PDA

View Full Version : KW love from Sunday NY Daily News

Fenway
10-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Cheap thrills
Bill Madden: There is a lesson to be learned from the way White Sox GM Kenny Williams put together a world championship team with a payroll of $75 million, just as there is for the way Brewers GM Doug Melvin and Indians GM Mark Shapiro have built contending teams with even more limited payrolls.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/360438p-307118c.html)

JorgeFabregas
10-30-2005, 01:55 PM
What are the Brewers contending for? Third place?

WinOrDyeTrying
10-30-2005, 02:00 PM

Hey, the Brewers are my favorite National League team.

JorgeFabregas
10-30-2005, 02:01 PM
That's all well and good, and I agree that their GM has done a good job, but under what definition are they a contending team?

MUsoxfan
10-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Mark my words: The Brewers will win 90 games next year

Fenway
10-30-2005, 02:03 PM
That's all well and good, and I agree that their GM has done a good job, but under what definition are they a contending team?

they finished 2 games ahead of the champions of the North Side :smile: so they win the Edens Expressway Cup :D:

The_Floridian
10-30-2005, 03:18 PM

The Brewers are a step away from being a dominant force in the NL, but almost nobody knows it yet. They need a third baseman and maybe one more starting pitcher, and with Fielder on the bench, they can trade Lyle Overbay to get one or both of those. They are young, hungry, and with Houston and St. Louis about to get weaker, they could be a big threat very soon.

They should compete for the Wild Card next year at the very least, and maybe more. The poster above who said they would win 90 games may very well have given you a conservative estimate.

JorgeFabregas
10-30-2005, 03:37 PM
So what you are saying is that they SHOULD be a contending team next year. They weren't one this year.

WestSox
10-30-2005, 03:46 PM
The poster above who said they would win 90 games may very well have given you a conservative estimate.

:rolleyes:

Going from .500 to over 90 wins is a big step. No doubt that they're a rapidly-improving team with good young pitching, but I think they're still a year away from 90+ victories. Even if the Cards fall and the sCrUBS continue to suck, Houston is still way ahead of them in terms of talent.

The_Floridian
10-30-2005, 03:52 PM
So what you are saying is that they SHOULD be a contending team next year. They weren't one this year.

Ah, I see what you are saying. It is too early to make a judgement on Milwaukee until we see what happens with them over the next year or two.

Agreed. Good point.

gobears1987
10-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Cheap thrills
Bill Madden: There is a lesson to be learned from the way White Sox GM Kenny Williams put together a world championship team with a payroll of $75 million, just as there is for the way Brewers GM Doug Melvin and Indians GM Mark Shapiro have built contending teams with even more limited payrolls.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/360438p-307118c.html)Thanks for another great article link Fenway. Love the sig BTW

batmanZoSo
10-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Media types closer to Reinsdorf say the resentment goes even deeper than that. "This is a town of largely Polish and Irish immigrants and, to them, Jerry's always been viewed as this Jewish guy from Brooklyn who was always an outsider," said one.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, we're just a bunch of bigots over here in Chicago.

"Of course, it didn't help either when he threatened to move the Sox to St. Pete if he didn't get a new stadium.

Ya think that might have a little more to do with it?

NardiWasHere
10-30-2005, 07:43 PM
The Brewers are a step away from being a dominant force in the NL, but almost nobody knows it yet. They need a third baseman and maybe one more starting pitcher, and with Fielder on the bench, they can trade Lyle Overbay to get one or both of those. They are young, hungry, and with Houston and St. Louis about to get weaker, they could be a big threat very soon.

They should compete for the Wild Card next year at the very least, and maybe more. The poster above who said they would win 90 games may very well have given you a conservative estimate.

How will the Cards get weaker? Are any players leaving that skipped my mind? That said, I think they have a very good chance of being Tribe-like next year. Very underrated team.

MadetoOrta
10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I've been a critic of JR for years. Let's stop referencing '94, St. Pete and some of the misguided comments. Under JR's leadership a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP came to the south side. Let's look forward to even brighter days like more pennants, another World Series title or 2 and Chris Young winning AL MVP.:smile:

WSoxFanForever
10-31-2005, 05:58 AM
I live in Wisconsin and adopted the Brewers as my second favorite team. I've rarely missed a night game in years. The Brewers are going to be a contender within two years. They have awesome starting pitching, a great closer, and some rookies from thier farm system that say Superstar. With the 'Stros aging, I can see them overtaking them in a few years. The Cards will be harder to crack, but the Brew Crew has a good chance at a WC in two years, or even maybe next year (although I think it will be a building year). They are a lot like the Sox and I expect good things from them soon. This year they broke twelve years of losing seasons and came on strong the second half. Best of all, they beat the Cubs out. I think that made most Brewer fans very happy! The Brewers Starting Three all had ERAs under 4: Ben Sheets (Ace), Doug Davis (solid lefty), Chris Capuano (18 game winner, also a lefty). They still have Carlos Lee, but I honestly don't think they need him. Their youngsters: Rickie Weeks (2nd base), JJ Hardy (look for him to be an All-Star at shortstop) and Prince Fielder (1st base) and the versatile Bill Hall (plays many infield positions) are all under 24 years old. Geoff Jenkins and Brady Clark are the vet leaders. Derrick Turnbow had 39 saves last year as closer and an ERA under 2. He's da bomb. I think 90 wins is very possible next year.

fquaye149
10-31-2005, 09:11 AM
The Brewers probably will not win 90 games next year. However, it is reasonable to think they will in 2007.

Honestly if you can't give Bob Melvin credit for what he's done there, you must not be much of a baseball fan.

He spun Richie Sexson for: Lyle Overbay, Junior Spivey (who became Tomo Ohka), Craig Counsell, Chad Moeller, and Chris Capuano

Then of course there was the Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino for Carlos Lee trade which worked out just fine for him.

He hired Mike Maddux who seems to be a very good pitching coach and somehow locked up Ben Sheets to a long term deal.

He is set at almost every position except catcher and perhaps centerfield (if you don't have faith in Geoff Jenkins). His other positions? Well - 1B he has to decide b/t Overbay and the #1 prospect in baseball, Prince Fielder. 2B is Rickie Weeks, who if you don't know who he is, you will VERY SOON. SS is Bill Hall - all he did was hit .291 with 17 HR in his second year of pro ball. 3B, I must respectfully disagree with whoever says they need to improve here - in split time Wes Helms hit .298 here. Russel Branyan has a great glove and popped 14 HR. LF is, of course, Carlos Lee, and RF is Brady Clark, who, in case you were taking a snooze all 2005, hit .306.

The pitching staff is looking very good, especially behind a very good pitching coach. Doug Davis, Ben Sheets, Chris Capuano, Tomo Ohka, and Victor Santos are all solid, and more importantly YOUNG, pitchers that make up a staff five deep (something we couldn't even say until this year). Derrick Turnbow heads a very effective bullpen.

Honestly, this team is set for the future. They are in such good position to win - as long as ownership continues their commitment to spending a little bit of money, the Brewers COULD be a contending team (contending for the WS) within 2-3 years.

The four teams who I think are in the best position RIGHT NOW to compete for the future are, in descending order

1.) White Sox
2.) Oakland
3.) Cleveland (put Oakland and Cleveland in either order)
4.) Milwaukee.

FWIW