PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to Sox fans and WSI

Dan H
10-30-2005, 08:55 AM
In late 2001, I self-published my book called "Through Hope and Despair - A Fan's Memories of the Chicago White Sox 1967 - 1997." Self-publishing means just that - the writer pays for the printing of the book and then does his/her best to distribute it. Even doing what I did - printing only 1,000 copies- trying to sell a self-published book is very difficult. I found myself unable to get publicity from the Score or Tribune or Sun-Times. Chain bookstores would not carry it.

But now the printing has sold out. I first want to thank George Bova for adverstising the book on WSI. That advertisement not only helped Through Hope and Despair, it lead to the publishing of "Chicago White Sox - 1959 and Beyond" released by by Arcadia Publishing last year. And now I look forward to the release of my third book, this one on the 1977 South Side Hitmen which should come out in early spring. Thanks George!

And if course I want to thank everyone who has bought the book and given me encouragement. I have enjoyed meeting Sox fans at SoxFest and at book signings. I am not a best selling author, but this whole experience has been great. As a fan, I loved writing about memories from the decades. And getting this great feedback from Sox fans made it even better.

Thanks again for all the support. I am hoping there are more books to come.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Glad to help, Dan! There exists far too many misconceptions over the Sox and the fans who support the team. With the decades of past ineptitude on the playing field and front office, it has been left almost solely to Sox Fans to explain ourselves. Your books, along with this website, help dispel these misconceptions and set the record straight.
:thumbsup:

And now that the team has chipped in with a brand-new world championship, the rest of the baseball world must come to attention and take notice of what we have to say. We've made tremendous progress these past seven years and clearly the best times are still ahead of us.
:cool:

:giangreco
"I'm not even doing empty blue seat jokes anymore!"

FarWestChicago
10-30-2005, 11:55 AM
And now I look forward to the release of my third book, this one on the 1977 South Side Hitmen which should come out in early spring.When does the book about 2005 come out? :cool:

zach074
10-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Every book store i go into has a section with Sox stuff and both your books are in there. Keep up the good work, can't wait for the next one.

batmanZoSo
10-30-2005, 12:08 PM
In late 2001, I self-published my book called "Through Hope and Despair - A Fan's Memories of the Chicago White Sox 1967 - 1997." Self-publishing means just that - the writer pays for the printing of the book and then does his/her best to distribute it. Even doing what I did - printing only 1,000 copies- trying to sell a self-published book is very difficult. I found myself unable to get publicity from the Score or Tribune or Sun-Times. Chain bookstores would not carry it.

But now the printing has sold out. I first want to thank George Bova for adverstising the book on WSI. That advertisement not only helped Through Hope and Despair, it lead to the publishing of "Chicago White Sox - 1959 and Beyond" released by by Arcadia Publishing last year. And now I look forward to the release of my third book, this one on the 1977 South Side Hitmen which should come out in early spring. Thanks George!

And if course I want to thank everyone who has bought the book and given me encouragement. I have enjoyed meeting Sox fans at SoxFest and at book signings. I am not a best selling author, but this whole experience has been great. As a fan, I loved writing about memories from the decades. And getting this great feedback from Sox fans made it even better.

Thanks again for all the support. I am hoping there are more books to come.

I read that book in 2002 and I've always reccommended it to Sox fans for reading material. You finally have something positive to write about, so go get 'em. :cool:

duke of dorwood
10-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Dan I bought the book for my mom and she loved it-now I got to share a championship with her-she went 82 years-its a valued part of the Sox stuff she has.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Dan:

Congratulations. It was a pleasure helping out where I could. Look forward to the 3rd book about the 77 team and your 4th book on the 90 club!

Lip

zach23
10-30-2005, 01:38 PM
I bought both your books Dan and enjoyed them. I am always recommending them to family and friends.

skobabe8
10-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I waited on you once at Pepper Jacks in Highland and you were a pleasure to talk to. Cant wait for your new books to come out!

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Thanks again for all the support. I am hoping there are more books to come.I have not been able to find "Through Hope and Despair" in any of the bookstores I frequent. Anyone know of one that might still have a few copies?

Wsoxmike59
10-30-2005, 09:36 PM
I bought both books Dan, and enjoyed 'em immensely. Through Hope & Despair reads like my life following the team, although I jumped aboard the Sox bandwagon in 1968. Just missing out on the frantic and disappointing finish of 1967.

I look FW to your 1977 Hitmen book, and the 1990 Swan Song season at old Comiskey Park. (as Hawk would later call it....the renaissance of White Sox baseball in the city of Chicago!)

Keep up the good work Dan!

P.S. By the way the 1977 season I set my all time high (up until that point) of Sox games attended by going to 25 games that year!!

Later broke in 1990 - 27
and 1991 & 1993 - 30

TornLabrum
10-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Dan, it's the WSI users who should thank you. I loved both books and can't wait for the next one.

Now if you'd like to publish a collection of old "Fallen Arches" columns.... :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Glad to help, Dan! There exists far too many misconceptions over the Sox and the fans who support the team. :thumbsup:

The media portrays White Sox fans as unable to read tomes, let alone write them. Sorry I was too late to the site for your sold out book. I look forward to your book on my namesake - The South Side Hitmen - the first good team I was a fan of (became a fan in 1975 - enough said).

I have a few good books with pictures of Comiskey Park / White Sox teams but only a couple non fiction written books. If there are any other good suggestions let me (us) know.

Thank you Dan for keeping the memory of the White Sox and their Army alive and well!!!

FedEx227
10-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Thank YOU!

You've made Christmas a very easy holiday for me, and a very joyous one for my dad.

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow, that makes me even happier to have a copy. Congrats! I loved it, by the way.

Dan H
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
I appreciate all the nice comments. I hope to keep the White Sox books coming. And Skobobe8, if you see me in Pepper Jacks again, don't be shy. Stop by the table for the a chat.