PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic

soxinthecity
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Well they'll be playing game 7 Yankee's vs. D'Backs on noon friday and it just occured to me how cool it's gonna be when they play any of the White Sox 2005 postseason games.

Banix12
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Well they'll be playing game 7 Yankee's vs. D'Backs on noon friday and it just occured to me how cool it's gonna be when they play any of the White Sox 2005 postseason games.

I won't be holding my breath waiting. Somehow I doubt White sox-Astros will be on a regular rotation at ESPN Classic anytime soon. Unless they want to do a retrospective on 2005 playoff blown calls on "Cheap Seats".

mark2olson
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Which game would be an Instant Classic?

My nominations would be Game 3 or Game 4 of the World Series.

And, how many of you would rewatch Game 3 in its entirity? I know I would.

hsnterprize
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I'd say games 2 and 3 should be "instant classics". Game 2 because of the grand slam and the Podsednik HR's, and game 3 because of the length.

Lip Man 1
11-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't bet on seeing this on ESPN Classic at all.

Lip

oeo
11-01-2005, 09:00 PM

Game 2 as well, the 18th (right?) Grand Slam in World Series history and then the 14th walk-off homer all within a span of 3 innings. It was an awesome game.

DieTrying79
11-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Man, how could a fan of baseball not consider games 2 and 3 "Instant Classics"? To have games end the way they did, in the Series no less, I mean come on...

jdm2662
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Don't hold your breath. It's ESPN we are talking about here. I've seen more Blackhawk games on ESPN Classic than White Sox games... Take that for it's worth.

chisoxfanatic
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I'd say games 2 and 3 should be "instant classics". Game 2 because of the grand slam and the Podsednik HR's, and game 3 because of the length.

They should create a picture of Scott Podsednik stepping on the neck of Brad Lidge. He OWNED Lidge then! :D:

MarySwiss
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM

I'm kind of surprised they're playing this one. After all, we all know who won it. Oh, wait! Maybe they changed the ending!

Seriously, I would think that each of the Sox/Astros games would merit consideration as classics. And each for a different reason.

downstairs
11-02-2005, 08:08 AM
All of this being said... I have seen them replay games from the 1984 World Series quite a bit...

kevingrt
11-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Game two of the World Series easily could be on ESPN Classic. And if they were to play Game 3 it probably woulddn't be in it's entirity.

I also think Game two of the ALCS with dropped third strike fun could be on it too. Just a guess.

Madvora
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Game 2 of the World Series is probably my favorite game of all time.

Foulke You
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't bet on seeing this on ESPN Classic at all.

Lip
Agreed. Anyone remember seeing a replay of any Angels/Giants 2002 World Series games on ESPN Classic? Me neither. If it doesn't involve New York or Boston, they aren't going to replay it.

That being said, my vote for "Instant Classic" would be Game 2 of the World Series.

Dick Allen
11-02-2005, 03:48 PM
The Sox will never be on ESPN Classic, not while they're too busy showing reruns of Cheap Seats.

Mendoza Line
11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
For some reason, they only Sox game I've ever seen on ESPN Classic was a 1997 game against the Orioles. We blew a 10-0 lead and beat them in extra innings. Ozzie Guillen was still playing shortstop.

SOXintheBURGH
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
For some reason, they only Sox game I've ever seen on ESPN Classic was a 1997 game against the Orioles. We blew a 10-0 lead and beat them in extra innings. Ozzie Guillen was still playing shortstop.

I've seen Bo's clinching homer game on Classic a lot.

Banix12
11-02-2005, 04:23 PM

I think I have seen a game a few times from Carlton Fisk's first season with the white sox where they play at Fenway.

PKalltheway
11-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I've seen two White Sox games on ESPN Classic. Game 1 of the 1983 ALCS against Baltimore and the 14 inning thriller in 2000 in which the White Sox beat the Cubs.

PKalltheway
11-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Agreed. Anyone remember seeing a replay of any Angels/Giants 2002 World Series games on ESPN Classic? Me neither. If it doesn't involve New York or Boston, they aren't going to replay it.

That being said, my vote for "Instant Classic" would be Game 2 of the World Series.

I have seen the Angels/Giants 2002 World Series on ESPN Classic several times

Lip Man 1
11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
They have also shown Tom Seaver's 300th win.

Lip

slobes
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Even if they did show Game 3 on ESPN classis, they might skip right from the 9th to the 14th innings. That's what they did for that Indians vs Mariners game in like 2001 when then Indians were down 14-2 after 6 innings; they fast forwarded from like the 3rd to the 7th inning.

Soxfanspcu11
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm kind of surprised they're playing this one. After all, we all know who won it.

I actually thought game 7 of the 2001 World Series was very exciting. I mean, I personally thought the game was over when Rivera came in in the ninth, but Arizona's comeback was pretty entertaining. I think all in all it was a great game, and the fact that it was a game 7 to decide the World Series really does put it in "classic" status.

The bigger problem I have though is the fact that game 4 of this years NLDS between Houston and Atlanta, the one that went 18 innings or whatever was put on ESPN classic the NEXT DAY! That made NO sense to me what so ever!!!

I remember I watched that entire game and it had it's moments (Houston being down 6-1 and coming back, the two out homer in the ninth and of course Houston's walk off to end the game,) However, in-between all that was a whole lot of nothing, just poor baseball.

If that game is a "classic" then all 4 of the Sox/Houston games could have been "classics".

As previous posters have said, I don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting for any of them to appear. The Sox could have been down 30-0 in the 8th inning and come back and win 31-30 and it more than likely would still not be a classic:rolleyes:

Chips
11-02-2005, 11:35 PM
As previous posters have said, I don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting for any of them to appear. The Sox could have been down 30-0 in the 8th inning and come back and win 31-30 and it more than likely would still not be a classic:rolleyes:

And then they would say we won because of poor umpiring.

TommyJohn
11-03-2005, 10:06 AM
The White Sox are committing the sin of not being the Red Sox and Yankees.
Those two September games against Cleveland (the loss, then the Crede
home run) would've been on ESPN Classic already had they happened between
Boston and New York, to say nothing of game 3 of the ALDS against Boston.
I could rant on and on, but you get the idea. If the East Coast boys say it
isn't a classic, then it isn't a classic. Sorry, guys. We're SOL.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I think I have seen a game a few times from Carlton Fisk's first season with the white sox where they play at Fenway.

The reason was it was "Classic Boston weekend" the weekend before opening day. From Friday night until game time on Monday, it was "all Red Sox, all the time". Fisk is still considered as a Red Sox player (he's from NH) and his ESPN SportsCentury was aired right after it.
The actual game was the 1981 opener when Fisk made his return to Boston and Reinsdorf & Einhorn just bought the White Sox. They had the WGN feed from it. (What was that Harry said? "The possum strikes at midnight?" or something when Fisk got that late-inning 2 run shot.)
It was a win-win for ESPN. The Red Sox lost, but it took a former member of the team to beat them.

Still a fun watch. They did play that one pretty often this past year.

skottyj242
11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Has anyone noticed they've been playing a ton of "Classic" Bowling on ESPN Classic lately? It's gotta be because they don't own rights to NFL games.

tacosalbarojas
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I did see some World Series stuff about us on Classic Now. They seem to go to that sort of programming more often than actual old games these days, which in my opinion is too bad. I have to go to NBATV these days to get my ABA classics on now!

tacosalbarojas
11-03-2005, 12:52 PM

I already have.

chisox117
11-03-2005, 02:34 PM

I was able to tape the first turn-back-the-clock game vs. the Brewers off ESPN classic. It was the only Sox game I was able to see in person that year...The Sox had a big lead early that got wasted in large part because of Steve Lyon's lousy outfield defense...It was a great time, even thought the Sox lost. Especially cool was that my friend caught an Ozzie Guillen batting practice foul ball that day!

:gulp: