PDA

View Full Version : AL Gold GLoves announced at 4:00 central time on ESPNEWS

ChiSoxRowand
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Lets hope Aaron gets one. I guess Uribe has a shot.

itsnotrequired
11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Crede.

mccombe_35
11-01-2005, 04:55 PM
:mad:

GOLD GLOVE AWARDED TO JETER

By GEORGE KING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 1, 2005 -- After being shut out for the first eight years of his career, Derek Jeter has won his second straight Gold Glove, The Post has learned.
According to multiple industry sources, the announcement that Jeter is the AL Gold Glove winner will be made today.

Jeter, whose .979 fielding percentage was second to the Angels' Orlando Cabrera's .988 among AL shortstops, was voted the winner by AL coaches. Jeter's fielding percentage was ninth among major league shortstops.

After committing a career-low 13 errors a year ago, Jeter was charged with 15 this past season when his assists...

Stoky44
11-01-2005, 04:56 PM
What about that guy at third...... Joe :crede

tacosalbarojas
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
:mad:

GOLD GLOVE AWARDED TO JETER

By GEORGE KING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 1, 2005 -- After being shut out for the first eight years of his career, Derek Jeter has won his second straight Gold Glove, The Post has learned.
According to multiple industry sources, the announcement that Jeter is the AL Gold Glove winner will be made today.

Jeter, whose .979 fielding percentage was second to the Angels' Orlando Cabrera's .988 among AL shortstops, was voted the winner by AL coaches. Jeter's fielding percentage was ninth among major league shortstops.

After committing a career-low 13 errors a year ago, Jeter was charged with 15 this past season when his assists...
Pass the bucket...we wuz robbed.

gobears1987
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
How about pitchers? Buehrle and Garland are great fielders there

itsnotrequired
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
How about pitchers? Buehrle and Garland are great fielders there

Garcia isn't too shabby either.

gobears1987
11-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Garcia isn't too shabby either.He's good but those 2 are considered the best out there.

itsnotrequired
11-01-2005, 05:07 PM
He's good but those 2 are considered the best out there.

Agreed. I'm just amazed that the team has three such talented fielders.

Crede_Fan
11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Any word yet?

gobears1987
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
40 people are waiting for word here. If a Sox player gets one this thread will explode.

Joosh
11-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Chavez beats CREDE

Torii Hunter, Vernon Wells, and Ichiro beat ROWAND?

Lorenzo Barcelo
No white sox players:angry:

gobears1987
YOu mean Torii who sucks so mujch he injured himself fielding. ****ing bull****.

SoxFan78
11-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Torii Hunter!! He didnt even play a full season. What the ****??

DumpJerry
Flying under the radar again.............

JermaineDye05
such bull aaron should have had that, my god I can't believe it, how do you give it to hunter, he didn't play a full season

The Dude
No white sox players:angry:

I am not surprised.

Pulaski
11-01-2005, 05:13 PM

SUCH BS!

Palehose13
11-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Aren't these all voted on before post-season play? I'm not surprised that Chavez beat Crede, but I think Joe will get his next year. Oh how many years did I see Cal Ripken Jr. get it over Ozzie because of his name...

I thought Rowand might have a chance over Hunter just because of Hunter's injury. But hey, as much as I hate Torii, he's damn good out there in CF.

itsnotrequired
11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Chavez beats CREDE

Crede's DL stint probably hurt his chances.

Corlose 15
The fact that Torrii Hunter won this makes this an aboslute freaking joke.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Like Ed Farmer would say, Crede should win but Chavez had this award wrapped up in March.

Madvora
What about Torii Hunter's?

FedEx227
11-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah Chavez is a better hitter, thus a better candidate in MLB mind...

if that makes ANY sense

but seriously A-Row got robbed, Hunter is great but he was injuried for much of the year.

SoxFan78
Torrii Hunter only played 98 games this year. Yeah, he deserves it!

Huisj
Not too surprising that Hunter still got it even though he missed so much time. A few years back, Palmeiro got on with Texas even though he played DH for most of the year and only had 20 or so games at 1B.

These awards are always a joke.

tacosalbarojas
11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
The fact that Torrii Hunter won this makes this an aboslute freaking joke.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Like Ed Farmer would say, Crede should win but Chavez had this award wrapped up in March.
Seriously, might as well have given this award to Rafael Palmeiro.

itsnotrequired
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
What about Torii Hunter's?

Torri can overcome any hardship.:rolleyes:

Hunter winning it is a joke.

