PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt resigns with Giants

Jerry_Manuel
12-14-2001, 06:16 PM
BOSTON -- Jason Schmidt has decided to stay in the Bay Area.

The free agent right-hander on Friday re-signed with the San Francisco Giants, inking a four-year contract with a club option for the 2006 season.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but ESPN.com's Jayson Stark had previously reported that Schmidt may get a $30 million contract.

Schmidt, 28, went 7-1 with a 3.39 ERA in 11 starts after the Giants acquired him from the Pittsburgh Pirates along with outfielder John Vander Wal on July 30. Overall, he was 13-7 with a 4.07 ERA in 25 outings.

"Jason is an important piece to our starting rotation and we're excited that he'll be a Giant for the next four years," San Francisco general manager Brian Sabean said. "We feel that he can build on the success he had down the stretch for us this year and become one of the premier pitchers in the National League."

Schmidt will join right-handers Russ Ortiz and Livan Hernandez and lefty Kirk Rueter in the San Francisco rotation next season. All four are signed through at least the 2003 campaign.

A six-year major league veteran, Schmidt owns a lifetime mark of 56-54 with a 4.50 ERA. He was originally an eighth-round selection of the Atlanta Braves in 1991.

In the second half of last season, Schmidt went 8-3 with a 3.06 ERA, limiting opponents to a .220 batting average and winning all four of his starts at Pac Bell Park after the trade.

"Jason had arguably as much success in the second half as any pitcher in the NL," said Sabean. "He gave our club a very solid chance to win every fifth day during the stretch drive, because he didn't allow many baserunners and gave us a lot of quality innings."

danman31
12-14-2001, 07:26 PM
In a word F*. I was really hoping, not expecting, to get him. Oh well at least he didn't go to the AL.

Daver
12-14-2001, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by danman31
In a word F*. I was really hoping, not expecting, to get him. Oh well at least he didn't go to the AL.

Perhaps you have forgotten the no FA edict issued by JR?

Jerry_Manuel
12-14-2001, 07:28 PM

1. We are not signing any free agents.
2. Reinsdorf doesn't give 4 year deals to pitchers. I know Jaime got one but after that mess he won't do it again.

danman31
12-14-2001, 08:04 PM
Ok ok, guys I said not expecting. Can't a guy hope?

Jerry_Manuel
12-14-2001, 08:06 PM

As a long as Jerry Reinsdorf owns the Sox no you can't.

Daver
12-14-2001, 08:08 PM

:reinsy

Not while I'm signing the checks.Didn't you see Bud on Capitol Hill?
We're broke.

danman31
12-14-2001, 08:17 PM
Ok, so I was wrong to hope. Geez.

duke of dorwood
12-14-2001, 10:57 PM
Wonder if they still have room for Bonds? Not much talk about him, he may have to return there.

LongDistanceFan
12-15-2001, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Wonder if they still have room for Bonds? Not much talk about him, he may have to return there. we traded for ritchie, for wells and other and jason goes to another team........ i am starting to wonder of the sanity of this team.

GASHWOUND
12-15-2001, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

As a long as Jerry Reinsdorf owns the Sox no you can't.

Well said
:reinsy
"Muuuhaaaaa!!"