PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Publications on the Newstands

Brian26
10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Went to Borders and Walgreens tonight in the city. There are a ton of magazines/publications about the White Sox. I'll try to give a quick rundown of what I saw, and if anyone else has seen anything else, please add to the list:

-The Sporting News (cover date 11/4) has a pic of Iguchi turning a DP on Ausmus and lots of World Series Coverage.

-Sports Illustrated (cover date 10/31) shows Pods hitting the walkoff homer off Lidge.

-Chicago Tribune "Believe It! The Story of Chicago's World Champions". (This thing is gorgeous.)

-Street & Smith's "Champions: A Special Commemorative on the 2005 Chicago White Sox."

-Sports Illustrated Commemorative Edition on the 2005 World Champion White Sox.

- "White Sox: 2005 American League Champions" by MMI. This is a cheaper looking book and doesn't include any World Series coverage.

- "Chicago White Sox: 2005 World Champions" by Gold Collectors Series. This is another cheaper magazine, but it is stocked with photos and stories through the World Series.

- I didn't see this today, but some people here mention that the World Series program is at Jewel and Dominicks.

It's amazing that some of these books were put together in less than three days.

Books still to be released:

-The Sun-Times has a book coming out soon (in both hard and soft cover). You can pre-order it online, but I'm not sure it will be in stores.

- The Sporting News has a commemorative book (also taking online pre-orders).

Blob
10-30-2005, 08:59 PM
The Jewel on 159th and 94th ave in Orland Park has the SI and Street & Smiths mags.

They also have Gold Collectors Series, Lindy's Sports and Chicago White Sox 2005 WS Champions Special Collectors Edition by Coincide Publishing. All are about $6-$7.

Brian26
11-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Just an update: I believe this is the complete list of all White Sox World Series magazines and books to date:

-The Sporting News (cover date 11/4) has a pic of Iguchi turning a DP on Ausmus and lots of World Series Coverage.

-Sports Illustrated (cover date 10/31) shows Pods hitting the walkoff homer off Lidge.

-Chicago Tribune "Believe It! The Story of Chicago's World Champions". (This thing is gorgeous.)

-Street & Smith's "Champions: A Special Commemorative on the 2005 Chicago White Sox."

-Sports Illustrated Commemorative Edition on the 2005 World Champion White Sox.

- "White Sox: 2005 American League Champions" by MMI. This is a cheaper looking book and doesn't include any World Series coverage.

- "Chicago White Sox: 2005 World Champions" by Gold Collectors Series. This is another cheaper magazine, but it is stocked with photos and stories through the World Series.

- Lindy's Sports: Sox: World Champions (Ozzie on cover w/ World Series trophy)

- Chicago White Sox: 2005 World Series Champions by Coincide Publishing

- 2005 MLB World Series Official Program (Clemens and Buehrle on cover)

- Books still to be released:

-The Sun-Times has a book coming out soon (in both hard and soft cover). You can pre-order it online, but I'm not sure it will be in stores.

- The Sporting News has a commemorative book (also taking online pre-orders).

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-05-2005, 12:26 AM
I finally found most of these out here in Rockford, Illinois. I only picked up the SI commemorative edition so far, but I'm absolutely amazed at how nice it is. It's more than just 2005 World Series stuff, nearly half of the magazine is about former White Sox stars. Well worth the $6.74 or whatever I paid for it at Wal-Mart. I also plan to pick up the Tribune's magazine as well, which looked amazing when I glanced through it.

chisoxfanatic
11-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Where can the SI and Tribune ones be found? I looked in the local Osco right here in the heart of Bridgeport (31st and Emerald), and came up empty!

skobabe8
11-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Where can the SI and Tribune ones be found? I looked in the local Osco right here in the heart of Bridgeport (31st and Emerald), and came up empty!

Ive found that most Jewels have a Sox stand with the SI's. I was even able to scam a local Jewel into selling me a 18X24 SI cover that was for "display purposes only" for $2.99. I'm gonna put that baby in the most expensive frame I can find!

chisoxfanatic
11-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Ive found that most Jewels have a Sox stand with the SI's. I was even able to scam a local Jewel into selling me a 18X24 SI cover that was for "display purposes only" for $2.99. I'm gonna put that baby in the most expensive frame I can find!

That's awesome! Unfortunately, Osco did have a stand, but I saw neither of them on the rack. I purchased the "Gold Collectors Series" and "Street & Smith's" commemorative editions instead, but want to buy the SI and Tribune ones as well.

WCCJESSE
11-05-2005, 01:35 AM
I have a question is that SI commemoratice edition all about the sox or they only have the cover pic

HotelWhiteSox
11-05-2005, 01:38 AM
I saw 7-11 with about 2 or 3 variations of World Champion commerative issues, but from publisher's I hadn't really heard of before

WCCJESSE
11-05-2005, 01:50 AM
I saw 7-11 with about 2 or 3 variations of World Champion commerative issues, but from publisher's I hadn't really heard of beforeMy sister saw one at walgreens with i think Big Hurt on it but not sure which kind of mag it was:smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-05-2005, 03:08 AM
I have a question is that SI commemoratice edition all about the sox or they only have the cover pic
It is completely about the White Sox, all 84 pages. Amazing, isn't it? Even the few ads in the magazine are White Sox related. :smile:

WCCJESSE
11-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Awesome i thought it was just the cover that would have ticked me off heh:D:

WagMan
11-05-2005, 11:12 AM

Just about every Walgreens got in the SI and Tribune commemorative mags. Plus, we got in another 3-4 mags as well. It'd be nice to pick up one of the hardcover SI editions locally, though. Has anyone seen these in stores?

Brian26
11-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Just about every Walgreens got in the SI and Tribune commemorative mags. Plus, we got in another 3-4 mags as well. It'd be nice to pick up one of the hardcover SI editions locally, though. Has anyone seen these in stores?

I'm fairly certain you have to order it directly from SI. You can order the package for $1.59 issue for a year's subscription, or you can order the book separately for $19.95.

whitesoxwilkes
11-05-2005, 04:48 PM
My binge just keeps on keepin' on.

We were out at Borders in Schaumburg today. I bought the commemorative SI, this week's SI where we're relegated to the upper corner of the cover in favor of Golden Boy Brady and Gomer Manning, the Lindy's commemorative mag, the Street and Smith's commemorative mag and the Sun-Times and Tribune books.

Add another $57.02 to the World Series afterglow tab.

Brian26
11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
My binge just keeps on keepin' on.

We were out at Borders in Schaumburg today. I bought the commemorative SI, this week's SI where we're relegated to the upper corner of the cover in favor of Golden Boy Brady and Gomer Manning, the Lindy's commemorative mag, the Street and Smith's commemorative mag and the Sun-Times and Tribune books.

Mike....Did they have the hardcover and softcover Sun-Times book available?

whitesoxwilkes
11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Mike....Did they have the hardcover and softcover Sun-Times book available?

Negative, my good sir. Softcover only.

chisoxmike
11-05-2005, 08:18 PM
So far (yikes)...

Today I went to Borders and got the Tribs and the Sun-times photo books. I like the Tribune's "Believe It" a little more. In the back it has year by year results and a quick sentence on the season, it also has a game by game log of the 2005 season with a quick sentence.

The past week I've bought..

->Sports Illustrated Commemorative Edition
->Sports Illustrated 10/31 issue with Podsednik's walk-off picture on the cover
->Street & Smith's 2005 Chicago White Sox Champions magazine.
->World Series program (pick this one up by getting through the tight security bubble during the World Series.)
-> Sun-Times special pull out section from Friday

LuvSox
11-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Bought the Street & Smith mag as well as the Gold Collectors Series (decent articles) today.

Bringing my grand total to.........

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

bahn1225
11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
So far (yikes)...
The past week I've bought..

->Sports Illustrated Commemorative Edition

Apparently this is NOT available outside the Chicagoland area.
I can purchase one directly from S.I. (800-274-6800) but I need the date of issue.
Would someone please look on their copy and see what date is on it?

:smile: Thanks in advance:D:

LuvSox
11-05-2005, 11:43 PM
I can purchase one directly from S.I. (800-274-6800) but I need the date of issue.

The date on the bar code is 11-04-05.

That's too bad, it's in great abundance here.

bahn1225
11-05-2005, 11:51 PM
The date on the bar code is 11-04-05.

That's too bad, it's in great abundance here.

Thanks.
I'm sure once again it's the old mindset:
No one cares about the White Sox outside of Chicago.

mike squires
11-06-2005, 12:06 AM

I've been looking for this in the Champaign area and have come up empty handed. What did I do? I drove to Chicago to get it. It took a few stores on the Southside but finally snagged it along with the rest of the mags. Awesome.

RadioheadRocks
11-11-2005, 12:55 AM
I saw something that the Sox were supposed to get the full cover on this week's edition of The Sporting News (dated Nov. 11), however here in the Southwest they're relegated to a small picture in the upper right corner, with the "second half of the NFL season" dominating the cover (***???!!!???!!!). Tell me something, is the full Sox cover just a local/regional deal? If so, I'm gonna have to snag one of those puppies one way or another (not to mention send an email to Sporting News asking whose brillliant editorial decision was THAT???!!!).

Medford Bobby
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
My Sporting News cover had the "Sweep" cover in the mailed edition.........:D:

Realist
11-11-2005, 11:47 PM
There's a picture of me in the Gold Collector's Series magazine on page 5. I'm the guy on the far left side of the picture in the sleeveless pin stripe vest clapping at Game 1. I'm a souvenir.

:bandance:

GoSox2K3
11-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I noticed two errors in the Streets & Smiths publication. First they called the Pierzynski dropped 3rd strike play the potentially "game ending" strikeout of game 2 of the ALCS. Second, they said that the Sox went up 2-0 in the ALDS for the first time since 1917.:?: Yeah, I know what they meant 2-0 in a postseason series, but it was poorly worded.

Just nitpicking - I have enjoyed these publications. Especially the photos.

BeefyD
11-12-2005, 12:12 AM
There's a picture of me in the Gold Collector's Series magazine on page 5. I'm the guy on the far left side of the picture in the sleeveless pin stripe vest clapping at Game 1. I'm a souvenir.

I think we should start a thread about this.... I'm in the Street and Smiths comm. mag.. Page 63, under the big SOX WIN sign.. I'm in the Pierzynski jersey.
You can see my back. :bandance:

LuvSox
11-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Is that a pinkie ring????? :D:

bigsqwert
11-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Anyone know if the Trib book will be available as a hardcover as well?

Brian26
11-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Anyone know if the Trib book will be available as a hardcover as well?

It doesn't appear that it will. I was going to hold out for the hardcover, but ended up picking up the softcovers for both the Sun-Times and Trib books.

By the way, I can't stress enough how good the Sun-Times book is compared to the Trib's. It's nice to have copies of the game stories and recaps in the Sun-Times book.

Iwritecode
11-12-2005, 07:32 PM
I just picked up a mag from Lindy's Sports. :?:

Never heard of them but it has Ozzie on the cover holding the WS trophy over his head in Houston. I flipped through it and it has a lot of interesting historical information and even a section on Sox players in the HOF.

RadioheadRocks
11-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I just received my Sun-Times book today via FedEx... it's as great as everyone says it is! Lots of awesome full-color photography and great articles from games throughout the season as well as the entire post-season! My Tribune, SI and Sporting News books should be enroute, but I'm one happy camper right now!

Realist
11-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Is that a pinkie ring????? :D:

It's actually 2 pinky rings. :cool: Smoove.

MikeW
11-12-2005, 08:51 PM
You guys are lucky. I live in Connecticut and aside from the SI issue of Scott homering on the cover,I can't find anything at all. If it is not Yankees or Red Sox you can forget about it. Couldn't find one single sports store here that even carried anything that had to do with the World Series.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I just got the Sporting News publication and the Tribune publication yesterday. The SN publication is MILES (kilometres) better than the Trib one. Trib is loaded with photos, but the SN one also pays tribute to Sox playoff teams from the past and has more game-by-game coverage. Still haven't received the SI book or the S-T one yet. Are they better than the SN one?

(can't say it enough... THANK YOU THANK YOU WHITE SOX FOR MAKING THESE POSTS POSSIBLE! :bandance: )

GoSox2K3
11-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Is that Sporting News publication available in stores? I haven't seen it around.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Is that Sporting News publication available in stores? I haven't seen it around.
I ordered through Amazon.com. linky (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089204845X/102-0707884-5070529?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance)

Baby Fisk
11-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I ordered through Amazon.com. linky (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089204845X/102-0707884-5070529?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance)
I took another read of the Sporting News publication, and guess who has his very own photo? M&M! Towards the back, something like p. 136 or 140 or around there, top left corner, there's M&M in his famous attire, holding a homemade sign at MM Park. Someone had indicated he was making the trip to Houston and there he is! :bandance:

chisox83
11-18-2005, 02:19 PM
For those in Champaign, the Sporting News, Sun Times (both soft and hardcover), and the Trib books are on the shelf at Barnes & Noble.

And in case it hasn't already been answered, Triumph Publishing (aka the Trib book) has no plans to release a hard cover version.

One final thought, I work in publishing so perhaps I'm more picky about this than most, but the hard cover edition of the Sun Times book (published by Sports Publishing) is of very poor quality. Normally I would buy the hard cover, but after comparing them side by side, the soft cover was superior. Just thought I'd throw that in in case you can only locate the soft...pick it up.

MISoxfan
11-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I've said it in another thread in What's the Score?, but I'll say it again. I thought the Tribune book was really good, but I'm still annoyed that the first word in the first headline is Cubs.

I have no real problem with the article itself, but it shouldn't have been the first one. The second article reads much more like an introduction article. I almost got the feeling that the second article was intended to lead it off, but they decided to throw that first article in there at the last minute.

Baby Fisk
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
I've said it in another thread in What's the Score?, but I'll say it again. I thought the Tribune book was really good, but I'm still annoyed that the first word in the first headline is Cubs.

I have no real problem with the article itself, but it shouldn't have been the first one. The second article reads much more like an introduction article. I almost got the feeling that the second article was intended to lead it off, but they decided to throw that first article in there at the last minute.
To be fair, the full headline is "Cubs Town? Think Again." It's not fawning over the Cubs. Plus there's that lovely skyline photo with buildings lit up to spell SOX. Don't let it annoy you!

skobabe8
11-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I have picked up so many publications, I dont even know what I have. I better see if I have the Sporting news one. It sounds like one of the best.

MISoxfan
11-19-2005, 11:59 AM
The article itself doesn't annoy me. I thought it could have been the last article.

I just didn't like the fact that the opening of the book split time with the Cubs.

Hitmen77
11-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I just picked up a mag from Lindy's Sports. :?:

Never heard of them but it has Ozzie on the cover holding the WS trophy over his head in Houston. I flipped through it and it has a lot of interesting historical information and even a section on Sox players in the HOF.

I bought the Lindy's publication. I like how it has some historical stuff such as the pictures of the Hall of Fame plaques of all former Sox players. But I wasn't too impressed with the writing. According to this publication, Bill Veeck set off the air raid sirens in '59. :?: They also say the Sox put together the Go-Go Sox in 1959 with players such as Busby, Rivera, and Minoso. Of course, we all know that Minoso was NOT on the '59 Sox team.

The other thing that that bothered me was that their intro article was too negative regarding the Sox. Including a quote from Sammy Sosa saying that playing for the Sox "was like being in jail."