PDA

View Full Version : JR love from the Boston Sunday Globe

Fenway
10-30-2005, 01:22 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/30/francona_is_moved_to_reflect/?page=full

All together now

Can we say without hesitation that, love him or hate him, Jerry Reinsdorf is the most successful owner in sports? Six world titles for the Chicago Bulls and now a World Series win for the Chicago White Sox, their first in 88 years. Reinsdorf did it so differently in baseball than in basketball. In basketball, he had Michael Jordan, perhaps the greatest player ever. With the White Sox, he had a collection of role players, an outstanding pitching staff, and a charismatic manager who had an aggressive, never-say-die style. Just love these quotes from Ozzie Guillen when he was asked why the 2004 White Sox he took over didn't do the little things to win. ''Last year I couldn't bunt, couldn't get guys to move players along," he said. ''A lot of guys wouldn't hit where I wanted them to. They wanted RBIs. We had good players but we didn't have a good team. Big difference. Look, you see Carl Everett bunt and Paul Konerko try to hit the ball to right field -- that's a team." Why couldn't he get the players to do that in '04? ''Because their coaches and managers in the past let them do whatever they wanted to do. They didn't have enough guts to tell them this is a team, you're not supposed to play for yourself."

and

Remember the name Rick Hahn.

As much as Josh Byrnes, the new general manager in Arizona, benefited from working under Theo Epstein and winning a championship in Boston, Hahn, 34, has done the same for White Sox general manager Kenny Williams. While he aspires to be a GM, Hahn, a Chicagoland native, was still riding high en route to the championship parade Friday morning.

''I'm from here, so to be a part of winning a championship is very moving for me," said Hahn. ''It's been a great five years working under Kenny. We have such an open management style here that we have a constant flow of ideas on how things should be done. It's been a great five years."

Hahn has quite the education pedigree: the University of Michigan, Harvard Law School, and the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern. He spent two years as an agent for the now-defunct Steinberg Moorad and Dunn agency.

''He was one of the brightest young lawyers I've ever worked with," said Jeff Moorad, who is now the Diamondbacks CEO. ''He has a terrific ability to analyze a problem and creatively work through it. The combination of legal skills and business sense is extraordinary. If he chooses to do it, he will make a very effective GM one day."

Hahn's biggest job in the next couple of weeks will be to get Paul Konerko re-signed.

''There's no doubt we want Paulie back," Hahn said. ''We're going to make him a very competitive offer, I know that. We certainly understand his importance to our lineup."

Hahn has fond memories of Boston, where he went to games when he was a law student at Harvard.

''I had a blast there," Hahn said. ''We went to a lot of games and soaked in the Fenway experience. I met my wife at Harvard, made a lot of great friends there.

''I always wanted to get into baseball, and remember reading a Peter Gammons column in Baseball America about these young guns like Paul DePodesta and Josh Byrnes and how they studied sports management in school, and I started to wonder if I was taking the right path going to law school. But I don't regret it. At some point if the situation is right, I'd like to run a team."