PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Writers

Buehrle > Wood
10-31-2005, 02:27 AM
I was watching the Sports Writers tonight on ESPN and Mitch Albom said something to the effect of "The 2005 world series will be remembered more for teams that DIDN'T make it there." Then went on to blab about the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals.

Right Mitch, the White Sox first world series victory since 1917 won't be remembered...

:rolleyes:

Banix12
10-31-2005, 02:56 AM
I was watching the Sports Writers tonight on ESPN and Mitch Albom said something to the effect of "The 2005 world series will be remembered more for teams that DIDN'T make it there." Then went on to blab about the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals.

Right Mitch, the White Sox first world series victory since 1917 won't be remembered...

:rolleyes:

In a way he's right at least in the near future. Next season the big topics of media conversation are probably going to be the failures of the Yankees, Red Sox and Cardinals. Certainly the white sox will be talked about but probably not in the same volume.

However in the distant future, say 5 to 10 years, the white sox and astros will be all that will be remembered by most people. Usually as you get farther and farther away from the year in question the general public begins to forget who played in the opening rounds of the playoffs or the issues with the teams that weren't in the world series.

TDog
10-31-2005, 03:32 AM
What other teams made the postseason when the Diamondbacks won the championship? The Braves, of course, but that's the easy answer because the Braves always make the postseason and almost always miss the World Series. It was only a few years ago, but now no one cares, except fans of the teams that didn't make the World Series. The White Sox lost to the Dodgers in 1959, but in all the discussion lately of the 1959 World Series, I didn't hear anyone talking about the Milwaukee Braves losing a heartbreaking playoff series with the Dodgers to break a National League tie in the pre-division days. For that matter, how many people remember that the 1969 Mets upset the Atlanta Braves before upsetting the Orioles (who had routed Billy Martin's Twins)? No one cares.

If these sports reporters had to work for a living, they would starve.

Iron Dragon
10-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mitch Albom is a moron.

SoxFan76
10-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Times are changing. The Yankees have proved since 2000 that money doesn't win championships. It wins division titles, but not championships. The future of the MLB is now. The Brewers, the Astros, the Sox, maybe the Blue Jays, Indians, maybe the Padres, possibly the Tigers (a long shot), and who knows what other surprises may pop up.

It could make for some exciting baseball that's not dominated by the Yankees or Red Sox. And I have a feeling for at least the next few years, that the Sox and Indians will become the Central's version of the Yankees and Red Sox. Both teams are damn good and don't look to be fading away any time soon.

DSpivack
10-31-2005, 12:57 PM
What other teams made the postseason when the Diamondbacks won the championship? The Braves, of course, but that's the easy answer because the Braves always make the postseason and almost always miss the World Series. It was only a few years ago, but now no one cares, except fans of the teams that didn't make the World Series. The White Sox lost to the Dodgers in 1959, but in all the discussion lately of the 1959 World Series, I didn't hear anyone talking about the Milwaukee Braves losing a heartbreaking playoff series with the Dodgers to break a National League tie in the pre-division days. For that matter, how many people remember that the 1969 Mets upset the Atlanta Braves before upsetting the Orioles (who had routed Billy Martin's Twins)? No one cares.

If these sports reporters had to work for a living, they would starve.

The Yankees will be remembered for losing it that year. :rolleyes:

ATXBMX
10-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Of course, there is an exception. People talk about the 2003 cubs more than they talk about the 2003 Marlins.

Unregistered
10-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Of course, there is an exception. People talk about the 2003 cubs more than they talk about the 2003 Marlins....and people talk more about Steve Bartman than the actual 2003 Cubs team. It's a vicious cycle. :cool:

jabrch
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Mitch - you remember it for whatever you want. It won't be for how well your Detroit Tigers did - I can promise you that. I'll remember it for this...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051028/capt.cx12210282119.white_sox_celebration_cx122.jpg

Mitch Albon - You are a pudtastic moron. I guarantee you the Yanks, Red Sox, Cards, Cubs, etc. won't be remembering this World Series very much. In fact, most of them probably didn't watch much of it at all.

Dan Mega
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
http://www.albom.com/images/mitch_photo.gif

"I also look in the mirror and convince myself that I am not Scott Baio"

Settembrini
10-31-2005, 09:14 PM
The question is, will people remember Mitch Albom more for his cliche-ridden maudlin "novels," or for getting caught making up a story about Michigan State alumni in the Detroit Free Press?

Banix12
10-31-2005, 11:33 PM
The question is, will people remember Mitch Albom more for his cliche-ridden maudlin "novels," or for getting caught making up a story about Michigan State alumni in the Detroit Free Press?

All he will ever be remembered for is "Tuesdays with Morrie". Frankly before that I never even knew Mitch Albom the sportswriter existed.

Chips
10-31-2005, 11:45 PM
All he will ever be remembered for is "Tuesdays with Morrie". Frankly before that I never even knew Mitch Albom the sportswriter existed.

You are not alone.

LuvSox
11-01-2005, 12:15 AM
http://www.albom.com/images/mitch_photo.gif

"I also look in the mirror and convince myself that I am not Scott Baio"

"Look at me, I'm wearing my cousin Fonzie's jacket. HHHHHHHEEEEYYYY"