PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bob Broeg

Viva Medias B's
10-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Bob Broeg, the longtime sports St. Louis Post-Dispatch sportswriter, passed away last Friday at the age of 87.

Link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/deathsobituaries/story/44BBE92305768E1B862570A900159F65?OpenDocument)

Knoxville Sox
10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Great writer who pulled no punches. He was as strong writing about football as he was with his baseball efforts. Have a book of his on Missouri football written in the mid-70s as a part of a series of college football histories. He called the Tigers out for not admitting black players until the 1950s and for having a Missouri-only recruiting policy up until that same decade (most books from that series gloss over segregation in college football). One of the most objective histories of a sports team I've ever read from someone with a rooting interest in the club.

TheLittleBulldog
11-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Bob Broeg was married to my Mom's first cousin for about 30 years, so I had the good fortune of speaking to him about baseball and college football on a number of occasions. Since my obsession with the White Sox began in 1990, every family wedding Bob came in town for would lead to me bombarding him with baseball questions for hours. A Hall of Fame baseball writer humoring a teenage pest. When he published his autobiography in 1995, he sent me a copy, which arrived the eve of two-a-days for my Sophmore high school football season. I stayed up all night reading it and showed up bleary eyed the next day. Bob was a true class act and a legend in St. Louis. Cardinals fans were lucky to have him.