PDA

View Full Version : 11/7 Si

Mark
11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Don't know if the Illinois cover will look different, but according to the online cover of tomorrow's edition, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are featured, and the Sox are pictured celebrating in the top right corner.

A few historical bits from Tom Verducci's World Series wrap-up:

"The 2005 White Sox raised the profile of the franchise, attaining not just a championship but a level of historical greatness that seemed unlikely even to the players themselves. Greatness? The White Sox? This team, which joined the 1997 Florida Marlins, a one-hit, wild-card wonder, as the only world champions without a .300 hitter or a 20-game winner? Yes, the Sox' greatness was derived from how well they played the game together rather than from their individual talent. The record shows it.

Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox. Those were the Murderers' Row Yanks, one of the iconic teams in sports. The '05 Sox bludgeoned no one. They did not commit murder; misdemeanors were more like it. They did whatever it took to beat you and no more than that. They took the game from you, but let you keep your dignity.

Game 4 was the perfect finale for the team that, as Astros outfielder Orlando Palmeiro said after making the last out, "played a little better than us every time." Chicago joined the '62 Yankees as the only teams to clinch the World Series by winning a 1-0 game on the road. The run they scratched out was classic White Sox baseball, executed with the subtle precision of a pickpocket.

Willie Harris, a bench player who hadn't scored a run for 40 days and 40 nights, smacked a 97-mph fastball from Houston closer Brad Lidge for a pinch-hit single. Harris moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by leadoff hitter Podsednik, reached third on a groundout by Carl Everett and scored on a ground ball single up the middle by Series MVP Jermaine Dye.

It was the 20th time, including the postseason, that the Sox cut the heart out of their opponent by one run on the road. Only the 1970 Orioles, a ball club that rolled to 108 wins, had more such victories (22). The 2005 White Sox also matched that mighty Orioles team with one of the greatest finishing kicks ever. The Sox ended their championship run on a 16-1 tear, including 11-1 in games decided by one or two runs, 11-0 on the road and 11-1 in the postseason. They lost only one game over the final 29 days, the American League Championship Series opener to the Los Angeles Angels 3-2. No other team except those '70 Orioles, who finished 18-1, earned a world championship by winning 16 of its last 17 games."

Iwritecode
11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Don't know if the Illinois cover will look different, but according to the online cover of tomorrow's edition, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are featured, and the Sox are pictured celebrating in the top right corner.

A few historical bits from Tom Verducci's World Series wrap-up:

"The 2005 White Sox raised the profile of the franchise, attaining not just a championship but a level of historical greatness that seemed unlikely even to the players themselves. Greatness? The White Sox? This team, which joined the 1997 Florida Marlins, a one-hit, wild-card wonder, as the only world champions without a .300 hitter or a 20-game winner? Yes, the Sox' greatness was derived from how well they played the game together rather than from their individual talent. The record shows it.

Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox. Those were the Murderers' Row Yanks, one of the iconic teams in sports. The '05 Sox bludgeoned no one. They did not commit murder; misdemeanors were more like it. They did whatever it took to beat you and no more than that. They took the game from you, but let you keep your dignity.

Game 4 was the perfect finale for the team that, as Astros outfielder Orlando Palmeiro said after making the last out, "played a little better than us every time." Chicago joined the '62 Yankees as the only teams to clinch the World Series by winning a 1-0 game on the road. The run they scratched out was classic White Sox baseball, executed with the subtle precision of a pickpocket.

Willie Harris, a bench player who hadn't scored a run for 40 days and 40 nights, smacked a 97-mph fastball from Houston closer Brad Lidge for a pinch-hit single. Harris moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by leadoff hitter Podsednik, reached third on a groundout by Carl Everett and scored on a ground ball single up the middle by Series MVP Jermaine Dye.

It was the 20th time, including the postseason, that the Sox cut the heart out of their opponent by one run on the road. Only the 1970 Orioles, a ball club that rolled to 108 wins, had more such victories (22). The 2005 White Sox also matched that mighty Orioles team with one of the greatest finishing kicks ever. The Sox ended their championship run on a 16-1 tear, including 11-1 in games decided by one or two runs, 11-0 on the road and 11-1 in the postseason. They lost only one game over the final 29 days, the American League Championship Series opener to the Los Angeles Angels 3-2. No other team except those '70 Orioles, who finished 18-1, earned a world championship by winning 16 of its last 17 games."

I dare anyone (present company excluded) to tell me that the BEST team didn't win this year.

koch44
11-01-2005, 05:43 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/11/01/brady.manning1107/cover1107.jpg

:angry::angry:

woodenleg
11-01-2005, 05:46 PM
And on it goes...

No wait - we're ignoring them!!

Some people gotta earn a living and all by catering to people
whose eyes are easily offended. This goes on with every
magazine, BTW.

knocko94
11-01-2005, 05:54 PM
The Sox got the big cover last week, I wasn't expecting another full cover shot.

DirtySouthsider
11-01-2005, 06:04 PM
If you go to SIcovers.com (www.sicovers.com) they show a commerative White Sox cover that you can buy. I'm not sure if that will be the actual cover that will be sold in stores...but it s pretty cool.

