PDA

View Full Version : HE SAID WHAT? (Gary Huckaby on the Garcia Trade)

jabrch
10-30-2005, 12:24 PM
jabrch (Chicago): On June 29, 2004, Gary Huckaby Said, "I think they did give up too much, but Iím lower on Freddy than most, and higher on Jeremy Reed than I probably should be." A year later, what do you think of Jeremy Reed, Miguel Olivo, Michael Morse and Freddy Garcia? Do you still think the Sox gave up too much - given that Reed hit .254/.322/.352, the other guys the Ms got are of little value and Garcia had a 3.84 ERA in a very hitters friendly park? Olivo is regressing. Morse can't seem to find a position. Your thoughts now?

Gary Huckabay: I expected Jeremy Reed to show more power and plate discipline than he did, even in spacious Safeco. Iím still not nuts about Garcia, despite his OK ERA on the year. As for Mike Morse, heís something of a mystery at this point, for a number of reasons. Overall, we still donít know how things will end up looking when we evaluate that trade. Aside from the performances in question, thereís the contracts to consider. Iím not sure that itís really all that big of a deal. Kenny Williams deserves credit, though, so consider these official kudos.

And yes, I still think they gave up too much. But a flag flies forever.

Yes Gary - a flag does fly forever.

The_Floridian
10-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Of course we gave up too much! You don't just let go of a Milt Pappas!

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2005, 01:55 PM

ESPECIALLY A CHAMPIONSHIP FLAG!!:cool: :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Of course we gave up too much! You don't just let go of a Milt Pappas!

The Orioles did.They just got a washed up 30 year old hitter
named Frank Robinson in that trade.All he did was lead the A.L.
in BA,HR's,RBI's,win the MVP in a unanimous decision (league MVP's started in 1967,one year later) and lead the O's to a 4 games to none sweep over
the Koufax/Drysdale pitching Dodgers.:D: :D:

But i'm sure you knew that.

fquaye149
10-30-2005, 03:27 PM
I know people say this all the time but honestly:

who is Gary Huckaby? I take it he's a baseball writer but for WHAT? WHERE? WHEN? WHY?

Flight #24
10-30-2005, 03:29 PM

Summation: I thought it was a bad deal because I didn't think Garcia was good and I thought Reed would be great. Instead, Garcia's been great and Reed's been bad, so I guess KW did OK.

But rather than admit my initial assessment was wrong, I'll still claim he gave up too much despite any and all facts to the contrary (including my prior statement).

Vintage BP. "Success outside our model means nothing and must be related to luck".

Idiots.

Soxzilla
10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
All I have to say is...

21 IP, 4 ER, 1 CG, 3-0 record.

Eat it BP. Eat it.

And hopefully choke on it.

Chips
10-30-2005, 03:49 PM
All I have to say is...

21 IP, 4 ER, 1 CG, 3-0 record.

Eat it BP. Eat it.

And hopefully choke on it.

Not to mention winning the Division clinching game, ALDS clinching game, and the WORLD SERIES clinching game. It was a great trade.

The_Floridian
10-30-2005, 04:37 PM
The Orioles did.They just got a washed up 30 year old hitter
named Frank Robinson in that trade.All he did was lead the A.L.
in BA,HR's,RBI's,win the MVP in a unanimous decision (league MVP's started in 1967,one year later) and lead the O's to a 4 games to none sweep over
the Koufax/Drysdale pitching Dodgers.:D: :D:

But i'm sure you knew that.

Yes I knew. Just being silly. :D:

The Critic
10-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Not to mention winning the Division clinching game, ALDS clinching game, and the WORLD SERIES clinching game. It was a great trade.

Not to mention that all three clinchers happened on the road.
All things considered, I'll trade a good outfielder for a good pitcher every time.
It was a great trade indeed.

jabrch
10-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Not to mention that all three clinchers happened on the road.
All things considered, I'll trade a good outfielder for a good pitcher every time.
It was a great trade indeed.

You guys have it all wrong - according to Huckaby, Garcia has only an OK ERA. (3.87 in a hitters ballpark) Yes, top 20 in ERA, in one of the most hitter friendly parks in baseball...that's OK...

Amazing - these fools never give up.