PDA

View Full Version : Favorite memories from 2005...

gogochisox1917
10-31-2005, 04:27 PM
...besides winning the World Series!

This was an incredible year from start to finish for the White Sox! There are so many great things that have happened all season long. What are your favorite memories or moments from the White Sox in 2005? (Like I said, besides the obvious-winning the WS :D: ).

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2005, 04:51 PM
I gotta go with voting Pods into the All-Star game, we showed that the Sox Army can defeat national opinion and that the whole team rallied around him. You know that this is a special team when all 25 guys, plus the front office rally around voting someone into an All-Star game. This also lead to the everloving "You write tomorrow's Cubune Headline" thread and this fun dealie.
:cubune

Vernam
10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Opening Day against the Tribe, when Buehrle picked up the 1-0 victory. What nice symmetry with the 1-0 clincher last Wednesday. :gulp:

Best moment I missed was AJ's walk-off HR vs. the Dodgers. My band was playing that night, so my father-in-law went to the game. He came back saying it was the greatest game he ever saw, which is NOT quite what I wanted to hear! It only held that distinction until October 22, because I got him into Game 1 of the Series. Major brownie points with my wife's dad, lemme tell you. :wink:

Sorry, it's pretty near impossible to avoid the W**** S***** topic. Another regular season highlight was Crede's walk-off against Riske and the Tribe. Possibly the biggest hit of the season.

Vernam

flo-B-flo
10-31-2005, 05:07 PM
That game against the Dodgers. Wearing the '59 replicas, AJ homered in a walkoff. That night it REALLY dawned on me how special this was becoming.

the gooch
10-31-2005, 05:07 PM
...besides winning the World Series!
how about winning the pennant then?:redneck

chisoxfan64
10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
That game against the Dodgers. Wearing the '59 replicas, AJ homered in a walkoff. That night it REALLY dawned on me how special this was becoming.

My sentiments exactly.

Over By There
10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Here I thought I might get to be the first person to mention that Dodger game... oh well.

So I'll go with my favorite memory when I was in attendance. Opening Day - beautiful day, crisp, quick game (shutout) pitched by Mark.

The_Floridian
10-31-2005, 05:19 PM
From the regular season:

#1--Cleveland game with the Boonewalk and Crede's walk-off shot. One of the best games I've ever seen.
#2--AJ's walk off against the Dodgers.
#3--Opening Day and the ninth inning comeback the following game. Set the template for the whole year.
#4--Pablo stealing home.
#5--Buehrle's 99 minute game.
#6--Every dinger Frank hit.
#7--Group Four taking down Cleveland at the end of the year.
#8--Contreras's first complete game.
#9--Buehrle starting the all-star game, and winning it.
#10--Timo's game winning single against the Angels.

From the postseason:

Everything except game 1 of the ALCS...but especially Konerko's slam, Podsednik's walk-off, Blum's dinger, Uribe going ass over teakettle in the seats, winning 1-0 to win the whole thing, the rout of Boston, Iguchi's dinger, AJ making Josh Paul look silly, four straight complete games...

Stop me anytime...
:D: :D:

Daver
10-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Orlando Hernandez against the Red Sox in game three, that may be the most dominating relief pitching performance I have ever seen.

Dan Mega
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
All of the playoffs.

Crede's game winning HR versus Cleveland late in the season to turn around the momentum.

The "You write the next Cubune headline..." thread

Innings 6, Game 3 of the ALDS

Least favorite part of the season?
-the mediots calling the Sox "chokers"
-Garcia's line versus the Twins in 1 game: 9IP 1H 1ER 1 Loss

FielderJones
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Because I was at the game, Memorial Day against the Angels. The standing ovation given to Frank, and Timo's walk-off single to win it, made it special. It was especially nice to share that with my wife and son.

gogochisox1917
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
I have dozens, if not hundreds of favorites, but I'll narrow it down to just a few.
I gotta go with the late season race to shut down the Indians, the Rangers series in May and August (only because those are the only White Sox games we usually get to attend), and opening day (always makes me giddy...can't wait to see what I'm like next spring!). :moonwalk:

darklord23
10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
i forgot who hit, but a home run in extra innings in detroit, while listening to snr's call. that and AJ's walk off home run.

The_Floridian
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
i forgot who hit, but a home run in extra innings in detroit, while listening to snr's call. that and AJ's walk off home run.

The Detroit homer was hit by Big Frank. And the game winner was Shingo.

Hoo-ah.

ShoelessJoeS
10-31-2005, 07:29 PM
During the regular season, no doubt....

:walkoff:

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Definitely the Boonewalk/Crede walk off game stands out as my favorite.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM

That's also one of the coolest pictures of all time. Aj is such a badass.

My favorite is the 1st game they played at the shrine. I bought my buddy tix for his bday (he's a cubs fan) and we both went. That was the first time watching a sox/schulbs game at wrigley and it was awesome!!!

Brian26
10-31-2005, 08:06 PM
So many to choose from....

Here's an honorable mention: The Friday night game in Seattle when Brian Anderson had the two giant homers against Felix Rodriguez.

RKMeibalane
10-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Frank Thomas hoisting the World Series trophy over his head in the Sox post-game celebration. I cried.
The final out of the World Series, and the Sox ultimate victory in Game 4. Wow.
The electricity at US Cellular Field at the start of Game 1 of the World Series- something I'll remember as long as I live.
The Sox celebration upon reaching the World Series for the first time in forty six years.
Paul Konerko carrying the Sox offense on his back to defeat the Angels in the ALCS.
The celebration in Boston at the end of the ALDS- and Chris Berman's whining.
AJ Pierzynski's walk-off home run to beat the Dodgers on June 18.
Frank Thomas' return and standing ovation on Memorial Day.
Joe Crede's walk-off home run, with Hawk screaming "Joe... Crede... YES!"
Mark Buehrle's 1:39 shutout against the Mariners in April.
The Sox clinching the division by defeating the Detroit Tigers and That Other Guy.
Carl Everett protecting Joe Crede and the rest of his teammates, shouting at Phil Garner during Game 3 of the World Series.
FarWestChicago after the series loss to the Cubs: "This is your time Dark Clouds. Enjoy it. You will pay later." Truer words were never spoken.

dcb33
10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
So many to choose from....

Here's an honorable mention: The Friday night game in Seattle when Brian Anderson had the two giant homers against Felix Rodriguez.

There were finally some good West Coast memories this year!

Another game that deserves mention was the Sunday afternoon game in San Diego where Rowand hit a 3 run bomb off Hoffman in the top of the 10th to give the Sox an 8-5 lead. That score held capping a 5-1 western road trip.

LuvSox
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Coincidence that I was at these three games:

Opening day, Crede's walk-off against Cleveland and Ozuna stealing home.

But the best, bar none, was El Duque pitching in Boston. That's when I knew this was the year.

mike squires
10-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Because I was at the game, Memorial Day against the Angels. The standing ovation given to Frank, and Timo's walk-off single to win it, made it special. It was especially nice to share that with my wife and son.

Ditto for me only I have a daughter. What a day. Brooklynne's first game ever, Franks first day back and got Minnie's autograph. I remember thinking we had a chance with Everett up and when he went down I thought it was OVA. But oh no, Timo came up huge and sent us all home happy. Of all the games I've been to that was the first come from behind bottom of the 9th I ever saw.

Blaring the homeruns off Wickman in the 9th with tears in my eyes.

A.J's homerun against the Dodgers.

Chips
10-31-2005, 10:18 PM

My favorite regukar season game, all with two outs. ****ing awesome. I love AJ.

buehrle4cy05
10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
The AJ bomb.

Joe....Crede!!!!!!!!!

Buehrle's 99 minute game...which I was at.

Rowand's crazy defensive series in New York.

Memorial Day vs. the Angels where Timo came up big.

The day after where JD hit a walk-off.

The game where they came back from down 6 against Arizona to win.

Game 2 of the season, where Pauly and JD when yard and Juan had a walk-off sac fly.

doublem23
10-31-2005, 10:31 PM
The game against Tampa Bay when Podsednik was announced as the last man on the AL All-Star squad was great, I was in the left field bleachers for that one. I was a little dissapointed that Lou Piniella didn't start his bullpen and close with his starters like he said he would, but it's OK.

McCarthy's gem in Boston on Labor Day was a great game, Corey Patterson dropping Paul Konerko's double at Wrigley, Game 1 of the ALDS was amazing, and the 2nd win against Cleveland when Konerko and Dye went back-to-back... Man, so many memories.

But the play of the year has to be Juan Uribe's catch in the 9th at Houston. Unreal; the only other play I can remember that even comes close to that was Ray Durham's circus catch in the top of the 1st in the 2000 Home Opener against Anaheim.

Chips
10-31-2005, 10:55 PM
The game against Tampa Bay when Podsednik was announced as the last man on the AL All-Star squad was great, I was in the left field bleachers for that one. I was a little dissapointed that Lou Piniella didn't start his bullpen and close with his starters like he said he would, but it's OK.

McCarthy's gem in Boston on Labor Day was a great game, Corey Patterson dropping Paul Konerko's double at Wrigley, Game 1 of the ALDS was amazing, and the 2nd win against Cleveland when Konerko and Dye went back-to-back... Man, so many memories.

But the play of the year has to be Juan Uribe's catch in the 9th at Houston. Unreal; the only other play I can remember that even comes close to that was Ray Durham's circus catch in the top of the 1st in the 2000 Home Opener against Anaheim.

I thought Lou was going to do that for the July 4th game, when there was a rain delay for an hour or so. But maybe it was that game, I was hoping he would do it too.

LuvSox
10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
I forgot a couple:

Four dingers in one inning against Randy Johnson.

Rowand's defense in Yankee stadium.

chisoxmike
10-31-2005, 11:05 PM
In terms of games I went to... (besides the postseason)

1) A.J. walkoff game. As chips said, all with two outs, down to their last strike, AMAZING. (Reminded me of the 2004 game, also one of my all time favorites, Crede's bomb in the 9th against the Tigers. They came back from being down 6-2 in the 7th.)

2) Opening Day. By far the best opening day I've been to. And the weather...!!!!

3) 4/18 vs Twins: Carl w/ 2 HRs. Bitch slapped the Twins that night.

4) 4/16 vs Mariners: Buehrle's 1hr 42min gem.
5) 5/30 vs. Angles: Timo winning hit, Frank comes back.

Moments... (besides the playoffs)

-The divison clincher
-Crede walk off against the Indians on 9/20, hell that whole game was one of the best of the season.
-Rowand extra inning HR in San Diego
-Podsednik getting voted on the All Star Team
- 7/18 vs Tigers, comeback victory in 7th. Highlighted with a Konerko HR, and a Crede go-ahead HR.
- 6/15 vs Diamondbacks, 10-run 6th inning. With a little help from the choice.
- The 3 well played games in New York
-4 HR's against Randy Johnson

Playoffs:
-ALDS Game 1
-El Duque pitching out of a jam
-Iguchi HR in Game 2 of ALDS
-Winning the pennant
-World Series Game 2, Konerko Slam, Podsednik...you know the rest
-Blum HR
and of course... winning the world series.
-watching it with my fellow WSI friends chisoxfanatic, chips, the dude, chisoxgirl, hangar18, ironfisk.

ChiSoxGirl
10-31-2005, 11:12 PM
So, so many! I'll go chronologically.

April
~ Buehrle's 99 minute, 12 strikeout gem against Seattle- I was there!

May
~ Garland strikes out Tejada in a critical point in the game, therefore turning the momentum.
~ Podsednik steals 4 bases in a Saturday night game against Baltimore.

June
~ An 11-run inning against the Diamondbacks for the come-from-behind win!
~ A.J.'s thrilling walkoff shot a few nights later against the Dodgers when the players were rockin' the '59 jerseys.
~ That same night, Freddy Garcia gets lit up in the first couple innings, but settles in nicely and gets stronger.

July
~ Mark Buehrle on the microphone asking for the fans to VOTE FOR SCOTT!
~ Contreras' 1-0 blanking of the Indians at The Jake to open the second half of the season.

August
~ The phenomenal defense of one Aaron Rowand in New York throughout the entire series.
~ The masterful pitching performance of Freddy Garcia on a Wednesday afternoon and the team later beating Rivera for the 2-1 win.

September
~ Pablo Ozuna steals home on Core of the Core Night!
~ The walkoff homerun against Cleveland by none other than JOE... CREDE!
~ Winning the division in Detriot.
~ Crushing the playoff hopes of the Indians & their fans by sweeping them during the last series of the season!

October
~ Every single inning of every single game of the post season.
~ Being crowned American League Champions!
~ Being crowned WORLD CHAMPIONS!
~ Celebrating with my WSI friends at Puffers throughout the entire month!

This entire season was filled with good times and great memories (with some great people) that I'll never, ever forget. Thanks, White Sox for making this a season to remember! :smile:

Norberto7
10-31-2005, 11:21 PM
The moment that stood out for me the most in 2005 was the rain delay before the Sunday afternoon game of September 25th against the Twins. Having just won two in a row after losing 3 of 4 to Cleveland and Minnesota, the Sox were waiting to play the Twins generous "B" team. Unknown to those of us in attendance that Buehrle and the Sox would go on to slay the potent Twins lineup and the beloved Royals would stage a rally to upend the Indians in a most belabored bit of out-of-town score watching, it was a curious mood at the stadium. Sitting in my seat as the rain fell, with the unknowns of the future lingering, the sounds of Greenday on the PA system seemed eerie and surreal...

Here comes the rain again,
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when september ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began

In a time when I was caught in between hope and uncertainty for the Sox, it struck a resoudingly relevant chord. For that reason, that was my most memorable moment of 2005.

ElDuque26
10-31-2005, 11:24 PM
I had the priviledge to see some awsome games this season. The first was JDye's walk off against Donnely...awsome may game...then i saw the sox end that 7 game losing streak w/ the back-to-back-to-back followed by widges three run bomb...Finally, Tadahito flippin the bat as boomer watched the ball sail into the night for the sox to sweep the home end of boston and go up 2-0 in the series...Great Games for me all season.

chisoxfan83
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
The moment that stood out for me the most in 2005 was the rain delay before the Sunday afternoon game of September 25th against the Twins. Having just won two in a row after losing 3 of 4 to Cleveland and Minnesota, the Sox were waiting to play the Twins generous "B" team. Unknown to those of us in attendance that Buehrle and the Sox would go on to slay the potent Twins lineup and the beloved Royals would stage a rally to upend the Indians in a most belabored bit of out-of-town score watching, it was a curious mood at the stadium. Sitting in my seat as the rain fell, with the unknowns of the future lingering, the sounds of Greenday on the PA system seemed eerie and surreal...

Here comes the rain again,
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began

In a time when I was caught in between hope and uncertainty for the Sox, it struck a resoudingly relevant chord. For that reason, that was my most memorable moment of 2005.

wow yeah now that i think about it those lyrics a really relavent here..i was at that game and watching the scoreboard very nervously. I did go up to get something to drink and saw people in the suites cheering i knew kc had come back but how the crowd reacted i will never forget.

StockdaleForVeep
10-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Not really a fave but has to be mentioned due to my rotten luck

I was at one of the 4 losses we had in the month of may(i believe it was may) when garcia(who was 9-0 during day games) got beat by the mariners, ichiro lead off with a homer

99 wins, and i was a part of 2 losses?!?!!?

Norberto7
10-31-2005, 11:44 PM
wow yeah now that i think about it those lyrics a really relavent here..i was at that game and watching the scoreboard very nervously. I did go up to get something to drink and saw people in the suites cheering i knew kc had come back but how the crowd reacted i will never forget.

Yeah, I could have sworn the Sox played about 3 innings while Cle/KC was in the bottom of the 9th.

peeonwrigley
10-31-2005, 11:58 PM

What a day that was. Great narrative w/ the Green Day lyrics, I remember it so clearly as well. Another cool memory was the team showing the Bears game during the rain delay. Good move right there by whomever made that decision. That game (and what happened in KC) was my "everything is gonna be alright" moment for the season. Buehrle was a stud: CG, 4 hits, 1 run, 6 K's, 0 BB's... ho hum, all in under 2 hours.

Oh, and they gave out a pretty cool poster of the World Series Champs that looks damn good on my wall.

That was my favorite game of the 15 I attended, barely ahead of Crede's extra inning walkoff earlier that week.

Garland_IS_God
11-01-2005, 12:04 AM

Agreed! I was at that game sitting in the Bullpen Sports Bar. Great game!!

ferdinandshen
11-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Agreed! I was at that game sitting in the Bullpen Sports Bar. Great game!!

This one was one of a few games I can watch live during the season in california. I never had any doubt that we'll come back and win the game.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 12:19 AM
2nd game of the season....Uribe's sac fly wins the game after Konerko and Dye's homers in the 9th had tied it. Very small but intense crowd on hand for a cold April weekday game....a very early hint of what would follow.

ATXBMX
11-01-2005, 03:46 AM
One of those games against Colorado really stood out for me. We went into the 8th inning leading 5-4. 6 singles, a sac bunt, a sac fly, and an error later, we would lead 11-4. Can you say small ball?

Crede came off the bench as a defensive replacement to hit a 2 run homer in the 9th, followed by big Frank's pinch hit, 450 foot bomb to straight away center field. Can you say long ball?

Final score 15-5. Sox offense erupts for 22 hits. Every starter, even El Duque, gets a hit. Cliff Politte added an RBI single and a run scored for good measure.

Chrisaway
11-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Neil Cotts-that man kicked some tail this year