bright side folks,

at least they are picking the White Sox as one of the two best teams in baseball.

The Indians are a good solid team. I expect the White Sox to beat them in a bunch of closely-fought great games next year.

WSoxFanForever
11-03-2005, 04:31 PM
The Sox thrive on being underrated by idiots. I'm almost sorry ESPN didn't rank them lower :)

doogiec
11-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Power ratings during the season are ridiculous.

I can't even think of a word to describe power ratings determined before anyone even knows what the rosters will be.

RallyBowl
11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I can't wait to get home so I can print that and wipe my ass with it. That's about all the power rankings are good for.

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Good, I'm glad. Let everyone think we'll finish second. I ask when was the last time we were picked first and actually ended up finishing first? It seems whenever we've had high expectations going into a year, we fell on our faces. 2001 is a great example. Also 1984. It should be a hell of a race and a hell of a year, at least on paper. I can't wait. Until they beat us, we're the champions and they're the upstarts. They have yet to prove they can beat us at all. We pretty much manhandled them all year.

good post

PAPChiSox729
11-03-2005, 10:59 PM
I can't wait to get home so I can print that and wipe my ass with it. That's about all the power rankings are good for.

:roflmao:

Ah, what new from ESPN? Could we really expect them to do any better? ESPN sucks.

:smile: