PDA

View Full Version : Tribe Signs Gutierrez

WinningUgly!
12-14-2001, 02:47 PM
Not a bad pick up for Cleveland, but he's not quite Robby Alomar.

Oh Rickey... (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1214/1295656.html)

CerberusWG
12-14-2001, 02:50 PM
I still don't understand why the Flubs let him go. He wasn't bad, and Gonzalez has no offense whatsoever. He hit 12 or so homers, but21 BB? .300 OBP? Dumbasses.

WinningUgly!
12-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
I still don't understand why the Flubs let him go. He wasn't bad, and Gonzalez has no offense whatsoever. He hit 12 or so homers, but21 BB? .300 OBP? Dumbasses.

Yep, ya gottsa love it!

kermittheefrog
12-14-2001, 03:02 PM

He's a shortstop with a good defensive rep but can't hit. We can call him Royce-North!

duke of dorwood
12-14-2001, 03:04 PM
Why be the Cubs and not act like them?

RedPinStripes
12-14-2001, 05:51 PM
He might be there to replace Visquel. I hear they are shopping him.

ExSoxFan
12-14-2001, 06:46 PM
That's bad news for the SouthSiders - Gutierrez was one of only TWO Cubs last year who could produce clutch RBI ( Sosa being the other ), and now he'll face the Hose all year. I just don't recall him EVER playing second, so that would reinforce RPS's Vizquel theory. If they get rid of Vizquel, they're pretty damn stupid, if you ask me.

Facing Gutierrez is still WAAAAAAY better than having to deal with Robbie Alomar, though...

Foulke You
12-14-2001, 06:48 PM
"Royce North"

Now that's funny!!

RedPinStripes
12-14-2001, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ExSoxFan
That's bad news for the SouthSiders - Gutierrez was one of only TWO Cubs last year who could produce clutch RBI ( Sosa being the other ), and now he'll face the Hose all year. I just don't recall him EVER playing second, so that would reinforce RPS's Vizquel theory. If they get rid of Vizquel, they're pretty damn stupid, if you ask me.

Facing Gutierrez is still WAAAAAAY better than having to deal with Robbie Alomar, though...

I'll deal with Ricky any day over Alomar. Alomar was a real pain in the ass for the sox for years. Going all the way back to 93.

Mathew
12-14-2001, 11:00 PM

"A-Gon"? Yep, he's brutal. Listen to that... "A-Gon", how about "Atbat-Gon"

Here's some trivia for you?

Who is the only player ever to strike out over 100 times in one season and not hit 1 single homerun? P.S. had a .977fld%career

GASHWOUND
12-15-2001, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I'll deal with Ricky any day over Alomar. Alomar was a real pain in the ass for the sox for years. Going all the way back to 93.

Exactly. We have Alomar out of our way now. He not oly hurt us with the O, but how many great defensive gems did make on us to save a run or to keep runners off base. We better win the central, the "toons are very vulnerable now. Now if Bud can just make those pesky Twins disappear.

czalgosz
12-15-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He's a shortstop with a good defensive rep but can't hit. We can call him Royce-North!

And I remember a lot of people on this very board wanted to sign Alex Gonzalez when he was a Free Agent last winter. Royce is better. The Cubs took a big step backward this winter, unless they sign Moises Alou.

Jjav829
12-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Who is the only player ever to strike out over 100 times in one season and not hit 1 single homerun? P.S. had a .977fld%career

Mike Caruso.

czalgosz
12-15-2001, 01:44 PM
No, Caruso hardly ever struck out - he only had like 70 K's in over 1000 AB's. He also never walked - he just popped up over and over and over, as I remember.

Jjav829
12-15-2001, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
No, Caruso hardly ever struck out - he only had like 70 K's in over 1000 AB's. He also never walked - he just popped up over and over and over, as I remember.

Yeah that was awful to watch. I have one Mike Caruso highlight in my mind. Thats it. It was of course his HR against the Cubs. I kind of ignored the K's thing. But the 1 HR certainly sounds like him. I dont miss Slappy one bit. Especially since his leaving led us to finding a gem in Valentin.

Mathew
12-17-2001, 01:05 AM

"A-Gon"? Yep, he's brutal. Listen to that... "A-Gon", how about "Atbat-Gon"

Need a hint?

Played from 1985-1995 and is most notably a Toronto Blue Jay

RedPinStripes
12-17-2001, 01:16 AM

Need a hint?

Played from 1985-1995 and is most notably a Toronto Blue Jay

I just heard this question the other day on the radio and can't remember the damn answer.

Mathew
12-17-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I just heard this question the other day on the radio and can't remember the damn answer.

Really? Wow, I remember it because my Friend Dan Blackburn used to have Sega Sports Talk Baseball and it was on there, but he would hit with the guy and it drove me nuts!

RedPinStripes
12-17-2001, 01:27 AM

Really? Wow, I remember it because my Friend Dan Blackburn used to have Sega Sports Talk Baseball and it was on there, but he would hit with the guy and it drove me nuts!

hit the guy?

RichH55
12-17-2001, 08:09 AM
On Guitirrez(sic), IIRC he wasn't a bad shortstop and certainly not that bad with the stick, though turning a DP is quite different in terms of being a 2B or a SS, he looks to be a significant downgrade for Alomar in both respects, but I would assume that Omar is going to be gone as well....With Robbie gone(who I would want to keep more than Visquel) why hold on to Visquel when you are trying to move contracts? Rickey is a capable replacement for Omar...I guess it all depends on who else is out there for the Tribe, but IMO if you deal Alomar you are looking to deal Omar as well