PDA

View Full Version : Blum files for free agency

The_Floridian
11-01-2005, 09:55 AM
No real surprise here.

And Shammy's available too!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmrEIbMRHgVfpQ4W9BD9FmM5nYcB?slug=ap-freeagents&prov=ap&type=lgns

SOXintheBURGH
11-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Can't wait for the 130 responses concerning why we must not let Blum go.

Good luck out there, Geoff, and thanks.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Can't wait for the 130 responses concerning why we must not let Blum go.

Good luck out there, Geoff, and thanks.Blum has value because he can back up all 4 IF positions. This saves you a roster spot that you can use for another need. The Sox will need that extra roster spot for Frank Thomas, because they're going to have to carry another DH as insurance.

FA filing is a formality. No one is going to be offering big $$$. The Sox can probably re-sign him for very little.

The_Floridian
11-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Blum has value because he can back up all 4 IF positions. This saves you a roster spot that you can use for another need. The Sox will need that extra roster spot for Frank Thomas, because they're going to have to carry another DH as insurance.

FA filing is a formality. No one is going to be offering big $$$. The Sox can probably re-sign him for very little.

Could be, but don't forget that Blum's value has never been higher than it is right now. He's this year's Dave Roberts, a bench player whose timely contribution has greatly upped his stock. Teams will come with offers to either have him start, or at least have a serious opportunity to contend for a starting job. That's something the White Sox can't promise.

I don't think the money thing will be an issue. But Blum has a career to think about. If he waits and plays the bench tfor us again his year, he won't be worth as much next offseason. He knows he'll never look this attractive to teams again, and for a utility guy like him, that has to be the number one consideration.

Good luck, Geoff. And thanks. I hope you're a starter somewhere next year.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Geoff Blum is a weaker version of Tony Graffinino. You could throw Graf out there close to half a season and he wouldn't hurt you much. Blum should be used 40 games a season. Good fill in as needed (i.e. Crede's broken finger). Not a starter. If we can sign him within our budget fine, if not or if he wants more playing time and cash ala Tony G than thanks for the Game 3 memories and enjoy your World Series share (about half his annual salary) - you've earned it.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Not our highest priority....but if the money is right...I'd like to see him back with the team....it's great having a guy on the roster that can play all 4 IF positions/LH bat..especially when one of our roster spots will be taken by a "DH Only"...Frank Thomas.

munchman33
11-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd like Blum back, but only if Graf won't sign as a backup. Graf is ideal because he could play all four infield positions, and provides a nice stick off the bench.

MUsoxfan
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I'd like Blum back, but only if Graf won't sign as a backup. Graf is ideal because he could play all four infield positions, and provides a nice stick off the bench.

IIRC the only reason he didn't stay with the Sox before is because of his desire to be a starter. I believe he ONLY wants to be an everyday 2B

mike squires
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Blum will be always be the Astro version of our Tito Landrum. THey'll be talking about him for a long time.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Could be, but don't forget that Blum's value has never been higher than it is right now. He's this year's Dave Roberts, a bench player whose timely contribution has greatly upped his stock. Teams will come with offers to either have him start, or at least have a serious opportunity to contend for a starting job. That's something the White Sox can't promise.

I don't think the money thing will be an issue. But Blum has a career to think about. If he waits and plays the bench tfor us again his year, he won't be worth as much next offseason. He knows he'll never look this attractive to teams again, and for a utility guy like him, that has to be the number one consideration.

Good luck, Geoff. And thanks. I hope you're a starter somewhere next year.I don't think too many GM's are going to be suddenly drooling over Geoff Blum because of one HR. His value is as a utility player. He shouldn't be starting anywhere except on a bad team.

jdm2662
11-01-2005, 12:10 PM
He will probably go back to the west coast. He signed with SD because he is from there, and his wife just had triplets. Best of luck Geoff!

Unregistered
11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Don't forget that he's said several times that the reason he was in San Diego in the first place was because he wanted to be close to his family. It wasn't his choice to come to Chicago, and given the option, he might prefer to be back on the West Coast with his wife and newborn triplets.

10/26/05, Greg Couch: Blum has baby triplets at home in California, and also a 2-year-old. He keeps an adorable picture of them in his locker, all lying down with their heads meeting in the center. His wife told him that he's going to have to stop bouncing around, stop moving from city to city soon. He's a daddy now.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 12:20 PM

Make that somewhere else.

voodoochile
11-01-2005, 12:24 PM

never been higher is completely subjective. He won't get an offer for much over $1M, IMO. One timely HR does not a career make. The Sox may go a bit higher than other teams because of his marketability. He has name recognition here in Chicago which will carry over for a few years. In another city, "The guy who hit the biggest HR in Sox Series history" doesn't mean nearly that much.

Knoxville Sox
11-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Don't forget that he's said several times that the reason he was in San Diego in the first place was because he wanted to be close to his family. It wasn't his choice to come to Chicago, and given the option, he might prefer to be back on the West Coast with his wife and newborn triplets.

That homer will probably get him more than the normal amount of offers for a backup. Someone will see the potential for a quality pinch hitter based on that World Series at-bat. His versatility will be an added plus.

I wish him well. Wish he would come back (Something to be said for having a man filling the bottom spot on the roster who can get the job done in critical situations.) Regardless, I appreciate reading about a player who appears to put a priority on his family.

MUsoxfan
11-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Blum has baby triplets at home in California, and also a 2-year-old. He keeps an adorable picture of them in his locker, all lying down with their heads meeting in the center. His wife told him that he's going to have to stop bouncing around, stop moving from city to city soon. He's a daddy now.

His wife must think he's A-Rod. She has to understand the business of baseball and that he has little control when it comes to where, when or if he plays and that she should be thankful his minimum salary is $300k+

Palehose13
11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Is Ozuna a FA too? IMO, we need to get one of these guys back. My preference is Pablo. However, I won't be upset if both come back. Both are nice guys to have on the bench.

The_Floridian
11-01-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree that one home run does not a career make. But it does give him more attention than he's ever had before. It will get him more attention. Not a lot, but enough to mean a team might give him a shot at starting.

Ol' No. 2--I agree that he would have to go to a bad team to start, but that might be fine with him. In fact, I think it would be better for his career in the long run (if not in the short run). If he goes to a bad team and plays well, a better team might sign him, just like with Graffanino. Granted, K.C. was expected to be better when Graff signed with them, but you get my drift.

If he's a utility player next eyar, he'll continue to command a utility player's salary. If he's a starter next year and plays well, he can ask for a bigger salary. For a guy like Blum, the opportunity to start means more exposure, and more exposure means more teams stop thinking of him as a utility man and start thinking of him as a starter. Again, see Graffanino.

If Blum signs to be a utility player, he might never have the chance to be a starter again. If he tries to be a starter, bigger things might start to happen for him down the road. That's not a gaurantee, but there's even less of a gaurantee he'll have an opportunity like this in a year, two years, three years, etc. In my mind, he has to take this chance.

As for Ozuna, I got the impression he was not a free agent, but I could be mistaken. He'll be back wither way. He can play three positions and played more games here this year than he had in his entire career up to this point. Of our bench players (Timo, Willie, Blum, Widger, Ozuna), he's the only one I'd say is an absolute lock to come back.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree that one home run does not a career make. But it does give him more attention than he's ever had before. It will get him more attention. Not a lot, but enough to mean a team might give him a shot at starting.

Ol' No. 2--I agree that he would have to go to a bad team to start, but that might be fine with him. In fact, I think it would be better for his career in the long run (if not in the short run). If he goes to a bad team and plays well, a better team might sign him, just like with Graffanino. Granted, K.C. was expected to be better when Graff signed with them, but you get my drift.

If he's a utility player next eyar, he'll continue to command a utility player's salary. If he's a starter next year and plays well, he can ask for a bigger salary. For a guy like Blum, the opportunity to start means more exposure, and more exposure means more teams stop thinking of him as a utility man and start thinking of him as a starter. Again, see Graffanino.

If Blum signs to be a utility player, he might never have the chance to be a starter again. If he tries to be a starter, bigger things might start to happen for him down the road. That's not a gaurantee, but there's even less of a gaurantee he'll have an opportunity like this in a year, two years, three years, etc. In my mind, he has to take this chance.

As for Ozuna, I got the impression he was not a free agent, but I could be mistaken. He'll be back wither way. He can play three positions and played more games here this year than he had in his entire career up to this point. Of our bench players (Timo, Willie, Blum, Widger, Ozuna), he's the only one I'd say is an absolute lock to come back.For Geoff Blum, I'm afraid this is probably as good as it's going to get. He was a starter with the Expos and Astros and just wasn't good enough to keep the job. He's 32 years old and he's been in the majors for 8 years with 5 different teams. If someone makes him an offer of a starting job, good for him. I doubt it will happen. It's not as if a break out year is just around the corner.

Chicken Dinner
11-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I think we can do a little better than Blum. I really think the only reason he was on the team was that one week that Uribe, Ozuna, and Crede were all hurting at the same time.

CHEESESOXER
11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
When I saw someone talking abut Graffanino, I had to laigh.

I can see it now:

"Well Tony, we're going to let you go this year while we win another WS and bring you back the year after."lol

getonbckthr
11-01-2005, 02:02 PM
i hope geoff can sign somewhere like arizona or colorado, maybe even seattle so he could play. i will always have a soft spot for geoff after his world series heroics.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Apparently blum is a popular clubhouse guy. I will miss the rooster for sure.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
For Geoff Blum, I'm afraid this is probably as good as it's going to get. He was a starter with the Expos and Astros and just wasn't good enough to keep the job. He's 32 years old and he's been in the majors for 8 years with 5 different teams. If someone makes him an offer of a starting job, good for him. I doubt it will happen. It's not as if a break out year is just around the corner.

Somebody been thinking my thoughts again.:D::D:

skobabe8
11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm gonna miss that hair.

hawkjt
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
He has said that he would love to return to chicago. Not a priority but at some point we will look at him, Im sure.

antitwins13
11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I hope Blum leaves. Yeah, we all know what he did in the World Series, but you gotta look at the big picture and the big picture says he sucks. I won't shed tears when he ends up on the D-Rays.