PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Hero

hold2dibber
10-31-2005, 01:23 PM
I think one of the guy's who hasn't received nearly enough credit for this wonderful and historic seasons is Dustin Hermanson. He was absolutely fantastic all year long and battled through a painful injury to boot. The Sox could not have established the huge central division lead if he had not done such a fantastic job filling in when Takatsu imploded. More importantly, the guy made not a single wave after Jenks replaced him and got all the love and attention down the stretch and in the playoffs. To me, no one on the team personified the ego-less, team-first approach more than Hermanson.

XplodingScorbord
10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Agreed. Despite his bad back, he was a stand up guy (pardon the pun).

starboy0
10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Amen to that. He was huge first half and never complained when Jenks took over.

mattcoz
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
I was very happy to see him get his praise at the rally.

Canadian_SoxFan
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
I think one of the guy's who hasn't received nearly enough credit for this wonderful and historic seasons is Dustin Hermanson. He was absolutely fantastic all year long and battled through a painful injury to boot. The Sox could not have established the huge central division lead if he had not done such a fantastic job filling in when Takatsu imploded. More importantly, the guy made not a single wave after Jenks replaced him and got all the love and attention down the stretch and in the playoffs. To me, no one on the team personified the ego-less, team-first approach more than Hermanson. I agree, he carried us the first half of the season. And as much as I want him on this team, he deserves a chance to be a closer somewhere else.

mccoydp
10-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Dustin was the epitome of "team player" this year. Jenks if awesome, but, just from his contributions for much of the year, I really wanted to see Dustin get the last out to win the WS.

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree. I was at the game in KC where it all fell apart for Dustin and I felt bad for him. The way he bit his tongue upon being replaced by a kid from double A ball really helped the clubhouse chemistry remain solid going into the postseason.

veeter
10-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Dustin's numbers speak for themselves.

BeviBall!
10-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Dustin and Cliff were the MVPs of the first half. Jenks and Cotts were the studs, in the second half. We had quite the bullpen in 2005, didn't we?

asindc
10-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Agreed. Hermy was one of the charter members of the "25 men in" approach Ozzie instilled in this team.

MadetoOrta
10-31-2005, 02:33 PM
With a healthy back, Dustin, Cliff P, Neal Cotts and _____, make a formidable 8th & 9th inning bullpen. Dustin can become for jenks what Flash Gordon was to Rivera the past 2 years. What a great thread. He does personify the selflessness of this team.

wilburaga
10-31-2005, 02:36 PM
And I give the manager a lot of credit for getting us through two episodes of 'When Good Closers go Bad', without costing us a heap of games.

W

soxfanatlanta
10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Dustin and Cliff were the MVPs of the first half. Jenks and Cotts were the studs, in the second half. We had quite the bullpen in 2005, didn't we?

+1

Considering how hard it is to field an effective bullpen, I hope KW does not tinker with it too much. Marte could go, but keep as many of the rest as you can by sending them some love (aka: $)

Stroker Ace
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Dustin doesn't get the credit he deserves. He ws a huge part of the bullpen for the first half of the season.

The_Floridian
10-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Great post.

The sad part is I don't think he'll be back next year. Jenks, Cotts, Politte and Vizcaino aren't leaving, and as much as everyone wants to drop Marte, he's got two years left on his contract and nobody's going to take him after the season he just had.

That leaves one spot for either Hermanson or El Duque (after McCarthy replaces him in the rotation). Obviously, KW is going to try and get somebody to take the Duke and his 4.5 mil off hour hands for next year. But if he can't, Duque's in the pen next season and Dustin walks. And even if he can, Dustin might cost more than we're willing to spend for an extra arm.

Still, it would be nice to have some insurance in case Jenks has problems, so maybe. Maybe.

wilburaga
10-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Hermanson is signed through 2006 with a club option for 2007.

W

The_Floridian
10-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Hermanson is signed through 2006 with a club option for 2007.

W

He is? Well...

I suppose that makes me an official

:dumbass:

the gooch
10-31-2005, 05:19 PM
so does anybody know if shingo gets a ring?
i understood parting with him but he was SO fun to watch when he was on.
[end hijack]

chisoxfan64
10-31-2005, 07:25 PM
To Dustin:gulp: