View Full Version : ROYCE

CerberusWG
07-27-2001, 08:48 PM
HAHHA OWNED LMAO!

:hitless

Go back on the DL, b!tch.

Kilroy
07-27-2001, 11:09 PM
I know I'm in the minority around here, but I sure would like to see people take notice of what Clayton is doing lately. Maybe I haven't been around to notice it in here, but on radio and with people I know, Clayton is still the devil.

People don't see past the .225 average or whatever, and won't forget the first month and a half of the season. But Royce is hitting over .400 in his last 10 games, about .350 this month, and over .300 for the last 2 months.

Tragg
07-28-2001, 12:02 AM
yes, he's hitting better. But he still has a grand total of 15 walks all year long and a obp of 270. Over a 10 year career, his offense is putrid.
But, I guess it's fair to say that he shouldn't be the brunt of all criticism, especially considering he's having a nice offensive streak.

But the fact remains, that we cannot have him and singleton and alomar in the lineup next year if we expect to contend. In fact, we can't have either him or singleton because non production at catcher is a given.

Kilroy
07-28-2001, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I knew his obp when I posted that, but I figured it like this: If you're Clayton standing in with an average that's been under .200 most of the season, what pitcher is gonna dick around with you? They have been pitching to Clayton the way they pitch to pitchers in the NL. And walking a guy hitting under .200 gets people up in the bullpen.

That said, I agree that Clayton, Singleton, and Alomar are the trio of death. Alomar needs to go, and Singleton isn't long for the Sox with Rowand stepping up.

Soxheads
07-28-2001, 12:40 AM
royce is creating a virus like navarro-except manuels brain is infected

34 Inch Stick
07-28-2001, 11:08 AM
The problem with Clayton is that he killed us for the first two months of the season. The rest of the season has been meaninglesss because he (among others) was so bad. His contribution is the equivalent of 3/4 of Sammy's home runs- unimportent. I think we have to keep him next year due to his contract, but if he hits well we will be unburdend of his services by this time next year.

Mathew
07-28-2001, 06:17 PM
You mentioned that they don't walk him because his average is bad. I agree but you also imply that they pitch to him like a pitcher which is true. Even in the major leagues they pipe fastballs to the #9 guy, that explains his increase in average. They pitch to him like a pitcher, but I would honestly rather have Brian Bohanon at the plate than Royce Clayton. His mechanics at the plate are terrible and he often just waves at the ball. He cost a good player on our team his roster spot and deserves the criticism.