PDA

View Full Version : White Sox play of the year

Fenway
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
mlb.com just sent me this email on what was the White Sox play of the year ( regular season )

THE CANDIDATES
Perez's game-winner - 5/30 vs. LAA
Dye's walk-off homer - 5/31 vs. LAA
Rowand's game-winning homer - 6/12 at SD
Pierzynski's walk-off homer - 6/18 vs. LAD
Thomas' game-winning shot - 6/29 at DET
Dye's catch - 7/25 at KC
Crede's game-winner - 9/20 vs. CLE
Konerko's clinching catch - 9/29 at DET

Watch the plays >>
http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=b0-NZmfQQJc~YRXeWfdxQVJ9H0jLQeR (http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=b0-NZmfQQJc~YRXeWfdxQVJ9H0jLQeR)

Deuce
11-02-2005, 12:08 PM
The win against the Jndjans in September was HUGE! It should get the nod, hands down.

Randar68
11-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Had to vote for something earlier in the season since that is when we won the division and played our best ball except for this past month.

Dye's walk-off HR was HUGE.

Fenway
11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
The win against the Jndjans in September was HUGE! It should get the nod, hands down.

I think it saved the season Tribe wins that game........ ( I don't even wanna think about it )

Baby Fisk
11-02-2005, 12:14 PM
There was a seismic shift in attitude with the 2005 White Sox. No moment defined it more -- and came to symbolize it for fans more -- than this blast:

:walkoff:

It's still the one scene in the Sox year-in-review film that sends chills down my spine.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-02-2005, 12:18 PM
There was a seismic shift in attitude with the 2005 White Sox. No moment defined it more -- and came to symbolize it for fans more -- than this blast:

It's still the one scene in the Sox year-in-review film that sends chills down my spine.

I agree. I think this home run snuffed the demons of 1959. That and they did the game with the simple 1959 graphics; that was pretty cool.

Randar68
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
How can they not put the "Boone-Dance" on the list? LOL!

Why not just put an All-AJ list together?

michned
11-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Agreed again. Crede's home run may have been more important, but nothing beat AJ's walk-off in terms of sheer electricity.

Huisj
11-02-2005, 12:45 PM
I made it to three games this year. Two of them were the biggest vote-getters in this poll. It's real hard for me to pick one.

chisoxfan64
11-02-2005, 01:06 PM

Absolutely!:cool:

Chrisaway
11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I agree. I think this home run snuffed the demons of 1959. That and they did the game with the simple 1959 graphics; that was pretty cool.
They did that the following day also (59 graphics). Another great comeback this year (Rowand).

CHISOXFAN13
11-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Absolutely!:cool:

I don't think you could go wrong with several on this list, but I had a feeling nothign was going to stop us when A.J. hit that bomb.

ElDuque26
11-02-2005, 01:36 PM
i had to vote the JDye because i was at the game and nothing beats a walk-off homer when u are there in person...Also, taking those games from Anaheim, regardless of how early it was, is important for a team trying to prove their strenght, and we showed them it wasnt a fluke in mid-october!

mjharrison72
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
I completely agree with everyone else's voting... I was torn between the Crede shot, which I think sewed up the division for us - without that, we may lose that game and struggle in the last 10 games of the season - and AJ's shot in the '59 throwback jerseys. I voted for Crede... because I was at the Sox-Dodgers game the night before and missed out on the theatrics. :D:

Crede_Fan
11-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I voted for Crede's walk off against the Indians. I think that was the defining moment for Joe to deliver in the post season.

But I also think it could have been AJ's jack against the Dodgers. That was when you saw that if you gave this team a 2nd chance they would make you pay. (as they did all postseason)

:):gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Madvora
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I actually missed the Joe Crede game because I was in an "I can't bear to watch" stage. It definitely worked because they won every game I didn't watch and lost everything I saw during that stretch.
Because of that I am voting for the AJ homerun. That is something I will never forget.

credefan24
11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
I voted for Crede's HR. Mostly b/c that was really the moment in the season when I felt things were going to be alright.

AJ's bomb was huge, given that it capped a 4 run 9th, and I believe most of those runs were scored with 2 outs. Plus, the photo of AJ just flipping the bat is completely bad a@@

jdm2662
11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Crede's shot was the most important play of the season. I would have to go with that.

CHISOXFAN13
11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Crede's shot was the most important play of the season. I would have to go with that.

I could argue that Uribe's play in the hole was as big, if not more important in, the grand scheme of that game.

If he doesn't make that play, Crede's homer isn't even on the list. Several heroes in what was the biggest game of the year.

An unreal game that I will never forget, that's for sure.

Deuce
11-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I just heard the clips over again, and Crede wins it in my book. The hit was long, the game was a must win at the time, and Hawk's call is unbelievable! It sounds like he completely lost his voice. Any play that leaves Hawk speechless (in a good way) is tops.

Deuce

asindc
11-02-2005, 02:57 PM

This is why it wins my vote. I breathed my "big picture" sigh of relief after this game and called my brother to tell him we are going to win the division. I've felt strangely confident ever since then.

soxfan26
11-02-2005, 03:04 PM
No disrespect to Crede's heroics, but AJ takes the cake for me...

SouthSide_HitMen
11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Agreed again. Crede's home run may have been more important, but nothing beat AJ's walk-off in terms of sheer electricity.

You must not have been at the game.

Crede's game-winner - 9/20 vs. CLE
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/09/21/ATCgCU9E.jpgThe White Sox needed a win to help stave off the biggest divisional collapse in baseball history, and Crede hit a walk-off home run. Full story > (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050920&content_id=1217554&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/fan_forum/tyib/y2005/play.jsp?c_id=cws

I was at the Timo Memorial Day and Konerko Game (in Detroit) as well.

Law11
11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Having been at that game and seing how HUGE that game was given when it was has got to make this the clear winner. So much was on the line!

slobes
11-02-2005, 04:37 PM

Ditto

Hitmen77
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
So many good highlights to choose from :cool: .

I'll remember many plays from this year for a long time, but I definitely will never forget watching the Sox late on 9/20, hoping they will turn things around, and hearing:
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARRRRD . . . YYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!! . . . . JOE!....CREDE!

:gulp:

CredeGoldGlove
11-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Crede's walk off against the Indians. Not only would it have put the Indians only 1.5 GB, but it helped boost morale after Jenks blew the game the previous day.

Norberto7
11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Of those listed, I'd vote A.J.'s homer against the Dodgers. However, I'd like to pick one that wasn't on the list. In a year dedicated to doing the small things (perhaps not totally justified, but it was the talk, anyways), I think it's only fitting that the play of the year is not a home run (so 2003), but...a slide. Yeah, Blum's slide against Minnesota. A late inning, heads-up-as-it-gets move in a critical time during the season. It was pretty sweet, and typified "Smartball", so it gets my vote.

hansgruber
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Crede's walk-off homer.
I was there and it was HUGE!!

HotelWhiteSox
11-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I picked Crede's walk off because I was there and it was awesome :smile:

About the list though, better than Aaron's homerun was his gamesaving catch the night before in a one run game. He made another nice one against Seattle

CHEESESOXER
11-02-2005, 06:14 PM
As far as A play of the year, I voted for Crede's jack against the tribe.

I think that was the one that put them down and put us in.

oeo
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
As far as A play of the year, I voted for Crede's jack against the tribe.

I think that was the one that put them down and put us in.

They blew us out the next day...I don't think that took them down. When AJ hit that homerun, you just knew there was something special about this team.

soxfanreggie
11-02-2005, 06:30 PM
As much as I loved AJs homer, I have to give Crede's 2nd homer of that game the play...he just belted that one.

A. Cavatica
11-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Podsednik's home run in Game 2 of the Series.

Lorenzo Barcelo
11-02-2005, 11:39 PM
The AJ homer for sure. The got like 2 hits the whole game and tripled that number in that inning. I got chills watching that game....in a good way!

rbeze09
11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I voted for JOE's blast...but i agree AJ's homerun was very exciting, as was Timo's walkoff hit.. I was there for the TImo walkoff..it was a very excitin day. It was also THomas' 1st game back off the DL, but i recall us blowing the lead in the top of the 9th before coming back and winning it. AJ's home run capped off a huge comeback win, but i think Joe's home run was key to regaining some momentum for the playoffs...I think HAWK would agree....listen to his call again..i thought he was gonna have a heart attack

Chips
11-03-2005, 12:14 AM
In my opionion, it is AJ's walkoff

I hope to God that nobody votes for Timo's game winning hit on Memorial Day.

StillMissOzzie
11-03-2005, 02:22 AM
It's a tough choice-so many pleasant memories to choose from-but I had to go with AJ's walk-off vs the Dodgers. The '59 jersies, the spectre of the Dodgers, it was a come from behind in the bottom of the 9th victory. I just think that this game gave the team a real head of steam, a boost of confidence, and I thought that the division belonged to the Sox after that. Little did I know then...

SMO
:gulp:

Mr. White Sox
11-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Me, at the Dodgers game: "Yhency Brazoban? This guy is totally hittable, thnak goodness Gagne's out."
Cubs fan friend I brought with: "Really? He looks tough."
LAD Die-hards one row in front: "He throws 98. 98! You're totally underestimating him."
Me, Cubs fan friend 15 minutes later: *high fives*
Cubs fan friend: "Wow. After that? This is your year."

DSpivack
11-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Crede's.

I think Hawk's call, joy and relief, not only says it all, but might just be my fave call of his...none other had the sheer, not quite desperation, but enjoyment and relief in his voice than that.

jcw218
11-03-2005, 03:36 AM
I voted for this

Crede's shot in the 10th against the tribe is a very close second.

I was at the June game against the Dodgers with my dad for fathers day and nothing beats a thrilling come from behind rally in the bottom of the ninth when the place goes crazy. This is the series in which the sox sound guys started playing this (http://whitesoxinteractive.com//LetsGoGoWhiteSox.rm).

fox2
11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
All of these were great moments, and I think Crede's HR will probably win. But I am a little disappointed that there are no pitching moments in the list. I think the Sox got to the top this year due to their pitching more than anything. For me, the defining moment of the year was on May 12 against Baltimore, with the red-hot Miguel Tejada up in the 8th inning with two men on and two out in a 3-2 ballgame. Jon Garland threw that wicked changeup on a 3-2 count to get him swinging, and for the first time I knew that Garland was a different pitcher this year, and with these 5 starters the Sox had a good chance to go a very long way.

PKalltheway
11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Crede's.

I think Hawk's call, joy and relief, not only says it all, but might just be my fave call of his...none other had the sheer, not quite desperation, but enjoyment and relief in his voice than that.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. The AJ home run was classic, but when Crede hit that homer, I had a feeling that everything was going to be fine after that. I have never heard the Hawk call a game winning home run or hit with so much joy and relief. He could barely contain himself. Just watch the clip and listen to how he just says "JOE CREDE!!!" without really completing his statement!:D:

TheDarkGundam
11-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Had to give it to the "JOE.....CREDE!!" Homerun

CosmRoks
11-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Either the A.J. shot or the Crede shot,both were defining moments. However i was at the Crede game and that vibe was in the air,Joe saved everybody that night. It was a huge pick me up. That homer put the Indians backs against the wall because without that blast they would have swept.

MarySwiss
11-03-2005, 03:37 PM
I still get chills thinking about Hawk's call on Crede's game-winner. Wow, that was a huge play!

shoelessjoe90
11-03-2005, 11:44 PM
AJ's HR was the best. I watched it so many times on mlb.com. But when I saw it live, there was pure elecitricity in the Cell. Nothing on earth like it.
:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

chisoxfanatic
11-04-2005, 12:06 AM
AJ Pierzynski gets my vote. I love AJ!