WestSox
11-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised that Jeter hadn't received one in eight seasons. But Torii winning it this year is a joke. :rolleyes:

anoone
11-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Those other players get gold gloves.

The Sox players get gold (championship) rings.

I'm sure they'll take that any day of the week.

nebraskasox
11-01-2005, 05:20 PM
While I don't necessarily agree with no Sox getting GG awards, it reinforces the notion that there are no superstars on this team.

But they are important parts of the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

I'd rather have the world championship than individual honors.

VenturaFan23
11-01-2005, 05:20 PM

:hawk
"That is total BS!"

oeo
11-01-2005, 05:25 PM
While I don't necessarily agree with no Sox getting GG awards, it reinforces the notion that there are no superstars on this team.

But they are important parts of the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

I'd rather have the world championship than individual honors.

Yeah, but you don't need to be a "superstar" to have great defense. Defense gets ignored a lot. But Torrii Hunter who will dive for a ball that he doesn't need, jump for a ball that doesn't need it; just to get that attention. That's BS, and he didn't even play a whole season.

I think Aaron gets ignored because he doesn't dive or jump unless he has to, while a lot of guys will do it just to make the play look pretty. For instance, one play comes to mind in the World Series. Taveras did a fairy jump for a ball that he didn't need to jump for and looked like a complete idiot. I really wish these guys would start missing the ball because they're too busy trying to make the play look nice.

Realist
11-01-2005, 05:26 PM
I believe the voting was done before the playoffs began which would mean we were still under the radar because of our measly 99 wins.

Taliesinrk
11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
This is the biggest bunch of bull**** I think I've heard. Get the **** out of here. You don't want to give it to Crede? Fine, don't. You don't want to give it to Rowand? Fine, **** off. But there is no ****ing way you give it to Hunter over Rowand. Damn. Give it to Ramirez; at least he played the whole season. That is complete bull****. I like Hunter's heart, and his all-out, all-the-time attitude, but he didn't even play 100 games (source: previous poster). Aaron sure as hell did. Some of the voters may remember some of those games: three of them happened in New York this year. Get the **** of here. **** the media..

Here's to being the champs and raising a finger to everyone else...:gulp:

Vernam
11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
These awards are always a joke.Just think of all the arbitration money those nitwit sportswriters just saved us.

Vernam

TheOldRoman
11-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Hunter has no business getting the award when he played in 98 games. However, I am the most disgusted with Jeter winning it. He his a mediocre shortstop. He has horrible range, except on pop-ups. I guess the sports writers were just so heartbroken that lil Derek was "snubbed" from the All-Star team, they had to give him another award he didn't deserve.
Tim Kirkjian was just on ESPNews saying Jeter deserved the award. He remarked on his "unbelievable range on pop-ups":rolleyes:, and said that he makes the spectacular plays look easy. NO! IT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE! He makes routine plays look impossible. Uribe would calmly get to a ball, plant, and throw it in plenty of time. Jeter, on the other hand, would take his time getting to the ball, leap into the air, and hot dog it across his body to get the runner by an eyelash. It's a good thing gold gloves lost their legitimacy long ago. If I cared about these awards, I would be REALLY pissed. I am not even saying Uribe should have won it, but there is no way in hell Jeter was the best in the AL.

salty99
11-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know who actually votes for these things. Kenny Rogers at Pitcher?

Theanticub
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
This is complete crap. TORII HUNTER???????? *** Honestly he didn't even play a full season. Everyone in their right mind knows that Aaron deserved one, not to mention Crede.

This is crap, and I am pissed.

knocko94
Hunter has no business getting the award when he played in 98 games. However, I am the most disgusted with Jeter winning it. He his a mediocre shortstop. He has horrible range, except on pop-ups. I guess the sports writers were just so heartbroken that lil Derek was "snubbed" from the All-Star team, they had to give him another award he didn't deserve.
Tim Kirkjian was just on ESPNews saying Jeter deserved the award. He remarked on his "unbelievable range on pop-ups":rolleyes:, and said that he makes the spectacular plays look easy. NO! IT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE! He makes routine plays look impossible. Uribe would calmly get to a ball, plant, and throw it in plenty of time. Jeter, on the other hand, would take his time getting to the ball, leap into the air, and hot dog it across his body to get the runner by an eyelash. It's a good thing gold gloves lost their legitimacy long ago. If I cared about these awards, I would be REALLY pissed. I am not even saying Uribe should have won it, but there is no way in hell Jeter was the best in the AL.

I agree, gold gloves have lost all meaning to me.

Ol' No. 2
Of all the awards that are given, Gold Gloves are the biggest bunch of crap of them all. Just look at the winners. How many of these guys are truly the best defensive player at their position? Very few.

peeonwrigley
B&B talking about Jeter vs Uribe right now.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-01-2005, 05:34 PM
2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox. A team known for pitching, speed, and great DEFENSE. No gold gloves.

RealMenWearBlack
11-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Managers and coaches

Tekijawa
11-01-2005, 05:36 PM
AP 11/1/05 16:20EST--- WOOD TURNS TO GOLD

Kerry Wood won a Simulation Gold Glove, beating out Mark Prior, the other favorite, to win his third consecutive Simulation Gold Glove. Kerry could not be reach for comment as he dropped the phone and screamed in agony as he picked up the receiver at his home in Wrigleyville. He is expected to miss 4-6 weeks of phone answering but he will begin picking up light objects such as straws as early as November 20th. Hendry seemed to play off the injury, "as long as he can pop in the tape of that 20 strike out game during contract negotiations, well keep paying him!"

Fans Cheered out side of Wrigley, "Woods, Woods, Woods, Woods"

John T. Cub bar patron at Sluggers said, "This is a proud day for all cubs fans, we've all love Kerry Woods since we traded Vance Law for him back in the 80's or something... I loooooooooooove that guy. He's the reason we make the Pre-Season every year, he's AWESOME!!! WOODS, WOODS, WOODS, WOODS!"

Mark Prior was quoted as saying, "Kerry deserves it he went out there and pitched every day against the likes of Dusty Baker and his sons in those simulation games and he played a lot of long toss to boot... Now let me get back to my calve work out!" as he pounded away on his stairmaster at his posh Lakeview town house.

knocko94
11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Who won for second base? I'm guessing Orlando Hudson, he only had six errors. And his Range Factor is 5.84. I guess that's good.

rm0824
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I like how we are all getting upset that Rowand and Crede were robbed. I agree. If you asked Rowand, he's probably still on a high from winning a World Series, something that's not handed out. All these guys made their presence known during the playoffs, maybe next year they'll get their due.

I'm upset, but not upset at being a fan of the World Champion White Sox.

RealMenWearBlack
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Who won for second base? I'm guessing Orlando Hudson, he only had six errors. And his Range Factor is 5.84. I guess that's good.

Yup. Hudson is definitely deserving.

buehrle4cy05
11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm upset, but not upset at being a fan of the World Champion White Sox.

Well said. However,
Torii Hunter?:bs:
Aren't you supposed to play the whole season? Horse****. Rowand deserved it way more than Hunter because he played the whole year.

hold2dibber
11-01-2005, 06:14 PM
The fact that Buehrle has never won a gold glove is enough for me to realize that the whole thing is a crock. He's spectacular with the glove and has a wicked pick-off move. Rogers continues to win because of his name, only. What nonsense.

Randar68
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
This is complete crap. TORII HUNTER???????? *** Honestly he didn't even play a full season. Everyone in their right mind knows that Aaron deserved one, not to mention Crede.

This is crap, and I am pissed.

Do you guys really think Rowand was in the top 5 in voting?

:bong:

If it wasn't Hunter, it would have been Matsui or Shannon Stewart or Garrett Anderson or someone like that...

gobears1987
11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Perhaps they voted him in for the Gold Boxing Glove award. Perfect for decking reporters.:redneck

veeter
11-01-2005, 06:41 PM
The thing that pisses me off about the gold glove, is not that guys win them in certain years. It's the carry over thing. Once you win one you're likely to win at least two more right after that, because of your reputation. It's like voters say, well I haven't seen everyone play this year so I'll just vote for last year's winner. Just ask that over rated Mike Mussina. What a joke.

sox230
11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Once again the idiot voters vote for people with good offensive seasons or based on past reputation. Torii Hunter over Rowand? He played half the year!!!!! Jeter over Uribe? There's your New York bias. Crede gettingshut out by Chavez again, when Chavez had a .966 fielding percentge? Looks like were still under the radar.:angry:

The_Floridian
11-01-2005, 06:48 PM
The thing that pisses me off about the gold glove, is not that guys win them in certain years. It's the carry over thing. Once you win one you're likely to win at least two more right after that, because of your reputation. It's like voters say, well I haven't seen everyone play this year so I'll just vote for last year's winner. Just ask that over rated Mike Mussina. What a joke.

Agreed. Buehrle's had a couple of years where his fielding stats were much better than Rogers, but Rogers had won the last few in a row, so...

This just proves that people still think fielding is overrated enough to not pay any real attention to it.

clean
11-01-2005, 06:58 PM
well, might as well give the NL third base GG to Scott Rolen.:redneck

RKMeibalane
11-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Of all the awards that are given, Gold Gloves are the biggest bunch of crap of them all. Just look at the winners. How many of these guys are truly the best defensive player at their position? Very few.

Agreed. Mark Texiera can't be that much better defensively than anyone else at first base. The last time I remember the best defensive player at 1B winning that award was when Don Mattingly was still playing, and Keith Hernandez before that.

And Torii Hunter? What the **** is that? He didn't play for almost half the season, and he gets a Gold Glove? I guess that means Frank should be American League MVP, since he hit so many home runs.

These awards are a joke. Nothing in baseball is taken seriously anymore. It's gotten to the point where I think they just have the players vote and that's it. Sportswriters and broadcasters don't know anything. Not even the managers can look at these things with an unbiased eye. Have the players vote, since they know what it takes to play the field well every day, and leave it at that.

downstairs
11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Meh.

There is one and only one real award handed out each year.

The 2005 White Sox have that one.

Unregistered
11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
These awards are a joke. Nothing in baseball is taken seriously anymore. It's gotten to the point where I think they just have the players vote and that's it. Sportswriters and broadcasters don't know anything. Not even the managers can look at these things with an unbiased eye. Have the players vote, since they know what it takes to play the field well every day, and leave it at that. Tim Kijurjkijkijikijan was saying that most of the coaches and managers who are voting for GG just have someone in the dugout fill the ballots out - they don't really care who wins. And in the rare cases when they do take the time to fill the ballots out, they just go with the name.

"Oh, Torii Hunter? Yeah, he's good. Check. Chavez? Well, he won last year - I'm sure he's doing well again this year. Check."

Chips
11-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Oh how many years did I see Cal Ripken Jr. get it over Ozzie because of his name...

That would be two in 1991 and 1992. And Ozzie only played in 12 games in 1992, and Cal had a better fielding percentage than Ozzie in 1991. Ozzie won the award in 1990.

GOLD GLOVES
Cal 2
Ozzie 1

WORLD SERIES RINGS
Ozzie 2
Cal 1

Palehose13
11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
That would be two in 1991 and 1992. And Ozzie only played in 12 games in 1992, and Cal had a better fielding percentage than Ozzie in 1991. Ozzie won the award in 1990.

GOLD GLOVES
Cal 2
Ozzie 1

WORLD SERIES RINGS
Ozzie 2
Cal 1

Wow. I guess I better check who won it in the 80's. (edit: Tony Fernandez) Well, from what I remember Cal's name booted Ozzie out of a few All Star game starts. Fielding percentage is great, but IMO range factor is huge.

ChiSoxPatF
11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
These Gold Glove awards are an embarassment to anyone with a sound knowledge of baseball. Here are a few of my greivences:

1) Eight of the nine GG winners are from the AL West or AL East - neither division has teams even remotely as defensive-minded as the AL Central. In fact, these eight winners come from what may be six WORST defensive ballclubs in the American League - Seattle, New York, Boston, Texas, Toronto and Oakland.

2) Eric Chavez is a decent 3B but FIVE STRAIGHT GOLD GLOVES!? Put that into perspective - only 2 AL 3B IN HISTORY have won more than ERIC FREAKIN' CHAVEZ.

3) Torii Hunter missed over 70 games. Bulls***.

4) Derek Jeter is a medium to good shortstop. Despite the weekly montages we are treated to about Jeter's defensive prowess on ESPN, he is nowhere NEAR the best in the AL, let alone warranting the gold glove.

5) Kenny Rogers deserves the Gold Glove for amateur boxing, not baseball. How baseball let this one slip by is a travesty.

6) While I'm still terrified of his arm, Ichiro has undeniably lost a step. To vote him in on the merits of his arm would justify Vlad or Dye winning the gold glove and I don't think anyone would make that argument.

7) Varitek is so mediocre at catching that no one fears his arm and he can't even catch Wakefield. Why he is considered a defensive C by anyone I will never know.

I'm not arguing that any one Sox player should have won it (but I can count 3 or maybe even 4 I can make a reasonably strong argument for) but this team Rawlings has is a monstrosity. If I put that team out on the field I wouldn't honestly be afraid to put the ball in the field or even run on it. Except for having two centerfielders out there this team is not impressive at all - all it has is names.

This is horses***.

rbeze09
11-01-2005, 08:14 PM
its obvious whoever votes for the gold gloves is a group of ****n morons...how could u put eric chavez and tori hunter over our guys---crede and rowand...what a joke...

chavez 15 errors 966% whats a web gem?
crede 10 errors 971% 139 web gems

hunter 3 errors 96 games 987%
rowand 3 errors 151 games 991%

do sports writers even watch the games...or do they just get all excited when they here names like jeter, chavez, hunter.....this is a travesty

2005 WORLD CHAMPION WHITE SOX
WE GOT THE RINGS

MRKARNO
11-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Forget the fact that we weren't in the postseason. The fact that no players on the best defensive team in baseball managed a gold glove is a testament to how much of a joke this award is and how little one should care about such things as a "Gold-Glove Shortstop" or whatever. The voters of this award proved that they are clueless and have not actually looked into which players had good defensive seasons and instead rely on popular perceptions.

SoxSpeed22
11-01-2005, 08:30 PM
I think everything I wanted to say has already been said. So repeat after me...
LOST THE BATTLE, BUT WON THE WAR!
EDIT: Torii can have as many of those as he wants but we'll have more rings than he ever will.
And off topic, if he's traded, I'd rather see him go to the Cubs than the Yankees.

Hendu
11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
You know, I was fuming for about 20 minutes after I saw this list. But think of it this way...even Geoff Blum has something that everyone on the list besides Jeter, Varitek and Rogers would trade all of their Gold Gloves for.

Our guys are getting the hardware that really matters.

Dickie Kerr
11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Your 2005 American League Gold Glove Winners:

Phttp://mlb.mlb.com/tex/images/icon_tex.gifKenny Rogers (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263377&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex)4Chttp://mlb.mlb.com/bos/images/icon_bos.gifJason Varitek (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263167&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)11Bhttp://mlb.mlb.com/tex/images/icon_tex.gifMark Teixeira (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263377&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex)12Bhttp://mlb.mlb.com/tor/images/icon_tor.gifOrlando Hudson (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263178&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor)1SShttp://mlb.mlb.com/nyy/images/icon_nyy.gifDerek Jeter (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263171&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy)23Bhttp://mlb.mlb.com/oak/images/icon_oak.gifEric Chavez (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263311&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak)5OFhttp://mlb.mlb.com/min/images/icon_min.gifTorii Hunter (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263238&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)5OFhttp://mlb.mlb.com/tor/images/icon_tor.gifVernon Wells (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263178&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor)2OFhttp://mlb.mlb.com/sea/images/icon_sea.gifIchiro Suzuki (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051101&content_id=1263278&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)5

As expected, no White Sox, Aaron lost out to Torii Hunter who only played 91 friggin' games this year! :angry:

santo=dorf
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
LOL @ Varitek getting one. Here's a guy who can't throw out runners, and his manager won't let him catch Tim Wakefield. Gee, I wonder why.:rolleyes:

kevin57
11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
It is at least a little unusual that the team--indisputably--with one of the best defenses in the league has no GG's. I guess that only cements this as a TEAM effort.

chaerulez
11-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I think Jeter getting his 2nd straight GG is just plain stupid. How stupid do they think fans are? Jeter has terrible range, it only looks like he makes great plays because he has to make a jump throw at the last second to get the guy out because he couldn't get to a routine grounder. The thing he is good at is getting fly balls. He would probably make a great center fielder. If the Yankees were so committed to winning, they should explore in moving Jeter to CF and A-Rod back to SS. But oh wait, Jeter is the god of everything... I forgot.

Hawk Harrelson
11-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't mind the fact that the white sox did not get any individual awards this year. Look at it this way, how many times does a team win a world series and yet not a single player on the team wins any kind of individual award? It embodies the spirit of this team, they played as a team the whole year and won a world series as a team, no award is anything close to a title. Who cares about a bunch of BS media awards that are voted on by biased journalists. Jeter and Chavez can have their gold gloves, Uribe and Crede will take their rings instead.

Hawk Harrelson
11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
As expected, no White Sox, Aaron lost out to Torii Hunter who only played 91 friggin' games this year! :angry:

I don't think anybod would argue that Rowand is better than Hunter, but you have a point that Hunter played a little over half a season and got the award. Still I don't have a big problem with this as you have to admit Hunter is a great outfielder, one of the best if not the best playing right now.

ChiSoxGirl
11-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I am not surprised.

Sentiment echoed.