Vernam
11-01-2005, 06:07 PM
The Sox got the big cover last week, I wasn't expecting another full cover shot.I never saw a copy for sale of the SI with Pods on the cover. All I could find was the Series preview and the post-Series commemorative edition. :mad:

Vernam

Sly
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
It's not surprising they didn't get this week's cover. If SI is selling their "commemorative edition" at Jewel for $6.99, why would they send it to our house for free? It sucks, because I would have liked everyone in America to get a copy of a White Sox-winnin' SI

1951Campbell
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
The Sox got the big cover last week, I wasn't expecting another full cover shot.

Exactly.

Although I don't know why SI needs several thousand words to point out that Manning : Brady :: Marino : Montana, I thought this was common knowledge. :D:

SoxSpeed22
11-01-2005, 09:59 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/11/01/brady.manning1107/cover1107.jpg

:angry::angry:Not enough of these...
<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>*1000

Mark
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I never saw a copy for sale of the SI with Pods on the cover. All I could find was the Series preview and the post-Series commemorative edition. :mad:

Vernam

Vernam:

Don't know if this will work, but you could give this a shot (and eBay as well) to get the issue with Pods' game-winner on the cover:

Back Issues Back issues are not considered part of a subscription order. However, available back copies can be purchased from the following address:

Sports Illustrated Customer Service
Single Copy Desk
PO Box 60001
Tampa, FL 33660-0001

or call, 1-800-274-6800

Please note that there are different availabilities depending on the issue and consumer demand. Prices will vary. All single copy orders must be paid at the time of order. Please include with your order the name of the magazine, exact cover date of the issue, and number of copies that you wish to order. If you are ordering more than 10 copies of a back issue, please call the toll-free number above to inquire about bulk discounts.

Year Single Back Copy Rate
1954 - 1962 $21.50
1963 - 1972 $16.50
1973 - 1985 $11.50
1986 - through the end of last year $6.50
Issues from the current year $5.00

Vernam
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks! Also, a generous WSI member in the state of WA offered to send me a copy. :gulp:

Vernam

Vernam:

Don't know if this will work, but you could give this a shot (and eBay as well) to get the issue with Pods' game-winner on the cover:

Back Issues Back issues are not considered part of a subscription order. However, available back copies can be purchased from the following address:

Sports Illustrated Customer Service
Single Copy Desk
PO Box 60001
Tampa, FL 33660-0001

or call, 1-800-274-6800

Please note that there are different availabilities depending on the issue and consumer demand. Prices will vary. All single copy orders must be paid at the time of order. Please include with your order the name of the magazine, exact cover date of the issue, and number of copies that you wish to order. If you are ordering more than 10 copies of a back issue, please call the toll-free number above to inquire about bulk discounts.

Year Single Back Copy Rate
1954 - 1962 $21.50
1963 - 1972 $16.50
1973 - 1985 $11.50
1986 - through the end of last year $6.50
Issues from the current year $5.00

clogoodie
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
I never saw a copy for sale of the SI with Pods on the cover. All I could find was the Series preview and the post-Series commemorative edition. :mad:

Vernam

I stopped in a loop CVS after lunch today thinking I might be able to find the 9/31 Pods SI...sure enough, with a little digging through the magazine section, I found one...the only SI of any kind in the rack (there was a display for the Commemorative World Series issue in front). So if people are looking for it, there might still be a few out there...

jdm2662
11-02-2005, 04:23 PM
There were quite a few yesterday at the Elmhurst Jewel in "downtown" Elmhurst.

Brian26
11-02-2005, 09:34 PM

Vernam

It's still out there. Check out grocery stores and Walgreens. I've seen it in a couple of different places over the last few days.

Soxfanspcu11
11-02-2005, 09:37 PM
It's still out there. Check out grocery stores and Walgreens. I've seen it in a couple of different places over the last few days.

Yeah, Walgreens has/had a bunch a few days ago so check them out!

mike squires
11-03-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm STILL waiting for the commorative edition here in Champaign. I would think it would be here by now.

ChiSoxGirl
11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm STILL waiting for the commorative edition here in Champaign. I would think it would be here by now.

Do you have a Sam's Club nearby you, Mike? Maybe try there. Someone in another thread said they got theirs at Sam's... for $9.99 too, instead of the $12.95 cover price everyone else seems to be paying, including yours truly. :redface:

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I dare anyone (present company excluded) to tell me that the BEST team didn't win this year.

That can't be. The best teams in baseball are in St. Louis, New York and Boston.

TomBradley72
11-03-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm over the whole media thing....but they have had the World Series champs on the cover every year 2001-2004 (Red Sox two weeks in a row)....but of course it IS week 9 of the NFL...and the Colts/Patriots only play each other EVERY YEAR. How can a charter member of the American League winning it's 1st World Series in 88 years stand up to such fierce competition? :(:

HotelWhiteSox
11-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't check out the 11/7 SI that this thread is about. If you got chunks from the cover, be aware that there half of a page is dedicated to the 'calls we got' in the ALCS and World Series. So where will the section on the Astro's calls in the NLCS or the phantom home run and iffy umpiring in the World Series be published?

WI-SOX-FAN
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM
my wife picked mine up at walmart in lake forrest area yesterday ...

:)

IotaNet
11-03-2005, 04:35 PM
...The run they scratched out was classic White Sox baseball, executed with the subtle precision of a pickpocket. ...Don't you just LOVE this line?

Very aptly and elegantly stated! :cool: