PDA

View Full Version : Epstein, Red Sox agree on a three-year contract

Fenway
10-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Epstein, Red Sox agree on a three-year contract (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/31/epstein_red_sox_agree_on_a_three_year_contract)

Theo Epstein and the Red Sox have agreed to a three-year extension, keeping the Brookline native in place as the team's GM through the 2008 season, according to multiple sources. No news conference was scheduled as of last night, but the deal is expected to be announced either today or tomorrow. (By Chris Snow and Gordon Edes, Today's Globe)

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Theo Epstein is one of the smarter GM's in baseball. Look for him to bounce back this year and make some blockbuster moves in the off-season.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Theo Epstein is one of the smarter GM's in baseball. Look for him to bounce back this year and make some blockbuster moves in the off-season.
Well, you have been kissing Epsteins ass and giving him way too much credit for a few days. I think he isn't nearly as good of a GM as many believe. He won't sign Konerko, I garauntee that. The Red Sox don't have the money. Unless he is able to move Manny (and accept eating much of his salary), the Red Sox won't be able to do ANYTHING in the offseason. They almost have to resign Damon, and they have to either bring back Mueller or find a replacement. They also need 1 or 2 starting pitchers and 3 new relievers. They will have a very Cub-like offseason (Hendry taking a mediocre team in 04 and making them worse in the offseason while addressing none of their glaring holes).

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Well, you have been kissing Epsteins ass and giving him way too much credit for a few days. I think he isn't nearly as good of a GM as many believe. He won't sign Konerko, I garauntee that. The Red Sox don't have the money. Unless he is able to move Manny (and accept eating much of his salary), the Red Sox won't be able to do ANYTHING in the offseason. They almost have to resign Damon, and they have to either bring back Mueller or find a replacement. They also need 1 or 2 starting pitchers and 3 new relievers. They will have a very Cub-like offseason (Hendry taking a mediocre team in 04 and making them worse in the offseason while addressing none of their glaring holes).

Hey, I'm not an Epstein or a Red Cub fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do give credit where credit is do and the man took one of the most futile franchises of the 21st century and put together a team that won the world series.

Iwritecode
10-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey, I'm not an Epstein or a Red Cub fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do give credit where credit is do and the man took one of the most futile franchises of the 21st century and put together a team that won the world series.

When did he become the GM of the Cubs?

The Red Sox have made the post-season 6 times in the last 10 years. Considering they share a division with a team that makes it every single damn year that's not too bad really...

TheOldRoman
10-31-2005, 03:47 PM
That is true, but most of the pieces were in place when he took over. Pretty much all he did was trade for Schilling, sign Folke, and get Mueller. The trading of Nomar was big, although I don't think Cabrera did much for them that he couldn't. He made some good moves, but time will tell whether or not he is a good GM.

MUsoxfan
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM

They weren't all that futile. 10 playoff appearances since 1967. They just had some bad luck once they got there.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey, I'm not an Epstein or a Red Cub fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do give credit where credit is do and the man took one of the most futile franchises of the 21st century and put together a team that won the world series.:?: How were the Wrong Sox futile before the fake FOBB? They were a perennial playoff team.

34 Inch Stick
10-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Thank the Lord for this glorious news. What would the Red Sox have done if they could not have re signed Theo Epstein.

I guess all you need for genius consideration in baseball these days is a birthdate after 1965. Hey, that makes me a genius as well! I'll make those stupid grade school teachers eat their words.

SOXintheBURGH
10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Now we can all go back to our normal lives. :rolleyes:

Cambridge
10-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Thank the Lord for this glorious news. What would the Red Sox have done if they could not have re signed Theo Epstein.

We may find out. A Boston TV station is reporting that he's cleaning out his desk as I type this.

The_Floridian
10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
So...can we start the Dewey Defeats Truman jokes yet?

nodiggity59
10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Epstein is extrememly over rated. His World Series would have been nowhere without Pedro and Lowe, who he dumped, and Ortiz who was better beyond anyone's (including Theo's) wildest dreams (he should've gone to Vegas with that luck, an MVP for peanuts?). His two shrewd moves (signing Foulke and trading for Schilling) were no brainers for a guy w/ $120mil.

He needs to do much better to impress me. Kenny forged a 99 win, 11-1 postseason on $75 mil. Epstein did it post 2001 Yankees (aka Playstation GM) style.

havelj
10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
He gone! (and can we please not lump teams that don't win it all as "futile"?) The Red Sox have been a very good franchise for many consecutive decades - they just didn't win it all. The White Sox had the 4th best record in the 90's and didn't win - but we weren't futile. Don't confuse the lack of winning a World Series with a losing franchise. There is only one team like that and they play on the northside. But by golly, they sure are lovable!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2209574