PDA

View Full Version : SI's Sportsman Of The Year - Ozzie Guillen?

MadetoOrta
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I just went on cnnsi.com and almost puked after reading the piece on "Why Jason Giambi should be SI's Sportsman of the Year." Heck, for bringing a World's Championship to Chicago for the first time in 88 years, having the courage to speak his mind, for showing the baseball world you don't need $100 million dollar players to win it all and for being a shining light to all Latin American ballplayers, Ozzie Guillen is my choice for SI Sportman of the Year.

There's a way to make your choice known by email. Anyone want to join me?

Hawk Harrelson
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Preach on brother. Ozzie deserves it. Giambi!??! What a joke. Yeah so he had a good year, so what. Just because he at one point used roids doesn't make his comeback some kind of miracle.

Unregistered
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Jason Giambi?!? You've got to be ****ing kidding me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:chunks

"Yes he was a black eye for the sport, but he plays for the Yankees and he has that arm tattoo! Did I mention he plays for the Yankees?"

Meanwhile, Joe ****ing Jackson still isn't in the Hall...

WestSox
11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Sure, why not? Ozzie took a good-but-not-great team and turned them into championship team. Maybe not on par with what Herb Books did, but certainly worthy of an award.

MERPER
11-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Never thought about it before, but I would think he'd be a great choice.... I'm with ya!

credefan24
11-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah, he should get it but, nobody watched the World Series, so he couldn't have done that great of a job. 99 wins? big deal, St. Louis won 100.

eriqjaffe
11-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's what I submitted:

Perhaps I am biased, but I would make a case for Dustin Hermanson. He was a player whose signing by the White Sox was viewed with a resounding "meh" by the media. His role was anticipated as being a swing-man - providing some long relief, spot starting, set-up, maybe close a few games, whatever. The piching equivalent of a utility infielder.

When AL hitters finally realized that it was possible to hit Shingo Takatsu's changeup 3,234 feet, Hermanson was called upon to take over the closer's role - and he exceeded all expectations, converting 34 of 39 save opportunities. When his back began to limit his effectiveness in August and September, Ozzie Guillen handed the closer's role to rookie Bobby Jenks (whom had recently been called up from AA), and Hermanson never said one word of complaint.

Hermanson displayed exemplary sportsmanship, and deserves recognition for such behavior.

NonetheLoaiza
11-01-2005, 04:39 PM
No way in hell Giambi should win that award. That is like praising cheaters. So the guy gets sportsman of the year because he did steroids? He cheated, and in no way shape or form should that be rewarded. He put together a good season and faced alot of adversity in trying to recreate his image. He's still a cheater in my eyes...

spiffie
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Sportsman of the Year should go to the 2005 Chicago White Sox. Every single one of them, for letting the world see that there is still a place for a TEAM in the me-me world of baseball.

IlliniSox4Life
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
I agree that ANYONE on the White sox deserves it more than Giambi. Heck I deserve it more than Giambi, and I only play pick up games here and there. Give it to Ozzie, give it to Paulie for not spotlighting his contract talks, give it to Rowand for giving up his body for the out. Give it to Ozzie Jr for being one hell of a translator but DONT GIVE IT TO GIAMBI.

oeo
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, lets reward Giambi and everyone else for cheating! WooHoo! We love steroids!

Giambi should not ever be considered for an award ever again. I'll be pissed if this guy gets into the Hall of Fame. The guy cheated, he shouldn't get anything for making a "comeback". He wouldn't have needed a comeback or we might not even know who he is without steroids.

JayMoroniotti
11-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Giambi wins it??? Hell no. Think of it this way. Had Giambi never taken steroids in the first place he wouldn't be this big comeback success story, and would not warrant any extra media attention or sportsman of the year honor.

How about Pete Rose as well?? OH OH I KNOW!! Bill Romanowski!!

WestSox
11-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, lets reward Giambi and everyone else for cheating! WooHoo! We love steroids!

Giambi should not ever be considered for an award ever again. I'll be pissed if this guy gets into the Hall of Fame.

His numbers are not HOF-worthy, so you have nothing to worry about.

nebraskasox
11-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Sportsman of the Year should go to the 2005 Chicago White Sox. Every single one of them, for letting the world see that there is still a place for a TEAM in the me-me world of baseball.

I like this idea!

MadetoOrta
11-01-2005, 06:17 PM

I think this is what WHITE SOX ARMY should be called to promote. I love this. We should all just block this off and send it in. Great call! Let's do it.

Railsplitter
11-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Ever since Flo-Jo and Steffi Graff were snubbed in 1988, I've taken the Sportsman.woman of the year with a grain of salt.

hellenicsoxfan
11-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Here is my submission to SI. It's a little long, but I felt it needed to be said.

This year there should be Sportsmen of the Year and the sportsmen should be the World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. Before the season started, no one picked the White Sox to do much. In fact, most of the self-appointed geniuses picked them to finish 3rd or 4th in their own division. But from the first day of spring training, GM Kenny Williams, manager Ozzie Guillen and the coaching staff set their sights higher. They set their sights on a championship and they let their team know that “Win or die trying” was more than a marketing slogan. It was the way they were going to play.

When the season started, the White Sox came out on fire. They were pitching, hitting, running, stealing bases, taking extra bases, playing great defense, etc. Quickly, they had the best record in the major leagues. Lucky said some experts. It won’t last said others. Just keep playing baseball the way it should be played, Ozzie told the players. They did and they kept winning. As they kept playing great baseball and as they started running away with the division, naturally they were mostly ignored. While SI and Sporting News did cover stories on the White Sox, ESPN and FOX let it be known that if the name wasn’t Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs, they didn’t care. So the Sox kept winning. The playoffs seemed assured. And they were ignored.

Then, the Cleveland Indians went on a torrid streak. They seemingly could not lose. The White Sox lead was dwindling quickly. Suddenly, ESPN noticed the Sox and could not wait to yell out Sox Collapse every night. But the White Sox kept fighting and never gave up. They persevered and ended up winning the division. After clinching the division, with little to actually play for, they went into Cleveland the last weekend and swept the Indians right out of the playoffs.

When the playoffs started, they faced the defending champion Red Sox and their mighty lineup. The White Sox shut them down and swept them. Next they had to face the Angels. Many “experts” said the Angels were the best team in the American League. After losing the first game, the Sox starters dominated the Angels with four straight complete games, the Sox kept getting timely hits and the defense was stellar. The Angels were knocked out 4-1. Next came the Astros, and as good as the Sox starting pitching was, they still weren’t as good as Clemens, Pettite and Oswalt said the experts. The White Sox went out, beat all three of them and swept the World Series. So in succession, the White Sox eliminated the Indians, Red Sox, Angels and Astros with a record of 14-1. Their postseason record was an amazing 11-1. The White Sox clearly proved to be the best TEAM in baseball.

In these times of millionaire prima donna baseball players, the White Sox were a team with no superstar. No one hit 60 homers, no one had 140 RBIs, no one won 20 games, no one saved 45 games. But they had 25 players who when Ozzie called their name, were expected to contribute. And they did contribute. Every player contributed to a great season, great playoff run and World Series championship. They didn’t have the best talent but they were the best TEAM. They proudly represented BASEBALL, they epitomize the word TEAM and they are true SPORTSMEN. And as a team, they should be selected Sportsmen of the Year.

PKalltheway
11-01-2005, 08:08 PM

They gave it to Boston last year, why not us this year?

peeonwrigley
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
:reinsy

"I think it would cap off my year nicely"

TommyJohn
11-01-2005, 09:03 PM
They gave it to Boston last year, why not us this year?

Because they aren't Boston! And how many magazines will that sell? 10?
Yeesh! Better to go with a much better inspirational story of a man
being down and overcoming tremendous odds to make a heroic comeback...
JASON GIAMBI!!!

SoxSpeed22
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Yeesh! Better to go with a much better inspirational story of a man being down and overcoming tremendous odds to make a heroic comeback...
JASON GIAMBI!!!http://www.computing.dcu.ie/computety/2005/tsmyth-cty/image40.jpg
"Jason Giambi, kiss my a$$! I've got a better comeback coming!"

Jenks4Pres
11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Ozzie............Ozzie..................Ozzie!

soxfanreggie
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Seeing Giambi as Sportsman of the Year would make me puke. I would love to see the Sox as a team with their WS trophy on the cover! :D:

TommyJohn
11-02-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.computing.dcu.ie/computety/2005/tsmyth-cty/image40.jpg
"Jason Giambi, kiss my a$$! I've got a better comeback coming!"

No! Let it go, Stalllll-yun!