PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone think the scrubs are gunna do well?

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-31-2005, 12:00 AM
By everyone, i mean the media. They're really not going to do better this season. Just because the RED WHITE and....BLUE? thing worked out like that doesnt mean theyre going to even finish over .500. They have the same stupid manager, same stupid players, and same stupid fans (ish). We already know that we proved the "theres no I in team" theory correct and they proved it wrong with derrek lee.

LuvSox
10-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Does the media really surprise you? Everybody just loves those cute little Cubbie bears.

It will be hilarious when they blow next year too.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Seriously:

:whocares

Banix12
10-31-2005, 12:49 AM
It's that whole curse obsession thing (gonna hear a lot of "Red Sox, White Sox, hmm Cubs in 2006?") and a lot of people in the media are still in love with their pitching.

Just like how early in the postseason the media was all wishing for another Red Sox run, they are gonna wish all offseason for a Cubs run.

Cubs have to make wholesale changes to do it though. Only half that team should probably be major leaguers.

Mr. White Sox
10-31-2005, 03:07 AM
I normally don't follow the Cubs, but I do follow any and all MLB transactions. Thus, I will be really looking at Hendry's spending in the offseason. He supposedly has a large amount of money to spend this winter ($8-12 million in payroll I believe), so let's see what he does with it. Picking up Furcal is a +, as is a bullpen arm and a starter. We shall see.

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 03:20 AM
Let's be frank here. For the Cubbie bears to even get to the World Series they first have to make the playoffs. That would mean they would have to finish in front of St. Louis and Houston not to mention Milwaukee.

Banix12
10-31-2005, 03:23 AM
I normally don't follow the Cubs, but I do follow any and all MLB transactions. Thus, I will be really looking at Hendry's spending in the offseason. He supposedly has a large amount of money to spend this winter ($8-12 million in payroll I believe), so let's see what he does with it. Picking up Furcal is a +, as is a bullpen arm and a starter. We shall see.

He should have a lot more than that to spend. If the Cubs keep their payroll the same I think they have closer to 20-25 million to spend this season. Sosa's contract alone was taking up around $17 million dollars of Cubs payroll, factor in they are no longer gonna pay Burnitz, Borowski, Remlinger, Hawkins and various other smaller contracts they should have quite a bit of money to play around with this offseason, maybe even up to $30 million

Mr. White Sox
10-31-2005, 03:36 AM
He should have a lot more than that to spend. If the Cubs keep their payroll the same I think they have closer to 20-25 million to spend this season. Sosa's contract alone was taking up around $17 million dollars of Cubs payroll, factor in they are no longer gonna pay Burnitz, Borowski, Remlinger, Hawkins and various other smaller contracts they should have quite a bit of money to play around with this offseason, maybe even up to $30 million

Wow. I posted $10-15 million then edited the number down to what you saw, thinking that my estimate was too high, but I had no idea they'd have that much to spend. In that case, if they have 25-30 mil they could easily land Furcal, a top bullpen arm, a middling bullpen arm, a solid middle rotation starter, and maybe even a young, (very) cheap OF.

EDIT: And Anti, I agree. I see the Brewers finishing very well, provided their rookies can contribute. Look for them (the Brewers, that is) to possibly contend for the division and definitely be in the thick of the WC race...especially if they can add more this offseason.

Steelrod
10-31-2005, 06:36 AM
Rest easy...
As long as Dusty is at the helm, our neighbors to the north are going nowhere. When he finally leaves, they will be left with sore arms, bad broadcasters, and probably a new genius general manager. We have our prize. The interleague games with them are just that.
Everybody will be gunning for us. After all, we're the WORLD CHAMPS!:smile:

MadetoOrta
10-31-2005, 08:49 AM
The media has already begun the "It's the Cubs' turn next year" theme. Good for them. Even more presssure to win on top of the fact that the Sox are World Champs. It only makes 2006 cubs elimination day that much sweeter. lovable LOSERS!!!!

TomBradley72
10-31-2005, 09:02 AM
The whole idea that the you win the World Series because it's "your turn" is a complete joke and consistent with a Cubbie culture built on emotion and sentiment. You win the World Series because of great talent, great leadership, great teamwork, the team stays healthy and you get a few breaks. The Cubs are lacking in the first three....and with a very thin free agent crop...it will be difficult to significantly upgrade in the off season. As long as Hendry and Baker are in charge....they are no threat.

itsnotrequired
10-31-2005, 09:17 AM
The media has already begun the "It's the Cubs' turn next year" theme.

I am shocked. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone promote the idea that "next year" is the Cubs' year!:redneck

Lip Man 1
10-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Many think the Cubs are going to do well because on paper they have a terriffic starting rotation, pitching wins pennants, always has, always will, HOWEVER the key word here is 'on paper.'

The fact is they have never been able to stay healthy...maybe some are thinking that sooner or later they have to stay healthy for a season.

We'll see.

Lip

itsnotrequired
10-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Many think the Cubs are going to do well because on paper they have a terriffic starting rotation, pitching wins pennants, always has, always will, HOWEVER the key word here is 'on paper.'

The fact is they have never been able to stay healthy...maybe some are thinking that sooner or later they have to stay healthy for a season.

We'll see.

Lip

This last season, MB threw as many innings as Prior and Wood COMBINED.:tongue:

SoxFan78
10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Because MLB is giving Attendence points in 2006. For every sell out a team will get half of a win.