Did anyone really think we'd get any national recognition, even AFTER winning it all?! :angry:

I honestly thought Rowand had a good shot at one, especially after his performance in New York back in August in front of the national media, and when Hunter went down. Just how is it that a guy who doesn't play a full season gets such prestigious recognition as a Gold Glove?? :angry: :mad:

A. Cavatica
11-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Torrii Hunter only played 98 games this year. Yeah, he deserves it!

Yes, but in the 98 games he played, he made even fewer errors than Rowand did in the 160ish games he played.

A. Cavatica
11-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Yes, but in the 98 games he played, he made even fewer errors than Rowand did in the 160ish games he played.

Actually, I meant to put that in teal...but it turns out Hunter committed 3 errors in 93 games, Rowand 3 errors in 157. Rowand's range factor was higher (2.57 to 2.51) and so was his zone rating (.939 to .891). Hunter had significantly more assists and double plays (9/4 vs. 3/1) despite the playing time discrepancy. But (subjectively) Rowand's got a good arm and players don't run on him, so I don't put much stock in that.

ChiSoxRowand
11-02-2005, 01:05 AM
First off let me say that players, coaches, and managers vote for gold gloves, not the media. Even Kurijan said that sometimes the voters don't really put thought into their ballots. A few thoughts.

1) Torii Hunter winning a gold glove is a complet joke. There are many guys that should have been chosen over him.

2) Jeter shouldn't have won the GG. I thought Orlando Cabrera should have won it, he only had 7 errors, while the person with the next lowest total (Jeter) had 15. Uribe also deserved it over Jeter.

3) Jason Varitek won a gold glove!!:angry: :angry: That might be a bigger joke than Hunter winning it. Perfect example of the voters choosing the better offensive player.

4) I think they should give gold gloves for LF, CF, and RF instead of picking 3 outfielders. They are 3 different positions.

TDog
11-02-2005, 01:20 AM

What really hurt Crede's chances, an Rowand's chances etc, was that the coaches and managers who voted apparently voted on reputation. They didn't seem to care about voting for the people who played the best defensive seasons at their positions. It's like they said, who cares?

If I've repeated something already expressed in this long thread, pardon my redundancy.

SoxSpeed22
11-02-2005, 01:21 AM
What really hurt Crede's chances, an Rowand's chances etc, was that the coaches and managers who voted apparently voted on reputation.Figures.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-02-2005, 02:33 AM
I think Eric Chavez and Joe Crede are excellent defenders and although I like Crede for obvious reasons I don't have much of a problem with that selection.

Jeter had a second solid season in a row but he wasn't on par with Uribe this season. Uribe's arm and glove have saved more runs in the infield than possibly any other player this season. He carried us in the field in the playoffs with his partner Joe Crede. They were the reincarnation of Robinson and Belanger this October.

Teixeira and Hudson were good choices on the other side of the diamond. I hope Konerko had some consideration as he is one of the best first baseman in the game. I like Ivan Rodriguez over Jason Varitek - for Gold Glove at least. I wouldn't ahve had a problem with Mauer there either - he is a very good catcher when he is able to play.

In the OF they do not give one for each of the three positions but rather the three top OFers which usually gives CFers the advantage.

I think Rowand was robbed - he played more games than Hunter and did a better job. I would have voted Rowand, Wells and Damon.

So I would have flipped Rowand for Hunter (who missed 69 games) and Uribe for Jeter and Damon for Ichiro. All three of the players were voted on reputation and hype. Pitcher I have no opinion as they only play 30 games at most. Buehrle is a very good fielder and I wonder if he had any consideration.

It is pathetic that the team with the best defense in the league had no winners. I guess the White Sox will have to open a can of whup ass yet again next season to finally get some consideration.

fquaye149
11-02-2005, 02:48 AM
I think Eric Chavez and Joe Crede are excellent defenders and although I like Crede for obvious reasons I don't have much of a problem with that selection.

Jeter had a second solid season in a row but he wasn't on par with Uribe this season. Uribe's arm and glove have saved more runs in the infield than possibly any other player this season. He carried us in the field in the playoffs with his partner Joe Crede. They were the reincarnation of Robinson and Belanger this October.

Teixeira and Hudson were good choices on the other side of the diamond. I hope Konerko had some consideration as he is one of the best first baseman in the game. I like Ivan Rodriguez over Jason Varitek - for Gold Glove at least. I wouldn't ahve had a problem with Mauer there either - he is a very good catcher when he is able to play.

In the OF they do not give one for each of the three positions but rather the three top OFers which usually gives CFers the advantage.

I think Rowand was robbed - he played more games than Hunter and did a better job. I would have voted Rowand, Wells and Damon.

So I would have flipped Rowand for Hunter (who missed 69 games) and Uribe for Jeter and Damon for Ichiro. All three of the players were voted on reputation and hype. Pitcher I have no opinion as they only play 30 games at most. Buehrle is a very good fielder and I wonder if he had any consideration.

It is pathetic that the team with the best defense in the league had no winners. I guess the White Sox will have to open a can of whup ass yet again next season to finally get some consideration.

No offense, and please please please don't take this the wrong way but:

you taking Damon for gold glove really taints everything you have to say here, and cheapens your point. You need to reevaluate selecting a guy who has a worse arm than Frank Thomas for an outfield gold glove.

Not to mention his barely adequate technique in all other regards of CF

Mr. White Sox
11-02-2005, 02:51 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg "Hey guys, what's up?"
:crede:rowand"Sup."
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg"Check THIS out!" http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nyLxOkjNhvsJ:http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/outoftown/central-leatherstocking/cooperstown/09goldglove.jpg
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg"Cool, huh?"
:crede :rowand "Yeah, but check THIS out!" http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:r7t-02w-OCkJ:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f5/Im_ws_trophy.jpg
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg"..."

Blueprint1
11-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Buehrle really got screwed here. Rowand and crede too but Buehrle the worst.

Banix12
11-02-2005, 03:14 AM
I like Ivan Rodriguez over Jason Varitek - for Gold Glove at least. I wouldn't ahve had a problem with Mauer there either - he is a very good catcher when he is able to play.

Do you think Ivan Rodriguez got punished this season for the less than stellar season hitting? I know it's a gold glove for defense but I have to think Tek got rewarded partially for his offense here. He's not a horrible catcher, and i know he doesn't catch wakefield because of the knuckleball, but how can the gold glove go to a guy who isn't even the best defensive catcher ON HIS OWN TEAM.

A guy winning a gold glove who is replaced once or twice a week for defensive purposes, what a joke.

Erik The Red
11-02-2005, 03:30 AM
I can't be arsed to read the other 6 pages of this thread, so I don't know if it's been said already, but I'd just like to say this:

So a team that won the World Series due in large part to their defensive play has zero, count 'em ZERO Gold Gloves this year.

Oh well, It's OK.... hard to fit a ring over one 'o them things, anyway. :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-02-2005, 03:59 AM
No offense, and please please please don't take this the wrong way but:

you taking Damon for gold glove really taints everything you have to say here, and cheapens your point. You need to reevaluate selecting a guy who has a worse arm than Frank Thomas for an outfield gold glove.

Not to mention his barely adequate technique in all other regards of CF

Agreed - That is what I get for posting after 1:00am. I was looking at the data sort from MLB.com for OFers and Damon was on top for most chances and I typed him in not once but twice. I will not repeat Peter's mistake and say he is a GG for a third time (in fact during the ALCS I kept saying we should run on Damon everytime it's hit to him - he does have great range but his arm is terrible). If I was in a sandlot and we were picking sides and Hunter was out (since he was a good portion I am throwing him out) Ichiro would definately be Top 3. His bat dropped off but looking at his fielding he actually had an even better year so I stand corrected (though he does have very good range and Rowand can also stand criticism for some of the routes he chooses out there). I also like Crawford for covering tons of ground.

Corrected Gold Gloves:

Infield: Swap Uribe for Jeter the rest are ok though Joe is a tossup with Chavez but both are excellent.

Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez or possibly Mauer for Varitek.

Pitcher: Don't really care though where is the love for Buerhle?

OF: Aaron Rowand, Vernon Wells, Ichiro

Do you think Ivan Rodriguez got punished this season for the less than stellar season hitting? I know it's a gold glove for defense but I have to think Tek got rewarded partially for his offense here. He's not a horrible catcher, and i know he doesn't catch wakefield because of the knuckleball, but how can the gold glove go to a guy who isn't even the best defensive catcher ON HIS OWN TEAM.

A guy winning a gold glove who is replaced once or twice a week for defensive purposes, what a joke.

