PDA

View Full Version : The 2 turning points of the entire postseason

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm in the process of making DVDs of all the postseason games (in real time, unfortunately), and it's been interesting to watch the games in hindsight.

I remember being at the park for Game 2 of the ALDS, when Wells really had the Sox hamstrung. There were a couple of hits that started off the rally (Carl's single, Aaron's double down the LF line, Crede's seeing-eye single up the middle), but by far, Tony Graffanino's error on Juan's surefire DP just about single-handedly gave the game to the White Sox...with a little help from Tadahito, naturally.

The other play, obviously, has to be AJ's Jedi mind trick on Josh Paul during Game 2 of the ALCS. Just a classic bit of gamesmanship there.

Anyone else got other key plays that really helped to push any of the postseason series in another direction?

PAPChiSox729
10-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Anyone else got other key plays that really helped to push any of the postseason series in another direction?

Though it didn't really change any direction, the 1st inning explosion in Game 1 of the ALDS made a statement, IMO. Got the Sox started off on the good foot.

Chips
10-31-2005, 10:41 PM
El Duque shutting the door on Boston locked up the ALDS.

LuvSox
10-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Konerko GS, Pods walk off

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2005, 10:44 PM

Ooh, good one. Geez, there were so many great plays and efforts and moments for the Sox, it really is hard to pick just a couple. Another one would be Crede's home run to start the 5th inning rally in Game 3 of the World Series.

peeonwrigley
10-31-2005, 11:29 PM
In WS Game 3

Crede's HR to get the offense going and start up that magical 5th against Oswalt.

And late into the night, of course, Blum's bomb. Completely deflated and demoralized the 'Stros.

wassagstdu
11-01-2005, 06:45 AM
One for each series: El Duque's inning against Boston, Crede's double following AJ's K, and Blum's HR.

Flight #24
11-01-2005, 06:48 AM
IMO the Wells game turned significantly on the play where Pods forced fatbo to run to first. After that, he wasn't the same pitcher & was getting hit around.

Vernam
11-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Another important pivot point was when the Sox bashed Oswalt in the fifth inning of Game 3. The Astros HAD to have him come up big, as he had against St. Louis. Our guys beat him like a rented mule.

Exciting as PK's grand slam and Pods's walk-off were, though, the moment I keep replaying is El Duque's performance in Boston. That was when I first believed we might reallly win it all.

Vernam

Malgar 12
11-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Though it didn't really change any direction, the 1st inning explosion in Game 1 of the ALDS made a statement, IMO. Got the Sox started off on the good foot.

With AJ's home run being the big blow...proving once and for all that the Sox can hit in the playoffs! :D:

soxfanatlanta
11-01-2005, 08:15 AM
You want me to pick two? Man, that's pretty hard to do. I am have to pick 3 (one form each round)

ALDS: Iguchi blast off of Wells - you could just see the BoSox's shoulders sagging after that one.

ALCS: Burle's complete game: A clear mesage was sent to the Angels, "You gonna have to get past our arms to win, and that ain't gonna happen my friend."

WS: Top of the 8th: They relied on the long ball to win most of the other games, it was great to see the classical "play for one" work to perfection.

Ask me tomorrow, and I will change my mind...again.

Fenway
11-01-2005, 08:53 AM
5th inning Game 3 of the ALDS

Ortiz CRUSHES a ball but it dies at the 420 mark. The wind had just switched from blowing out to in.

mccoydp
11-01-2005, 09:17 AM

Agreed...I think that was the nail in the coffin.

gosox83
11-01-2005, 09:34 AM
My two "turning points" of the post season are a little obscure, but I think HUGE!!

First one was game one of the World Series.

After Cotts gave up the single, and Mansolino held, the fastest guy on the team, because there was nobody out, on 3rd base. Cotts struck out the next two, and then BAD Bobby Jenks struck out Bagwell. I felt like Houston then knew that if we ever take the lead in the 5th inning or later it is pretty much game over for them.

The next one was Game 3 against Oswalt. Jermaine Dye had just got his big base hit to centerfield to draw us within a run. AJ comes up with the tying run on second and the go ahead run on first, and laces one that gets down and goes all the way to the hill allowing Dye to score the go ahead run from first. You could just feel the air leaving the Astro crowd, and like I said above, if we get a lead late in the game, see you tomorrow!! YOUR'E DONE!

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

GO WHITE SOX!! 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

Madvora
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Game 3 of the ALCS. Konerko hits a 3 run homerun in the 1st inning and I was sure at that moment that we were going to win it all.

slavko
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
My two "turning points" of the post season are a little obscure, but I think HUGE!!

First one was game one of the World Series.

After Cotts gave up the single, and Mansolino held, the fastest guy on the team, because there was nobody out, on 3rd base. Cotts struck out the next two, and then BAD Bobby Jenks struck out Bagwell. I felt like Houston then knew that if we ever take the lead in the 5th inning or later it is pretty much game over for them.

The single was in front of the runner, Taveras, who had to delay because Uribe was close enough to the ball to have had a possible play on it. Taveras was well short of 3rd base when Pods got the ball in left field.

1951Campbell
11-01-2005, 10:11 AM

No doubt. If he had done that on Yankee pinstripes, they'd be a statue of him in Bristol.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 11:10 AM
One turning point was in Game 3 of the World Series....Astro's hit a double down the line....it hits a tiny little corner in the wall...and bounces right back towards the infield. If that ball had continued down the line into the corner...another run would have scored...no extra innings...no Geoff Blum homer...Astros win.

shaunburnette
11-01-2005, 11:24 AM
5th inning Game 3 of the ALDS

Ortiz CRUSHES a ball but it dies at the 420 mark. The wind had just switched from blowing out to in.

:whiner:

hawkjt
11-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I agree that PK's homer in the first in Game 3 of the ALCS was just huge. But what really made it huge was Jonny Garlands pitching performance in that game. The best effort of any starter in the post season in my book.

buehrle4cy05
11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm with Papchisox. Just getting those 5 runs in the first inning of game 1 got a huge load off their backs, and they were able to play without as much pressure for the rest of the series.

Jerko
11-01-2005, 12:09 PM

That's my vote, along with Pods' homer.

Muopsies
11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Game 2 of the ALDS when Jenks got Manny to fly out. 1) it turned Jenks into a man for the playoffs and 2) it was the last turn for the Big 2. Also, in the 9th of that game, after Tony G's double, he shut down Damon and Renteria, thus preventing Ortiz from coming up.

Fenway
11-01-2005, 01:21 PM

there is no crying in baseball

Iwritecode
11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
there is no crying in baseball

Unless the champagne gets in your eyes. :wink:

eastchicagosoxfan
11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
No doubt. If he had done that on Yankee pinstripes, they'd be a statue of him in Bristol.
You ain't kidding. I think once the Sox got into the playoffs, it was similiar to the Super Bowl. They weren't going to lose, plain and simple. The way this team played in the post-season, Boston might have won game three, but wasn't winning three straight. The Angels won game one ( thereby eliminating the storyline of the tired Angels ), but regardless of what AJ and Crede did, they( the Angels )weren't going to win that game. The Astros, had they won even a single game, could make the arguement that all those games could have gone either way, yet they lost all four. Therefore, my biggest plays are the routine ones. The Sox weren't jittery. The pitchers threw strikes, the fielders caught the ball, and the hitters worked the count ( Oswalt game ). Now my favorite plays: Cotts and Jenks striking out the side, PK's slam, the fifth inning against Oswalt, and Uribe catching the ball in the stands ( NOT CURSED ), and Uribe throwing out Palmeiro to win it.

emich
11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I think Crede's glove in the WS helped a whole lot in them winning. Told the Astro's pretty much - You hit it this way, you gonna be out.

Vernam
11-01-2005, 07:11 PM
You ain't kidding. I think once the Sox got into the playoffs, it was similiar to the Super Bowl. They weren't going to lose, plain and simple. The way this team played in the post-season, Boston might have won game three, but wasn't winning three straight. The Angels won game one ( thereby eliminating the storyline of the tired Angels ), but regardless of what AJ and Crede did, they( the Angels )weren't going to win that game. The Astros, had they won even a single game, could make the arguement that all those games could have gone either way, yet they lost all four. Therefore, my biggest plays are the routine ones. The Sox weren't jittery. The pitchers threw strikes, the fielders caught the ball, and the hitters worked the count ( Oswalt game ). Now my favorite plays: Cotts and Jenks striking out the side, PK's slam, the fifth inning against Oswalt, and Uribe catching the ball in the stands ( NOT CURSED ), and Uribe throwing out Palmeiro to win it.Hey, if I'd only thought of it that way, I wouldn't have had to **** my pants while watching all those plays as they happened! :redneck

Vernam

billyvsox
11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
No doubt it all changed for the good when El Duke got out of the bases loaded jam. It was then I really got the feeling that this team was becoming unbeatable!!

Just a random thought:

I am curious to see how the Uribe dive into the stands catch gets played out over the years. In my opinion it should go down with the Willie Mays catch, Sandy Amoros catch, Tommie Agee catch, etc. as one of the greatest world series plays!!

I know for a fact, if Derek Jeter made that play it would live on in infamy. Will Uribe get his just due?? I doubt it.

Vernam
11-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I know for a fact, if Derek Jeter made that play it would live on in infamy. Will Uribe get his just due?? I doubt it.My favorite part of the post-post-season was just after the rally on Friday. We had a crummy location but ended up right by the busses when the Sox got ready to depart. It took 'em about 15 minutes, and the whole time we were yelling up to them, and they were signing autographs for people who tossed stuff onto the top deck. I felt (and acted) like a 9-year-old kid and started the Oo-ree-bay chant like they did in the locker room after Game 4. He looked down and pointed right at me -- what a moment. I've always been a big Uribe fan, and it's so cool that he came to be viewed as an essential part of the championship team.

Re: Jeter, I think it was Gammons on BBTN who compared the play to one of Jeter's. Word is that Graig Nettles said it was nothing spectacular, though.

Vernam

IotaNet
11-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Another important pivot point was when the Sox bashed Oswalt in the fifth inning of Game 3. The Astros HAD to have him come up big, as he had against St. Louis. Our guys beat him like a rented mule.+ 1 for this.

Remember - everyone was talking about Oswalt like he was Casey at the Bat. ("That's okay -- just wait until Roy takes the mound -- he'll shut 'em down.") After the Sox lit him up, I really believe that Astros that the Astros were like, "Damn - they just beat up our ACE (in the hole.) We may not have an answer for these guys."

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Here's another vote for El Duque in Game 3 of the ALDS.

The 2005 Sox won because of their excellent pitching, and no inning better exemplifies just how great Sox pitching truly was than that single inning by Hernandez, a starting pitcher coming into the game from the bullpen because there was no room in the playoff rotation.

Yes, the walk-off dinger was nice, and the four complete games in the ALCS were truly unique. But for a single moment that turned everything around, I'm voting El Duque. He earned his whole 2005 salary in that one game.

richb2
11-05-2005, 09:13 PM
hard to pick one or tow or ten lol, but if I had to pick one fom the post season it had to be el duke in boston, my stomach was in knots that whole inning.

flo-B-flo
11-05-2005, 09:31 PM
El Duque shutting the door on Boston locked up the ALDS. This was HUGE. No tellling what would have happened had Duque not come through there.

nccwsfan
11-06-2005, 12:15 AM
ALDS- El Duque in the 6th hands down. Once Damon struck out it was game over, series over.

ALCS- I don't think there was any one turning point, but rather a thorough domination by the Big 4. IMO Garland's Game 3 was the most dominant of the entire postseason.

World Series- I think any momentum the Astros had went away after Pods' homer in Game 2 and Blum's homer in Game 3.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-06-2005, 12:54 AM
Biggest Regular Season Play - Joe Crede - 2nd Home Run in 10th off of David Riske. Put the White Sox back in front by 2 1/2 games and took some of the life out of the Injuns which they never would recover.

Biggest ALDS Turning Point - El Duque - Shuts down the Red Sox with Bases Loaded and None Out. There was no better performance in that series. El Duque squelched any sense of possible comeback and gave confidence to his team that yes "we bad we bad" (which they responded "that's right that's right").

Biggest ALCS Play - Joe Crede's double in the 9th to seal the victory. If we lose that game we are two down going to the West Coast. We go split and than do what most people thought we couldn't - swept them in Anaheim. The Game 2 lose was a huge punch in the gut. I think Buehrle's performance was even more important keeping our offense who managed only 3 runs in 17 innings before the 9th in it but there were no "turning points" on his end - he just went out and dominated from start to finish.

Biggest World Series Play - Paul Konerko's Grand Slam. We were down and looked like we may lose the game but Paul's shot in the 7th took the wind out of Houston. They managed to tie it on the bloop by Jose Vizcaino and Scotty won it but Paully's shot turned the game around and showed the world we own the late innings which we have all season.

El Duque
Joe Crede
Paul Konerko

Three moments - three series victories. Couldn't have done it without the great starters but if you are looking for 1 play or series of events (El Duque) those are my highlights of the postseason.

Honorable Mention -

ALDS Game 1 - AJ's 3 Run Shot in the 1st to take a 5-0 game and letting Boston know they were in for it.

ALDS Game 2 - Tadahito's 3 run shot in the 5th off of a tired Wells (post error - Tadahito hit the 29th pitch of the inning).

ALCS Game 1 - Rowand's blown bunt in the ninth wasted an out and failed to bring a runner in scoring position for the White Sox in a game we lost 3-2 - our only loss of the postseason.

ALCS Game 3 & 4 - Paully's 1st inning shots put the Angels on notice - we ended the first in both games with enough runs to win with the great starting pitching.

ALCS Game 5 - Joe Crede's HR in the 7th and RBI single in the 8th.

World Series Game 1 - Cotts and Jenks stranding the tying and go ahead runs with none out in the 8th.

World Series Game 3 - Marte and Buehrle's job shutting the door two more innings allowing Blum's HR.

World Series Game 4 - Garcia getting out of the bases loaded jam in the 6th to keep the game scoreless until he was pinch hit for by Group 4 star Willie Harris who reached base and scored the game's only run.

kevin57
11-06-2005, 07:51 AM
I can't pick two, sorry.

Reading these posts, though, all these great moments brings the whole experience to life again. :smile: