PDA

View Full Version : Mini Giambi found with marijuana

Soxheads
12-14-2001, 06:53 PM
ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- Oakland Athletics designated hitter Jeremy Giambi was cited at McCarran International Airport after security officers said they found about a half-ounce of marijuana in his bag.

"It happened at 9:30 a.m. Monday during a routine security check," Las Vegas police spokesman Tirso Dominguez told The Associated Press on Thursday.

"While going through the checkpoints, airport personnel found what appeared to be marijuana," he said.

Police cited Giambi, who was traveling to Phoenix, with a misdemeanor for possession of a controlled substance.

He was allowed to continue on to his flight, said airport unit Lt. Ted Moody.

"We didn't have him long. We impounded the marijuana, wrote the citation and sent him on his way," Moody told the Las Vegas Sun. "He got a ticket just like anyone else would."

A McCarran spokeswoman confirmed Thursday that Giambi was cited while attempting to pass through a security checkpoint, but said the incident was turned over to police.

A January court date was set for the 27-year-old slugger who owns a home in Henderson.

A spokesman for the Oakland Athletics could not be immediately reached for comment and Giambi was unavailable.

Giambi signed on with the Athletics in spring 2000.

He played for Oakland with his older brother, Jason Giambi, who signed a $120 million, seven-year contract with the New York Yankees on Thursday.

Jeremy Giambi made his big-league debut with the Kansas City Royals in 1998.

This past season, he played first base, outfield and designated hitter for Oakland as he hit .283, with 12 home runs and 57 RBI, in 124 games.

A new Nevada law that went into effect Oct. 1 eased penalties for possessing small amounts of marijuana.

Formerly a felony, possession of an ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum $600 fine for a first offense -- instead of the old felony provisions of up to four years in prison.

Daver
12-14-2001, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- Oakland Athletics designated hitter Jeremy Giambi was cited at McCarran International Airport after security officers said they found about a half-ounce of marijuana in his bag.

"It happened at 9:30 a.m. Monday during a routine security check," Las Vegas police spokesman Tirso Dominguez told The Associated Press on Thursday.

"While going through the checkpoints, airport personnel found what appeared to be marijuana," he said.

Police cited Giambi, who was traveling to Phoenix, with a misdemeanor for possession of a controlled substance.

He was allowed to continue on to his flight, said airport unit Lt. Ted Moody.

"We didn't have him long. We impounded the marijuana, wrote the citation and sent him on his way," Moody told the Las Vegas Sun. "He got a ticket just like anyone else would."

A McCarran spokeswoman confirmed Thursday that Giambi was cited while attempting to pass through a security checkpoint, but said the incident was turned over to police.

A January court date was set for the 27-year-old slugger who owns a home in Henderson.

A spokesman for the Oakland Athletics could not be immediately reached for comment and Giambi was unavailable.

Giambi signed on with the Athletics in spring 2000.

He played for Oakland with his older brother, Jason Giambi, who signed a $120 million, seven-year contract with the New York Yankees on Thursday.

Jeremy Giambi made his big-league debut with the Kansas City Royals in 1998.

This past season, he played first base, outfield and designated hitter for Oakland as he hit .283, with 12 home runs and 57 RBI, in 124 games.

A new Nevada law that went into effect Oct. 1 eased penalties for possessing small amounts of marijuana.

Formerly a felony, possession of an ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum $600 fine for a first offense -- instead of the old felony provisions of up to four years in prison.

Must have been on his way to meet Nate Newton.

Chisox_cali
12-14-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by daver

Must have been on his way to meet Nate Newton.

BAHA! :)

ExSoxFan
12-14-2001, 07:50 PM
Heard Jason on the dan Patrick radio show, tsk-tsking his brother a little bit. Something about being young, and making mistakes, and having to grow up.

Wonder how long he'll buy into this super-serious Yankee crap?
The first time a spat with his fiancee gets into the paper, I think he'll start to rethink his decision to play in the fishbowl.

He mentioned Scores strip club about eight times in a ten-minute interview, so I think there WILL be some spats with the little lady to write about!
:D:

MikeKreevich
12-14-2001, 07:51 PM
Did you see his brother getting all misty eyed when he was being introduced to the New York press.
And to think I used to like the guy. What a little b..ch. Now I like his brother better. When the sox whip the yanks in the A.C.L.S. it will be like the American hockey team beating the Russians in the Olympics. You gotta believe.

ExSoxFan
12-14-2001, 08:02 PM
I'm just pissed off about all the players I USED to like that I have to hate now, in keeping with my "Hate EVERY Yankee EVER" policy.

Used to like Mussina, Giambi, Ventura, Clemens, and the list goes on and on and on...

:angry:

F'N YANK-MEES!!!!
How the F*** does that team turn a profit every year?
Does King George siphon blood from his players and sell it???

RedPinStripes
12-14-2001, 08:09 PM
I hate every Yankee, but I can't turn on Robin. It wasn't his choice anyway. He probably don't mind the ring he'll get though.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
12-14-2001, 10:47 PM
LOL If I found out my brother signed a contract with the Yank-mees i'd be smoking some ***** too.

LOL
LOL
LOL