PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and Jerry in Springfield tomorrow.

RallyBowl
11-01-2005, 10:29 PM
I guess the Senate and House are having a joint session to honor them. Does anyone know if it would be worth it to go? I am only about an hour away and I have the day off, But what are my chances of seeing anything? They don't just let random people in the Capitol buliding, do they? I think it would rock to see Ozzie, JR, and The Trophy, but I don't want to waste a trip if I'm not gonna get to see anything. Anyone know anything?

mike squires
11-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Can't help you with any additional info but wow...it may be worth the trip. Take a sack lunch, enjoy the cool fall weather at the states capital...and oh yeah, and have two brand new official major league balls for autographs or at least shake their hand. Yes, I'm telling you to stalk them. I'm sure there will be a small crowd trying to do what I suggested.

nut_stock
11-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I was at the Capitol a month or so ago and I was able to walk right in...Just got to pass through the metal detector. Anyways on the tour I was on they let people in to the chamber gallerys on a first come first serve basis.

IlliniSox4Life
11-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I don't know exactly how it works as when I visited the capitol I was young, but I do know they allow you to watch the precedings, so I don't see why you can't watch for this.

Dolly
11-02-2005, 01:12 AM
I guess the Senate and House are having a joint session to honor them. Does anyone know if it would be worth it to go? I am only about an hour away and I have the day off, But what are my chances of seeing anything? They don't just let random people in the Capitol buliding, do they? I think it would rock to see Ozzie, JR, and The Trophy, but I don't want to waste a trip if I'm not gonna get to see anything. Anyone know anything?

I don't know about Ozzie and JR, but the trophies are on display at City Hall. Rumor has it they'll be there for a month, so you won't get to see them.

Viva Medias B's
11-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Actually, wasn't the World Series trophy only on display untill Noon yesterday? As for the State Capitol, you can enter the north entrance but you must show your driver's license and walk through a metal detector. A year or two ago, someone got into the building with a gun and shot a security guard to death. Hence, security has been tightened. When I've been there, it was when the General Assembly was not in session so I could just walk right into each chamber. Currently, with the General Assembly in the fall veto session, I do not know how accessible the chambers are.

steff
11-02-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't know about Ozzie and JR, but the trophies are on display at City Hall. Rumor has it they'll be there for a month, so you won't get to see them.

They left with them yesterday and will be returning in a month. Sounds like they are going to Springfield.

jortafan
11-02-2005, 08:01 AM
When I've been there, it was when the General Assembly was not in session so I could just walk right into each chamber. Currently, with the General Assembly in the fall veto session, I do not know how accessible the chambers are.

There are seating galleries fully open to the public for both the Senate and House chambers. One should be able to just walk right in and watch our "illustrious" legislators at work. Keep in mind that the seating galleries are not large -- maybe 200 people at most can sit at any one time. The point being if this does draw much of a crowd, seating might be at a premium.

balke
11-02-2005, 08:07 AM
The point being if this does draw much of a crowd, seating might be at a premium.

Being originally from Springfield (But out of town for the next few months) I can tell you there won't be a crowd. I've known maybe 10 White Sox fans in the entire city through 20+ years of living there and I converted at least 5 of them. All Cards and Cubs, Springfield barely knows the AL exists.

mike squires
11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Anyone go?

BeeBeeRichard
11-03-2005, 01:35 AM
This thread reminded me of being in the Statehouse in Springfield for one of the most important moments in White Sox history.

I was working the summer of '88 in Springfield, and had the opportunity to go to the Capitol Building near midnight June 30, when the Legislature was looking at the bill to build the new Comiskey Park. I watched Gov. Thompson work the floor into overtime in one of the houses (the bill had already passed the other house), squeezing a few legislators for their votes. Finally a few minutes after midnight a vote was taken and the bill passed. The leader of the house (Rock, I think, so it must have been the Senate) announced passage of the bill at "11:59 p.m." I thought this was just a joke, but later learned that if the Legislature would have gone by state law, the bill would have required greater than a simple majority had its passage been recorded AFTER the official close of session, midnight June 30.

Earlier in the summer I had played basketball with a lobbyist at a local playground, and he was sporting a Florida White Sox T-shirt--a gift from a fellow lobbyist connected to those interested in failure of the bill and the resulting move of the team. So it was probably no slam dunk that Thompson would find the votes--in fact this lobbyist was sorry to tell me at the time that he thought the bill would fail.

Whether or not a move would really have happened, I can say from my own experience that I must consider Thompson a major reason we still have White Sox baseball and this year the world champion Chicago White Sox!

Dolly
11-03-2005, 03:04 PM
They left with them yesterday and will be returning in a month. Sounds like they are going to Springfield.

Oh, woops... got my info from someone who works in the building... you know how rumors go...

hsnterprize
11-03-2005, 06:41 PM
This is a link (http://www.illinois.gov/ioci/archive.cfm) to the Illinois Information Service website, where state-based news reports are filed for radio stations across the state to use. On this specific page, there is a story about Ozzie and Jerry's visit to Springfield. Just in case you click on the link and there's no story indicating such, click on "Archive of Pats Week's Stories" on the menu of the right side of the home page. The page you click on should have the story, "White Sox Owner and Manager Visit Capitol". In fact, click on "extras" on that right-side menu, and you should be able to hear "raw tape" or the unedited speeches both Ozzie and Jerry gave to the State House and Senate.