PDA

View Full Version : Baseless Trade Rumor

Hawk Harrelson
10-30-2005, 12:32 AM
My dad told me he heard of a possible Cotts/Rowand for Sheffield deal with the Yanks. Is this total BS or has anyone else heard anything of this. I do know that Steinbrenner is still excited about Rowand from that series in New York. I assume the Yanks would be eating a good portion of his salary.

I don't like Sheffield, but you can't deny his offensive production. If we lose Pauly I wouldn't mind a deal like this. Perhaps Sheff could play 1B or DH if Thomas isn't around. Sheffield doesn't seem to be a team player, but if anybody can whip him in shape it's Ozzie.

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Does your dad work in an airport? Near guys with cell phones?

mike squires
10-30-2005, 12:45 AM
First post? I don't think this guy or the thread will last very long.

Let the hotstove begin!!!

RKMeibalane
10-30-2005, 12:46 AM
I don't think Reinsdorf or Williams is comfortable with the idea of having a steroid-user on the team.

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 12:57 AM
My dad told me he heard of a possible Cotts/Rowand for Sheffield deal with the Yanks. Is this total BS or has anyone else heard anything of this. I do know that Steinbrenner is still excited about Rowand from that series in New York. I assume the Yanks would be eating a good portion of his salary.

I don't like Sheffield, but you can't deny his offensive production. If we lose Pauly I wouldn't mind a deal like this. Perhaps Sheff could play 1B or DH if Thomas isn't around. Sheffield doesn't seem to be a team player, but if anybody can whip him in shape it's Ozzie.

And my dad told me that

:threadblows:

itsnotrequired
10-30-2005, 12:59 AM

Hot stove? Throw this trade idea right in the furnace.

mike squires
10-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Hot stove? Throw this trade idea right in the furnace.:)

The Wimperoo
10-30-2005, 01:12 AM
The sad part was that this was in one of the NY papers a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to find the link. It was some stupid columnists wishlist for the Yankees.

The Wimperoo
10-30-2005, 01:19 AM
It was a Joel Sherman article in the NY Post. He made up 5 trades that the Yankees should make. The whole article isn't online, someone posted it on a different message board I go to. It's one of the dumbest articles I have ever seen.

Aaron Rowand, Neal Cotts and Jerry Owens to the YANKEES; Sheffield to the WHITE SOX.

WHY THE YANKEES WOULD DO IT: Rowand is an affordable ($3.25M each of the next two seasons), superb defensive center fielder who has 20 homer/20 steal possibilities. Cotts is the kind of dominant lefty reliever the Yanks have not had. He had a breakout season: 4-0, 1.94 ERA, .179 BA against, 1 HR in 60.1 IP. Among pitchers with 50 IP, Cotts had the fourth-best OPS against (.527). Owens is an athletic Double-A outfielder. This trade is dangerous for the Yanks because they are gambling on small samples from Rowand and, especially, Cotts, and also that they can find an impact bat elsewhere such as free-agent Brian Giles to replace Sheffield. It may be that the White Sox have to give a better prospect than Owens to balance the trade.

WHY THE WHITE SOX WOULD DO IT: They were willing to add Ken Griffey Jr. in season to slug better and now there is a strong belief that their best power source, Paul Konerko, will leave for either the West Coast or Red Sox in free agency. It might even behoove the Yanks to see if they could get in the middle of a three-way trade with the Reds in which the White Sox get Griffey, the Yanks get Rowand and Cincy gets prospects from both (the Yanks don't lose Sheffield in that scenario). Chicago can certainly afford to move Rowand. Scott Podsednik could slide over from left to center, and in Brian Anderson at Triple-A and Chris Young at Double-A, the White Sox have two of the majors' best center-field prospects nearly ready.

chisoxmike
10-30-2005, 01:19 AM
:bs:

Why would Kenny trade for a selfish, average outfielder, that would not fit into this team?

tweek57
10-30-2005, 01:27 AM

Why would Kenny trade for a selfish, average outfielder, that would not fit into this team?
Gary Sheffield is anything but an average offensive player. He is a great offensive player.

itsnotrequired
10-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Gary Sheffield is anything but an average offensive player. He is a great offensive player.

He is also 38 years old.

Pass...

DumpJerry
10-30-2005, 01:41 AM

First post a year after joining? What took so long? Nothing exciting took place during the year?

JUribe1989
10-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Your trade ideas remind me of your namesake's trade ideas. Hawk Harrelson and you are great GM's.

RedPinStripes
10-30-2005, 03:16 AM
So the White Sox win the World series and people now want every ******* in baseball that makes a lot , too old, too selfish, and no where near a team player.

jabrch
10-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I don't want to go anywhere near anyone on the potential steroids list. Sheff, while a great hitter, is clearly on the suspected list. Thus - I'll pass. Give me Manny over him in a heartbeat.

batmanZoSo
10-30-2005, 12:24 PM
While I was watching this team rampaging through the playoffs without the aide of a single superstar hitter and with unparalleled team chemistry, I thought "man, we could really use a guy like Sheffield."

:rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2005, 12:40 PM

Why would Kenny trade for a selfish, average outfielder, that would not fit into this team?Haven't you heard? The other 29 teams are nothing but a farm system for the Yankees.

The Wimperoo
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Just for giggles let's look at the other trades that Joel Sherman is sure to fix the Yankees and the rest of the league will agree to.

1. Craig Counsell, Carlos Quentin, Kaz Matsui, Aaron Heilman, Anderson Hernandez and Ron Villone to the YANKEES; Carlos Delgado to the METS; Gary Sheffield and Carl Pavano to the MARLINS; Mike Cameron and Paul LoDuca to the Diamondbacks.

2. Torii Hunter and Justin Speier to the YANKEES; Orlando Hudson and Alexis Rios to the TWINS; Gary Sheffield to the BLUE JAYS.

3. Torii Hunter and Rod Barajas to the YANKEES; Gary Sheffield and Scott Proctor to the RANGERS; Alfonso Soriano and Bubba Crosby to the TWINS.

4. Jim Thome to the YANKEES; Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright and Tony Womack to the PHILLIES.

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2005, 01:24 PM
This deal happens only in Steinbrenner's WETTEST dreams.

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Selfish,average outfielder?? Are you sure you're not talking
about Albert Belle????:D: :D: :D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I'll pass. Give me Manny over him in a heartbeat.

Don't hold your breath for either.

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Haven't you heard? The other 29 teams are nothing but a farm system for the Yankees.

Well, I'd say the Pirates are more of a Cub farm team, but other than that, sure :D: