PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Robinson on Crede and Sox

Professor
10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Brooks Robinson is blogging: http://brooks.mlblogs.com/

He has makes some brief and positive comments about Crede and the White Sox.

The_Floridian
10-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Brooks Robinson is blogging: http://brooks.mlblogs.com/

He has makes some brief and positive comments about Crede and the White Sox.

What does this guy know about playing third base?
:tongue:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Maybe with this kind of positive recognition Joe could finally win a Gold Glove

Vernam
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Very nice comments by Brooks, and not surprising, considering the source. Contrast with what Graig Nettles said last week (LINKY (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/sports/baseball/24curry.html)):

When Graig Nettles heard the television announcers compare Crede's defense to the plays he made for the Yankees in the 1978 World Series, he was flattered. But Nettles also felt the comparison was unfair.

"He made some nice plays," he said in a telephone interview Sunday. "They were nice plays, but they weren't anything spectacular."

Nettles was implying that the plays he had made were spectacular and, of course, they were. He made four superb plays in Game 3, plays that Tommy Lasorda, the manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, considered paramount in helping transform a series that his team had been dominating.

Nettles has always been confident about his defensive abilities, so it was no surprise that he was adamant about separating what Crede did and what he had done.

"He made all the plays he needed to make," Nettles said. "It was nothing extraordinary."

Twenty-seven years ago, the Yankees were trailing the Dodgers, two games to none, when Nettles's acrobatic plays guided them through Game 3. Fans still remind Nettles about how his defense helped the Yankees rebound to win the title in six games.
I guess when you're a Hall of Famer like Brooks, you can take the high road. :cool:

Vernam

The Dude
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Maybe with this kind of positive recognition Joe could finally win a Gold Glove

I dont think they'll give it to him this season, but if he continues to play like the Joe we know, he has a good shot at the 2006 GG.
But as the case in the World Series MVP, he will probably get snubbed.:angry:

soxwon
10-31-2005, 05:02 PM
A good friend of mine at work- a real diehard sox fan was telling me

she was talking with a relative another staunch sox fan.
they were discussing next seasons team- who should go etc.
Anyways this relative says theuy must DUMP CREDE- he sucks in the field.
everything goes by him!!!!
she looked at him and said "WHAT" are you watching the same games as me?
He kept saying evertytime he saw crede play, he blew a ton of chances.

Crede was awesome in the playoffs, this guy really has it out for JOe.
Your Thoughts?

Ol' No. 2
10-31-2005, 05:06 PM

Your Thoughts?And a bunch of his HR didn't count, either.

I think that relative used to post here.

flo-B-flo
10-31-2005, 05:09 PM

Your Thoughts? What an ASSHEAD!!

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Your Thoughts?Your friend is related to shoota. :o:

TomBradley72
10-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Very nice comments by Brooks, and not surprising, considering the source. Contrast with what Graig Nettles said last week (LINKY (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/sports/baseball/24curry.html)):

When Graig Nettles heard the television announcers compare Crede's defense to the plays he made for the Yankees in the 1978 World Series, he was flattered. But Nettles also felt the comparison was unfair.

"He made some nice plays," he said in a telephone interview Sunday. "They were nice plays, but they weren't anything spectacular."

Nettles was implying that the plays he had made were spectacular and, of course, they were. He made four superb plays in Game 3, plays that Tommy Lasorda, the manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, considered paramount in helping transform a series that his team had been dominating.

Nettles has always been confident about his defensive abilities, so it was no surprise that he was adamant about separating what Crede did and what he had done.

"He made all the plays he needed to make," Nettles said. "It was nothing extraordinary."

Twenty-seven years ago, the Yankees were trailing the Dodgers, two games to none, when Nettles's acrobatic plays guided them through Game 3. Fans still remind Nettles about how his defense helped the Yankees rebound to win the title in six games.

I guess when you're a Hall of Famer like Brooks, you can take the high road. :cool:

Vernam

Actually Nettles is right. As good as Joe was this postseason...if you see the films of the plays he made that Series...it was a notch higher performance. Same with Brooks.

shoota II
10-31-2005, 05:22 PM
I dont think they'll give it to him this season, but if he continues to play like the Joe we know, he has a good shot at the 2006 GG.
But as the case in the World Series MVP, he will probably get snubbed.:angry:

You must have missed this line: "Nettles was implying that the plays he had made were spectacular and, of course, they were."

I never saw the 1978 World Series or Nettles's plays, but I did see the 2005 World Series and I find it highly likely that Nettles made more spectacular plays.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Actually Nettles is right. As good as Joe was this postseason...if you see the films of the plays he made that Series...it was a notch higher performance. Same with Brooks.That doesn't mean Nettles needs to be an assclown about it. Brooks wasn't.

shoota II
10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
That doesn't mean Nettles needs to be an assclown about it. Brooks wasn't.

I don't know man, if I were Nettles, I wouldn't want to be compared defensively to a guy who dropped a popup in foul ground that allowed Manny Ramirez to break a tie game with a home run on the next pitch.

MUsoxfan
10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Hes got a good short swing.

Hopefully he keeps it that way. His tendency is long and loopy

TheOldRoman
10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know man, if I were Nettles, I wouldn't want to be compared defensively to a guy who dropped a popup in foul ground that allowed Manny Ramirez to break a tie game with a home run on the next pitch.:dtroll:

I agree. We need players who have never made a single error in their careers. Crede is trash, Uribe is horrible.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't know man, if I were Nettles, I wouldn't want to be compared defensively to a guy who dropped a popup in foul ground that allowed Manny Ramirez to break a tie game with a home run on the next pitch.Oh my, time to do some investigating. We may have shoota under a different username. :o:

TheOldRoman
10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh my, time to do some investigating. We may have shoota under a different username. :o:
Upon recollection, Shoota was also from Pilsen. It looks like we have a new "mega-troll" on our hands. :D:

wassagstdu
10-31-2005, 06:39 PM
(LINKY (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/sports/baseball/24curry.html)):

When Graig Nettles heard the television announcers compare Crede's defense to the plays he made for the Yankees in the 1978 World Series, he was flattered. But Nettles also felt the comparison was unfair.\

Nettles was implying that the plays he had made were spectacular and, of course, they were.

Anything done in a Yankee uniform is just a little more spectacular.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Upon recollection, Shoota was also from Pilsen. It looks like we have a new "mega-troll" on our hands. :D:LMAO!! Yep, it's shoota. Still raging about Crede. Well, technically I have to lay the lifetime ban on him for the fake username. It's too bad. If he hadn't been banned for non-baseball reasons I would have loved to let the nutcase back in for some harrassment. :D:

TheOldRoman
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
LMAO!! Yep, it's shoota. Still raging about Crede. Well, technically I have to lay the lifetime ban on him for the fake username. It's too bad. If he hadn't been banned for non-baseball reasons I would have loved to let the nutcase back in for some harrassment. :D:
Don't worry, he will be back again.:cool:
As "dinner", I think you should change his name to Shoota III or something like that. I laughed pretty hard when I saw Inta XXXVIII.

Daver
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Actually Nettles is right. As good as Joe was this postseason...if you see the films of the plays he made that Series...it was a notch higher performance. Same with Brooks.

Craig Nettles was the best third baseman since god, just ask him.

He's one of the few people I have ever seen that could out-ego George Steinbrennar.

Fuller_Schettman
10-31-2005, 06:47 PM
LMAO!! Yep, it's shoota. Still raging about Crede. Well, technically I have to lay the lifetime ban on him for the fake username. It's too bad. If he hadn't been banned for non-baseball reasons I would have loved to let the nutcase back in for some harrassment. :D:

You could always reinstate him on the condition that he uses the username "ILoveCrede" :rolling:

greenpeach
10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
You must have missed this line: "Nettles was implying that the plays he had made were spectacular and, of course, they were."

I never saw the 1978 World Series or Nettles's plays, but I did see the 2005 World Series and I find it highly likely that Nettles made more spectacular plays.

Sorry, my friend, but Nettles was right. In fact, I'll go so far as to say his defensive display exceeded even Brook Robinson's in the 1970 World Series.

TomBradley72
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Sorry, my friend, but Nettles was right. In fact, I'll go so far as to say his defensive diplay exceeded even Brook Robinson's in the 1970 World Series.

You're right....they did.

doublem23
10-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know man, if I were Nettles, I wouldn't want to be compared defensively to a guy who dropped a popup in foul ground that allowed Manny Ramirez to break a tie game with a home run on the next pitch.

True, because Nettles NEVER EVER MADE AN ERROR IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE.

:rolleyes:

Joe really shouldn't have left that hanging curveball over the plate on the next pitch anyway.

SoxFan64
10-31-2005, 10:05 PM

How can you make this kind of statement -- if you did not see or at least see the replays of it than you are letting your mouth get ahead of yourself. Don't you think??

I did see the '78 series. He was all that. IMO Nettles' defensive play in the '78 Series was even better than Brooks in '70 vs Reds.

Crede played very well -- both O & D. I think there is a strong case for Crede as this year's MVP. (Although I have no problem with Dye getting it.)

Normally I am not a big fan of NYY stuff but I still say Nettles was a biger factor in the NYY winning in 78 than Crede in 05.

I also hope we can find a fair contract for Joe to avoid arbitration and maybe even get a 3-4 year deal. But with Boros (sp?) as his agent I am not hopeful.

SoxFan64
10-31-2005, 10:12 PM
True, because Nettles NEVER EVER MADE AN ERROR IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE.

No but if you look at those of who are Sox fans and ARE saying that Nettles' play was better in 78 vs. Crede in 05 could be because we actually saw both Series.

If you have not seen Nettles play in 78 and Crede's play in 05 how can you make this type of statement.

If you want to go after Nettles because he played for the Shankees I am with you. But as a baseball fan, there is no way Crede's play this year was better than (or equal to) Nettles in 1978.

And as another poster said and I concur Nettles play was even better than Brooks play in 1970.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
If you want to go after Nettles because he played for the Shankees I am with you. But as a baseball fan, there is no way Crede's play this year was better than (or equal to) Nettles in 1978.No, we are going after Nettles because he's an *******, no more, no less. Brooks handled the issue with class. Nettles could use lessons.

Realist
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Brooks gave a classy and respectful tip of the hat to Crede.

Nettles is right about his plays being more spectacular than Crede's but Nettles is an egomaniac and a jerk.

The True Hollywood Story Behind Shoota (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=777553&postcount=142)

SoxFan64
10-31-2005, 11:08 PM
No, we are going after Nettles because he's an *******, no more, no less. Brooks handled the issue with class. Nettles could use lessons.

I don't disagree with the ego of Nettles. But IIRC this was a series of comments that Crede's play in 05 was better than or equal to Nettles play in '78.

Or am I missing something???

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't disagree with the ego of Nettles. But IIRC this was a series of comments that Crede's play in 05 was better than or equal to Nettles play in '78.

Or am I missing something???Yes, you are. You replied to shoota (dinner), who is a lunatic. Look at the 4th post in this thread for more of the real subject.

SoxFan64
10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Yes, you are. You replied to shoota (dinner), who is a lunatic. Look at the 4th post in this thread for more of the real subject.

Far West, I don't claim to be up on who is who on this list. But I may have been hooked.

I will say Brooks handles his stuff with class. Nettles is an egomanic.

But as for comparing Crede in 05 very good defensively and key hits for us.

Nettles defensive play in '78 I remember -- and there were some earlier posters (who are not trolls) that thought that Crede's defensive play was the best. Now if that was a troll -- I got hooked. Because that was who I was responding. This poster IIRC is one of the moderators. I will not call them out. But there were a few folks who jumped on Nettles play without the benefit of having seen his play.

Again if we are talking play -- Nettles '78, Brooks '70, and then Crede '05.

If we are talking egos -- Nettles anytime, and the other two are not even in the picture.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Far West, I don't claim to be up on who is who on this list. But I may have been hooked.

I will say Brooks handles his stuff with class. Nettles is an egomanic.

But as for comparing Crede in 05 very good defensively and key hits for us.

Nettles defensive play in '78 I remember -- and there were some earlier posters (who are not trolls) that thought that Crede's defensive play was the best. Now if that was a troll -- I got hooked. Because that was who I was responding. This poster IIRC is one of the moderators. I will not call them out. But there were a few folks who jumped on Nettles play without the benefit of having seen his play.

Again if we are talking play -- Nettles '78, Brooks '70, and then Crede '05.

If we are talking egos -- Nettles anytime, and the other two are not even in the picture.You were totally hooked. None of the mods said anything about Crede's plays being better than Nettles. All of us merely spoke about what an ass he is and defended Joe against the psychotic shoota. Actually I can't find a post where anybody claims Crede was better, just that Nettles is an assclown.