PDA

View Full Version : 49th Ward alderman shows Sox love ( sort of )

Fenway
11-02-2005, 10:01 AM
"I'm looking forward to seeing you again here in the Council chambers in June, when we celebrate another NBA championship in Chicago and next October, when we will be observing the Chicago Cubs taking on the defending World Champion Chicago White Sox," Ald. Joe Moore (49th), a lifelong Cubs fan, told Reinsdorf.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/worldseries/cst-nws-sox02.html

MadetoOrta
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
After seeing the Cardinals and the Astros' [up close] pitching staffs, the cubs should feel fortunate next year to finish ahead of the surging Milwaukee Brewers. They either re-build [trade Wood, Lee and others] and start again or break the bank to buy a championship. In light of the cubune's disdain for what just happened on the south side, I see them breaking the bank on mid-tier players in a futile effort to buy a championship.

rocky biddle
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
After the Sox won it all I found myself giving cub fans a full pardon. I figured there was nothing they could do or say to annoy me now that the Sox were World Champs. Then I started thinking about it. What if the Tribune co. does go out and buy a championship just to save face? Then we'd be treated to all the stories about how the ratings were better for their series, how their playoff tickets were more expensive, how their parade was bigger, etc, etc. So now I'm starting to freak out. I've tried for years to ignore the fans of Chicago's other team, but these *******s talking about 2006 like it's their destiny is really starting to piss me off. I'm used to the sheep going into every season with the arrogant, unfounded feeling like it's theirs to lose, but I think I might go postal if they go out and purchase a title just to belittle the Sox's accomplishment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they make no outrageous moves this off-season.

elrod
11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
After the Sox won it all I found myself giving cub fans a full pardon. I figured there was nothing they could do or say to annoy me now that the Sox were World Champs. Then I started thinking about it. What if the Tribune co. does go out and buy a championship just to save face? Then we'd be treated to all the stories about how the ratings were better for their series, how their playoff tickets were more expensive, how their parade was bigger, etc, etc. So now I'm starting to freak out. I've tried for years to ignore the fans of Chicago's other team, but these *******s talking about 2006 like it's their destiny is really starting to piss me off. I'm used to the sheep going into every season with the arrogant, unfounded feeling like it's theirs to lose, but I think I might go postal if they go out and purchase a title just to belittle the Sox's accomplishment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they make no outrageous moves this off-season.

Sorry, but their destiny was 2003. And they blew it.

DumpJerry
11-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Two weeks or so ago I decided to turn over a new leaf and for once be nice to Flub fans. The leaf just got tossed with the yard waste. Got into it with a die-hard Blue fan who kept saying our season was a "miracle." Kept telling me that the pitchers, except for Buerhle, pitched "out of their league and will return to Earth next year" and "the AL Central is a weak division" and "The Indians are real tough" (figure out that contradiction with his prognosis of the division).

He kept harping on the fact we did not really have any .300 hitters or Gold Glove winners. I pointed out that the Gold Glove is political and goes to hitters for some strange reason, but we did have one of the top defenses in MLB. Everytime I gave him something concrete, he would go back to the "miracle" mantra........

I did not think I would care at all about the Pitiful Ones up North next year, but it looks like I will.......:angry:

soxstarter
11-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Well D.J. , you need a mantra too. Just quote elrod!

Sorry, but their destiny was 2003. And they blew it.

DumpJerry
11-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Well D.J. , you need a mantra too. Just quote elrod!
I guess so since "We swept the World Series" had no impact.........:?:

Fuller_Schettman
11-02-2005, 03:43 PM

The problem is that there is just not enough talent to buy a title this year. They would have to trade any big prospects they might have to get proven stars. What are they gonna do, sign Konerko?? That is kind of the beauty here because with the absence of marquee names in the free agent pool this year, 2006 is really ripe for a repeat!

And besides, even if the heavens open and the Cubs actually do the impossible

WE STILL DID IT FIRST

and nothing can ever change that!

DumpJerry
11-02-2005, 03:47 PM
What are they gonna do, sign Konerko??
Not with D. Lee in the lineup. All the good pitchers (a/k/a The White Sox pitching staff) is locked up for 2006, so they will be crying again this August......

MarySwiss
11-02-2005, 03:47 PM
(Groan!) I honestly thought--for about two minutes--that our wonderful victory would make Cub fans shut UP for awhile with all that "Wait 'til next year" crap. Now it seems likely it will only be worse than ever.

I'm not hearing it as much as you guys are--not yet anyway. But wait'll we get close to spring training, and I have to read all the Cub garbage in the Republic and see all these "winter visitors," running around in their Cubbie blues, like a bunch of Woo-Woo clones. Yuck!