Agreed on all counts. GG is a popularity contest and when in doubt (which it seems the voters usually are) many get these wrong. Varitek isn't horrible - he just isn't the best. Ivan's drop off at the plate clearly hurt him. He had an even BETTER year defensively throwing out 16 MORE runners while allowing 7 less stolen bases and dropping his errors from 11 to 4 while playing in the same number of games.

stl_sox_fan
11-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I have to add my two cents here. I was teed off last year and posted when El Caballo didn't get the GG with a 1.000% fielding average in left field. Rowand not getting the award aside, to give a guy an award for playing 60% of the season is just whack. Because he was playing so well until his injury? Okay all, don't be suprised when they announce the AL Cy Young Award winner and his name is Roy Halladay. Time for a senate judiciary hearing!!!!!
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6134.jpg
"I was on pace for league leading 24 wins before my injury"

:gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
11-02-2005, 09:11 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg "Hey guys, what's up?"
:crede:rowand"Sup."
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg"Check THIS out!" http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nyLxOkjNhvsJ:http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/outoftown/central-leatherstocking/cooperstown/09goldglove.jpg
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg"Cool, huh?"
:crede :rowand "Yeah, but check THIS out!" http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:r7t-02w-OCkJ:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f5/Im_ws_trophy.jpg
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116338.jpg"..."

AWESOME!!!!

fquaye149
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I have to add my two cents here. I was teed off last year and posted when El Caballo didn't get the GG with a 1.000% fielding average in left field. Rowand not getting the award aside, to give a guy an award for playing 60% of the season is just whack. Because he was playing so well until his injury? Okay all, don't be suprised when they announce the AL Cy Young Award winner and his name is Roy Halladay. Time for a senate judiciary hearing!!!!!
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6134.jpg
"I was on pace for league leading 24 wins before my injury"

:gulp:

Look - Carlos has improved his fielding greatly, but he did not deserve the GG last year. Especially when you consider that outfield position doesn't matter for GG, there was no way you could vote him over the ones who won it.

Meanwhile, Halladay will probably not win the Cy Young, but he honestly deserves it more than anyone on our staff. If I were ranking the Cy Young candidates based on who usually wins Cy Young it would likely be

1. Colon
2. Halladay
3. Buehrle
4. Rivera
5. Garland.

maybe in reality Buehrle or Rivera will be 2nd instead of Halladay, but the point is, don't get too indignant about things that aren't really as big of slights as they appear.

voodoochile
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Completely agree. I am shocked that not a single Sox player won. IMO, Crede, Uribe, Gooch, Rowand and Buehrle were all contenders with the strongest cases for Crede, Uribe and Buehrle.

TDog
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I feel bad for Rowand. And, sure, Crede deserved it. If the voting was done after the World Series, Crede would have received more consideration, although many of the voters probably weren't paying attention to the postseason. I'm not sure if either have contract clauses that pay them bonuses the way Toriiiiiiiiiii has. Gold gloves are all about reputation. I listened to Mariners games this year, and the announcers were talking about Ichiro having a poor year defensively. As people have pointed out, at least Sox players have something more to show for the season. They were part of a great team.

Unfortunately, the gold gloves were the only individual awards Sox players really deserve. There is manager of the year and executive of the year, both awards that should go to the Sox, but Sox players deserved more individual recognition.

RadioheadRocks
11-02-2005, 03:13 PM

KENNY ROGERS???!!! ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME????!!!

The only thing he should win is a pair of matching bracelets to be worn while his arms are behind his back.

'Nuff said!!!

bstagl
11-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Torii Hunter makes no sense. Rowand played over 500 innings more than Hunter and had a Fielding percentage of .992 compared to Hunters .987. Both had 3 errors all season. No one plays a better center field. Ya think this might be political?? :cuss:

TFLEM33
11-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Hunter getting a gold glove over Rowand?!?!? This is freakin' ridiculous. The guy missed about half the year. Sure, he is a great centerfielder, but come on. That is like giving Willie Mays another gold glove this year because he was a great centerfielder. Aaron got robbed. Oh well, this is just a petty individual award. We WON the award everyone else is dying to get.

soxfanreggie
11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
My roommate is a Twins fan, and he says that Hunter deserved it for the time he played. Then I told him that Rowand played 500 more innings and had the same amount of errors and a much better fielding percentage...needless to say, he stopped talking. Gold glove awards are overrated anyway...I don't think A-Row would trade his World Series ring for 10 Gold Gloves!

XplodingScorbord
11-02-2005, 05:38 PM
That is like giving Willie Mays another gold glove this year because he was a great centerfielder.

:roflmao: Awesome!

CHEESESOXER
11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
The fact that Buehrle has never won a gold glove is enough for me to realize that the whole thing is a crock. He's spectacular with the glove and has a wicked pick-off move. Rogers continues to win because of his name, only. What nonsense.

Maybe they were afraid that rogers would beat them up.