PDA

View Full Version : Mike Piazza to the Sox?

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok guys, here is my thinking. If we can't resign Konerko, what about the possibility of signing Mike Piazza? We can take the money left over from not signing Konerko and Widger to sign him. Having Piazza would serve two purposes: starting first baseman and back-up catcher when AJ needs a day off or a lefty is on the mound. There are rumors that he is not interested in coming back to the Mets and I think he'd be a good fit for us. He is an intense competetor and would be a veteran leader in the clubhouse. Plus, if we lose Paulie it wouldn't hurt to have another power bat in the line-up.

CHIsoxNation
10-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Ok guys, here is my thinking. If we can't resign Konerko(and we know Theo Epstein gets up pretty early in the morning trying to insure that we won't) what about the possibility of signing Mike Piazza? We can take the money left over from not signing Konerko and Widger to sign him. Having Piazza would serve two purposes: starting first baseman and back-up catcher when AJ needs a day off or a lefty is on the mound. There are rumors that he is not interested in coming back to the Mets and I think he'd be a good fit for us. He is an intense competetor and would be a veteran leader in the clubhouse. Plus, if we lose Paulie it wouldn't hurt to have another power bat in the line-up.

Isn't he like 84 now? I'd pass.

itsnotrequired
10-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Ok guys, here is my thinking. If we can't resign Konerko(and we know Theo Epstein gets up pretty early in the morning trying to insure that we won't) what about the possibility of signing Mike Piazza? We can take the money left over from not signing Konerko and Widger to sign him. Having Piazza would serve two purposes: starting first baseman and back-up catcher when AJ needs a day off or a lefty is on the mound. There are rumors that he is not interested in coming back to the Mets and I think he'd be a good fit for us. He is an intense competetor and would be a veteran leader in the clubhouse. Plus, if we lose Paulie it wouldn't hurt to have another power bat in the line-up.

Let's see, a 37 year old player making $16 million this year with declining numbers over the last 5 years.

Pass.

If the Sox don't want to sign Paulie for $14 million a year, why the hell would they go out and sign a dinosaur for even more?

VenturaSoxFan23
10-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Let's see, a 37 year old player making $16 million this year with declining numbers over the last 5 years.

Pass.

If the Sox don't want to sign Paulie for $14 million a year, why the hell would they go out and sign a dinosaur for even more?

So we can show Carl Everett that dinosaurs do exist and live & work among us. :tongue:

itsnotrequired
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
So we can show Carl Everett that dinosaurs do exist and live & work among us. :tongue:

I wonder how long it would take for someone to walk through the door I opened. Looks like under 10 minutes...:D:

Rocky Soprano
10-31-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd rather have Gload play 1st base.
And that would suck!

mjmcend
10-31-2005, 12:53 PM

Pass.

He isn't going to get anywhere near $16 million in his new contract. Probably less than $5.

itsnotrequired
10-31-2005, 12:57 PM
He isn't going to get anywhere near $16 million in his new contract. Probably less than $5.

Oh, I realize that. Still, this is a stupid trade idea even if the Sox could get him for only $5 million. Personally, I think he will get at least $7 million.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
This will only work out if the Sox want to lead the league in player's wives who were Playboy Playmates.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Piazza is damn near worthless at this point in his career. Carl Everett will put up better numbers than him next year. Piazza is a great guy, and a team player, but he is not the player we need. If we can't resign Konerko (and he WON'T go to Boston, they have too many other holes) KW will trade for Carlos Delgado, book it.

house215
10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
And Piazza is a horrible 1st basemen.

LuvSox
10-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Piazza? No.

Let's hope they keep the roster jack-ass-free next season.

Stroker Ace
10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Piazza? No.

Let's hope they keep the roster jack-ass-free next season.same feelings here. I forsee Piaza going to Tampa, Pittsburgh, or some other crappy team that will pay him just so they can say that they have a future HOF'er on their roster.

mjharrison72
10-31-2005, 04:14 PM
same feelings here. I forsee Piaza going to Tampa, Pittsburgh, or some other crappy team that will pay him just so they can say that they have a future HOF'er on their roster.
Baltimore. You forgot Baltimore.

mjmcend
10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Oh, I realize that. Still, this is a stupid trade idea even if the Sox could get him for only $5 million. Personally, I think he will get at least $7 million.

It is not a trade since he is a free agent, but I agree, he should only be thought of as a last option after Konerko (obviously), Giles, Thome, Delgado, Helton, Griffey, and probably others not coming to mind right now.

Ol' No. 2
10-31-2005, 04:37 PM
It is not a trade since he is a free agent, but I agree, he should only be thought of as a last option after Konerko (obviously), Giles, Thome, Delgado, Helton, Griffey, and probably others not coming to mind right now.I forgot the exact numbers on Helton's contract, but they're similar to what's being discussed for Konerko. If they don't re-sign PK, you could likely get Helton for almost nothing in trade if you were to assume the whole contract. That's a HELL of a lot better than Piazza.

itsnotrequired
10-31-2005, 04:37 PM
It is not a trade since he is a free agent, but I agree, he should only be thought of as a last option after Konerko (obviously), Giles, Thome, Delgado, Helton, Griffey, and probably others not coming to mind right now.

Sorry, I just meant idea with out the word "trade".

Jjav829
10-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I forgot the exact numbers on Helton's contract, but they're similar to what's being discussed for Konerko. If they don't re-sign PK, you could likely get Helton for almost nothing in trade if you were to assume the whole contract. That's a HELL of a lot better than Piazza.

It's not quite the same. Helton will make $16.60 in each of the next 5 years. He will make $19.10 million in 2011. There is also a $4.6 million buyout for the 2012 season and a ridiculously high $23 million option which won't be exercised. Also, Konerko is 29. Helton is 32. Signing Konerko for 5 years would wrap him up until he is 34. Helton is under contract until he is 38.

Ol' No. 2
10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
It's not quite the same. Helton will make $16.60 in each of the next 5 years. He will make $19.10 million in 2011. There is also a $4.6 million buyout for the 2012 season and a ridiculously high $23 million option which won't be exercised. Also, Konerko is 29. Helton is 32. Signing Konerko for 5 years would wrap him up until he is 34. Helton is under contract until he is 38.OUCH!!! I stand corrected. Still, it probably wouldn't be that costly in trade value to get the Rox to eat enough to get it down to PK numbers.

ATXBMX
10-31-2005, 04:50 PM
It's not quite the same. Helton will make $16.60 in each of the next 5 years. He will make $19.10 million in 2011. There is also a $4.6 million buyout for the 2012 season and a ridiculously high $23 million option which won't be exercised. Also, Konerko is 29. Helton is 32. Signing Konerko for 5 years would wrap him up until he is 34. Helton is under contract until he is 38.

Yeah, it's more like Manny's contract, and I would take Helton over Ramirez any day.

Domeshot17
10-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Epstein wants Konerko to stay with the White Sox

He is not a member of the Red Sox Anymore

mccoydp
10-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Piazza? Ugh. No.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Piazza at 6 million? Sure. But I'd much rather keep Frank and try to get him a ring--where he actually contributes.

Deadguy
10-31-2005, 11:15 PM

I wouldn't want him for 5 dollars at this point. His value was always his offense as a catcher, and now that his offense has hit rock bottom, he'd be a liablilty, not an asset.