PDA

View Full Version : Door not closed on Rooney...

gf2020
11-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Can I maybe sorta kinda get a hell yeah?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051031sherman,1,1054586.column?coll=cs-home-utility

EDIT: All right, well I just reread the story and realized I was getting my hopes up for nothing. Carry on.

soxfan123
11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Hell yes...please please please come back!

chisoxfan83
11-01-2005, 12:47 AM
one could only pray! rooney and hopefully paulie imagine the ovation there would be at the cell!

antitwins13
11-01-2005, 12:51 AM
It pisses me off that the "higher ups" told Rooney that Sox fans would listen to anyone call Sox games, and that we don't care. Nothing could be further from the truth. We want Rooney back!

FARMEO
11-01-2005, 01:10 AM
This is good news. It was strange to still hear Rooney call the games after it was announced that he wasn't coming back. He handled his job like a true professional considering the circumstances. The SCORE is not giving me a reason to listen to their other programming.

MrRoboto83
11-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Not to mention if they got the Sox programing at a bargin rate, they should spend an extra few bucks and get Rooney.

jabrch
11-01-2005, 01:35 AM
It pisses me off that the "higher ups" told Rooney that Sox fans would listen to anyone call Sox games, and that we don't care. Nothing could be further from the truth. We want Rooney back!

Would you not listen to the radio to Sox games just because Rooney is gone? I didn't think so.

Now I really want him back - he is one of the best out there. But the honest truth is that with the rights deal going down in value, I can see why a "minimal raise" is a fair deal. And I can see why Rooney would choose to go elsewhere. Both sides are right in this case - and unfortunately the fans lose out.

Some guy called the Score the other day who said he was visually impaired. He essentially thanked Rooney for being his eyes for all these years. That kinda touched me. To me, Rooney is my insurance if I am not in front of a TV. But to others, Rooney is all they know. (Imagine trying to understand a game if you couldn't see and had only Hawk and DJ? I love those guys for TV - but they'd be TERRIBLE for radio.)

In any case, I hope Rooney comes back - but if not, best wishes...

jabrch
11-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Not to mention if they got the Sox programing at a bargin rate, they should spend an extra few bucks and get Rooney.

Um - they got the programming at a lower rate because advertising rates are lower - not because of shrewd negotiating.

antitwins13
11-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Would you not listen to the radio to Sox games just because Rooney is gone? I didn't think so.

Now I really want him back - he is one of the best out there. But the honest truth is that with the rights deal going down in value, I can see why a "minimal raise" is a fair deal. And I can see why Rooney would choose to go elsewhere. Both sides are right in this case - and unfortunately the fans lose out.

Some guy called the Score the other day who said he was visually impaired. He essentially thanked Rooney for being his eyes for all these years. That kinda touched me. To me, Rooney is my insurance if I am not in front of a TV. But to others, Rooney is all they know. (Imagine trying to understand a game if you couldn't see and had only Hawk and DJ? I love those guys for TV - but they'd be TERRIBLE for radio.)

In any case, I hope Rooney comes back - but if not, best wishes...

Well that all depends on who his replacement is. I would be more incline to listen to the games if it was somebody half-way decent. However, I wouldn't if it was this guy...:ass

knocko94
11-01-2005, 01:49 AM
The Sox got a sweet package deal with the Bulls after all the Bull Championships. It says in the article the deal with WMVP was $4 million+, while the new deal with WSCR is ~$2.5 million. The Score got a sweet deal, because they signed it before the White Sox Won the World Series (I got chills typing that). If they can hash out their differences, I don't see why it should be a big deal if they forked over an extra 100-200k per year for Rooney. That would probably be a good sized raise.

Does anyone know what Rooney was making?

patbooyah
11-01-2005, 01:52 AM
as much as this is the score's doing it is also the decision of the white sox. they have ultimate say over their broadcasters...

soxfanreggie
11-01-2005, 02:28 AM
I wouldn't think that as a radio guy that Rooney would be making enough to where he would warrant a 100-200K raise. I mean, he probably makes 100-200K a season doing radio games for the Sox. Heck, the mean of that means close to $1000 a game. I would think that a 100-200K raise would probably double his pay. I love listening to John, but the Score is going to do what it wants and Rooney is going to do what he wants.

duke of dorwood
11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Class like John Rooney and a scum station like 670 just dont mix

steff
11-01-2005, 08:48 AM
as much as this is the score's doing it is also the decision of the white sox. they have ultimate say over their broadcasters...

They have a say, request if you may, but they don't make the final decision at all. And they can't force the Score to hire who they want. The Score is the employer here... sadly.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Based on the quote in the Tribune....I'd say the Score is realizing they underestimated Rooney's importance to the fan base. Rooney opening the door says he realizes he has a pretty good thing going here in Chicago...especially after the World Series. My money is on Rooney staying which is important for the White Sox....we used to change announcers every few years...and none of the rumored candidates is in the same universe as Rooney.

skottyj242
11-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Has anyone heard anything about who's going to do the pre/post game?

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 10:43 AM
This whole thing seemed a bit peculiar when it was announced. Rooney told Boyer, who went public with it. Then Rooney acted surprised and seemed to say that the decision wasn't final. I got the impression that Rooney was talking to Boyer to try to improve his negotiating position and it backfired.

SOXPHILE
11-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Has anyone heard anything about who's going to do the pre/post game?

Hopefully there is a God in heaven and it is NOT Jesse Rogers and/or Lawrence Holmes.

slavko
11-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Hopefully there is a God in heaven and it is NOT Jesse Rogers and/or Lawrence Holmes.

I was just thinking that those were the 2 logical choices and you beat me to it.

One is a passionate Sox fan and the other says he is...
Both voices are irritating, one a bit more than the other...
One is a bigger buddy of Mike North than the other...

You're right, God may be our only hope at this point.

soxfanreggie
11-01-2005, 11:12 AM
We could start a collection for Rooney to keep him around. Maybe that would show him how important he is to us.

SOXPHILE
11-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I was just thinking that those were the 2 logical choices and you beat me to it.

One is a passionate Sox fan and the other says he is...
Both voices are irritating, one a bit more than the other...
One is a bigger buddy of Mike North than the other...

You're right, God may be our only hope at this point.

Yeah. Holmes is a Sox fan, but wow is he bad. Arrogant, not really that talented, and just overall annoying. As for Jesse, well......Cub fan who claims to like both teams. That whole talent thing seems to have eluded him as well. Plus, he quite possibly might be one of the dumbest people I've ever heard on the radio. I know he's Mike North's errand boy, but, does he have blackmail pictures or something ? That guy doesn't even belong in a high school radio club. If that's what we have doing pre and post games for the Sox next year, well, I don't even wanna think about it.

Sad
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
We could start a collection for Rooney to keep him around. Maybe that would show him how important he is to us.

or take up a collection to rid ourselves of Rogers :redneck
:sopranos

Lip Man 1
11-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Pat:

According to stories in the newspapers when this first came out Reinsdorf went to WSCR to try to get more money for Rooney and was refused. Now nothing is stopping Reinsdorf from making a contribution so to say, to a fund to help keep Rooney around if he wishes.

But it seems the hiring decision is completely WSCR's with Sox final approval after someone has been selected.

Lip

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Pat:

According to stories in the newspapers when this first came out Reinsdorf went to WSCR to try to get more money for Rooney and was refused. Now nothing is stopping Reinsdorf from making a contribution so to say, to a fund to help keep Rooney around if he wishes.

But it seems the hiring decision is completely WSCR's with Sox final approval after someone has been selected.

Lip

You'd think there would be a way to get it done...hell....shave $100K off the rights fees the WSox are receiving from the Score and have the money go to Rooney. To lose an 18 year veteran/quality guy over such a small dollar amount seems ridiculous.

hawkjt
11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Look, as it was indicated the Score is getting a big bargain with the title toting Sox coming over at bargain basement money. They should acknowledge that by coughing up the cash to keep Rooney.

Jenks4Pres
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
It's a business. If Rooney wants too much money.............

HE GONE!!

Quite Frankly, I listen to the sox on the radio to hear the game, not Rooney.

34 Inch Stick
11-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah. Holmes is a Sox fan, but wow is he bad. Arrogant, not really that talented, and just overall annoying. As for Jesse, well......Cub fan who claims to like both teams. That whole talent thing seems to have eluded him as well. Plus, he quite possibly might be one of the dumbest people I've ever heard on the radio. I know he's Mike North's errand boy, but, does he have blackmail pictures or something ? That guy doesn't even belong in a high school radio club. If that's what we have doing pre and post games for the Sox next year, well, I don't even wanna think about it.

I don't think the SCORE could have been more clear about who will do pre and post by placing Jesse on Hit and Run and all sox "post game" duties during the title run. Jesse, Farmer, Hawk and DJ. That is some bad, bad, bad broadcasting.

steff
11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't think the SCORE could have been more clear about who will do pre and post by placing Jesse on Hit and Run and all sox "post game" duties during the title run.

Perhaps it was their only choice since Bryan was not avaliable..??

Trav
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't watch many games but I listen to almost all of them on XM. To me, baseball on the radio with a play by play man who can be as accurate as Rooney is how baseball is meant to be enjoyed. I would rather listen to Rooney than watch it with Hawk and I don't hate Hawk. Rooney is/was the number 2 play by play guy right after Scully in the USA Today. If you were to listen to other broadcasters on radio you would really be in for a surprise about how hard it is to enjoy the game and know what is going on.

I always thought that the team hired and fired broadcasters. Can anyone clear this up for me with some examples from the past about the station's say in it? Pre and Post game are the station's, I thought.

Lip Man 1
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
In the past the stations that broadcast the games had complete authority of who was hired and who was fired the MLB teams themselves had nothing to say. The stations paid the announcers and provided transport, hotel accomodations and so forth.

By the 80's it was the teams that had complete authority with the stations themselves given final approval of the team's choices and in most cases the MLB team was the organization actually paying announcers not the stations.

Now it has evolved to where the stations are the ones in most cases doing the hiring and firing with the MLB clubs having final approval. It's more of a partnership now with the stations having the biggest stick in the decision.

Lip

Jenks4Pres
11-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

mike squires
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

Anway we can show this guy the door instead?:angry:

ChiSoxGirl
11-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Anway we can show this guy the door instead?:angry:

You said it, my friend! You said it!!!!

FarWestChicago
11-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!:tealpolice:

:tealtutor:

gobears1987
11-02-2005, 12:09 AM
With DJ apparently MIA, is it possible the Sox will put Rooney in the booth with Hawk!!!!!!!!

MrRoboto83
11-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

Wow, you can not be serious can you?:?: I think you are replaceable as a Sox fan sir.

MsSoxVixen22
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Wow, you can not be serious can you?:?: I think you are replaceable as a Sox fan sir.

Well said! Rooney is FAR from replacable! :angry: Did someone just get on the bandwagon?

TomBradley72
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Anyone listen to North this morning? 5 minute discussion on his trip to the bathroom during the break....the idea of replacing a class act like Rooney with that tool is repulsive.

SOXPHILE
11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

Hey, thanks for posting at WSI, Bebe ! You may wanna tell your husband, Mike, that if he's going to be doing Sox broadcasts, he's gonna have to cut down on the "world tours" with "his guys". He's actually going to have to be awake for those night games that may go into extra innings and stuff. Anyways, welcome to WSI, and say hi to Mike and Licorice for me !

kevingrt
11-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

How abou a Jenks4Pres, You GONE...

If only downgrading Rooney was on lines for being shown the exit door on this message board. Gosh darnit!

chisoxfan64
11-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

Just say no to drugs.
North is awful, listening to him makes me realize what a dog must feel when someone is blowing a dog whistle.:mad:

tacosalbarojas
11-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah. Holmes is a Sox fan, but wow is he bad. Arrogant, not really that talented, and just overall annoying. As for Jesse, well......Cub fan who claims to like both teams. That whole talent thing seems to have eluded him as well. Plus, he quite possibly might be one of the dumbest people I've ever heard on the radio. I know he's Mike North's errand boy, but, does he have blackmail pictures or something ? That guy doesn't even belong in a high school radio club. If that's what we have doing pre and post games for the Sox next year, well, I don't even wanna think about it.Re Holmes: if you listened to him when he came to the Score from DePaul, he claimed to be a life-long $&* fan. Not sure when the change on-air came about, or if it's even real. All I know is I don't trust him any further than I could throw him.

bigsqwert
11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Anyone listen to North this morning?

Not a chance. I'd rather listen to Spanish talk radio....and I don't speak Spanish.

:D:

SOXPHILE
11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Re Holmes: if you listened to him when he came to the Score from DePaul, he claimed to be a life-long $&* fan. Not sure when the change on-air came about, or if it's even real. All I know is I don't trust him any further than I could throw him.

Did he really ? What an assclown. Wouldn't be surprised. I'm too busy listening to him as he regales us with stories about what a ladies man he is, and all the different women he's dated. That, along with his tendency to take an arrogant attitude towards his callers, and if they dare cross him or disagree with him in any way, WATCHOUT !! The mighty Lawrence Holmes will get back at them by...hanging up on them. Yeah, he's a real talent, and a class act.

The Dude
11-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

is that you :ass ????

If so.... go **** yourself!

ChiSoxGirl
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
is that you :ass ????

If so.... go **** yourself!

:roflmao: I can totally hear you saying that! You're awesome, Dude! :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Not a chance. I'd rather listen to Spanish talk radio....and I don't speak Spanish.

:D:

http://ets.freetranslation.com/

Stretch!!! = Estire!!!

You can put it on the board, Yes!!! = Usted lo puede poner en la tabla, si!!!

And that's a White Sox winner!!! = Y eso es un ganador Blanco de Medias Blancas!!!

Chips
11-03-2005, 12:12 AM
It's a business. If Rooney wants too much money.............

HE GONE!!

Quite Frankly, I listen to the sox on the radio to hear the game, not Rooney.

Quite Frankly, I think you are a dumbass...

Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

...and you having been using this too long.

:bong:

antitwins13
11-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Rooney is replaceable

HE GONE!

Bring on North!

:dtroll:

CluelessJoe1919
11-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Face it: If they tell a class guy like that that anyone can call Sox games, you can count him out of here and with good reason...

Unfortunately, they're considering the atrocious Steve Lyons to do games. Living in Phoenix, I had to listen to Lyons in 2004. Trust me, ya don't want him...