PDA

View Full Version : City Council tribute

Paxson93
11-01-2005, 09:40 AM
From the Trib:

CHICAGO -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf passed by City Hall last Friday during the tickertape parade down LaSalle Street celebrating their World Series championship team. On Tuesday, Guillen and Reinsdorf are scheduled to come inside, where they will be honored by the City Council and Mayor Richard Daley.

Also in the lobby of City Hall right now they have the League Championship and World Series tropys on disply along with a HUGE Eli's cheesecake shaped like a baseball and a locker room gray/black hat. Anyone downtown should come take a look.

voodoochile
11-01-2005, 11:21 AM
What no 5th star? :wink:

Jerko
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Supposedly the city council is honoring Ozzie and Reinsdorf at city hall today, but I can't find any details. I heard the trophy is supposed to be there too. I saw a blurb in the Trib, but if anybody can find out more?

itsnotrequired
11-01-2005, 11:25 AM

They're waiting for the repeat so they can take it right up to 6 stars.:tongue:

whitesoxwilkes
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I have to run down to the Financial District in about 30 minutes to see a client and get a haircut. I wonder how long the trophy's there for and how bad the line is...

Jerko
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
I have to run down to the Financial District in about 30 minutes to see a client and get a haircut. I wonder how long the trophy's there for and how bad the line is...

I heard it was a huge line this morning (a co-worker was there that I just found out about :angry: ). I'm heading down there soon to see for myself.

Unregistered
11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
...along with a HUGE Eli's cheesecake shaped like a baseball and a locker room gray/black hat. Anyone downtown should come take a look.Apparently it's 400 LBS. :o:

That's a lot of cheesecake.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2210166&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Viva Medias B's
11-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm sure we'll get to see the trophy all we want at SoxFest.

Jerko
11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Just got back. Trophy will only be there till NOON TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT it will be back in a couple/few weeks per the security guard stationed there.

SOXPHILE
11-01-2005, 01:09 PM

Good one !:thumbsup: By the way, each of the stars represents something in Chicago history. 1 is for the fire, one is for the world's fair I believe, but what are the other 2 for ? I need to know so that when they add the 5th star for a certain "event" that transpired this past baseball season, I can sound really smart to any out of towners.

Paxson93
11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
By the way, each of the stars represents something in Chicago history. 1 is for the fire, one is for the world's fair I believe, but what are the other 2 for ? I need to know so that when they add the 5th star for a certain "event" that transpired this past baseball season, I can sound really smart to any out of towners.

The fire, the Cnetury of Progress, Ft Dearborn, the Columbian Exposition and #5 is for Your 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

The trophys are still down there as of 12:30.... couldn't find someone to ask for how long. It's not so much a line of people now as it is a massive cluster of picture phones. So maybe they have already begun shutting down. Hopefully it comes back. I heard Ozzie was going to take the WS trophy to Venezuela.

voodoochile
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
The fire, the Cnetury of Progress, Ft Dearborn, the Columbian Exposition and #5 is for Your 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

The trophys are still down there as of 12:30.... couldn't find someone to ask for how long. It's not so much a line of people now as it is a massive cluster of picture phones. So maybe they have already begun shutting down. Hopefully it comes back. I heard Ozzie was going to take the WS trophy to Venezuela.

In addition, each of the five points stands for something too. I am pretty sure the stockyards are in there as well as the police and fire departments. I cannot recall the whole list.

Personally I think the Sox 5 would be:

Garcia
Garland
Buehrle
Contreras
Ozzie

SOXPHILE
11-01-2005, 01:48 PM

Ummmm, sorry, brain fart here, but weren't the Century of Progress and the Colombian Exposition the same thing ? I think it was 1893, where they introduced the ice cream cone, that huge ferris wheel, etc. I think that's when they built such landmarks as the Field Museum too. Help me out !:o:

duke of dorwood
11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
No, Century of Progress 1933-100 years after city Incorporated. Columbian was 1893

Paxson93
11-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Ummmm, sorry, brain fart here, but weren't the Century of Progress and the Colombian Exposition the same thing ? I think it was 1893, where they introduced the ice cream cone, that huge ferris wheel, etc. I think that's when they built such landmarks as the Field Museum too. Help me out !:o:

No but that always throws me off too. Columbian Exposition was 1893 with the Ferris Wheel, Field Museum and all that. Celebrating Columbus obviously. The Century of Progress was 1933 (and lasted into 34 because it was so popular) celebrating Chicago's 100 anniversary. Nothing too significant left over from that.

voodoochile
11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
No but that always throws me off too. Columbian Exposition was 1893 with the Ferris Wheel, Field Museum and all that. Celebrating Columbus obviously. The Century of Progress was 1933 (and lasted into 34 because it was so popular) celebrating Chicago's 100 anniversary. Nothing too significant left over from that.

Just to be picky, the museum in question for the Exposition was MSI, not the Field Museum. MSI used to have many more buildings for the exposition, but some were torn down because there was nothing to fill them with.

People forget that in the 1800's the southside was the wealthy elite part of town until some notable newspaper writer on culture moved north and all the lemmings followed her.

the_valenstache
11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
We're forgetting the most important issue here...

Do the fans get a slice of that cheesecake?

Paxson93
11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Just to be picky, the museum in question for the Exposition was MSI, not the Field Museum. MSI used to have many more buildings for the exposition, but some were torn down because there was nothing to fill them with.

Yeah... Oops, sorry. :redface:

And all 400 pounds of cheesecake disappeared in roughly 14 seconds, give or take. :D:

voodoochile
11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah... Oops, sorry. :redface:

And all 400 pounds of cheesecake disappeared in roughly 14 seconds, give or take. :D:

So Jenks was there?:wink: